What do liberals want the US to be?

OK...let's look at where the playing field is not level
We have a wealthy class who get a disproportional say in how legislation is crafted and who it helps. Specific legislation includes tax structure, deductions, labor laws
Affirmative action was an immensely successful liberal program that helped all people. Yes, it did level the playing field

Did it help the people who got passed over due to adding points to the people who got in due to it?

It helped those who were never given an opportunity to fill management or Complex jobs. In a society where blacks were only allowed menial jobs and women were only allowed subservient jobs, affirmative action was necessary
Affirmative action worked
Why should one race be given special consideration to fill an opportunity over another even though they're LESS QUALIFIED?

Are you saying blacks are too STUPID to compete on a level playing field?

How in the FUCK did obama ever become president?
Good question

Let's look at the society that existed in the 60s
White males possessed all the leadership positions and skilled positions. They claimed it was because they were best qualified. Blacks were best suited for menial labor and women could be secretaries and nurses.
In deciding who was best qualified for a managerial position, white male executives universally decided that white males were best suited for managerial positions. After all, they had never seen a woman or a black in that position
Affirmative action gave women and minorities a chance to fill skilled positions and they proved they were able to handle it
Thank affirmative action if your wife or daughter is able to get a position that is not teacher, secretary, nurse or cashier

I notice you have still not answered my question.

Well?
The answer is you have to look at the whole picture and not individual pieces. Yes, white males no longer had exclusive access to skilled jobs and management positions. If you consider that discrimination then that is your right

Conservatives fought against and ridiculed affirmative action since its inception. They celebrated each time affirmative action seemed to fail

Yet today, women and minorities have opportunities open to them that were unimaginable 50 years ago

this is a serious question, please only reply with serious comments.

what specifically do liberals want the US to become?
Tell us exactly what you want changed, and why.

From a political perspective, I want America to be a nation wherein people like you are perpetually unhappy.

It would help if people could learn at least enough of the basics of political science to realize liberalism is an ideology with certain tenets rather than just describing a person. This Manichaean insistence that people are divided into just two political groups is part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

People can call themselves "liberal" all they want, but unless they are operating from the standpoint of advancing liberal values, they are just left wing fundamentalists.

The shortest answer I can give here , though, is that liberalism places greater value on social justice than social order. The "conserve" in conservatism refers to the preservation of social order over social justice.
Ronald Reagan

demonized everyone to his left as a liberal regardless of their ideological stands, or party affiliation

"what specifically do liberals want the US to become?" More American with more liberties

"Tell us exactly what you want changed, and why." -- who is this 'us' you speak of?

I want the United States to be the most desirable and advantagious place to live in the world.

I want the United States to encourage innovation and growth.

I would like the United States to be the most 'just' country in the world, and the least bigoted.

I want the United States to be a place where Americans can get an affordable education, and find jobs or create jobs.

I want the United States to have the cleanest air and water in the Western world.

What would I like changed?

We are on the right course for many things, but if I were to identify specific changes that I think would help the United States:
a) A comprehensive immigration bill that created a secure southern border, provided the labor we need for certain industries, while preventing illegal labor in better paying jobs that cannot be outsourced(such as construction).
b) An end to the wasteful drug war that costs us billions, and enriches criminals.
c) I would like to see the two political parties able to work together as they did prior to the 1990's.
d) IF I could change the Citizen's United ruling I would- corporations and unions are not people.
e) I would reform the Education system- eliminate tenure, encourage competition, while still protecting the right to a free public education- there is no reason why we cannot have a better public education system.

I am sure that there are other things that I am just not thinking of right now

Seriously?

Liberals want a country that provides a level playing field for all people regardless of race, sex, sexuality or social class
Liberals want to help those who need helping

So do Conservatives.
Conservatives want to do those things a different way other than the Federal Government - like the States should run the welfare programs and they should be run to help them out of poverty. Not run the way it is set up now that keeps them in poverty.

Seriously?

Liberals want a country that provides a level playing field for all people regardless of race, sex, sexuality or social class

So do Conservatives.
Conservatives want to do those things a different way other than the Federal Government - like the States should run the welfare programs and they should be run to help them out of poverty. Not run the way it is set up now that keeps them in poverty.
States have historically left 'people' out in the cold. The federal government has stepped in because of the neglect of states

From a political perspective, I want America to be a nation wherein people like you are perpetually unhappy.

Ultimately we will destroy liberals, live with that.

Really? What liberal progress over the last 100 years will be reversed?

Be specific. List the reversals you predict, and explain in detail with facts and evidence how they will be reversed.

I want the United States to be the most desirable and advantagious place to live in the world.

I want the United States to encourage innovation and growth.

I would like the United States to be the most 'just' country in the world, and the least bigoted.

I want the United States to be a place where Americans can get an affordable education, and find jobs or create jobs.

I want the United States to have the cleanest air and water in the Western world.

What would I like changed?

We are on the right course for many things, but if I were to identify specific changes that I think would help the United States:
a) A comprehensive immigration bill that created a secure southern border, provided the labor we need for certain industries, while preventing illegal labor in better paying jobs that cannot be outsourced(such as construction).
b) An end to the wasteful drug war that costs us billions, and enriches criminals.
c) I would like to see the two political parties able to work together as they did prior to the 1990's.
d) IF I could change the Citizen's United ruling I would- corporations and unions are not people.
e) I would reform the Education system- eliminate tenure, encourage competition, while still protecting the right to a free public education- there is no reason why we cannot have a better public education system.

I am sure that there are other things that I am just not thinking of right now

Sounds more like a party platform than an ideological answer. I wonder, are you answering as a liberal, a progressive, a Democrat, what?

Seriously?

So do Conservatives.
Most welfare programs are run at state and local levels
Welfare programs also include education, jobs training and jobs placement

Ultimately we will destroy liberals, live with that.
Hasn't worked in over 200 years
LOL

treu dat!

Seriously?

So do Conservatives.
States have historically left 'people' out in the cold. The federal government has stepped in because of the neglect of states

That was the propaganda sold to the people in order the get the programs and for the Government to run them.
And now has become riddled with fraud, corruption and abuse.
The State are able to control that better.
American Poverty Pre-Welfare State Intellectual Takeout ITO

America’s first settlers and Founders were certainly not oblivious to the problems of poverty, nor were they callous in their treatment of it. Yet they explicitly urged its alleviation by means other than the federal government. This ideology was concisely expressed by James Madison, who declared that "Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." And Ben Franklin once stated, "the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Giving the poor a hand up rather than a hand out continued beyond the Founding era through a variety of private organizations and charities known as mutual aid societies. After visiting America in the early 19th century, Alexis de Tocqueville made note of this phenomenon when he wrote, "Americans of all ages, all conditions, and all dispositions, constantly form associations. ... Wherever, at the head of some new undertaking, you see the government in France, or a man of rank in England, in the United States you will be sure to find an association."
America’s first settlers and Founders were certainly not oblivious to the problems of poverty, nor were they callous in their treatment of it. Yet they explicitly urged its alleviation by means other than the federal government. This ideology was concisely expressed by James Madison, who declared that "Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." And Ben Franklin once stated, "the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."

In 1964 President Lyndon Johnson's Great Society officially ushered in the modern welfare state with his declared war on poverty. Although this move did not eliminate private charity, it gradually created a national mentality that government should be counted on to provide for the poor, elderly, and disabled. As a result, dependence and spending on government relief has skyrocketed in recent decades.
Today, with America's national debt increasing at a rapid rate, many wonder how the government can continue to maintain the many welfare programs it has established. Others outright question whether or not the government's approach to welfare is effective and efficient at alleviating poverty at all.

No one since the beginning of this country has died in large numbers of poverty and starvation like many other big government controlled countries have had.

Since ALL I've read from you cons is total bullshit, let me help you

We want to go back to before right wing think tanks grabbed the GOPers (and ConservaDems) and created stupid and uniformed voters. This was done , largely through the Reagan 'revolution' . Where you had someone who clearly lied and was uniformed, but was able to pull it off by his 'aw shucks' persona and the media treating him with kid gloves after his assassination attempt.

Today we have the Tea party morons being led by anti Gov't extremists like Koch's and Norquist, 'believing' that the US Founders actually wanted 'smaller Gov't' or states right bullshit. The most liberal, educated people in the US at the time, the Founders, are pushed off as conservatives? lol

How about enforcing laws like the ones Reagan started on war on the middle class, which favored Biz over people? You know like Teddy did with his anti monopoly and ant trust fights? Instead the GOPers and conservatives have bought into the MYTH of a 'free market' and bigger is better and helps consumers? corporatism that has followed has benefited the 1% but NO one else.

We can start with Sherman's anti trust act?

Have the GOP stop fighting for the 1%, who have almost all gains in the US the past 33+ years, yet have seen their tax burden cut by more than 40%, and instead recognize Gov't should work for all?

Recognize there is such a thing as 'white privilege'?

Recognize the US was doing pretty well under Clinton/Dem policy until Dubya/GOP decided a different course was in order and gutted revenues by 25%+ WHILE GREATLY expanding spending? And putting US into 2 UNFUNDED wars?

Just a start...

Seriously?

So do Conservatives.
Most welfare programs are run at state and local levels
Welfare programs also include education, jobs training and jobs placement

No they aren't.
The Feds control the money and the amount and the rules in how it's done.
The States have the different agencies that run them but the control comes from the Feds.

Forum List

Back