USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Belated New Year! I hope everyone has a peaceful and prosperous year.

:smiliehug: Happy New Year to you too! We LOVE when you come to the Coffee Shop, you know! :)

raw

I'm either sick, or I'm having a heck of a lot of hot flashes today.....
Sheila! How are you and Mr. Sheila? Did the kitchen finally get finished?

The kitchen is beautiful, the fireplace isn't working yet and we need the final inspections and we'll be done. When are you going to come see?
I'm planning on going to Japan this coming summer, maybe I'll try to schedule a layover in Seattle. Will that be close enough?

Oh yeah, I'm 20 minutes from the Airport, excluding changes and construction on the entrance. I have a spare room you can stay in too.

My PC won't let me on our wifi network.
I know it works because hubby is online and my kindel is working.
Gonna have ta take it into de shop. :)
I hate going to Sierra Vista.

Well, yesterday was a somewhat bittersweet kind of day. Some good things happened and some not so good things happened. My beloved Washington Redskins lost their football game so their season is over. Instead of going to the playoffs, they will be going on vacation. Wonder which they would have enjoyed the most? On a good note, my second favorite team, the Packers won their football game and also the division. So, the day wasn't a total bummer after all. When the Packers won their game I smiled all over! Don't know how far they will make it through the playoffs but at least they still have an iron in the fire.
What is this with football on Sunday? Football is played on Saturday in Tuscaloosa.

I don't know about that, but I do know that the Pats have the best win/loss record in the league. Playoffs, here we come! :2up:
The Tide is on a 26 game win streak. No Pro team has ever come close to that.

Which just goes to show the total lack of parity in college ball. ;)

I can control lights in the bedroom and the Great Hall. I can adjust the temperature and humidity in the whole house. But I want to use a key at least, the garage door opener at most to get into the house.

I gave my brother a robot lock for one of his doors. It too works with Alexa. I wonder if I could simply shout at a rear window, "Alexa! Open the door!"

If poetry has value, the command should be "Open! Sesame!"

Does Alexa come with condoms? I'll probably be telling ours to .... itself.

I'm once again having school issues. This time it's because my school merged with another school. Now there is a new website, the bookstore doesn't list the classes I'm registered for, my financial aid is supposedly not coming until 2 weeks after classes start, which means I'll probably have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed, it's frustrating. On top of that, with classes starting on Monday, today is the first day in a couple of weeks that the staff has been available (they were apparently on their own vacation). Now I can't log into the website where I check my class registration and financial aid, and no one answered the phone when I tried to call about financial aid. I'm afraid everyone is trying to get their issues dealt with today and I may not be able to get a hold of anyone.

I've got emails out to my advisor and the financial aid office, and if I can get to my list of registered classes at some point I'm going to look up the emails of my instructors and send them emails asking what books I'll need for this semester, but the whole thing is a bit of a clusterf*#& right now. I had hoped my issues last semester were an outlier, since it was my first time taking classes and getting financial aid. Now I can only hope that after this time, things go smoothly, assuming nothing prevents me from continuing in the program.

:mad:

I can control lights in the bedroom and the Great Hall. I can adjust the temperature and humidity in the whole house. But I want to use a key at least, the garage door opener at most to get into the house.

I gave my brother a robot lock for one of his doors. It too works with Alexa. I wonder if I could simply shout at a rear window, "Alexa! Open the door!"

If poetry has value, the command should be "Open! Sesame!"

Does Alexa come with condoms? I'll probably be telling ours to .... itself.
I asked Alexa to 'open the pod bay doors'.

She said "I can't Dave. I'm not HAL and we're not in outer space!"

I'm once again having school issues. This time it's because my school merged with another school. Now there is a new website, the bookstore doesn't list the classes I'm registered for, my financial aid is supposedly not coming until 2 weeks after classes start, which means I'll probably have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed, it's frustrating. On top of that, with classes starting on Monday, today is the first day in a couple of weeks that the staff has been available (they were apparently on their own vacation). Now I can't log into the website where I check my class registration and financial aid, and no one answered the phone when I tried to call about financial aid. I'm afraid everyone is trying to get their issues dealt with today and I may not be able to get a hold of anyone.

I've got emails out to my advisor and the financial aid office, and if I can get to my list of registered classes at some point I'm going to look up the emails of my instructors and send them emails asking what books I'll need for this semester, but the whole thing is a bit of a clusterf*#& right now. I had hoped my issues last semester were an outlier, since it was my first time taking classes and getting financial aid. Now I can only hope that after this time, things go smoothly, assuming nothing prevents me from continuing in the program.

So this part of your education is free. My college roommate and I discovered walking through registration backwards and stopping to the first stage of registration was way faster than waiting in the line out front. :eusa_whistle:

So this part of your education is free. My college roommate and I discovered walking through registration backwards and stopping to the first stage of registration was way faster than waiting in the line out front. :eusa_whistle:

It looks like the bookstore has been adjusted and my classes will be listed. I can't be certain because I can't access the page where my registered classes are listed, but I'm pretty sure.

I feel a lot better about it this afternoon than I did the last couple of days. In addition, this time it looks possible that the books I will need will be available used or as rentals so I can save money. That's a big issue with my odd life situation; I don't have ready access to a lot of money. I can get everything paid for and get the grant money later on, my employer will put it on her credit card if I need it, it's just annoying and seems unnecessary.

Hopefully I'll start classes on Monday without too much in the way of problems.

Well, yesterday was a somewhat bittersweet kind of day. Some good things happened and some not so good things happened. My beloved Washington Redskins lost their football game so their season is over. Instead of going to the playoffs, they will be going on vacation. Wonder which they would have enjoyed the most? On a good note, my second favorite team, the Packers won their football game and also the division. So, the day wasn't a total bummer after all. When the Packers won their game I smiled all over! Don't know how far they will make it through the playoffs but at least they still have an iron in the fire.
What is this with football on Sunday? Football is played on Saturday in Tuscaloosa.

I don't know about that, but I do know that the Pats have the best win/loss record in the league. Playoffs, here we come! :2up:
The Tide is on a 26 game win streak. No Pro team has ever come close to that.

Which just goes to show the total lack of parity in college ball. ;)
Well, High School players want to play for a winning team in order to get national exposure for a pro job. You will generally see SEC teams getting great freshmen. Hell the Tide's quarterback is a freshman. He's got a great arm and can run

The biggest problem with catching up is looking like a forum hog.
The flue's going around up here, too. I haven't had a flu shot since I retired from the Army, though. I always got sick from the shot and now that I have a choice, I haven't gotten the flu since (touch wood!)
I'm up in Willow for a couple of days, the partner is caring for the goats for the time I'm up here. My Pyr ran away New Year's Eve, probably because of the fireworks, which are illegal. Guess that never stopped anyone. Lots of missing dogs on CL the last couple of days, though. I tracked her as far as I could and am hoping that someone has found her and will call the vet's office when they open again. I'd like to be the fool who tried to bring that dog inside, though. 125 lbs and she hates being indoors.
The partner has been "improving" our little power grid here so I am relying on lanterns for light. That isn't the inconvenience many would think.
Belated Happy New Year to all of my CS fellow-travelers. Hopefully, 2017 will be good to all of us!

It's starting out for most of us like 2016--some good, some bad, some hope, some worry, some just toughing it out. My great niece's car was stolen out of her garage yesterday afternoon. And of course she had left the keys in it along with her purse with all her personal information, credit cards etc. and a bunch of other stuff because it was safe in her own garage, yes? Some of us really do have to learn the hard way. I feel badly for her but it could have been worse.

I do hope you find your dog though. That has to be a major worry for you.
Found the dog at Animal Control, no collar. I'm guessing someone tried to drag her into a car and she pulled loose so they called animal control to come pick her up. Cost me $64 to spring her from doggy jail, but she was really happy to come home. We took one of her goats with us to pick her up and that calmed her enough to load her into the Jeep where she laid down with her goat for the ride home. I wasn't the only person picking up a dog that had run away due to fireworks, there were at least six others there when I went to pick up Roxy. Plenty more, too, I understand. It's a shame they can't enforce the no fireworks regulation. Better yet, it's a real shame that so many total assholes disregard the regulation, or the reasons it exists, just so they can blow off some powder (and a lot of money).

I met someone today. Ex marine, in his middle fifties, has no pets but misses them, has a room available sometime in Feb. Also is an antique dealer, has a mall space he makes extra money on, needs help in fixing up his mom's home since he wants to sell it in 2 years...no deposit but wants verifiable references and us to stay at least 6 months to a year but if senior housing call prior..it's OK for us to leave sooner if we wish.

Funny and weird thing is...he asked his mom (she passed on Dec 7th) to send him someone that will help him, will pay on time, is nice and friendly...and then he found my ad. I told him to tell mom "thanks" for leading him to us...cause he said he never looks on CL in the room wanted section. Never thought about it, he said. He has been taking care of her for a few years and at 90, her body finally gave up. Then he prayed to her a couple of nights ago and like a whisper idea that just popped into his head out of nowhere...he went to CL. And there we were (his words).

I think this MAY be the place. Keep yer fingers crossed! We want to move in sometime.e in Feb...and he wanted someone sometime in Feb. Perfect timing and so much in common!

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app
I'm rooting for you with everything I've got, Gracie! Heck, I'm crying...how sissy is that? Good, GREAT luck. Maybe the new year will bring a change of fortune for you, Mr. Gracie, and Moki.
Aww..thank you GW. But..Moki passed away about 3 months ago. Its just me, MrG and Karma now.
And yes...we did get the room. Google Paradise Calif....that is where we will be heading for awhile. I'm trying to not get too excited cuz I always get disappointed but its looking really good right now. And I won't be losing my CenCal cuz I ain't telling 'em I moved out of this county cuz I haven't. I am "visiting" friends for a couple of months...and may travel even more. My "home" is still San Luis Obispo county. Still will have the PO box, still have my docs here, still have my bank here, will drive here for checkups and such. Its a 6 hour drive but I can do it, stay in a motel 6 overnight, see the doc every 3 months, head back to Paradise. Or babysit some goats in Alaska. Who knows? :lol:
I apologize for the mix-up. I guess Moki is just such a catchy name. I still wish you, Mr. G, and Karma all the best. I wouldn't tell anyone about the changes, either, if it was going to severely impact something as essentially important as your health care. I'm still crossing my hooks that all things work out for the best for you guys. Maybe Paradise will turn out to be just that...

I just ordered the film 'lion in winter' yesterday from amazon on a one day delivery. I was still waiting for conformation of despatch at 10pm last night but it did not come so I went to bed. I got up at 4.30am because I could not sleep and the conformation has arrived. Clearly amazon work all night.

I wanted to get the film because I saw it on TV ages ago and I remember it being high quality dialogue in the Shakespearian style.

I'm either sick, or I'm having a heck of a lot of hot flashes today.....
Sheila! How are you and Mr. Sheila? Did the kitchen finally get finished?

The kitchen is beautiful, the fireplace isn't working yet and we need the final inspections and we'll be done. When are you going to come see?
I'm planning on going to Japan this coming summer, maybe I'll try to schedule a layover in Seattle. Will that be close enough?

Oh yeah, I'm 20 minutes from the Airport, excluding changes and construction on the entrance. I have a spare room you can stay in too.
We'll see how things work out. Regardless of where I fly from to get overseas, I'll have to transit Seattle to get back to AK. Maybe lunch and a short sightseeing tour? I'll be tucking away quarters in the piggy bank you gifted me until then.

I just ordered the film 'lion in winter' yesterday from amazon on a one day delivery. I was still waiting for conformation of despatch at 10pm last night but it did not come so I went to bed. I got up at 4.30am because I could not sleep and the conformation has arrived. Clearly amazon work all night.

I wanted to get the film because I saw it on TV ages ago and I remember it being high quality dialogue in the Shakespearian style.
"The Lion in Winter" is outstanding. Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn in a world class war of words, verbal jousting at its best. And a very young Anthony Hopkins! Few things are better entertainment than a well-acted piece, and this was one of the best, IMHO.

I cannot sleep and was laying awake and I remembered an incident decades ago when my uncle had burglars.
They came several times and in the final visit they beat him up. He decided to move out and I went and stayed in his house redecorating. I was expecting the chance the burglars would come back so I prepared myself for a confrontation. I took out the lighting fuse and had a hand held, very bright photography light. I wrapped a poker in a sack as a weapon and laid in wait for the intruders. It was very creepy and it did not help that I had just been to see 'Alien' at the cinema.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

They probably would have killed me, but fortunately they did not come back on my watch.

Forum List

Back