🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

what determines whether a person goes to heaven or not?

How is it that what you believe is the Holy Spirit has not done even one single thing that Jesus said that God would send the Spirit of truth to do when he came if he came at Pentecost?

As far as I know Jews have not and will never be convinced by a 'spirit' that they were wrong to refuse to believe in Jesus or that Jesus was right about anything especially since seeking the guidance of spirits is a violation of divine law.

How do you resolve this?

I've met some Orthodox Jews and they won't allow me to use anything other than the first five books of the Bible to show them even though they believe the rest of the Old Testament are scriptures.

How do I resolve your question?

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

They've been blinded until a certain time. The word "blindness" also has a hint of stubbornness:

Exodus 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people:

Exodus 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

They didn't want to speak to God. It is that kind of thing which keeps people from knowing God.

They actually provoked God in the wilderness and the first generation except Joshua and Caleb didn't enter into Israel but their children did. They went through two captivities and the Holocaust so they are stiffnecked until it is their time again.

Romans 9, 10 and 11 explain the past, present and future of Israel in the Kingdom of God as a starting point.

Thank you, but what you posted is an attempt to explain why they didn't believe in Jesus. It does not resolve why they have not yet been convinced that Jesus was right for the past 2000 years and counting if the Holy Spirit supposedly has already come..

Jesus came and accomplished what God sent him to do in only a few short years.

You have resolved nothing.

Your ignorance of the Holy Spirit doesn't mean He doesn't exist. And considering the way you mock God, I'm not surprised you're ignorant of Him.

I have a few questions about what you call the Holy Spirit.

Do you believe the Holy Spirit to be an invisible disembodied spirit sent by God to help believers understand mysteries by entering into peoples heads in some way and guiding their thoughts to the truth, who made his first appearance at Pentecost?

If so my question is, if what you believe to be the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth that Jesus said would be sent by God in his name to do certain specific things outlined in John 16:8-15;

"When he comes he will confute the world, and show where wrong and right and judgment lie. He will convict them of wrong, by their refusal to believe in me; he will convince them that right is on my side, by showing that I go to the Father when I pass from your sight; and he will convince them of divine judgment, by showing that the prince of this world stands condemned."

"However when he comes who is the Spirit of truth, he will guide you into all the truth; for he shall not speak on his own authority, but will tell you only what he hears; and he will make known to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, for everything he makes known to you he will draw from what is mine. All that the Father has is mine, and that is why I said, "Everything he makes known to you he will draw from what is mine."

How is it that what you believe is the Holy Spirit has not done even one single thing that Jesus said that God would send the Spirit of truth to do when he came if he came at Pentecost?

As far as I know Jews have not and will never be convinced by a 'spirit' that they were wrong to refuse to believe in Jesus or that Jesus was right about anything especially since seeking the guidance of spirits is a violation of divine law.

How do you resolve this?

Nothing to resolve. Christ told His disciples that the Holy Spirit would come and do that and He does do that with His disciples. Even now, He continually calls people to follow the Good Shepheard and teaches us the Truth of all things.

If you would like to re-examine the story of Pentecost recorded in acts, I will show you what actually happened.

How do you resolve this?

I've met some Orthodox Jews and they won't allow me to use anything other than the first five books of the Bible to show them even though they believe the rest of the Old Testament are scriptures.

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

They've been blinded until a certain time. The word "blindness" also has a hint of stubbornness:

Exodus 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people:

Exodus 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

They didn't want to speak to God. It is that kind of thing which keeps people from knowing God.

They actually provoked God in the wilderness and the first generation except Joshua and Caleb didn't enter into Israel but their children did. They went through two captivities and the Holocaust so they are stiffnecked until it is their time again.

Romans 9, 10 and 11 explain the past, present and future of Israel in the Kingdom of God as a starting point.

That's because you could easily show them with the book of Daniel, but they don't want that book to be pointed out to them.
Especially when you do the math, as to when their messiah was to come to them. It points exactly to Jesus.
Daniel explains exactly what was & is to happen to them.
The Orthodox leaders do want their people to know this.

If a roman or greek god rose from the dead then people who saw it most likely would believe in it.

The reason people believe in Jesus is because there were eyewitnesses of his miracles, or his resurrection, other historical evidence and other reasons because that would be the only way to get man to believe.
nonsence
noboby who was there at the time wrote anything
people have seen
santa claus
the loch ness monster
space ships
aliens
and so on and so on

Fourth, to place belief in Santa Claus or mermaids and belief in God on the same level is mistaken. The issue is not that we have no good evidence for these mythical entities; rather, we have strong evidence that they do not exist. Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence, which some atheists fail to see.

The atheist also shares the burden of proof that God doesn't exist.

The Presumptuousness of Atheism
The Presumptuousness of Atheism | CRI
no we dont you cant prove a negative thats not there

the statement by believers is GOD EXISTS

answer by atheists you made a statement of fact .PROVE IT
y

Last edited:
nonsence
noboby who was there at the time wrote anything
people have seen
santa claus
the loch ness monster
space ships
aliens
and so on and so on

Fourth, to place belief in Santa Claus or mermaids and belief in God on the same level is mistaken. The issue is not that we have no good evidence for these mythical entities; rather, we have strong evidence that they do not exist. Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence, which some atheists fail to see.

The atheist also shares the burden of proof that God doesn't exist.

The Presumptuousness of Atheism
The Presumptuousness of Atheism | CRI

answer by theists you made a statement of fact .PROVE IT
y

Everything in the universe denotes that there is a God. But if you want a personal witness, you need to go to Him in humility and sincere prayer.

Why do you bible thumpers always think that someone who doesn't agree with you is ignorant of the scriptures? It's always: and if you just learn... Well maybe I have learned about it and STILL think it's bs. If there's such a thing as god and he wants to reach out to me, I'm pretty sure he knows where I am (or should, lol), and I shouldn't have to read it in some books of fairy tales.

Because you've admitted you are ignorant of them when you were talking about the clear teachings of the scriptures being gibberish. The only reason you wouldn't understand them is if you haven't studied them.

God is reaching out to you. You need to listen sometime and reach back. He isn't going to force you to listen to Him. He doesn't compel people to come to Him. He invites, entices, and exhorts you to come to Him of your own free will.

If you don't want people to think you are ignorant of the scriptures, don't brag about being ignorant of them.

You must have misread, I know all about the scriptures and I STILL think that it's crapola. If god was really reaching out to me, he would. And he isn't.

It's amazing that no one here can answer the op's question of what does it take to get into Heaven. People that claim faith alone is enough to get in is a cop-out, since anyone can say they believe; but without walking the talk in their daily lives, how is that justified?
Oh, you miserable sinner, how could any action taken by ourselves justify such filth as human beings before the Lord?

Only His Infinite Grace, freely given, can redeem our iniquity! -- or, at least, so taught nutzy Martin Luther, who threw his inkwell at the Devil up on the Wartburg !!

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags...."
---Isaiah 64:6

"The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as anyone holds a spider, or some loathsome insect, over the fire, abhors you and is dreadfully provoked; His Wrath towards you burns like fire."
---Jonathan Edwards

How do you resolve this?

Thank you, but what you posted is an attempt to explain why they didn't believe in Jesus. It does not resolve why they have not yet been convinced that Jesus was right for the past 2000 years and counting if the Holy Spirit supposedly has already come..

There are Messianic Jews that believe in Jesus.

The verse is misunderstood.
The Holy Spirit isn't done working.
Satan has blinded the minds so that people won't believe.
God has a remnant to be saved in Israel.
People are still allowed to choose whether they wish to believe or not.
Not all Israel is Israel.

Do all of them sound like easy topics to explain in one message board post without taking the topic off track? Do I look like I have a lot of time? Do I get paid for this? No.

JohnA

y

Everything in the universe denotes that there is a God. But if you want a personal witness, you need to go to Him in humility and sincere prayer.

"Everything in the universe denotes that there is a God" -

no, that is not correct, it is the contrast between Earth and (our) lifeless Solar System that is the "Proof" of a certain existence and providence that is greater than the empty space of its surroundings.

The Existence of Earth is a Providence of itself and explanatory for the existence of a Deity.

* at least more so than Santa Clause and the 7 Dwarfs.

Do all of them sound like easy topics to explain in one message board post without taking the topic off track? Do I look like I have a lot of time? Do I get paid for this? No.

The they that Jesus referred to who would be convinced by the spirit of truth when he came was obviously the dominant ruling authority of Judaism, the Pharisees in particular, the generation of error who teaches a literal interpretation and application of Mosaic law that persists to this day.

Some Jews believed in Jesus at the time too and many persons of any consequence in Judaism know that Jews who accept the modern Christian perversions of Jesus are nuts.

Obviously people who jump and gibber for Jesus who profess to worship and believe in him as a triune entity and disregard the divine commands are full of something but it isn't holy and it isn't the truth.

Since the described purpose of the Spirit of truth when he came is to convince the Religious establishment that rejected Jesus that he was right it is impossible that whatever you imagine the holy spirit to be had come 2000 years ago at Pentecost.

If he did, it would not still be a requirement to reject Jesus to qualify as a real Jew.

Last edited:

The they that Jesus referred to who would be convinced by the spirit of truth when he came was obviously the dominant ruling authority of Judaism, the Pharisees in particular, the generation of error who teaches a literal interpretation and application of Mosaic law that persists to this day.

Some Jews believed in Jesus at the time too and many persons of any consequence in Judaism know that Jews who accept the modern Christian perversions of Jesus are nuts.

Obviously people who jump and gibber for Jesus who profess to worship and believe in him as a triune entity and disregard the divine commands are full of something but it isn't holy and it isn't the truth.

Since the described purpose of the Spirit of truth when he came is to convince the Religious establishment that rejected Jesus that he was right it is impossible that whatever you imagine the holy spirit to be had come 2000 years ago at Pentecost.

If he did, it would not still be a requirement to reject Jesus to qualify as a real Jew.

I consulted about 20 translations and only the Douay-Rheims Bible uses the word "Convince" and the NIV and Net Bible use the word "Prove" but the NIV isn't a literal translation (word for word). At least 11 of the translations use the word "Convict" and four use the word "Reprove". The Aramaic Bible in Plain English use the word "Correct". There are two definitions for the word and they fall under "1" and "2". The majority use the #1 definition.

Here is an extra translation by an NASB translator:

"But if I depart, I will send Him to you. And having come, that One will convict the world with respect to sin, and with respect to righteousness, and with respect to judgment; with respect to sin on the one hand, because they are not believing on me; with respect to righteousness on the other hand, because to the Father I am going away and no longer are you seeing me; and with the respect to judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged and is now under judgment."- The New Testament, An Expanded Translation

The KJ I use says this:

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

And if I am wrong, so what. People reject the truth all of the time because the heart makes a convert of the mind. People see evil all the time and don't do anything because they know there are consequences even though they are convicted.

People don't come to Christ because they feel their friends won't accept them if they do. I've actually heard people say they know that God exists but they would rather would be in hell because that is where all of their friends are going to be. They are convicted of the truth but they choose wrongly.

I consulted about 20 translations and only the Douay-Rheims Bible uses the word "Convince" and the NIV and Net Bible use the word "Prove" but the NIV isn't a literal translation (word for word). At least 11 of the translations use the word "Convict" and four use the word "Reprove". The Aramaic Bible in Plain English use the word "Correct". There are two definitions for the word and they fall under "1" and "2". The majority use the #1 definition.

Here is an extra translation by an NASB translator:

"But if I depart, I will send Him to you. And having come, that One will convict the world with respect to sin, and with respect to righteousness, and with respect to judgment; with respect to sin on the one hand, because they are not believing on me; with respect to righteousness on the other hand, because to the Father I am going away and no longer are you seeing me; and with the respect to judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged and is now under judgment."- The New Testament, An Expanded Translation

The KJ I use says this:

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

And if I am wrong, so what. People reject the truth all of the time because the heart makes a convert of the mind. People see evil all the time and don't do anything because they know there are consequences even though they are convicted.

People don't come to Christ because they feel their friends won't accept them if they do. I've actually heard people say they know that God exists but they would rather would be in hell because that is where all of their friends are going to be. They are convicted of the truth but they choose wrongly.

No, the people that I know that don't come to what you define as a triune mangod, a fake Jesus, do so because they value mental health, truth and life. Some even do so for love of God.

I suppose you are the one who worries about being accepted by their friends.

Did you ever consider that everyone who ever chose to reject the promise of eternal pleasures and refused to worship a god man man made cracker made by human hands chose correctly, even under threat of torture and death?

You should worry about being accepted by God.

Last edited:
Did you ever consider that everyone who ever chose to reject the promise of eternal pleasures and refused to worship a god man man made cracker made by human hands chose correctly, even under threat of torture and death?

That is funny because my Western Civilization professor said that in the middle ages, most left their faith on the shore when they left and went out to sea.

JohnA

y

no, that is not correct, it is the contrast between Earth and (our) lifeless Solar System that is the "Proof" of a certain existence and providence that is greater than the empty space of its surroundings.

The Existence of Earth is a Providence of itself and explanatory for the existence of a Deity.

disagree again * assume* the existance of earth is prove of a deity .
then we go to the next group of question
WHICH DEITY?
no prove of the christian god .
is the deity still here ?/ does he /she /care ?
there again it could just as easily be zeus /neptune or any other historical/fictious gods
and a further note AS OF NOW WE HAVE NO PROVE OF A LIFELESS SOLAR SYSTEM
and even more the *assumption * its self does not in any way PROVE there is heaven & hell which was the subject of this thread .
back to square one

Last edited:

That is funny because my Western Civilization professor said that in the middle ages, most left their faith on the shore when they left and went out to sea.

Escaping a from a trap is no guarantee that you will not fall into the pit.

The solar system has not been proven to be lifeless.
The space around it isn't empty.
The existence of earth is only proof of the existence of earth. The deity will have to have it's own REAL proof.
Please try again.

The existence of earth is only proof of the existence of earth. The deity will have to have it's own REAL proof.
Please try again.

is there a Sea between Earth and the Moon or Atmosphere conducive to life - no.

not the existence of Earth but the Garden of Earth is the proof of a Deity - of one sort or another, that may be represented by J/C Scriptural writings and the Mythicals but it is the writings that are fallacious not the God.

Please try again.
is there a Sea between Earth and the Moon or Atmosphere conducive to life - no.

not the existence of Earth but the Garden of Earth is the proof of a Deity - of one sort or another, that may be represented by J/C Scriptural writings and the Mythicals but it is the writings that are fallacious not the God.

So you cherry pick one small region of space with no life to say the solar system is lifeless? (which is what you said). And because of that, that proves a deity? Sorry, there's really no connection.

What's the dif between earth and the garden of earth? Are you high? (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, lol)

The fact that most religions claim that theirs is the only way to heaven tells me they're all wrong.

You realize that your conclusion is completely illogical, don't you?

Just the opposite. You are betting your "eternal soul" on having picked the "right one". PJ is smart enough to know that is foolish. The smart move is to bet on the house instead which is the life you have here and now. Enjoy it and always be honest and true to yourself. Everything else comes naturally after you make that your core principle in life.

Faith in Christ got the thief on the cross to Heaven. King David murdered a man so he could commit adultery with the man's wife. David hated what he had done so much that he said his sin was always right there in front of his face. Hating his own sin is what got David to Heaven.

What determines whether a person goes to Heaven or not is a repentant heart.
Re-pent = return to the highest level. (Where we belong) And God keeps His word even if we don't. If you sincerely want forgiveness, you'll turn away from your sin. And He's going to give it to you, regardless of what you've done. He loves you that much. His Grace is sufficient.

We all sin and fall short of getting to Heaven on our own initiative. But, you can't out sin God's love for you. And Christ doesn't care about your past. He is trying to secure your future.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back