🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Happened to Church?

"What Happened to Church?" You and smug, presumptuous folks like you killed it. Best church experience I ever had was in a Mennonite church. Lots of laughter, smiles, singing and great food.

Eh. No church is perfect, I can tell you that. But generally Americans have a romanticized view of Amish and Mennonites. In reality, they can be quite legalistic. The Mennonites less so, but the Amish very much so. I mean these are people who "shun" their own family if they don't live up to their legalistic lifestyle, such things as wearing the right clothing. For compare and contrast, I am an evangelical Christian who is opposed to gay marriage and yet have come nowhere NEAR to "shunning" the gay members of both sides of my family, me and my husband's.

But people are easily swayed. Make some nice furniture, cook some nice pies, wear a cap on your head I guess, there it is.

Humans like rules, oddly enough. I've always believed that there are Ten Commandments because people want rules to follow and parse and play legalistic games with. Jesus said that the most important Commandments were to love the Lord your God and to love your neighbor as yourself, because if you are truly doing both those things, all the other stuff will follow naturally without you having to be told. But actually BEING a good person and loving God and others is difficult, where following nitpicky rules without ever having to improve yourself as a person is much easier.
So, do you love your Messikin neighbours?

Why wouldn't I? I've lived surrounded by Mexicans my entire life. My favorite niece-in-law is Mexican. They're just people, same as everyone else.

Don't you just love how the haters try desperately to find something they think defines Christians and then demand to see how you're doing it?

Don't you just love how the haters try desperately to find something they think defines Christians and then demand to see how you're doing it?
Interestingly enough, you can find christians doing this to each other every single day, right here on this message board.

"What Happened to Church?" You and smug, presumptuous folks like you killed it. Best church experience I ever had was in a Mennonite church. Lots of laughter, smiles, singing and great food.
What did you drop in the collection plate?

Yep and with that I'm done. I did try though.

And that's why I don't try to argue people into believing. If God and Christianity could be proven by debate, it would defeat the entire purpose.
God can’t be proven at all.

Actually, He can, and is daily in the lives of those who know Him.
You've convinced yourself, the ultimate step of wishful thinking.

Eh. No church is perfect, I can tell you that. But generally Americans have a romanticized view of Amish and Mennonites. In reality, they can be quite legalistic. The Mennonites less so, but the Amish very much so. I mean these are people who "shun" their own family if they don't live up to their legalistic lifestyle, such things as wearing the right clothing. For compare and contrast, I am an evangelical Christian who is opposed to gay marriage and yet have come nowhere NEAR to "shunning" the gay members of both sides of my family, me and my husband's.

But people are easily swayed. Make some nice furniture, cook some nice pies, wear a cap on your head I guess, there it is.

Humans like rules, oddly enough. I've always believed that there are Ten Commandments because people want rules to follow and parse and play legalistic games with. Jesus said that the most important Commandments were to love the Lord your God and to love your neighbor as yourself, because if you are truly doing both those things, all the other stuff will follow naturally without you having to be told. But actually BEING a good person and loving God and others is difficult, where following nitpicky rules without ever having to improve yourself as a person is much easier.

Why wouldn't I? I've lived surrounded by Mexicans my entire life. My favorite niece-in-law is Mexican. They're just people, same as everyone else.

I bet YOU hate Messikins.

Sure, but maybe they were just losing their sanity. Who can say?
I can!

40 days in the desert would have killed them. So, the story is fake.

No?

Sure, the story would be fake if that was what the story was about.

But, if the story about Jesus living the wilderness was figurative for jesus living in roman settlements outside of the reach of Jewish law, and the wild beasts was simply referring to the Romans,,, No. Not fake.

If he was living among the wild beasts one can assume that Jesus was doing what Romans do...Yes?

Makes sense. Conforms to reality, and resolves many mysteries.

All the pieces fit perfectly.

I look at it this way. If, on my wedding day, I approached my bride and said, "Darling, I'm going to be with you the rest of our lives. Please write down for me 10 rules that, if I kept, would make you happy. I'll spend the rest of my life reinterpreting the rules, finding loopholes and simply ignoring them whenever I think I can get away with it. But I expect you to accept me enthusiastically as your husband".

How long do you think the marriage would last happily? Now, contrast that with this. As I court my bride, I watch her, I listen to her, I take careful nite of what she likes and what she doesn't like, and I make sure to do things that please her. She doesn't have to complain about the toilet seat because I take care of her. She didn't have to complain about a wandering eye because it's all for her. Would that work any better? The commandments atheists love to hung up on are just that,a set of rules man has tried to get around since the day they were given. Jesus brought something better, more powerful. He brought a relationship. If I was to please God, I watch what He does, I listen to what He says, and I do what please Him. I don't need a set of rules.
The marriage could last a long time, depending on which 'tard farm you get your bride from. You probably went to the 'tard and clueless farm.

So you have Stockholm Syndrome. Got it.

I can!

No?

But, if the story about Jesus living the wilderness was figurative for jesus living in roman settlements outside of the reach of Jewish law, and the wild beasts was simply referring to the Romans,,, No. Not fake.

If he was living among the wild beasts one can assume that Jesus was doing what Romans do...Yes?

Got it. Not fake, as long as one believes it is all fake, and is just metaphor and allegory. Kinda makes the brain hurt.

I can!

No?

Do you think that Jesus liked to get laid?

I can!

No?

lol.... when the Pharisees were astonished that some people believed that Jesus was the messiah, they said... "Waaa? We know this man is a sinner! He keeps company with prostitutes!"

What do you think Jesus was doing?

Playing canasta?

I can!

No?

lol.... when the Pharisees were astonished that some people believed that Jesus was the messiah, they said... "Waaa? We know this man is a sinner! He keeps company with prostitutes!"

Playing canasta?
They were his fag hags. He only banged a woman once, and once means he didn't like it.

I can!

No?

Playing canasta?
They were his fag hags. He only banged a woman once, and once means he didn't like it.

lol..

Is that what happened to you?

I can!

No?

Playing canasta?

lol..

Why the resistance? You have no problem accepting that jesus lay with prostitutes....but jesus being gay triggers you? What am i missing, here?

I can!

No?

Playing canasta?

lol..

I have nothing against gays, unlike you. Your bible wants you to hate them. So hate Jesus while you're at it.

I attended church. If there was not a tithe envope with my parents' name on it, or if the pastor felt it was too light, he would call my parents and ask why. So maybe you shouldn't generalize from your own meager personal experience.

Forget insurance companies, your parents picked the wrong church / pastor.
Maybe so... But there is a reason that the envelopes have names on them, and it ain't to tally "heaven points"....

Playing canasta?

lol..

Why the resistance? You have no problem accepting that jesus lay with prostitutes....but jesus being gay triggers you? What am i missing, here?

Taz denying the evidence of the story themselves that Jesus ran around with women is an indication of Taz having issues with being gay, not me who has only pointed out what seems obvious to me that he is talking more about himself than anything in the actual story.

Did you never read it?

Taz denying the evidence of the story themselves that Jesus ran around with women
That's not accurate. He did not deny the evidence that jesus was in the company of women, or even prostitutes. He denied that as evidence that jesus was not gay.

Taz denying the evidence of the story themselves that Jesus ran around with women
That's not accurate. He did not deny the evidence that jesus was in the company of women, or even prostitutes. He denied that as evidence that jesus was not gay.

If thats not acceptable evidence where is any evidence to the contrary?
Of course it isnt acceptable evidence. Plenty of gay men have plenty of female friends, prostitutes too, im sure.

By your own specious reasoning, Jesus keeping the company of many men is evidence that he is gay. So I think you need to refine your arguments.

Forum List

Back