USMB Coffee Shop IV

Left home on July 9th pulling the 5th wheel. Stopped in SD for an over night visit with friends on his 2000 acre cattle ranch. Have been in Montana since July 12th having the time of my life. Nice place. All good things come to an end and I will head back home next week. Will tell some stories then. Hope everybody is doing ok. Life is good. Enjoy it while you can.

Left home on July 9th pulling the 5th wheel. Stopped in SD for an over night visit with friends on his 2000 acre cattle ranch. Have been in Montana since July 12th having the time of my life. Nice place. All good things come to an end and I will head back home next week. Will tell some stories then. Hope everybody is doing ok. Life is good. Enjoy it while you can.
Good to see you're doing well!!

I hate how everything revolves around credit! I need a form from the IRS for my financial aid for school. OK, let me go see about that. I can apparently go to the IRS website and get it easily. Great! I go to the IRS website, click the appropriate links, start the sign up process......I have to have a credit card, or home or auto loan, or some sort of line of credit to verify my identity. WTF? I have a social security card, a state ID, the post office has my name and address on file, but I have to have some sort of credit to get a file which costs no money? *sigh*

I don't have any of those things, living without money as I mostly do. OK, what are my options? I can have them send me a copy of the form by mail instead. Great! Let me click the appropriate link. I put in my information, which is basically my SSN, name and address. Click enter. This cannot be processed, call this number instead. WTF?

I'll call in the morning and hope there isn't some new reason they can't send me a simple, free form to just verify I didn't need to file taxes last year (I haven't had to file taxes in 8 years or so, my 'pay' is basically room & board). If you don't have a credit card, or a car, or own a home, it's as though you don't exist. I've had this sort of problem before, I was once unable to open a bank account because the bank couldn't find my credit score. Credit? I wanted to open a damn savings account, not take out a loan! :mad:

On the plus side, assuming this all sorts itself out, the school site is showing me being eligible for not only the Pell Grant in full, but another grant as well. Yes, it also shows the total estimated costs at $7,000+ more than I expected, but that includes room & board as well as transportation costs, which are non-existent for an online class. Hopefully I can at least get the full Pell Grant still once the actual costs are determined.

I hate how everything revolves around credit! I need a form from the IRS for my financial aid for school. OK, let me go see about that. I can apparently go to the IRS website and get it easily. Great! I go to the IRS website, click the appropriate links, start the sign up process......I have to have a credit card, or home or auto loan, or some sort of line of credit to verify my identity. WTF? I have a social security card, a state ID, the post office has my name and address on file, but I have to have some sort of credit to get a file which costs no money? *sigh*

I don't have any of those things, living without money as I mostly do. OK, what are my options? I can have them send me a copy of the form by mail instead. Great! Let me click the appropriate link. I put in my information, which is basically my SSN, name and address. Click enter. This cannot be processed, call this number instead. WTF?

I'll call in the morning and hope there isn't some new reason they can't send me a simple, free form to just verify I didn't need to file taxes last year (I haven't had to file taxes in 8 years or so, my 'pay' is basically room & board). If you don't have a credit card, or a car, or own a home, it's as though you don't exist. I've had this sort of problem before, I was once unable to open a bank account because the bank couldn't find my credit score. Credit? I wanted to open a damn savings account, not take out a loan! :mad:

On the plus side, assuming this all sorts itself out, the school site is showing me being eligible for not only the Pell Grant in full, but another grant as well. Yes, it also shows the total estimated costs at $7,000+ more than I expected, but that includes room & board as well as transportation costs, which are non-existent for an online class. Hopefully I can at least get the full Pell Grant still once the actual costs are determined.
Here's how to establish credit. Apply for a store credit card, Sears, Macy's, J C Penny. Don't worry, you'll get one.

Buy a couple pairs of socks or skivvies or a pair of tennis shoes. When the bill comes, pay it on time. I cannot stress that strongly enough.

You will then establish the fact that you can be trusted with a credit card. Monitor your credit scores monthly. If there are any questionable points on your score, contact the credit rating agency and ask questions! Questions like "why is this payment not shown?" "What can I do to raise my credit score?"

After a few months, your credit score should be respectable enough to justify a major credit card. Apply for one. Make a small purchase like a bicycle or a television set. Again, when the bill comes, pay it on time!

Before you know it, you will be able to finance a home or car.

Then welcome to my world! A place where the payments never end and you'll wish you never applied for that store credit card in the first place!

upload_2016-7-20_22-1-9.png

Chicken Hawk...

Here's how to establish credit. Apply for a store credit card, Sears, Macy's, J C Penny. Don't worry, you'll get one.

Buy a couple pairs of socks or skivvies or a pair of tennis shoes. When the bill comes, pay it on time. I cannot stress that strongly enough.

You will then establish the fact that you can be trusted with a credit card. Monitor your credit scores monthly. If there are any questionable points on your score, contact the credit rating agency and ask questions! Questions like "why is this payment not shown?" "What can I do to raise my credit score?"

After a few months, your credit score should be respectable enough to justify a major credit card. Apply for one. Make a small purchase like a bicycle or a television set. Again, when the bill comes, pay it on time!

Then welcome to my world! A place where the payments never end and you'll wish you never applied for that store credit card in the first place!
Or you can do what I did and destroy your credit rating, if you want anything save up for it, if it's a big purchase save up enough to pay at least one third down and you'll get credit at a good rate, put down half and it will be a great rate.......
That way no one wants to steal your ID.......

Or you can do what I did and destroy your credit rating, if you want anything save up for it, if it's a big purchase save up enough to pay at least one third down and you'll get credit at a good rate, put down half and it will be a great rate.......
Pop always said, "Pay cash for the luxuries and finance the necessities."

Want that kick ass stereo system? Save for it. Need a car to get to work? Finance it.

Want that kick ass stereo system? Save for it. Need a car to get to work? Finance it.
Need a car, put down at least half for it, need a house buy half of what you can afford and put down as much as possible........
In reality vehicles tend to depreciate fastest so never buy new and always try to buy what you can afford, if that's a $5000 visual junker with a good engine and drive train then that's what you buy unless you can find a way to make the vehicle earn money.

Need a car, put down at least half for it, need a house buy half of what you can afford and put down as much as possible........
In reality vehicles tend to depreciate fastest so never buy new and always try to buy what you can afford, if that's a $5000 visual junker with a good engine and drive train then that's what you buy unless you can find a way to make the vehicle earn money.

I'm planning to skip credit cards. I'll just get a debit card whenever I return to the land of those paid with money and get a bank account. :lol:

I will probably also be dealing with buying a car for the first time some time in the next couple of years. Admittedly, I still haven't gotten a license, but I plan on that this year, sadly. I've saved so much money over the years not having a car. I doubt I'll be able to continue that, though.

I'm planning to skip credit cards. I'll just get a debit card whenever I return to the land of those paid with money and get a bank account. :lol:

I will probably also be dealing with buying a car for the first time some time in the next couple of years. Admittedly, I still haven't gotten a license, but I plan on that this year, sadly. I've saved so much money over the years not having a car. I doubt I'll be able to continue that, though.
Taxes, fees, inspections (if your state requires it), insurance, gas, oil, tires, maintenance, license fees, more taxes and if you finance it (and don't double pay on the principle) costs even more.

So good to hear from you BBD. Will look forward to tales of your adventures. Be safe.

A driver's license is a good thing to have for many reasons. You can wait on buying the car part until you need one. A credit card, if even a self funded one, is a good thing to have. You can't rent a car or check into some hotels etc. without one. Carrying a lot of cash these days is not a good idea. But I figure you'll work it all out as you transition into the more complicated world the rest of us occupy here.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back