USMB Coffee Shop IV

There are some corny movies I like and some I love. Probably one of the best B movies out was Starship Troopers. :thup:

Well I guess I'm going to have to watch it. It comes up on our cable system fairly frequently but I've always bypassed it on the theory it would be more slapstick than my tastes can appreciate.

But I love Pirates of the Caribbean because of the brilliant casting and because the spoof plot is so brilliantly conceived and magnificently executed. So if Starship Troopers is comparable then I would like it.

I don't think you would like Starship Troopers, Foxy. It is disgusting. Really disgusting. It certainly has it's share of "dark humor," but it's really just kind of gross. Pretty fun movie if you like that kind of thing though.

I'm not much into gross. I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark despite the gratuitous grossness but did not like the sequels where it became really excessive. Thanks for the heads up though. I will know within the first 5-10 minutes of a movie whether I am going to like it.

My gosh, if you think Raiders of the Lost Ark was gross, you haven't seen Starship Troopers! It's pretty much about giant alien insects that eat people.

Yep. Raiders is about as gross as I can tolerate in a movie. :)

Lol! That removes a LOT of movies from you list of those to watch! I can watch some gross movies, but some are just too much gore and disgusting for me to get any enjoyment out of the movie. Starship Troopers shows people getting eaten and torn apart by bugs, also one guy gets his brain sucked out by a giant leech-like critter. I know I'm really not enjoying a movie much when I find I'm like this :lalala: through most parts. Lol!

Okay everybody, when you have five minutes or so to burn today, here is your assignment:
Which U.S. State Should You Live In - Quiz - Quizony.com

It put me in Texas which is okay since I was born there, and have lived a good chunk of my life there or near there. I would guess it most defines my personal culture.
Welp now I know these "quizzes" are BS..... not that I didn't know before.... It gave me Texas...... Hell I'm temporarily stuck here now and want out...... :lol:

Okay everybody, when you have five minutes or so to burn today, here is your assignment:

It put me in Texas which is okay since I was born there, and have lived a good chunk of my life there or near there. I would guess it most defines my personal culture.

Cause you asked nicely:

Your U.S. State is:
Texas
Funny, since it's full of hot, red-blooded Americans, but Texas bills itself as 'a whole 'nother country.' If you like big, friendly, and relaxed, it's likely that this big-hearted state is just the right 'noter country for you.

Not that surprising, Texas always thinks it is the best and biggest.

Thanks for the complimentary beverage, FoxFyre. Cool place.

Well you haven't had your complimentary beverage yet have you Spinster? But we're so happy you found us. I see that you have already visited the OP, so will just offer you a warm Coffee Shop welcome. It takes a little while to find your sea legs here and really feel a part of this special community, but those who make the effort usually think it is worth it. And once you do, you find yourself adopted as part of the family here.

So again welcome, make yourself at home, and here is your very own complimentary beverage. :)

13834.jpg

(Ernie or somebody like that will have to tell you what it is. I found it in our nightcap inventory but have no clue what's in it. :))
That's called a Starry Night. It's 1 part absinthe and 3 parts chocolate vodka.

So essentially a chocolate martini but with absinthe instead of vermouth?
Yes, but with the caveat that absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

There are some corny movies I like and some I love. Probably one of the best B movies out was Starship Troopers. :thup:

Well I guess I'm going to have to watch it. It comes up on our cable system fairly frequently but I've always bypassed it on the theory it would be more slapstick than my tastes can appreciate.

But I love Pirates of the Caribbean because of the brilliant casting and because the spoof plot is so brilliantly conceived and magnificently executed. So if Starship Troopers is comparable then I would like it.

I don't think you would like Starship Troopers, Foxy. It is disgusting. Really disgusting. It certainly has it's share of "dark humor," but it's really just kind of gross. Pretty fun movie if you like that kind of thing though.

I'm not much into gross. I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark despite the gratuitous grossness but did not like the sequels where it became really excessive. Thanks for the heads up though. I will know within the first 5-10 minutes of a movie whether I am going to like it.

My gosh, if you think Raiders of the Lost Ark was gross, you haven't seen Starship Troopers! It's pretty much about giant alien insects that eat people.

Have you seen any Quentin Tarrantino movies? Kill Bill Or Django (unchained)?

Gross violence in those, but it's so over done that you are quickly desensitized to it to the point where it becomes actually funny.
It builds slow to the point where head shots in Django or dozens of beheadings in Kill Bill with gallons of blood, don't elicit the response you expect to have. I find Tarrantino quite brilliant.

Welp now I know these "quizzes" are BS..... not that I didn't know before.... It gave me Texas...... Hell I'm temporarily stuck here now and want out...... :lol:
El Paso is as close to being not Texas as you can get.

Like Pensacola SHOULD be in Alabama, El Paso SHOULD be in New Mexico.

El Paso is as close to being not Texas as you can get.

Like Pensacola SHOULD be in Alabama, El Paso SHOULD be in New Mexico.
True but I would prefer New Mexico, well northern New Mexico........ :lol:
If we had the money we'd live in Sante Fe, a little less money then either northern Rio Rancho or back up in Colorado Springs CO.
Why Sante Fe? We just love the country up there and it's architecture is gorgeous. I love the Taos area but there's really nothing there, not for a couple of confirmed big city suburbanites. :lol:

I thin

Gross violence in those, but it's so over done that you are quickly desensitized to it to the point where it becomes actually funny.
It builds slow to the point where head shots in Django or dozens of beheadings in Kill Bill with gallons of blood, don't elicit the response you expect to have. I find Tarrantino quite brilliant.

No, because I don't easily desensitize. I don't think I want to either. I think that must be more of a guy thing. :)

I thin

No, because I don't easily desensitize. I don't think I want to either. I think that must be more of a guy thing. :)

Guys think zombies eating people are funny too! :dunno: Not funny to me.

So just about all of us are Texans at heart? Must be why we all get along so well, but it does seem to be coming up disproportionately Texas. I know it is possible to score a California too because a couple of my friends did, but they are really way out there and non traditional politically, philosophically, culturally, etc. I would imagine most Santa Feans, for instance, would probably not score Texas.

I thin

Guys think zombies eating people are funny too! :dunno: Not funny to me.

Like I said, it has to be a guy thing. :)

So just about all of us are Texans at heart? Must be why we all get along so well, but it does seem to be coming up disproportionately Texas. I know it is possible to score a California too because a couple of my friends did, but they are really way out there and non traditional politically, philosophically, culturally, etc. I would imagine most Santa Feans, for instance, would probably not score Texas.

Lol. I think so far we have all gotten Texas. Was this test made in Texas? :p I don't consider these kinds of things too accurate to be honest.

Lol. I think so far we have all gotten Texas. Was this test made in Texas? :p I don't consider these kinds of things too accurate to be honest.

Well I don't know how 'honest' they are, but rocket science? No they aren't. :)

For fear of bringing politic into the CS, I'll leave it at: Several CS members would be more likely to get California or even Massachusetts than those who have taken the test so far.

For fear of bringing politic into the CS, I'll leave it at: Several CS members would be more likely to get California or even Massachusetts than those who have taken the test so far.

Meh, I don't think these little tests really tell you anything, to be honest. They are mostly for fun and entertainment.

Oh probably, though a lot of my Facebook friends who I would expect to get California are also getting Texas. After taking a number of those tests, I think there are probably only one or two questions that actually determine the outcome. And that one about recycling is probably one of them. I mean look at Ringel. He wants to live in Santa Fe which is one of the most weird and quirkiest places on the planet and he got Texas anyway. :)

Oh probably, though a lot of my Facebook friends who I would expect to get California are also getting Texas. After taking a number of those tests, I think there are probably only one or two questions that actually determine the outcome. And that one about recycling is probably one of them. I mean look at Ringel. He wants to live in Santa Fe which is one of the most weird and quirkiest places on the planet and he got Texas anyway. :)

I chose that I do recycle and still got Texas!

I chose that I do recycle and still got Texas!

Well the question was several choices of what annoys you most about people and failure to recycle was one of them. I would imagine most Santa Feans would have checked that. (Hombre and I are dedicated recyclers too.)

Forum List

Back