Unexpectedly: The New York Times discovers that many don’t have to work in the age of Obama

And thanks for the Great Recession, which lost all those better jobs, dullard.

An utterly stupid question, is that supposed to be some Bush vs Obama libtard talking point or something?

22.7 million jobs created under Clinton

1.1 million under Bush

However, at the end of Bush's term, we were losing close to 800,000 jobs per month. You do the math...

I bet you're silly enough to think that the financial meltdown caused by Fanny and Freddie, which was authored, operated, and defended exclusively by Democrats, had nothing to do with it. No, it has to be Bush's fault. You Leftists can lie to yourselves, but you can't lie to us. Did you see the last election?
Considering F+F's share of the market went from 75% to 25% in 2003 when when corrupt Booosh cronies like Countrywide and AIG took over, it's clear you're a brainwashed functional moron. Read something.

Of course, you fail to note WHY they took over. It was the threats of those two economic masterminds, Frank and Dodd (sounds like an ice cream flavor!) that forced them into the sub-prime market. Mitigation of risk then caused them to bundle the mortgages ... you really DO need to remember ALL of history.
AS I said, idiot. Booosh regulators allowed toxic bs mortgages to be sold to anyone who was breathing,, rated A+, insured by AIG and others, bundled, and sold around the world. Nobody was forced into anything, Dems were filibustered and vetoed into futiliity. Bingo, another corrupt Pub world depression. You are full of total Pubcrappe, fool of the greedy idiot rich FUNCTIONAL MORON.

LOL you have it all backwards, go ask your pal Fwank.

more messages from Pub Bizarro world... Dems made it possible for poor and minorities, corrupt Pub regulators made ANYONE including the UNEMPLOYED lol eligible for SCAM mortgages. How's the weather on your planet, brainwashed dupes?

more messages from Pub Bizarro world... Dems made it possible for poor and minorities, corrupt Pub regulators made ANYONE including the UNEMPLOYED lol eligible for SCAM mortgages. How's the weather on your planet, brainwashed dupes?

Tortured logic at its finest ....

I admire and respect your "opinion". It's called the real world, ignorant dupe. Any actual argument? Give us the talking point or a stupid insult...

I admire and respect your "opinion". It's called the real world, ignorant dupe. Any actual argument? Give us the talking point or a stupid insult...

Ok ... allow me to show you the many flaws in your logic. Just remember, you asked for this ...

Dems made it possible for poor and minorities, -

If you look at history, which you apparently didn't, you will see that, you're right. Dems made it possible for the poor and minorities to get mortgages they couldn't ever afford. They did this legislative pressure applied, primarily by Barney Franks and Chris Dodd. The Dems, egged on by left-wing activists, began accusing mortgage lenders of racism and "redlining" because urban blacks were being denied mortgages at a higher rate than suburban whites.

The pressure to make more loans to minorities (read: to borrowers with weak credit histories) became relentless. Congress passed the Community Reinvestment Act, empowering regulators to punish banks that failed to "meet the credit needs" of "low-income, minority, and distressed neighborhoods." Lenders responded by loosening their underwriting standards and making increasingly shoddy loans. The two government-chartered mortgage finance firms, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, encouraged this "subprime" lending by authorizing ever more "flexible" criteria by which high-risk borrowers could be qualified for home loans, and then buying up the questionable mortgages that ensued.

All this was justified as a means of increasing home ownership among minorities and the poor. Affirmative-action policies trumped sound business practices. A manual issued by the Federal Reserve Bank advised mortgage lenders to disregard financial common sense. "Lack of credit history should not be seen as a negative factor," the Fed's guidelines instructed. Lenders were directed to accept welfare payments and unemployment benefits as "valid income sources" to qualify for a mortgage. Failure to comply could mean a lawsuit.

corrupt Pub regulators made ANYONE including the UNEMPLOYED lol eligible for SCAM mortgages.

For this inanity, I'll just quote US News & World Report -

"Seventeen. That's how many times, according to this White House statement (hat tip Gateway Pundit), that the Bush administration has called for tighter regulation of the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Congress has cooperated only once. In spring 2007, as House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank likes to point out, the House did pass a bill in response. The Senate did not act until 2008; Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd spent most of 2007 camped out in Iowa running for president. The legislation passed by Congress in 2008 enabled Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to put Fannie and Freddie into federal conservatorship this summer when they failed. But it didn't prevent them from spewing a huge amount of toxic waste, in the form of subprime and Alt-A mortgages, into our financial institutions from 2004 to 2007. As Stephen Spruiell points out in The Corner on National Review Online, Fannie and Freddie spewed out $1 trillion worth (face value) of subprime mortgages between 2005 and 2007. That's a whole lot of toxic waste. For more detail, consult the items referred to in my previous blogpost on this subject (most of the comments seem to have been disputes about the plot line of the movie It's a Wonderful Life, which I should think could be settled by consulting a reference work).

Much if not all of that could have been prevented by a bill cosponsored by John McCain and supported by all the Republicans and opposed by all the Democrats in the Senate Banking Committee in 2005. That bill, which the Democrats stopped from passing, would have prohibited the GSEs from speculating on the mortgage-based securities they packaged. The GSEs' mission allegedly justifying their quasi-governmental status was to package or securitize such mortgages, but the lion's share of their profits—which determined top executives' bonuses—came from speculation."

Democrats Were Wrong on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - US News

And, as for your last comment:

How's the weather on your planet, brainwashed dupes?

Yeah ---- how IS the weather on your planet? (Hint: This is where you start attacking me, calling me a racist and Republican shill because THESE are facts - indisputable facts - and you really have no other choice).

Every single person who has posted so far is looking for easy excuses and easy answers. The American economy is broken. Plain and simple. It's not a Bush thing. It's not an Obama thing. It's far more systemic. It's as deep as the very food you eat, every single day.

Every single person who has posted so far is looking for easy excuses and easy answers. The American economy is broken. Plain and simple. It's not a Bush thing. It's not an Obama thing. It's far more systemic. It's as deep as the very food you eat, every single day.
It's a Reaganist/ GOP pander to the rich, don't invest in America, screw the workers thing. See sig.

Disabled and old people that have earned their ssi shouldn't have too anyways. Healthy people should of course.

Investing in healthy peoples education isn't a bad idea! Probably should reform this program so only degree's that benefit them can be paid by the government. Woman studies = no, but math or science = yes.

It's a Reaganist/ GOP pander to the rich, don't invest in America, screw the workers thing. See sig.

We need to invest in our economy in ways that increase health and the size of the middle class. One good example is to look to China, South Korea and Germany.

Ok ... allow me to show you the many flaws in your logic. Just remember, you asked for this ...

If you look at history, which you apparently didn't, you will see that, you're right. Dems made it possible for the poor and minorities to get mortgages they couldn't ever afford. They did this legislative pressure applied, primarily by Barney Franks and Chris Dodd. The Dems, egged on by left-wing activists, began accusing mortgage lenders of racism and "redlining" because urban blacks were being denied mortgages at a higher rate than suburban whites.

The pressure to make more loans to minorities (read: to borrowers with weak credit histories) became relentless. Congress passed the Community Reinvestment Act, empowering regulators to punish banks that failed to "meet the credit needs" of "low-income, minority, and distressed neighborhoods." Lenders responded by loosening their underwriting standards and making increasingly shoddy loans. The two government-chartered mortgage finance firms, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, encouraged this "subprime" lending by authorizing ever more "flexible" criteria by which high-risk borrowers could be qualified for home loans, and then buying up the questionable mortgages that ensued.

All this was justified as a means of increasing home ownership among minorities and the poor. Affirmative-action policies trumped sound business practices. A manual issued by the Federal Reserve Bank advised mortgage lenders to disregard financial common sense. "Lack of credit history should not be seen as a negative factor," the Fed's guidelines instructed. Lenders were directed to accept welfare payments and unemployment benefits as "valid income sources" to qualify for a mortgage. Failure to comply could mean a lawsuit.

corrupt Pub regulators made ANYONE including the UNEMPLOYED lol eligible for SCAM mortgages.

"Seventeen. That's how many times, according to this White House statement (hat tip Gateway Pundit), that the Bush administration has called for tighter regulation of the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Congress has cooperated only once. In spring 2007, as House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank likes to point out, the House did pass a bill in response. The Senate did not act until 2008; Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd spent most of 2007 camped out in Iowa running for president. The legislation passed by Congress in 2008 enabled Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to put Fannie and Freddie into federal conservatorship this summer when they failed. But it didn't prevent them from spewing a huge amount of toxic waste, in the form of subprime and Alt-A mortgages, into our financial institutions from 2004 to 2007. As Stephen Spruiell points out in The Corner on National Review Online, Fannie and Freddie spewed out $1 trillion worth (face value) of subprime mortgages between 2005 and 2007. That's a whole lot of toxic waste. For more detail, consult the items referred to in my previous blogpost on this subject (most of the comments seem to have been disputes about the plot line of the movie It's a Wonderful Life, which I should think could be settled by consulting a reference work).

Much if not all of that could have been prevented by a bill cosponsored by John McCain and supported by all the Republicans and opposed by all the Democrats in the Senate Banking Committee in 2005. That bill, which the Democrats stopped from passing, would have prohibited the GSEs from speculating on the mortgage-based securities they packaged. The GSEs' mission allegedly justifying their quasi-governmental status was to package or securitize such mortgages, but the lion's share of their profits—which determined top executives' bonuses—came from speculation."

Yeah ---- how IS the weather on your planet? (Hint: This is where you start attacking me, calling me a racist and Republican shill because THESE are facts - indisputable facts - and you really have no other choice).
F+F's share of the market went from 75% to 25% in 2003, and they didn't get in on the action until late, under Pub pressure. Pubs always screw with them and try to end them, never went after their pals in private lending who changed the rules. US News is a bought off, cowardly corporate POS like the networks who've never reported who was at fault, dupe. Only 50%+ of dupes are racists. Maybe you're alright. It's not ALWAYS racism...

F+F's share of the market went from 75% to 25% in 2003, and they didn't get in on the action until late, under Pub pressure. Pubs always screw with them and try to end them, never went after their pals in private lending who changed the rules. US News is a bought off, cowardly corporate POS like the networks who've never reported who was at fault, dupe. Only 50%+ of dupes are racists. Maybe you're alright. It's not ALWAYS racism...

Can we keep racism out of this subject? I am sure 80% of blacks are just as racist.

Read it again - the Congress didn't change the rules until 2008. The lenders only started sub-prime mortgages under direct pressure from Democrats. They were afraid of being called racists. By what possible logic can you imagine that lenders would, one day, say to themselves - "you know, we ought to loan a truckload of money to people who can't pay it back!!! THAT is a winning business move!"

It's obviously time for a history lesson --- I know it's long, but it's accurate, and it's imperative that you understand ALL the history.

Fannie Mae - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

In 1992, President George H.W. Bush signed the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992.[15] The Act amended the charter of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to reflect the Democratic Congress' view that the GSEs [Government Sponsored Enterprises "... have an affirmative obligation to facilitate the financing of affordable housing for low- and moderate-income families in a manner consistent with their overall public purposes, while maintaining a strong financial condition and a reasonable economic return;"[16] For the first time, the GSEs were required to meet "affordable housing goals" set annually by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and approved by Congress. The initial annual goal for low-income and moderate-income mortgage purchases for each GSE was 30% of the total number of dwelling units financed by mortgage purchases[17] and increased to 55% by 2007.

In 1999, Fannie Mae came under pressure from the Clinton administration to expand mortgage loans to low and moderate income borrowers by increasing the ratios of their loan portfolios in distressed inner city areas designated in the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) of 1977.[18] Additionally, institutions in the primary mortgage market pressed Fannie Mae to ease credit requirements on the mortgages it was willing to purchase, enabling them to make loans to subprime borrowers at interest rates higher than conventional loans.[18]

In 1999, The New York Times reported that with the corporation's move towards the subprime market "Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980s."[19]

2000s

Franklin Raines earned $90 million in salary and bonuses while he was head of Fannie Mae.[20]

In 2000, because of a re-assessment of the housing market by HUD, anti-predatory lending rules were put into place that disallowed risky, high-cost loans from being credited toward affordable housing goals. In 2004, these rules were dropped and high-risk loans were again counted toward affordable housing goals.[21]

The intent was that Fannie Mae's enforcement of the underwriting standards they maintained for standard conforming mortgages would also provide safe and stable means of lending to buyers who did not have prime credit. As Daniel Mudd, then President and CEO of Fannie Mae, testified in 2007, instead the agency's underwriting requirements drove business into the arms of the private mortgage industry who marketed aggressive products without regard to future consequences: "We also set conservative underwriting standards for loans we finance to ensure the homebuyers can afford their loans over the long term. We sought to bring the standards we apply to the prime space to the subprime market with our industry partners primarily to expand our services to underserved families.

"Unfortunately, Fannie Mae-quality, safe loans in the subprime market did not become the standard, and the lending market moved away from us. Borrowers were offered a range of loans that layered teaser rates, interest-only, negative amortization and payment options and low-documentation requirements on top of floating-rate loans. In early 2005 we began sounding our concerns about this "layered-risk" lending. For example, Tom Lund, the head of our single-family mortgage business, publicly stated, "One of the things we don't feel good about right now as we look into this marketplace is more homebuyers being put into programs that have more risk. Those products are for more sophisticated buyers. Does it make sense for borrowers to take on risk they may not be aware of? Are we setting them up for failure? As a result, we gave up significant market share to our competitors."[22]

Alex Berenson of The New York Times reported in 2003 that Fannie Mae's risk is much larger than is commonly held.[23] Nassim Taleb wrote in The Black Swan: "The government-sponsored institution Fannie Mae, when I look at its risks, seems to be sitting on a barrel of dynamite, vulnerable to the slightest hiccup. But not to worry: their large staff of scientists deem these events 'unlikely'".[24]

On January 26, 2005, the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 (S.190) was first introduced in the Senate by Sen. Chuck Hagel.[25] The Senate legislation was an effort to reform the existing GSE regulatory structure in light of the recent accounting problems and questionable management actions leading to considerable income restatements by the GSE's. After being reported favorably by the Senate's Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs in July 2005, the bill was never considered by the full Senate for a vote.[26] Sen. John McCain's decision to become a cosponsor of S.190 almost a year later in 2006 was the last action taken regarding Sen. Hagel's bill in spite of developments since clearing the Senate Committee. Sen. McCain pointed out that Fannie Mae's regulator reported that profits were "illusions deliberately and systematically created by the company's senior management" in his floor statement giving support to S.190.[27][28]

At the same time, the House also introduced similar legislation, the Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005 (H.R. 1461), in the Spring of 2005. The House Financial Services Committee had crafted changes and produced a Committee Report by July 2005 to the legislation. It was passed by the House in October in spite of President Bush's statement of policy opposed to the House version, which stated: "The regulatory regime envisioned by H.R. 1461 is considerably weaker than that which governs other large, complex financial institutions."[29] The legislation met with opposition from both Democrats and Republicans at that point and the Senate never took up the House passed version for consideration after that.[30]

The mortgage crisis from late 2007
Following their mission to meet federal Housing and Urban Development (HUD) housing goals, GSEs such as Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Federal Home Loan Banks (FHLBanks) had striven to improve home ownership of low and middle income families, underserved areas, and generally through special affordable methods such as "the ability to obtain a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage with a low down payment... and the continuous availability of mortgage credit under a wide range of economic conditions." [31] Then in 2003–2004, the subprime mortgage crisis began.[32] The market shifted away from regulated GSE's and radically toward Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS) issued by unregulated private-label securitization conduits, typically operated by investment banks.

As mortgage originators began to distribute more and more of their loans through private label MBS's, GSE's lost the ability to monitor and control mortgage originators. Competition between the GSEs and private securitizers for loans further undermined GSEs power and strengthened mortgage originators. This contributed to a decline in underwriting standards and was a major cause of the financial crisis.[33]

Investment bank securitizers were more willing to securitize risky loans because they generally retained minimal risk. Whereas the GSE's guaranteed the performance of their MBS's, private securitizers generally did not, and might only retain a thin slice of risk.[33] Often, banks would offload this risk to insurance companies or other counterparties through credit default swaps, making their actual risk exposures extremely difficult for investors and creditors to discern.[34]

The shift toward riskier mortgages and private label MBS distribution occurred as financial institutions sought to maintain earnings levels that had been elevated during 2001–2003 by an unprecedented refinancing boom due to historically low interest rates. Earnings depended on volume, so maintaining elevated earnings levels necessitated expanding the borrower pool using lower underwriting standards and new products that the GSE's would not (initially) securitize. Thus, the shift away from GSE securitization to private-label securitization (PLS) also corresponded with a shift in mortgage product type, from traditional, amortizing, fixed-rate mortgages (FRM's) to nontraditional, structurally riskier, nonamortizing, adjustable-rate mortgages (ARM's), and in the start of a sharp deterioration in mortgage underwriting standards.[32] The growth of PLS, however, forced the GSEs to lower their underwriting standards in an attempt to reclaim lost market share to please their private shareholders. Shareholder pressure pushed the GSEs into competition with PLS for market share, and the GSEs loosened their guarantee business underwriting standards in order to compete. In contrast, the wholly public FHA/Ginnie Mae maintained their underwriting standards and instead ceded market share.[32]

The growth of private-label securitization and lack of regulation in this part of the market resulted in the oversupply of underpriced housing finance[32] that led, in 2006, to an increasing number of borrowers, often with poor credit, who were unable to pay their mortgages – particularly with adjustable rate mortgages (ARM), caused a precipitous increase in home foreclosures. As a result, home prices declined as increasing foreclosures added to the already large inventory of homes and stricter lending standards made it more and more difficult for borrowers to get mortgages. This depreciation in home prices led to growing losses for the GSEs, which back the majority of US mortgages. In July 2008, the government attempted to ease market fears by reiterating their view that "Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac play a central role in the US housing finance system". The US Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve took steps to bolster confidence in the corporations, including granting both corporations access to Federal Reserve low-interest loans (at similar rates as commercial banks) and removing the prohibition on the Treasury Department to purchase the GSEs' stock. Despite these efforts, by August 2008, shares of both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had tumbled more than 90% from their one-year prior levels.

--------------------------------

If you read all that, and I know it's tough - you can see that the primary contributor to the crash was the federal government, through the Democratic Congress and the GSE's. Everything that happens (underwriting risky loans - bundling - etc.) is done as a reaction to those actions in order to try to mitigate the increased risk and the inevitable defaults.

If you don't want to have an intelligent discussion, but instead want to have a pissing contest, then I will be happy to oblige. Of course, nothing will come of it ... but then, that will leave you comfortable in your ignorance.

If, on the other hand, you wish to have an adult conversation, I can do that, too.

Your call.

Can we keep racism out of this subject? I am sure 80% of blacks are just as racist.

Actually, they can't --- their arguments are like mud puddles. Dirty, and not very deep --- as soon as it is exposed, they are forced to go to personal attacks and deflection.

You'll see I didn't bring it up. BTW, racism is defined as belief that another race is INFERIOR and discriminating against them.

For some reason, Staph-knee needs to be told what to think and how to feel from her so called news sources.

Your "HotAir" (an appropriate name) source has been disqualified as news, starting from the first sentence.

"You already knew that Mitt Romney was right about just about everything."

Unexpectedly The New York Times discovers that many don t have to work in the age of Obama Hot Air

Why is HotAir telling you what you know?

A real news article leaves out bias and opinion. An actual NEWS story is one that contains no characterizations of people or incidents. News is what happened. Bias is the spin put on it by sites like "HotAir" who want to tell you what to think about what happened, tell you what emotion you should experience according to their perception, not your own.

Why can't Staph-knee think for herself?
Ha ha ..You cringe because the message exposes your side's ideology and policies.
In the absence of a factual rebuttal, in typical liberal fashion you attack the messenger.
That ms no-danger is a CLASSIC FAIL.

Forum List

Back