Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.
and we have less riots when the left has guest speakers on campus?

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

giving in is only going to empower them to do it again.
No one "invites" Antifa to these protests--they sneak/trickle in and once there is a big enough crowd to hid themselves, they get to work. They are not part of the college community and do not belong on campus. If I were a campus security official, I would make sure that anyone wearing a mask or bandanna over their face would be removed without further discussion.

The ONLY thing this EO shows is that the President is watching too much Fox.

That's bullshit. The campus groups that oppose the speakers I am sure have contacts with the more radical protest groups, and I'm sure some are attending the schools in question. given Anti-fa's penchant for masks, saying "they aren't part of us" is a convinent excuse used by SJW types on campus to get what they want and proclaim their hands clean.
Make up whatever scenarios you like, Marty. You have absolutely no basis for that, except that you would like it to be true. Security personnel and left wing protest organizers tell the real story.

Bullshit. Plenty of on campus groups protest and disrupt the speeches of right leaning groups and people. Hell they even form groups specifically for that purpose.

Violent Middlebury protesters injure professor, force invited speaker to flee lecture hall - FIRE

As soon as Murray took the stage, students stood up, turned their backs to him and started various chants that were loud enough and in unison such that he could not talk over them.

Violent Middlebury protesters injure professor, force invited speaker to flee lecture hall - FIRE

"The Fire"? :rofl:

Your video doesn't show anyone "forced to flee" -- did you even watch it?

Are you actually saying that whatever crackpot you want has an inherent right to be heard on any college campus you don't even attend, while the students who ARE on that campus ----- do not?

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

Funny how he takes the direct-opposite position with the media, innit.

Rump doesn't allocate that funding anyway. If you believe this, he's got a bridge for sale too. Nice bridge. Goes nowhere.
so obammy didn't bail out the car industry?
He saved the car industry
Nonsense

the car industry was not going to disappear with or without obama

No one "invites" Antifa to these protests--they sneak/trickle in and once there is a big enough crowd to hid themselves, they get to work. They are not part of the college community and do not belong on campus. If I were a campus security official, I would make sure that anyone wearing a mask or bandanna over their face would be removed without further discussion.

ahhh so the talking points have arrived huh? you're now the second one with the same statement. they call that boilerplating. oops. antifa started at Universities.
Antifa started in Europe during WWII, you jerk. I'm telling you what left wing protesters have said. They ought to know--they were there, which you weren't.

That is possibly one of the dumbest statements I have ever seen on this board. SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED dumb.

It was loser college age kids who pushed the nazi's back?

Anti-fa is to actual anti-fascists as MTV currently is to music.
Try educating yourself. It's a lot more convincing than just making up shit.
Antifa (United States) - Wikipedia

Wow, back to Mussolini?
These spoiled children have nothing to do with the anti-fa groups of the past.

Also, Groups like Red Army Faction, Action Directe, and the Red Brigades all claimed to be "anti-fascist"

Do you think today's groups are the same as those others?

Do you purport to speak FOR them?

What is going to happen as soon as Trumps mandate goes into effect is a far left speaker who wants to talk about abortion rights will apply to speak at Liberty University

Then Trump will be forced to show how sincere he is about freedom of speech
I already pointed out to you that Liberty does not receive federal funds

so like the song says, Sumthin from nuthin leaves nuthin

Of course they do.
Conservatives make sure of it

Liberty University - Wikipedia

Federal funding
In 2010, students received about $445 million in federal financial aid money in 2010, the highest total of any school in Virginia and one of the highest in the country

Best damn thing he has ever done since being president. the million dollar question is though will be a hypocrite and reverse himself when colleges protest against Israel whom he worships and puts the interests of first instead of America?
Colleges protest Israel all the time. What's prohibited is any support for israel.

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Disrespecting the US flag and National Anthem isn't free speech, its an insult to those who died in-service to the country.
It has nothing to do with BLM.
Neither is antifa rioting "free speech"
Nor is hitting conservatives with pies "free speech"
Nor is indoctrinating college kids into liberalism using grades as leverage "free speech"
Why do you have a problem presenting both liberalism and conservatism fairly, since tax dollars are involved?

when you salute the flag,you are saluting the CIA and our corrupt government who is out to kiss us all.:abgg2q.jpg:

I tip my hat off the NFL players who kneel.i ALWAYS leave to go to the restroom when they play the national anthem,i am not about to salute our corrupt government and CIA that starts wars around the world.LAND OF THE FREE? Uh this is no free country,its th eland of the OPPRESSED.

From that dumbass statement I can tell that you've never served your country.
Saluting the flag has not one damn thing to do with the CIA but everything to do with the constitution, our history and all of those who've sacrificed and given their all to keep this nation free.
Maybe if you had served you would'nt be so damned clueless and stupid today.

Disrespecting the US flag and National Anthem isn't free speech, its an insult to those who died in-service to the country.
Nor is indoctrinating college kids into liberalism using grades as leverage "free speech"
Why do you have a problem presenting both liberalism and conservatism fairly, since tax dollars are involved?

when you salute the flag,you are saluting the CIA and our corrupt government who is out to kiss us all.:abgg2q.jpg:

I tip my hat off the NFL players who kneel.i ALWAYS leave to go to the restroom when they play the national anthem,i am not about to salute our corrupt government and CIA that starts wars around the world.LAND OF THE FREE? Uh this is no free country,its th eland of the OPPRESSED.

Saluting the flag has not one damn thing to do with the CIA but everything to do with the constitution, our history and all of those who've sacrificed and given their all to keep this nation free.

Uh.... really.

WHERE is "the flag" in the Constitution? Hm?

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

The only sad thing about this is that is was required to happen by the lefts inability to share the playing field of ideas.

They don't have ideas, they have hate, jealousy, greed, and rage....as well as racism and misogyny....

You mean instead of leftist college presidents?

I prefer trump over them

i prefer "we the people" decide and leave it at that. but when there are colleges who actively silence dissenting opinions, they need to know that's a party foul. if you're going to give one side campus resources for their ideas, it goes to all.

You're too simple to understand consequences, Simon. I doubt you ever attended a U. or 4-year college, and don't understand that free speech on campuses began at CAL in the 60's; then, the establishment with the go ahead from Reagan used tear gas and SWAT teams to quell a non violent protest.

Trump is a reactive and impulsive actor, one who never seems to consider consequences beyond what he wants, now. The facts we have seen is he never takes advice before he acts, and when consequences foreseen by others occur, he blames others for those consquences.

As my colleague rightwinger posted, what if Liberty University is inundated by supporters of abortion, or athiests who argue there is no god and pose all of the arguments in opposition to the clergy as nothing more than demagogues and charlatans?
The students you speak of liked college so much that some of them never left

they infest our universities and use their power to restrict conservative speakers
dude, they just arrested a father that was living in a dorm and exploiting the girls in that dorm. If you need any evidence of influential support living on campus, look no farther than here.

N.J. man who moved into daughter’s dorm at elite college charged with sex trafficking, extortion
Is this an example of the liberal claim that women are the equal of men in every way?

why didnt the Sisterhood turn the tables on the man and make him work for them?

Duckworth on NFL anthem policy: I fought to defend right to take a knee in protest

you have no idea what leaders do. not one iota of knowledge. it's amazing, every leader did something differently. to say anything different, ignores history. and since it's you, that poop between your ears are affecting your thought process.

EO's are temporary and very hard to enforce if they are enforced at all. This is not what leaders do.

You let us know when it's ever enforced.
then why do the presidents use them? obammy used it way more than trump. fk dude, he got the DACA thing on an EO. That's still active and held up by federal judges. me thinks you are mistaken.

I have condemned Obama over and over for doing DACA as an EO. Yes it was the action of a lazy worthless president unwilling to actually stand behind his promises.

Obama Broke His Promise to Latinos
yep so? it still is law. an EO. so, your initial point was stupid. My post again proves I have the facts and you got shit still.

Laws can't be simply ignored. The next president can simply ignore an EO. It's not law, it's tied up in the courts. It shouldn't be.
then why can't trump stop the DACA EO?

and we have less riots when the left has guest speakers on campus?

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

giving in is only going to empower them to do it again.

That's bullshit. The campus groups that oppose the speakers I am sure have contacts with the more radical protest groups, and I'm sure some are attending the schools in question. given Anti-fa's penchant for masks, saying "they aren't part of us" is a convinent excuse used by SJW types on campus to get what they want and proclaim their hands clean.
Make up whatever scenarios you like, Marty. You have absolutely no basis for that, except that you would like it to be true. Security personnel and left wing protest organizers tell the real story.

Bullshit. Plenty of on campus groups protest and disrupt the speeches of right leaning groups and people. Hell they even form groups specifically for that purpose.

As soon as Murray took the stage, students stood up, turned their backs to him and started various chants that were loud enough and in unison such that he could not talk over them.

Are you actually saying that whatever crackpot you want has an inherent right to be heard on any college campus you don't even attend, while the students who ARE on that campus ----- do not?
if they are invited sure. why wouldn't they be allowed? you haven't answered my last ask on this.

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?
The "children" are the problem. They throw a temper tantrum when someone with adult ideas enters their safe space.

My bad, I should have realize this is another sad re-hash of a hot button issue.......

Last year, the University of California, Berkeley, campus literally erupted in flames as a planned speech by conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos devolved into violence: stones and fireworks were hurled at police, windows were shattered, riots turned injurious. Though the destruction then came from off-campus groups, for the next few months, highly public battles around free expression were waged at the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement.

President Trump raised a threat of yanking federal funds over the university’s response to Yiannopoulos (he mischaracterized the situation, saying Berkeley had not allowed Yiannopoulos to speak, when in fact the institution did give him permission).

The former Breitbart editor tried to visit the campus again several months after the protests for a “free speech week” -- declaring he would challenge the status quo grip of liberalism on the campus. The event forced the university to shell out about $1 million in security, though the planned events largely fizzled. Ann Coulter, the hot-button author, also sent her online following after the institution after she had been invited to speak there, but perceived a lack of support by administrators for her talk (she ultimately never appeared). Two conservative student groups filed a federal lawsuit against university officials asserting their free speech rights had been infringed.

But more than a year later, the Berkeley campus is seemingly free of such drama. It has hosted controversial right-wing figures such as TurningPoint USA leaders Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens, commentator Heather Mac Donald and talk-radio host Dennis Prager with little incident.

Students and administrators credit the change in part to the intent of the speakers coming to the university: not to rile up the student body, but instead to engage in discussion. The speakers voiced conservative views but did not insult Berkeley students or groups of students, as others had previously.

This follows two shifts on campus. Most recently, the university’s free speech policies were revised, after being vetted by a university commission. And new student groups were founded intent on promoting “civil dialogue” in wake of the fiascos with Coulter and Yiannopoulos.

New policies, student groups change the culture of free speech at Berkeley
You just proved my point. The college brats threw a temper tantrum because someone said something they didn't like.

The change as outlined in my link happened well before the Don's EO was signed.

EO's are temporary and very hard to enforce if they are enforced at all. This is not what leaders do.

You let us know when it's ever enforced.
then why do the presidents use them? obammy used it way more than trump. fk dude, he got the DACA thing on an EO. That's still active and held up by federal judges. me thinks you are mistaken.

I have condemned Obama over and over for doing DACA as an EO. Yes it was the action of a lazy worthless president unwilling to actually stand behind his promises.

Obama Broke His Promise to Latinos
yep so? it still is law. an EO. so, your initial point was stupid. My post again proves I have the facts and you got shit still.

Laws can't be simply ignored. The next president can simply ignore an EO. It's not law, it's tied up in the courts. It shouldn't be.
then why can't trump stop the DACA EO?

The courts have wrong stepped in. In this case it wouldn't have really mattered as Trump wouldn't have actually done anything. But in the end, it's still in the courts which is kinda my point. Even if Trump tried to enforce this it will be tied up in the courts until after he is gone.

EO's are not about doing the right thing. EO's are about dividing.

Duckworth on NFL anthem policy: I fought to defend right to take a knee in protest
every soldier did. so what again. no one is saying they don't have the right to take a knee. As always, your poop between the ears is affecting your thought process.

if they are invited sure. why wouldn't they be allowed? you haven't answered my last ask on this.

That ISN'T YOUR POST, numbnuts. Are you posting under two different names?

Further, you can't even read what I wrote, which is why you're already on Ignore, which is why I never saw your "last ask", whatever that means.

What is going to happen as soon as Trumps mandate goes into effect is a far left speaker who wants to talk about abortion rights will apply to speak at Liberty University

Then Trump will be forced to show how sincere he is about freedom of speech
I already pointed out to you that Liberty does not receive federal funds

so like the song says, Sumthin from nuthin leaves nuthin

Of course they do.
Conservatives make sure of it

Liberty University - Wikipedia

Federal funding
In 2010, students received about $445 million in federal financial aid money in 2010, the highest total of any school in Virginia and one of the highest in the country
That money goes to the students

Are liberals going deny an education to conservative students ?

Forum List

Back