Trump calls for politicians to control interest rates and inflation

Biden had nothing to do with inflation.

"unnecessary Govt spending"? You mean Trump's $8 trillion of debt.
I agree that inflation is a lagging indicator, but I think Biden as well as Trump are responsible for it.

I agree that inflation is a lagging indicator, but I think Biden as well as Trump are responsible for it.
I think Biden may have exacerbated it, but I put most of the exacerbation blame on the Fed for waiting to long to raise interest rates.

I believe Powell even blames himself for ignoring the signals.

Sure. Both caused it. By necessarily dumping trillions onto the economy due to Covid.

It is declining nicely now

A distinction without much difference.

The difference being most commercial paper is not backed by collateral.

CMBS, on the other hand, which is what JohnDB's chart was showing, are backed by collateral.

In any case, neither term has anything to do with homes.

The difference between weeks or months and a decade or more is kind of a big deal.

The difference between weeks or months and a decade or more is kind of a big deal.
True. I let myself get sucked into conflating the two since JohnDB had. I should have immediately corrected him, but I was busy correcting his misapprehension about home mortgages.

Thanks for jumping in.

Monetized debt doesn't count as debt?
The Fed monetizes our debt, not anyone else.

And they do it during financial crises to increase liquidity.

They later demonetize it, except now our crises are coming more and more frequently.

They were at $4.5 trillion after the 2008 crash, then they demonetized down to $3.75 trillion (which is still too high IMO), and then really went crazy during Covid and increased their balance sheet to (I just looked it up) $ 9 trillion, just as I mentioned earlier.

They have since demonetized to $8 trillion.

I think where the Fed started to lose it's mind is when they began putting MBS and other Wall Street products on their balance sheet.

That was a huge bailout of our financial institutions which I have grave reservations about.

Nonetheless, not all of their monetization was federal debt.

I have some bad news for you since most Trumpers want to see America fail.

Home mortgage delinquencies have been steadily declining for Biden's entire term.

home-deliquencies.jpg

Of course it's declining, fewer and fewer people have mortgages. The ones that do, like me are more financially stable.

Debt does not cause hyperinflation. It can cause inflation, but not hyperinflation.

Take a class in economics.

Mind you, no one has talked about our debt on this forum than me.

It is sickening to watch the right wing hacks convince themselves the GOP is fiscally responsible.

Well that just not true, in fact there is another thread on this very topic that was started before yours.

Of course it's declining, fewer and fewer people have mortgages.
Wrong.

The home ownership rate has remained steady since the pandemic. In fact, it has been higher during Biden's term than during Trump's administration, with the exception of the pandemic spike when interest rates were the lowest in decades.

That's when I refinanced my mortgage. I have a ridiculously low rate.

See for yourself:

The Fed monetizes our debt, not anyone else.

And they do it during financial crises to increase liquidity.

They later demonetize it, except now our crises are coming more and more frequently.

They were at $4.5 trillion after the 2008 crash, then they demonetized down to $3.75 trillion (which is still too high IMO), and then really went crazy during Covid and increased their balance sheet to (I just looked it up) $ 9 trillion, just as I mentioned earlier.

They have since demonetized to $8 trillion.

I think where the Fed started to lose it's mind is when they began putting MBS and other Wall Street products on their balance sheet.

That was a huge bailout of our financial institutions which I have grave reservations about.

Nonetheless, not all of their monetization was federal debt.

Monetized debt is still debt. For this topic, debt added by president, it doesn't matter.

No, Trump doesnt want inflation, but if Kamala wins youll have your fill of it.
No one knows what the future will bring BUT you can almost bet for sure no matter who wins we will have more inflation. The degree largely depends on how the world situation improves or worsens. I am concerned it's going to worsen. No one is addressing the primary problems as of yet.

People have been buying houses all during this period of inflation. They know they can refinance when inflation goes back down.

That's exactly what my son did. Like Fed Chairman Powell, though, he waited too long despite my warnings to him to hurry. :lol:

Monetized debt is still debt. For this topic, debt added by president, it doesn't matter.
Again, not all $35 trillion of our debt has been monetized.

That's why we don't have hyperinflation.

$9 trillion of debt has been monetized, but not all of it is federal debt. Some of it is Wall Street debt, but I have no idea what the ratio is. I could probably look it up somewhere.

Forum List

Back