Walter Williams: Why the Founders Did Not Want a Democracy

You were not going to get that document without it. You must believe that documents for freedoms just printed out of thin air like a fiat currency. We have been discussing the downside to it for many years. The Prog guilt trip as it were. Cry me a river while destroying others. We even have pains with it during our existence. You need a Soviet Union constitution. Plenty of strong and nice words for the citizens.
You're the one seemingly crying salty tears over me calmly discussing the historical facts of America. 😄

You're the one seemingly crying salty tears over me calmly discussing the historical facts of America. 😄
The facts are always promoted by those in control to destroy. They made a document with amendments. Back when we were low taxed in the 1950's we had ghettos. It is the 2020's with every program started by Progs they could and spending tens of trillions of dollars and tens of trillions more on social issues. We still have ghettos and many people hooked on a government lifeline in near all areas. Study up on current economic conditions. This is far more important than the past. People can become as ugly as it gets during bade economic times and be led by despots which is something to study from the past.

The facts are always promoted by those in control to destroy. They made a document with amendments. Back when we were low taxed in the 1950's we had ghettos. It is the 2020's with every program started by Progs they could and spending tens of trillions of dollars and tens of trillions more on social issues. We still have ghettos and many people hooked on a government lifeline in near all areas. Study up on current economic conditions. This is far more important than the past. People can become as ugly as it gets during bade economic times and be led by despots which is something to study from the past.
Those ghettos were created on purpose and in fact highlight the stark difference between how much good can be done with government subsidizing of home ownership (for white families) and what happens when the poor are further harassed and bullied by cruelty and racism. The subsidizing of white home ownership, starting in the 30s, with the Housing Act during the Great Depression lifted white Americans out of poverty and is mostly responsible for the creation of the white middle class.

What does this sentence mean? What fact are you talking about? I never disagreed that their ancient direct democracy was the first recorded instance of a direct democracy. What I questioned was whether the word "democracy" as I used it implied a reference to that ancient civilization.

And yet when I say "we" are a democracy you should know that I'm referring to our representative democracy rather than saying we are an ancient civilization. If you don't, that's really your mental issue, not mine.

The point is they coined the term "democracy" to mean a direct democracy where everyone voted directly on all proposals.
The word "democracy" then can not mean anything else.
The Athenians defined it.
We can not change it.
If we mean a representative democracy, then we have to use that fully qualified language, and not just the word "democracy".
And there are several reason that distinction is still important.
One is that there still are lots of examples of direct democracies.
In Congress itself, the legislators use direct democracy in order to determine if a bill has passed.
So do families, clubs, churches, etc.
The word "democracy" by itself does not mean a representative democracy, but a direct democracy.

It would not matter except that we need more fixes.
We not only need to start calling this a representative democracy, but a constitutional, representative, democratic, republic and any other additional qualifiers we can come up with.
Because clearly our system is still broken and needs fixing.

I'm Black you moron. I'm making a point that Republics don't necessarily have to protect the individual rights of everybody.
Blacks own slaves hell blacks own slaves in Africa right now. Feeling the need to self identify as black means nothing because slavery wasn't an institution started by whites.

The beginning of this Republic included legalized, institutional slavery. "Republic" doesn't mean benevolent and it doesn't mean it's immune to mob rule.

Tired old leftist spin. The constitution allows for amendments to change bad laws. If the US was a democracy the democrats would of had the votes to keep slavery much longer.

Tired old leftist spin. The constitution allows for amendments to change bad laws. If the US was a democracy the democrats would of had the votes to keep slavery much longer.
Yes they would have. Imagine if the democrats were allowed representation by the number of slaves they had. 3/5 clause prevented that from happening.

Yes they would have. Imagine if the democrats were allowed representation by the number of slaves they had. 3/5 clause prevented that from happening.

Seriously? Who was representing the Democrats at the Constitutional Convention?

There were no Democrats, it was the coalition of slave holding states.

Nice try, slippery revisionism.

Seriously? Who was representing the Democrats at the Constitutional Convention?

There were no Democrats, it was the coalition of slave holding states.

Nice try, slippery revisionism.
It was democrats trying to continue slavery

Who was representing the Democrats at the Constitutional Convention?
There wasn't a Republic during the constitutional convention.
It was democrats wanting to continue slavery Jeffersons democrats defended the institution of slavery.

BLM is worse than the republicans. The democrats are worse than BLM.

Thanks for your time.

Forum List

Back