USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh I forgot to mention if you do check out Pogo games, they all run on Java so you'll have to go there on something other than Chrome that doesn't support Java.

Ya can't buy a windows 7 licence key any more? Bummer. I suppose they want everyone to get windows 10.

Well I woke up at 3AM again and gave up trying to get back to sleep at 3.30 AM. So its another night shift trying to find interesting things to do on the web. Anyone got any interesting sites they can recommend ?

Edit, found something to watch

Go here. You will be reading for hours if not days.
Morgana s Observatory -- Ancient Prophecies Native American Prophecies Universal Myths Hidden History

Good morning everybody. A couple of very hot days in store for us here I think before we have a cold snap on Tuesday or Wednesday--highs then could be in the 70's for one day. But for now it is summer on the high desert in New Mexico and we expect hot weather in the summer.

Will leave in a few for the early church service and then I have to do some frantic research that I've been putting off before the draft for my fantasy football team this afternoon. Oh the pressure. . . .

Wishing a pleasant Sunday for all.

1625742_10152918653443663_4305012880158721656_n.jpg

I am drinking coffee so I must be awake.
I do recall going out to the garage to move some laundry from washer to the drier. While there, I saw a padded envelope sitting on a shelf. I looked inside and fount the spare ceramic knob for my kitchen sink faucet that has been MIA for a few months.
I have spent HOURS looking with no luck, but find it by mistake?

I do recall going out to the garage to move some laundry from washer to the drier. While there, I saw a padded envelope sitting on a shelf. I looked inside and fount the spare ceramic knob for my kitchen sink faucet that has been MIA for a few months.
Couldn't tell ya the number of times I've done that. :lol:

Couldn't tell ya the number of times I've done that. :lol:

Me too. Something I've looked for and looked for and sometimes have replaced on the theory whatever it was was lost forever. And then miraculously I see it--in plain sight. When our last bunch of house guests were here, I was appreciating help from a number of sous chefs helping with dinner and handed one of the guys the hand mixer to finish whipping cream for the pie for dessert. And I told him when done just dump the beaters in the sink. The next morning those folks (from Boulder) were up and out before anybody else got up as they had to make an afternoon appointment, and everybody else (from California) were gone by mid morning. And we started looking for the hand mixer to reunite it with its beaters. We looked everywhere in the kitchen/dining area and adjacent office, in all the cupboards, drawers, etc.--no mixer. I finally e-mailed him to ask him what he did with it. He responded right away--to the right of the microwave. And sure enough there it was, in plain sight, but not easily visible from the main kitchen.

Ugh, my main PC is having some sort of hardware issue. I freeze at startup no matter which OS or drive I'm using. I've tried booting my main HD with Vista, my backup HD with XP, booting from my Vista disk, even MacPup freezes at startup.

Obviously I need to replace a piece of hardware but I'm not sure how to determine which. I don't have another PC I can swap parts with to check, just laptops. :(

At this point I think I'm going to start by buying a new power supply. I'm trying to decide if I should also get a new video card while I'm at it, or even just put together a whole new PC.

The laptop I'm on now isn't great, it runs fairly slow, but it works. It's annoying not being able to access the files on my PC HDs, although I could always put them in our external HD enclosure if I really want to get at them. I just hate having PC problems and not being sure how to diagnose what it is. :mad:

Green chile season is in full bore here in Albuquerque and almost everywhere we go we delight in the unmistakable smell of chiles roasting in front of almost every place that sells it. And the newspaper is featuring its usual instructions on how to avoid chile burns and how to treat them when people inevitably get them anyway. The folks who roast our chiles for us don't peel them for us.

3415680159_f3b310975a_z.jpg

But I can testify that the following is definitely true:

11145163_10152999359276994_7669400824863998563_n.jpg

Ugh, my main PC is having some sort of hardware issue. I freeze at startup no matter which OS or drive I'm using. I've tried booting my main HD with Vista, my backup HD with XP, booting from my Vista disk, even MacPup freezes at startup.

Obviously I need to replace a piece of hardware but I'm not sure how to determine which. I don't have another PC I can swap parts with to check, just laptops. :(

At this point I think I'm going to start by buying a new power supply. I'm trying to decide if I should also get a new video card while I'm at it, or even just put together a whole new PC.

The laptop I'm on now isn't great, it runs fairly slow, but it works. It's annoying not being able to access the files on my PC HDs, although I could always put them in our external HD enclosure if I really want to get at them. I just hate having PC problems and not being sure how to diagnose what it is. :mad:
If it's affecting RAM (MacPup won't load) then most likely it's the motherboard, well actually the BIOs is probably corrupted or you just have bad RAM sticks. You can try replacing the RAM sticks but if it's not the issue you're out the money, may be the cheapest way to go though.
If it's the BIOS (and I'm thinking it is) you need someone who knows what they're doing to (hopefully) fix it. You could follow these instructions and try it yourself:

How to Recover from a bad BIOS update - Technibble

One other thing if you can't fix the laptop the data on the hard drive is still recoverable.
I thought of one other thing to try first, load your Windows recovery disc (if you have one) or your Window installation disc (again if you have one) and see if it will boot from that. Do not select "new install" unless you don't mind losing everything that's on that hard drive.

One other thing if you can't fix the laptop the data on the hard drive is still recoverable.
I thought of one other thing to try first, load your Windows recovery disc (if you have one) or your Window installation disc (again if you have one) and see if it will boot from that. Do not select "new install" unless you don't mind losing everything that's on that hard drive.

Well, I'm on the PC right now. I had already run memtest and come up with no errors, but I decided to try taking out one stick at a time anyway. The PC continued to freeze with the individual sticks in. However, after I blew dust from the RAM ports and cleaned off the 2 sticks and replaced them, it booted up fine. I don't know if there was dust in the RAM slots causing a problem which memtest didn't notice, or if the RAM needed to be reseated for some reason, or if my problem persists and I just got lucky on the last boot. For now I plan to keep the PC turned on and am thinking about putting together a new one, perhaps on my birthday when I'm likely to get some money. I figure it will cost me $4-500 to put together a decent machine, depending on if I get a new Windows or stick with Vista (assuming it will accept all the new parts) or try a Linux version.

Just FYI, I tried to load my Windows disc and was still freezing at the Microsoft logo. I had hoped to do a system repair but couldn't even get to any options through the Windows disc. That's why I felt pretty sure it was hardware oriented : I froze loading Vista from one hard drive, XP from another hard drive, Vista from disc, and MacPup from a USB drive. It could also be BIOS oriented I guess, but I don't know enough about BIOS to say, nor do I know what would have altered my BIOS settings to cause a problem in the first place. I did try to reset my BIOS as one troubleshooting option but it did not seem to help.

We'll see if reseating/cleaning the RAM was a solution or just a coincidence and I'll end up with more issues. :dunno:

Well, I'm on the PC right now. I had already run memtest and come up with no errors, but I decided to try taking out one stick at a time anyway. The PC continued to freeze with the individual sticks in. However, after I blew dust from the RAM ports and cleaned off the 2 sticks and replaced them, it booted up fine. I don't know if there was dust in the RAM slots causing a problem which memtest didn't notice, or if the RAM needed to be reseated for some reason, or if my problem persists and I just got lucky on the last boot. For now I plan to keep the PC turned on and am thinking about putting together a new one, perhaps on my birthday when I'm likely to get some money. I figure it will cost me $4-500 to put together a decent machine, depending on if I get a new Windows or stick with Vista (assuming it will accept all the new parts) or try a Linux version.

Just FYI, I tried to load my Windows disc and was still freezing at the Microsoft logo. I had hoped to do a system repair but couldn't even get to any options through the Windows disc. That's why I felt pretty sure it was hardware oriented : I froze loading Vista from one hard drive, XP from another hard drive, Vista from disc, and MacPup from a USB drive. It could also be BIOS oriented I guess, but I don't know enough about BIOS to say, nor do I know what would have altered my BIOS settings to cause a problem in the first place. I did try to reset my BIOS as one troubleshooting option but it did not seem to help.

We'll see if reseating/cleaning the RAM was a solution or just a coincidence and I'll end up with more issues. :dunno:
Well if it booted up after you cleaned it it's not the BIOs so that's good. But that leads me to believe you may have an intermittent motherboard issue which means the motherboard (mobo for short) may be starting to fail.
You could also build a Hackentosh if you want but it's generally going to be more expensive (and slightly more complex - loading OS X) than a typical PC. The benefit is you'll have OS X on it and access to a whole lot more Windows type applications than Linux provides.

Building a CustoMac Buyer s Guide January 2015 - tonymacx86.com

When my Win 7 machines give out or they stop supporting Win 7, whichever comes first, I plan on doing that myself.
When it's time I'll replace my laptops with OS X compatible ones and Hackentosh them, generally all I'll have to do is replace the WiFi cards to make them work properly.

Forum List

Back