USMB Coffee Shop IV

I haven't decided if I even want to "upgrade" yet. I'm just starting to get used to stupid Windows 8. Is Windows 10 any better? I hate the way Windows 8 is set up.

I haven't used either for more than a few minutes. Win10 seems like it's halfway between 8 and the older versions. You get a start menu button....but it opens into a bunch of Win8 like tiles. You go right to the desktop when it boots up instead of the tablet-looking screen of Win8. However, all that I've read about Win10 makes it sound like Microsoft is a lot more intrusive, looking at what you have on your PC.

I'm hoping that by the time Win7 support runs out, either I will be comfortable going all in with Linux or Windows will have come out with a better version than 10. :lol:

I don't like Windows 8. I liked 7 better. I hate how it opens to an "app store." I don't use any of those apps.
For Win 8 and 10 you can set it up to auto login so you don't have to swipe the screen up then set it up to automatically bypass the tiles screen and go directly to your desktop, it's not hard.
As for the Start Button there are apps for that also.
Pretty much you can rather quickly configure your computer to look a lot like Win 7 while running Win 10 (somewhat for Win 8).

I don't know how to do any of that. I don't know what's going on with the stupid thing. I know I hate it though. :D
Just follow the instructions to the letter;

How to Set Up Automatic Login on Windows 10 or Windows 8

Boot to the desktop:
How to boot to desktop mode in Windows 8.1

Classic Shell will give you a Start Menu that is similar to Win 7 but not exactly the same and it's free.
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
or
Startisback is much closer to the Win 7 Start Menu but it will set you back $3 for one computer and up to $10 for 5 computers after a 30 day free trail.
StartIsBack: real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 10

I will try to do this later when I feel like being annoyed at something. :D Thanks for the info, Ringel!

I haven't used either for more than a few minutes. Win10 seems like it's halfway between 8 and the older versions. You get a start menu button....but it opens into a bunch of Win8 like tiles. You go right to the desktop when it boots up instead of the tablet-looking screen of Win8. However, all that I've read about Win10 makes it sound like Microsoft is a lot more intrusive, looking at what you have on your PC.

I'm hoping that by the time Win7 support runs out, either I will be comfortable going all in with Linux or Windows will have come out with a better version than 10. :lol:

I don't like Windows 8. I liked 7 better. I hate how it opens to an "app store." I don't use any of those apps.
For Win 8 and 10 you can set it up to auto login so you don't have to swipe the screen up then set it up to automatically bypass the tiles screen and go directly to your desktop, it's not hard.
Pretty much you can rather quickly configure your computer to look a lot like Win 7 while running Win 10 (somewhat for Win 8).

I don't know how to do any of that. I don't know what's going on with the stupid thing. I know I hate it though. :D

Boot to the desktop:

Classic Shell will give you a Start Menu that is similar to Win 7 but not exactly the same and it's free.
or
Startisback is much closer to the Win 7 Start Menu but it will set you back $3 for one computer and up to $10 for 5 computers after a 30 day free trail.

I will try to do this later when I feel like being annoyed at something. :D Thanks for the info, Ringel!
They're actually very easy procedures, you're not creating and/or modifying commands on your own, you just opening windows to select or unselect boxes for the first two. As for the Start Menu all you're doing is downloading and installing.
BTW Startisback will give you the option of using a Win 7, Vista or XP look.

Boot to the desktop:

or

They're actually very easy procedures, you're not creating and/or modifying commands on your own, you just opening windows to select or unselect boxes for the first two. As for the Start Menu all you're doing is downloading and installing.

If it stops that stupid screen from always popping up on me. That is so aggravating! Grrrrr. :lol:

Eventually you will get the Win 10 upgrade via Windows Updates and it will automatically download to your computer unless you know how to block it. As for doing the actual upgrade itself you can choose to allow it or not. The thing with Win 10 is you will automatically go to your desktop but the Win 10 Start Menu is a combination of tiles and some of the Win 7 Start functionality. Load Classic Shell or Startisback to get the full Win 7 Start Menu functionality without the tiles.
The biggest deal with Win 10 is Microsoft's "spyware" which can be easily disabled and the updates which are now fully automated to download and install, no more picking and choosing which updates you want. Other than that Win 10 looks more like Win 7, the only problems I've had is the occasional freeze up and serious wakeup delays if I've left Firefox on when it went to sleep.

Boot to the desktop:

or

I assume that with a Win 7 "look" I will still have touch screen?

I'm d'loading the upgrade right now. I do need to leave the house for a couple hours. I hope to get it running this evening

Going to a gun show.
I may just purchase reloading equipment today.

Boot to the desktop:

or

I'm d'loading the upgrade right now. I do need to leave the house for a couple hours. I hope to get it running this evening

Going to a gun show.
Yes, your touch screen will be unchanged. With the update it's just that, an update, not a fresh install so everything that's on your computer will stay, the only thing you'll lose is Microsoft Media Center, you will not be able to play movie DVDs with MMC though it will still show on your computer. You can replace it with VLC or Kodi players.
Also it will boot up about the same amount of time as Win 7, actually slower at first as it's reconfiguring startup processes. To fix that back up all your files, go into Settings and do a fresh reset, that will put Win 10 on your computer almost like doing a fresh install, you'll lose all your files (hence the backup so you can reload what you want). You'll also lose the ability to return to your old operating system unless you have a disc and do a fresh install with the old OS.
You can configure Updates to not automatically restart your computer until you want it to so it doesn't restart when you're in the middle of something.
Have fun at the gun show!! :thup:

The pigeons are working on getting us trained...... If we don't get the leftover popcorn out early enough they come over to the back slider and start pacing back and forth and looking in the house. Of course the cats are right there running back and forth wanting to get at the pigeons........ :lol:

Received in e-mail earlier. . .

SPOILER ALERT: Rated R.

A psychiatrist was conducting a group therapy session with four young mothers and their small children. "You all have obsessions!" he observed. To the first mother, he said, "You are obsessed with eating. You've even named your daughter Candy.

He turned to the second Mom, "Your obsession is with money. Again, it manifests itself in your child's name, Penny."

He turned to the third Mom, "Your obsession is alcohol. This too shows itself in your child's name, Brandy."

At this point, the fourth mother quietly got up, took her little boy by the hand, and whispered, "Come on, Dick, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Let's pick up Peter and Willy from school and go get dinner."​

Eventually you will get the Win 10 upgrade via Windows Updates and it will automatically download to your computer unless you know how to block it. As for doing the actual upgrade itself you can choose to allow it or not. The thing with Win 10 is you will automatically go to your desktop but the Win 10 Start Menu is a combination of tiles and some of the Win 7 Start functionality. Load Classic Shell or Startisback to get the full Win 7 Start Menu functionality without the tiles.
The biggest deal with Win 10 is Microsoft's "spyware" which can be easily disabled and the updates which are now fully automated to download and install, no more picking and choosing which updates you want. Other than that Win 10 looks more like Win 7, the only problems I've had is the occasional freeze up and serious wakeup delays if I've left Firefox on when it went to sleep.

I was reading some of the comments at the site you linked to in the Microsoft #($*&!@ thread. Some seemed to think that the program wouldn't actually block the Windows spyware, you need to have a router that will let you block...er....I forget, a specific IP?

I haven't looked into it enough to know about it. I only upgraded to Win10 to basically register it in case I want to use it later. :)

I was reading some of the comments at the site you linked to in the Microsoft #($*&!@ thread. Some seemed to think that the program wouldn't actually block the Windows spyware, you need to have a router that will let you block...er....I forget, a specific IP?

I haven't looked into it enough to know about it. I only upgraded to Win10 to basically register it in case I want to use it later. :)
Depends on the software but at this point I'd wait as I'm not so sure anymore that some of the available software doesn't have malware attached to it.
Here's what I think is a better alternative for now. Again just follow the instructions.......

How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

In the comments section someone posted a way to do it via Powershell (accessed with admin authority).

Get-Service DiagTrack | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled
Get-Service dmwappushservice | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled

I'm here from my Linux Mint partition again. :) Boot repair got the gnome bootloader running again with no troubles. Now I'll probably not get on to my Win7 partition for a month or more, until I am ready to load a game on it. :p I've got the first Tomb Raider on the other PC right now and that's just a DOS game, I don't need the greater power/memory of this one. So yay! That was quite a bit of time and effort that I'll now ignore for who knows how long. :rofl:

I do have a few games I have yet to play that are newer, and might get more at Christmas time, so I'll be happy I did this eventually. ;)

In Win 10 there are some privacy settings you can turn on or off in the Settings menu. Two of the biggest snoopers are Cortana and Edge (attached to IE). The problem is Cortana can be very useful for some especially if one is learning Win 10 but once learned it can be shut off or even uninstalled via Powershell. Edge is a waste of disc space in my opinion but some find it useful.
Also one of the best methods of limiting M$ snooping is to log in with a local account and never use Microsoft Store, another piece of useless (ad filled) M$ bloatware.

Boot to the desktop:

or

Going to a gun show.
Yes, your touch screen will be unchanged. With the update it's just that, an update, not a fresh install so everything that's on your computer will stay, the only thing you'll lose is Microsoft Media Center, you will not be able to play movie DVDs with MMC though it will still show on your computer. You can replace it with VLC or Kodi players.
Also it will boot up about the same amount of time as Win 7, actually slower at first as it's reconfiguring startup processes. To fix that back up all your files, go into Settings and do a fresh reset, that will put Win 10 on your computer almost like doing a fresh install, you'll lose all your files (hence the backup so you can reload what you want). You'll also lose the ability to return to your old operating system unless you have a disc and do a fresh install with the old OS.
You can configure Updates to not automatically restart your computer until you want it to so it doesn't restart when you're in the middle of something.
Have fun at the gun show!! :thup:
Thanks. Not likely that I'll be using windblows a lot any way...
The ammo dealer didn't bring the high end reloading equipment,so I ended up buying 100 rounds of 45 LC and a Damascus steel knife with a stag handle.

So, the windows installer needs human input so other than the download, the upgrade was waiting about where I left it. Hopefully this won't take as long as anything Windows typically does.

Good mornign everybody. Slept in a bit this morning as sleep was fitful last night--a couple of hours of sleep followed by a period of wide awake then a couple more hours of sleep. Hope that phase passes soon.

But during one of my awake periods this morning I was watching the morning news and stuff, and they cited a new study that indicates that the perfect bedtime for adults is precisely 10:37 p.m. So set your alarms. Oh, and the same study indicated that we should all be wearing cotton jammies to bed.

I usually only require like 5-7 hours per night. I don't ever sleep 8 hours. I can't. My dad was the same way. He would normally get 5 hours of sleep every night. He would be up late at night and arise early in the morning. Must be hereditary or something.
I function on less that. Four hours is loads for me. Of course, cat naps between flights help me a bit. Amazing how much mileage I get out of 30 minute naps in my truck.

4f77be310553d2075523b2ab2f12cb53.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
Ringel's Jasper,
Pogo's brother,
Gracie's Karma,
GW's new job and water logged goats,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern with a special RIP for Bert.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

12066013_1026690100683617_9008148923038786244_n.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Forum List

Back