USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yesterday I delivered the Meals on Wheels to a couple dozen residents. Never done it before. It was a a lot of fun.

That was very charitable of you, H. The second happiest group of people are those who volunteer. The first? Those who work for compensation.

I have usually combined both. :thup: Probably what keeps my attitude in a good place.
Well, actually... I got paid LOL. I was hired on an "ass-needed" basis at a local rehab/nursing facility and they were short-staffed and called me in.

That said... I have in the past bought gasoline gift cards for meals on wheels volunteers. So I guess my karma is still in balance? :dunno:

I don't know why....but this made me laugh. :)

i-m-at-that-awkward-stage-between-jailbait-and-cougar-funny-art-poster-print.jpg

Well, I am slicked up and waiting patiently as Mrs. BBD gets ready to go out on our date. Taking her out to supper and then to the symphony. Got my black "power suit" on, white shirt, red tie and shiny black shoes. I shine like a new dime. Even tossed on some after shave after I shaved and took my shower. I'm telling ya, I'm the best looking fella in Ogle County at the moment. Taking Mrs. BBD out to a great place that has really good prime rib and a terrific salad bar. After we eat and attend the symphony I will stop by this little place for some pie and coffee on the way home. She will have tea, of course, because she doesn't drink coffee. Should be a fun evening.

Well, I am slicked up and waiting patiently as Mrs. BBD gets ready to go out on our date. Taking her out to supper and then to the symphony. Got my black "power suit" on, white shirt, red tie and shiny black shoes. I shine like a new dime. Even tossed on some after shave after I shaved and took my shower. I'm telling ya, I'm the best looking fella in Ogle County at the moment. Taking Mrs. BBD out to a great place that has really good prime rib and a terrific salad bar. After we eat and attend the symphony I will stop by this little place for some pie and coffee on the way home. She will have tea, of course, because she doesn't drink coffee. Should be a fun evening.

She is one lucky lady, BBD.:thup: :smiliehug:

You're a good man BBD. A think a lot of guys could take some lessons from you. :)

You live in the country, is your suit appropriately 2 sizes too small?

Discussing how to clean, season and re-season cast iron cookware (among other things) on the muzzelloading forum, the general consensus is cooking cornbread in cast iron keeps it well seasoned..... I'm catching hell because I hate cornbread........ :lol:

How can any red blooded born and bred American hate cornbread???? (It isn't my favorite or my first choice either, but it does have its purposes. You can't have pinto beans without cornbread. And cornbread dressing for the turkey is the absolute best.)

I love cornbread. I can see where people could hate it, if they have some with sugar in it. ( can we say cake? )Sugar has no place in the best cornbread, baked at high temps in a cast iron skillet for about 25 minutes using white cornmeal, turning only once, to brown the bottom and make it crusty and crunchy, in those lovely bacon drippings of about one or two tablespoons. :thup: Golden brown on top and crunchy on bottom. Butter in- between . To die for, :lol:
I've tried cornbread just about any way it can be prepared, still hate it to this day.

Discussing how to clean, season and re-season cast iron cookware (among other things) on the muzzelloading forum, the general consensus is cooking cornbread in cast iron keeps it well seasoned..... I'm catching hell because I hate cornbread........ :lol:

For Christmas, my mom requested an 8-inch cast iron skillet specifically to make cornbread. I'm not a huge fan...I'd rather have a flaky biscuit or sweet Hawaiian roll.

I am quite a connoisseur when it comes to cornbread--I could be a judge at the county fair. . . .and for some cuisines, nothing else is quite appropriate. I would choose cornbread over the biscuit. But given a choice between a serving of cornbread and the sweet Hawaiian roll? I'd go for the roll or almost any fresh bread less heavy than cornbread. :)
Biggest problem with cornbread is that it's made from corn, most of which is GMO at this point. Otherwise, I love cornbread smothered in butter.

Went out back to indulge in my bad habit. Gizmo the kitty comes running up to the door and zips right in when I open it heading straight to the food, go figure.

I would have a couple of concerns with a cat coming in and out of my house...bringing in unwanted things like fleas/ticks and/or passing on something to my indoor cats. Also, if s/he isn't spayed or neutered, it could mean a litter of kittens or the horrible stench of a male marking his territory.
She's pretty clean, haven't found and critters on her or any signs of worms, I've checked. She'll want to go back out in the morning but will be back in a day or two, when she does I'm taking her to the vet to have her checked out and see if she has a chip. Hell as good as she looks they may already know her.
Have them check for FeLV.

Leaving to go to my buddy, the vet, office to bring Jingles home in a few minutes. She had pancreatitis and he will be sending her home with a handful of meds and a special diet. She should recover just fine he said.
Good luck, BBD. I've had a few buddies who lost fur-fam to pancreatitis. It can go a while, but is always fatal.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Is anyone here familiar with linen clothing fabric? I bought some, medium weight, but it seems to be a pretty loose weave as I can see my hand shape through the fabric when held up to the light. Is this normal?

Is anyone here familiar with linen clothing fabric? I bought some, medium weight, but it seems to be a pretty loose weave as I can see my hand shape through the fabric when held up to the light. Is this normal?

You can buy really tightly woven heavy grade--I'm thinking 8 oz?--linen but it is prohibitively expensive for most folks. Most clothing grade linen is going to be somewhat see through so folks who wear especially white linen have to be careful about what undergarments they wear with it.

You can buy really tightly woven heavy grade--I'm thinking 8 oz?--linen but it is prohibitively expensive for most folks. Most clothing grade linen is going to be somewhat see through so folks who wear especially white linen have to be careful about what undergarments they wear with it.
Yeah, someone on the muzzelloading form finally responded. Basically 8oz and heavier linen is considered "canvas" grade and is fairly expensive. What we have today was called Osnaburg Linen, was cheap and primarily used for working clothes, indentured servants and slaves. I know they sell what is called Osnaburg today but in fact the modern Osnaburg wasn't used for clothing or anything else that I know of.
I can get 8oz for around $9 to $10 a yard and 10 oz Jacquard for around $20 a yard. I can also get 100% 17oz hemp fabric for $24 a yard, it comes from Romania. When I have the money coming back in I might buy enough to make a proper colonial thru federal era tent, or not....... We'll see.
What I'm considering is when I make my breeches I'll line them in jute cotton fabric of the same color, the waistcoat is supposed to be lined and the frock coat has an inner and outer lining to make it more "stiff".

Forum List

Back