USMB Coffee Shop IV

Bright and sunny here this morning, but chilly in the low 20s. We haven't gotten hardly any snow at all this year, but I think we are expected to get some this week some time but only a couple of inches. Last winter, we were literally bombarded with the stuff. At this time last year, there were huge snow banks all over the place! I'm not really that sorry because the snow tends to make everything that you have to do more difficult and time consuming.
Sunny here, too, but single digit temps. Girls gotmhot mash for breakfast this morning.

You're in Alaska you said, didn't you? Is it dark there during the day at this time of year? When does that happen and for how long does it last?
Sunrise in these parts right now is about 9:41 am, sunset: about 4:40 pm. The temps have been in the teens the past day and it's snowing right now.

Do the really short days ever bother you? I always hated having to go to work in the dark and arriving home in the dark.
Nah. I work graves, so I have daylight for other things besides work. I've worked graves for most of the past 15 years and I prefer this schedule. We've gotten a bit spoiled with the temps in the mid- to high-30s, though. Single digits are uncomfortable...

Have an appointment tomorrow to be shown how to fit my new contact lenses. I am getting new glasses as well, the contacts I will use mainly for karate tournaments. I get the new glasses next week.

Last week when my mates and I wen to Inflatable World, I ended up with a pretty nasty burn on my elbow, which I found out was a second degree superficial partial thickness burn. Long name eh? That's according to google and the pharmacist I decided to go and see. I have been looking after it, keeping it covered, changing the dressing daily, and I removed it today to have a look at it, and it has almost healed! It is still quite deep a wound, but fresh skin is growing quite nicely around the edges so I think I might leave the dressing off for now. Its no longer an open wound, thank goodness.

Hope all is well with everyone. :)
Eons ago a friend of mine shared a room with a guy who had gotten high as a kite, hopped on his Harley wearing only shorts and ran from the cops when they tried to stop him for speeding. He lost control at a high rate of speed, needless to say there wasn't much left of his skin that wasn't covered in road rash. All he did was lay in his hospital bed and moan all day and night. My friend finally got tired of it and had them move him to another room.

Ouch. That must be terribly painful.
Getting old is not for the faint-of-heart.

Got a call earlier today, automated VA medical reminder of an appointment I didn't know I had, tomorrow morning........ at the Albuquerque VA Center.........

Hope it goes well. Keep us posted.
It's just to get fitted for another Borg device....... :eusa_whistle:
Thanks. :D

A Borg device? Should I ask what that is? :D
Fusion-knee-brace-2.png

I already wear one on my left knee. Now i get to wear one on my right knee.
I figure with both on I'll get dressed up like an old time cowboy, hide them under some batwing chaps, that way people won't ask why I'm walking bowlegged......... :D

Did you have knee surgery or just bad knees or something? :lol: I'm sorry, if I'm too nosy, just tell me.

Near 80 again today here in Flawduh. Don't hate me....but I was by the pool.

Marvelous. :)

pools_mosaicist-architectural-mosaic_miami_fl_1114l.jpg
Aside from the stifling humidity, I used to kinda like Florida back in '84 to '87 when I lived in Tampa. I did like the beach, and spent a lot of time there, at as many as I could hit. But I'm not so sure I'd like Florida much anymore. Sounds like there's too many people there for me...

Florida Passes New York to Become the Nation’s Third Most Populous State, Census Bureau Reports

By adding an average of 803 new residents each day between July 1, 2013 and July 1, 2014, Florida passed New York to become the nation’s third most populous state, according to U.S. Census Bureau state population estimates released today. Florida’s population grew by 293,000 over this period, reaching 19.9 million.

Florida Passes New York to Become Nation s Third Most Populous State

Near 80 again today here in Flawduh. Don't hate me....but I was by the pool.

Marvelous. :)

pools_mosaicist-architectural-mosaic_miami_fl_1114l.jpg
Aside from the stifling humidity, I used to kinda like Florida back in '84 to '87 when I lived in Tampa. I did like the beach, and spent a lot of time there, at as many as I could hit. But I'm not so sure I'd like Florida much anymore. Sounds like there's too many people there for me...

Florida Passes New York to Become the Nation’s Third Most Populous State, Census Bureau Reports

By adding an average of 803 new residents each day between July 1, 2013 and July 1, 2014, Florida passed New York to become the nation’s third most populous state, according to U.S. Census Bureau state population estimates released today. Florida’s population grew by 293,000 over this period, reaching 19.9 million.

Florida Passes New York to Become Nation s Third Most Populous State

I would like that pool and that weather! :lol:

Got a call earlier today, automated VA medical reminder of an appointment I didn't know I had, tomorrow morning........ at the Albuquerque VA Center.........

Fusion-knee-brace-2.png

I figure with both on I'll get dressed up like an old time cowboy, hide them under some batwing chaps, that way people won't ask why I'm walking bowlegged......... :D

Did you have knee surgery or just bad knees or something? :lol: I'm sorry, if I'm too nosy, just tell me.
I've had 2 surgeries on my left knee over the last 35 years, it's deteriorated enough that I've been walking bone on bone for a couple of decades. The right knee has been deteriorating over the last 5 years. The process of eventually getting the knees replaced takes quite a while with VA medical, have to jump through all the medical hoops first.

Fusion-knee-brace-2.png

I've had 2 surgeries on my left knee over the last 35 years, it's deteriorated enough that I've been walking bone on bone for a couple of decades. The right knee has been deteriorating over the last 5 years. The process of eventually getting the knees replaced takes quite a while with VA medical, have to jump through all the medical hoops first.

That is terrible. I would say something, but we aren't supposed to be political in here. :D Anyway, sorry to hear about your trouble, and hopefully they can find a way to get on the ball and take better care of their patients.

Fusion-knee-brace-2.png

That is terrible. I would say something, but we aren't supposed to be political in here. :D Anyway, sorry to hear about your trouble, and hopefully they can find a way to get on the ball and take better care of their patients.
Don't misunderstand. This is NOT political, simply how the government does things. Someone institutes a program like the VA, the Government goes to experts who tell them here is how we do it starting at step 1 moving to step whatever but in certain situations we jump from step one to five thousand.
The government hears step one to step whatever only and institutes the program following these steps, later on when their own people come back and ask about certain situations is a lengthy process for that installed. Part of it is supposed to help combat potential fraud.
Oh and I've only been with the VA a couple of years.

I just watched the SOTU speech. I'm really ready for bed now! *** yawn *** Good night everybody. Why does listening to politicians (any of them) make me so sleepy?
Let me tell ya about somethin' you might find a little more interesting. I'll be heading down to Dubuque to Roeder's Outdoor Power, Friday, to pick up a new, (old), 2012 John Deere X720. Pretty big machine for a lawn tractor but, I'm getting a new hydro turn plow on it too for the driveway, and I'll be getting a rototiller attachment for the back this spring. Nice machine, only 209 hours on it and they gave me a hellova deal. Here's it is. It's still upstairs in storage in these pics from yesterday, and doesn't have the new JD plow on it yet... what'a ya think?

Heading out to go pick this bad boy up right now. Going to stop by the Menards in Platteville to buy one of those portable garages. A 13x20x10 footer, curved top, fully enclosed, because this thing is NOT going to sit outside, and it won't fit in the shed where the little John Deere is.

We did end up getting that rain they promised and more. They were talking an inch and a half and we're at 4" and still raining.

Anyone else messed up by the new Social security payment schedule? I used to get my check deposited on the 4th Thursday. This year, that got changed to the 4th Wednesday. That sounds like I get paid a day earlier, right? Well, January started on a Thursday this month and the new schedule sets me back 6 days.

Good morning all. Sending vibes for safe travels for RIngel.

A beautiful bright blue morning in Albuquerque but a chilly 20 degrees here too at this hour and we'll be lucky to make it up to 40 for a high today. Four inches of rain and still raining is a LOT Ernie. Once in a blue moon Albuquerque will get two or three inches of rain in a freak storm and it completely flash floods us out for awhile. I suppose places that routinely get that kind of rain can handle it though.

Okay the coffee is ready finally so I'm off to the kitchen to procure a large mug of it.

Good morning all. Sending vibes for safe travels for RIngel.

A beautiful bright blue morning in Albuquerque but a chilly 20 degrees here too at this hour and we'll be lucky to make it up to 40 for a high today. Four inches of rain and still raining is a LOT Ernie. Once in a blue moon Albuquerque will get two or three inches of rain in a freak storm and it completely flash floods us out for awhile. I suppose places that routinely get that kind of rain can handle it though.

Okay the coffee is ready finally so I'm off to the kitchen to procure a large mug of it.
If I remember correctly, it was late June or early July. They were predicting heavy rain; 4 to 6". We got slightly more. Lillian Alabama, about 7 miles east of here, got 26" in a 24 hour period. We were lucky in Foley. We got 24.5. It was pretty bad along the rivers and streams. Sandy Creek was 10 feet above the banks. We did OK here, but we did get some water in at the bar. A neighbor also on Sandy Creek, only 1/2 mile away is still rebuilding his place. Water was up to his eaves. The flooding left his house intact from the outside including landscaping, but everything in it was gone.

I'm usually up about 10. Considering I hit the sack about 2, that's pretty normal. I was up just after 7 this morning and I feel terrible. It's a cold minimum. I think I'll drop off the wife and come home and try to get some more sleep.

Big drama on the board yesterday. It was like watching a train wreak in slow motion. Nice to be back in the sanity of the CS.

I hope Ringel and Foxy stay warm. Sending a nice cup of java your way. :)

Coffee-and-Breakfast.png

Darn. I venture out of the Coffee Shop so seldom, I miss all the really good stuff. Would that be the thread that was closed and has now vanished? And everybody who wasn't there will now be eternally curious?

Last edited:
Big drama on the board yesterday. It was like watching a train wreak in slow motion. Nice to be back in the sanity of the CS.

Coffee-and-Breakfast.png

Darn. I venture out of the Coffee Shop so seldom, I miss all the really good stuff. Would that be the thread that was closed and has now vanished? And everybody who wasn't there will not be eternally curious?

Yes. It is the thread now closed. It went on all day. Oy vey.....It truly was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Coffee-and-Breakfast.png

Darn. I venture out of the Coffee Shop so seldom, I miss all the really good stuff. Would that be the thread that was closed and has now vanished? And everybody who wasn't there will not be eternally curious?

Yes. It is the thread now closed. It went on all day. Oy vey.....It truly was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Such threads generally result in one or more people being banned. So I hope none of our Coffee Shoppers were involved--at least to that point. But alas I didn't see any of it. I really need to get out more. :)

Last edited:

Coffee-and-Breakfast.png

Such threads generally result in one or more people being banned. So I hope none of our Coffee Shoppers were involved--at least to that point. But alas I didn't see any of it. I really need to get out more. :)

I admit to a certain horrid fascination, but now I just feel creepy and sad for the people involved. I won't talk about it anymore, Foxy. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. I guess I had to vent a little. Just glad I can hang out here without the drama. :)

Forum List

Back