USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay boys and girls, today's pop quiz is on practical economics:

12647316_1076405832435035_8695462441459660428_n.jpg

I sure do love being treated like some lowlife junkie when I'm seething in pain in the ER.

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, that is a consequence of the society we live in today.

Speaking of consequences; I recorded the incident and will be tagging Mercy Hospital in it.

Did they refuse to treat you? That is not allowed I don't think.

I believe it depends on the type of injury. Not every injury is an emergency. Although with some things (e.g. experiencing chest pain) they will pretty much automatically run certain tests, at least, with other things they might just send you to a non-ER doc. I don't know that there is any sort of requirement in giving pain meds. Considering the amount of fraud that is attempted with drugs in the ER (from what ER nurses I know have told me) I would think that there is often a good deal of skepticism if people come in asking for drugs without clear reason.

I don't think the ER can refuse to treat a medical emergency, regardless of any status of the patient, but there is probably leeway in how they treat things and whether they are considered emergency situations.

:dunno:

I sure do love being treated like some lowlife junkie when I'm seething in pain in the ER.

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, that is a consequence of the society we live in today.

Speaking of consequences; I recorded the incident and will be tagging Mercy Hospital in it.

I was in too much pain to communicate any further than I already had (which included checking in, telling them what's wrong, then going through triage, again telling them what's wrong), so when the third person started asking me the same questions, I interrupted with, "I'm in a lot of fucking pain, can somebody please help me??"

She told me not to cuss at her, and she left. 30 minutes later, another nurse came in to ask me the same questions for the fourth time, and then left me alone for another 15 minutes before my wife helped me out to the parking lot, where we called 911 and had me transported to another hospital 45 miles away.

The EMT's had me stabilized and communicating coherently by the time we arrived, and those doctors immediately gave me a muscle relaxer and a CAT scan of my neck. I was in, treated, and out within 45 minutes.

Last edited:

I was in too much pain to communicate any further than I already had (which included checking in, telling them what's wrong, then going through triage, again telling them what's wrong), so when the third person started asking me the same questions, I interrupted with, "I'm in a lot of fucking pain, can somebody please help me??"

She told me not to cuss at her, and she left. 30 minutes later, another nurse came in to ask me the same questions for the fourth time, and then left me alone for another 15 minutes before my wife helped me out to the parking lot, where we called 911 and had me transported to another hospital 45 miles away.

The EMT's had me stabilized and communicating coherently by the time we arrived, and those doctors immediately gave me a muscle relaxer and a CAT scan of my neck. I was in, treated, and out within 45 minutes.

Well, glad to hear you were taken care of. Good luck to you. :)

You know, a lot of emergency rooms are very hesitant to give out heavy duty pain pills because they get a lot of abusers coming in, also paperwork involved. They want to give you some Vicodin or Motrin and send you on your way to your PCP and let THEM write out a prescription for you. Not that this is necessarily right in all instances, but that is how they do things now.

You know, a lot of emergency rooms are very hesitant to give out heavy duty pain pills because they get a lot of abusers coming in, also paperwork involved. They want to give you some Vicodin or Motrin and send you on your way to your PCP and let THEM write out a prescription for you. Not that this is necessarily right in all instances, but that is how they do things now.

I'm definitely finding that to be the case, but damn, the last time I went to the (their) ER was in 2013 when my thumb got crushed in a wood splitter.

Had a busy day today, the repairmen for the roof ans fascia showed up today, the garage door tech showed up to replace a busted gear on one of the door openers, phone calls left and right and finally the police detective arrived........

It seems he needed a written and signed 'intent to prosecute' from me on the perp who broke into the car. I'm guessing either the DA wants all his/her ducks in a row or the defense lawyer is playing legal games. :dunno:

Had a busy day today, the repairmen for the roof ans fascia showed up today, the garage door tech showed up to replace a busted gear on one of the door openers, phone calls left and right and finally the police detective arrived........

It seems he needed a written and signed 'intent to prosecute' from me on the perp who broke into the car. I'm guessing either the DA wants all his/her ducks in a row or the defense lawyer is playing legal games. :dunno:

Did I miss your post about your car being broken into? Did you lose anything important?

That's f**d up!

I'm definitely finding that to be the case, but damn, the last time I went to the (their) ER was in 2013 when my thumb got crushed in a wood splitter.

Well, that would be a circumstance in which they would probably give you pain killers. If you have an obvious serious injury causing you pain, then I don't see them denying meds for that.

Of course if someone comes in after a car accident with obvious injuries, then the emergency room will give them medication. If you come in saying your back hurts or what not, that is not a visible injury, so they are going to err on the side of caution and give you a script for a less potent med and tell you to make an appointment with your PCP in most cases. Sometimes they will give you meds but refuse to write a prescription. Sometimes they might do both for you if they can find that you have a history of surgery or some other serious problem that definitely requires meds. They would want you to see your own doctor though. They won't keep writing prescriptions for you.

Ya left off one other option....... :eusa_whistle:

Demolition?

But demolition costs money and doesn't put any into your pocket. If you sell it, you at least put some money in your pocket and it is the buyer's problem what to do with it. If you fix it, you could move into one habitable room and live there mortgage free and use the money you aren't paying for a mortgage or for rent to do the necessary repairs a little at a time as you have time and money.

Did I miss your post about your car being broken into? Did you lose anything important?
Ya must have. It was the end of November, it appears the primary battery had lost enough of it's charge to be able to lock the vehicle (the Prius). A known thief seems to have been checking door handles and found ours unlocked, took all the CDs in the car (about 20 to 30) and about $10 in cash and change. The responding officers who took the report also dusted for prints but I was told later they couldn't find a match, well it seems the perp was concentrating in our area and already had an extensive rap sheet (a meth addict) and had left readable prints on another car. When they busted him they told him they had his prints but not from which vehicle, thinking they had him on all of them he confessed....... :thup:

Ya left off one other option....... :eusa_whistle:

Demolition?

But demolition costs money and doesn't put any into your pocket. If you sell it, you at least put some money in your pocket and it is the buyer's problem what to do with it. If you fix it, you could move into one habitable room and live there mortgage free and use the money you aren't paying for a mortgage or for rent to do the necessary repairs a little at a time as you have time and money.
Not always, sometimes the best option is to tear it down and build new, that house looks like it would fit that category. Trying to restore it would cost twice as much so probably isn't a viable option, unless you have that kind of money.

Forum List

Back