Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

Colleges have the right not to promote hate speech.

Promote hate speech? What in the hell are you talking about? Define hate speech. I regard virtually everything that falls from the lips of leftists hate speech: a river of lies, a stream of racist, race-baiting filth, sexual degeneracy, hatred of America and liberty.
You know what hate speech is since you apparently listen to it all the time.

So, you believe that we fought for independence to stop the British use of free speech against us?

Keep it in the realm of the topic. I've seen no one (other than those on this forum) claim that they accept violence to silence those they disagree with. However, we have actual deeds in the real world by the left over the past few years of leftists using violence to try and silence those they disagree with.

You have some clown here in this thread, taking statements out of context to try and say that speech itself is violence.
"So, you believe that we fought for independence to stop the British use of free speech against us?"

We had First Amendment rights before the Constitution was ratified?

That aside, violence is neither free speech nor protected by the Constitution.
Correct.

Violence is NOT free speech.
it isn't a protest either. it's a riot.
They can riot all they wish, as long as it does not interfere with another's right to speak or exercise their Constitutional right.

I mean, think about what it is they are protesting or rioting against and the purpose of those riots or protests.

They wish to oppress a thought or idea that they do not want to be spread because they disagree with it.
exactly, they resort to violence in the riot to scare away the opposition. The thing they don't understand is that the opposition can fight back. And the MSM only reports on the fighting back. what a society of evil!!!!

Bullshit.

Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

LOL @ Dems all over, America, gnashing their teeth over this

Are you accusing me of being racist?

Please show evidence, or take it back.

I was using a form of rebuttal you said you support and enjoy seeing.

That's not hyperbole, that's an accusation of racism.

Either back it up or take it back.

It was a vast generalization. Another form of the type of argument you said you support.

No, you made a specific accusation, now back it up or take it back.

LOL Do you need a safe space now?

You accused me of being a racist. I just want you to back it up, or retract your statement.

Nothing safe about that.

Really? Were you just as concerned when Obama claimed his election would lead to the oceans would stop rising, and the planet would heal"?

Have you not read any of my posts concerning Obama? I supported very little of what he did.

Then why do you care about Trump's hyperbole?

Do I need to take this to an elementary level?

I did NOT support when Obama did it so why would I support Trump doing it? Is that simple enough?

Ah one of those "stand in the middle of the road, get hit by traffic in both directions" viewpoints.

Good luck with that.

It is frustrating having actual principles when few others do.

Enjoy your principles lying flat and dead in the middle of the road.

Without them we are still flying the Union Jack and blacks still have to drink out of separate fountains.
You want to overthrow the government?

How does suppressing free speech at liberal colleges accomplish that?

I wanted to address your point. Obviously I did since you felt to reply as you did.
You did not address #558

Liberal students at our universities have the temperament of 3-year old children who must express themselves with violent action instead of thoughts and reason

I did address 558. I am not going to reply to your vast generalizations. If you have a specific instance, I will address my opinion.
Pick any liberal student riot at any liberal university

there are plenty to choose from

the students claim the only response to speech they dont like is violence

which makes them over-educated morons

Middlebury Professor Injured as Protest Against Racist Author Turns Violent

You want me to defend against the idea of people getting violent concerning allowing racist speech on campus?

No, I won't do that. I will defend his right to spew his racism on the street corner but in a setting of higher education?

There is no such thing. Yes that was my point. The complete misrepresentation of the issue out of people like yourself.

Sorry, but it is not a misrepresentation, at worst it is an exaggeration to make a point.

If you have a point you don't have to "exaggerate".

Many degrees offered have no value except to propagate the topics at the academic level.

But obviously you will continue to.

An accounting degree leads to becoming an accountant. An Engineering degree leads to becoming an Engineer. A Criminal Justice degree leads to becoming a Cop or a Lawyer. A Women's studies degree prepares you to get your doctorate and teach women's studies.

The other issue is a liberal arts degree used to teach critical thinking and rigorous questioning, now it leads to groupthink and acceptance of dogmatic rote.

You simply no longer like the questions being asked.
It is a common dodge of conservatives. They pretend that most college students get worthless degrees. It supports their claim that college is a waste of time.

But most college degrees are in Business, Education, Healthcare, Liberal Arts and STEM

Liberal arts includes women's studies.

It's not Republicans complaining about it, its the people getting the degrees and finding out business owners don't want them, or at least don't want them at the salary they are expecting.

Let’s see Logic 101

Liberal Arts includes Women’s Studies, therefore all Liberal Arts degrees are Women’s Studies degrees

it falls more under my statement of degrees going from teaching critical thinking to teaching rote acceptance.

Have you not read any of my posts concerning Obama? I supported very little of what he did.

I did NOT support when Obama did it so why would I support Trump doing it? Is that simple enough?

Ah one of those "stand in the middle of the road, get hit by traffic in both directions" viewpoints.

Good luck with that.

Kinda like MLK?

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?

It does https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/gayerdrukkergold_stadiumsubsidies_090816.pdf

federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000.

Just saying....

That's States offering the bonds, not the feds. The Feds just allow them to be tax free.

You would have to ask Trump that. I don't do progressives projection of what I think he would do in order to win argument points on an internet forum.

Discussion forums are for questions like that but that was my original point. Trump writes EO's but then does nothing. They are a stupid waste of time but people eat them up for some reason.

If a military academy that is taking federal dollars turns away someone speaking in favor of gay rights, that academy should face fines.

Trump's EO says they lose funding.
So, when Obama wrote an EO/EA regarding DACA, was that waste to time?

I addressed that already.

Obama Broke His Promise to Latinos

It was the act of a coward on his way out of the door.

After all, the left have managed to get a federal judge to act rashly and support it as if it were law.

What is to say that the right won't do the same for this EO?

In reality, why isn't Trump pushing for legislation the specifically criminalizes Universities discriminating against speech oppression?

I said that if that is what he wants that is what he should do. Not write lazy EO's. I thought you said you had read what I wrote already?
Every Executive for the past 50 years has lazily written EO's. It is a reality that we have to deal with.

No we do not. We do because we do not want the "other guy" to win so we condemn their guy when they do it but defend our guy when they do it. Stop defending it.

The sad part of this is that this is even a thing. There are people here and in the rest of the country who are actually defending the practice of oppression speech they disagree with.

All around.
In fact, you do. Or is it your contention that going forward, no President is going to write an EO/EA?

No American should be supporting a University suppressing speech or the exchange of ideas.

Good luck with that.

Kinda like MLK?

he didn't stand in the middle of the road.

My God, are you that full of yourself and delusional that you are comparing yourself to MLK?

Then you would be barred from every college in the country.
Nah. Because I am not speaking hate. You just don't get it. Nobody has to accept or be quiet about the continuing racism of whites like you. You've listened to the president of race pimping, Rush Limbaugh, for too long son.
Of everyone on this forum, you are among the leaders of speaking hate. Given that, I would allow you to speak at any University. You cannot say the same.

I wanted to address your point. Obviously I did since you felt to reply as you did.
You did not address #558

Liberal students at our universities have the temperament of 3-year old children who must express themselves with violent action instead of thoughts and reason

I did address 558. I am not going to reply to your vast generalizations. If you have a specific instance, I will address my opinion.
Pick any liberal student riot at any liberal university

there are plenty to choose from

the students claim the only response to speech they dont like is violence

which makes them over-educated morons

You want me to defend against the idea of people getting violent concerning allowing racist speech on campus?

No, I won't do that. I will defend his right to spew his racism on the street corner but in a setting of higher education?
I see that you cant defend free speech rights unless you agree with the speaker

thats completely contrary to the principles the country and our Constitution are based on

We all know why trump did this. Lets not pretend he isn't trying to force colleges to accept white nationalists as campus speakers.

Nah. Because I am not speaking hate. You just don't get it. Nobody has to accept or be quiet about the continuing racism of whites like you. You've listened to the president of race pimping, Rush Limbaugh, for too long son.
Of everyone on this forum, you are among the leaders of speaking hate. Given that, I would allow you to speak at any University. You cannot say the same.
Unfortunately for your lie, I haven't spoken a word of hate and I've already spoken on college campuses.

I’m not a fan or riots and violence

see post #558

Without them we are still flying the Union Jack and blacks still have to drink out of separate fountains.

You did not address #558

Republicans dont like government students loans because it allows minorities to move above their proper standing as they perceive it.

Seriously, it's not that difficult to provide examples if you have a case to make. If you prefer to deal in vast generalization that is my last reply in kind to you about yours.
I would have thought better of you than that, but it appears that I was wrong.

YOU do not know what Republicans do or don't like it appears.

The government should not be in the business of inflating the cost of education. There ARE good and reasonable alternatives to basket weaving.

Discussion forums are for questions like that but that was my original point. Trump writes EO's but then does nothing. They are a stupid waste of time but people eat them up for some reason.

Trump's EO says they lose funding.
So, when Obama wrote an EO/EA regarding DACA, was that waste to time?

I addressed that already.

Obama Broke His Promise to Latinos

It was the act of a coward on his way out of the door.

After all, the left have managed to get a federal judge to act rashly and support it as if it were law.

What is to say that the right won't do the same for this EO?

In reality, why isn't Trump pushing for legislation the specifically criminalizes Universities discriminating against speech oppression?

I said that if that is what he wants that is what he should do. Not write lazy EO's. I thought you said you had read what I wrote already?
Every Executive for the past 50 years has lazily written EO's. It is a reality that we have to deal with.

No we do not. We do because we do not want the "other guy" to win so we condemn their guy when they do it but defend our guy when they do it. Stop defending it.

The sad part of this is that this is even a thing. There are people here and in the rest of the country who are actually defending the practice of oppression speech they disagree with.

All around.
In fact, you do. Or is it your contention that going forward, no President is going to write an EO/EA?

I clearly said what I said. I said I will condemn it as lazy.

No American should be supporting a University suppressing speech or the exchange of ideas.

I'm going to support students when they protest racism.

Unfortunately for your lie, I haven't spoken a word of hate and I've already spoken on college campuses.
You speak hate each and every day that I've run across you. You can lie to yourself and think that you are not, but I don't really care about the lies you tell yourself.

Forum List

Back