Zone1 What Is Baptism Of The Spirit?

All who enter the kingdom of God will be baptized as Jesus was baptized, whether by entering the water themselves or by being baptized by proxy through the ordinance of baptism for the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:29
29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
That is one of the most misinterpreted Scriptures in the Bible. I don't believe it's promoting proxy baptism, but is affirming resurrection by saying even those who baptize by proxy believe in the resurrection.

It doesn't matter. All it takes is repentance and calling out to Jesus to be saved like the thief on the cross did.
Note that one thief defended Jesus before he asked to be remembered. He also admitted his own sins.

Now, I am not saying you are wrong, merely that it is most likely a case-by-case situation. They will be judged by what is in their hearts. And, God is merciful.

That is one of the most misinterpreted Scriptures in the Bible. I don't believe it's promoting proxy baptism, but is affirming resurrection by saying even those who baptize by proxy believe in the resurrection.
Why would Paul use a practice that was not true to bolster his argument for baptism? Makes no sense. No, the saints of those days were practicing it and thus Paul used it to bolster his argument for the resurrection.

Last edited:
No, the verse says, "and there HE tarried with them, and baptized".
And Chapter 4 points out that when the Pharisees heard about this, that he was baptizing more than John, the notation remains that Jesus didn't do any of the baptizing, only his disciples. Worth pointing out simply because people see many things differently.

Yes...and it apparently was only practiced by one group. Paul did not address what he thought of the practice, and, as you pointed out, used it to affirm the truth about resurrection.

And Chapter 4 points out that when the Pharisees heard about this, that he was baptizing more than John, the notation remains that Jesus didn't do any of the baptizing, only his disciples. Worth pointing out simply because people see many things differently.
No where does it state that Jesus never baptized others.

No, the verse says, "and there HE tarried with them, and baptized".
I know what it said in Chapter 3. I am merely pointing out the qualifier in Chapter 4. When the Pharisees heard about these baptisms, that there were more than John's, it was qualified that Jesus did not do any of the baptisms, only his apostles. People will see the two verses in different ways. Both verses are now presented.

Can you show me the Scripture that says when I'm under the water I come into contact with the blood of Jesus.
Gladly.........AGAIN? One must apply logic and reason, Col. 2:11-14 states with no ambiguity that when you are buried in Baptism you come into contact with the Christ in His death, wherefore while in the water Christ cleanses us from our sins. There is only one thing that can save/cleanse us, THE BLOOD OF CHRIST (Hebrews 9:13-14)

How many angels do you figure can dance on the head of pin? You keep repeating the same subjective question attempting to dismiss the scriptures that have answered you......Ad nausem. But you are still to present a single passage of N.T. scripture where anyone is saved void of water baptism. That should tell you something.

Last edited:
Why would Paul use a practice that was not true to bolster his argument for baptism? Makes no sense. No, the saints of those days were practicing it and thus Paul used it to bolster his argument for the resurrection.
Yes, some were doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a church doctrine. It's not wise to take a vague scripture and make a doctrine out of it.

Isn't that what repentance is though?
Yes, the man was repentant and taught the gospel among the dead and likely received it. Jesus never ascended to heaven between his death and resurrection. Jesus told Mary upon his resurrection that he had not yet ascended to his Father in Heaven. Those who accept the gospel who are dead live in a paradise, but those who do not live in spirit prison.

Baptism by immersion in water was so essential that Christ, who did no sin, was baptized to show us the way. He thus taught that a man must born of water and the spirit to enter the kingdom of God. Ignore it at your your own peril but it is essential to receive baptism for the remission of sins.

Jesus promised the man on the cross the following:

Luke 23:43
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The key word in this verse is "paradise". Paradise is not the same as "heaven". On the very day that Jesus died, he did not ascend to heaven. We know this because on the third day after Jesus had resurrected, he told Mary the following:

John 20:16-17
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Here we learn that after Jesus resurrected and appeared before Mary on the 3rd day that he had not yet ascended to heaven where his Father was. The thief on the cross could not have been with Jesus in heaven. So the question is, where was Jesus on the day he died when he promised the man on the cross that today you will be with me in paradise? Between the time Jesus died and the time he was resurrected, Jesus went and preach to the spirits of those that have died.

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Jesus went among those who have died who were spirits and set up an organization for them to hear the gospel. Those in the spirit world who have received the gospel are in paradise and those who have not are in spirit prison. The thief on the cross who was to be with Jesus in paradise on that very day was with Jesus among the spirits of the dead who accepted the gospel.

Thus paradise is that place in the world of spirits where those who have received the gospel await the day of resurrection and judgement.

Chapter 4 points out Jesus was not baptizing, only his disciples.
So what?

Gladly.........AGAIN? One must apply logic and reason, Col. 2:11-14 states with no ambiguity that when you are buried in Baptism you come into contact with the Christ, wherefore while in the water Christ cleanses us from our sins. There is only one thing that can save/cleanse us, THE BLOOD OF CHRIST (Hebrews 9:13-14)
Nothing there about the blood coming in contact while under the water.

Yes, the man was repentant and taught the gospel among the dead and likely received it.

What in the world are you drinking tonight? There was NOTHING like that in the Bible and you barely stayed on topic.

Isn't that what repentance is though?
Repentance is turning away from one behavior, changing to another. It is usually more than just a "Sorry..."

I wouldn't want anyone to think, "Too late for me..." but on the other hand kind of a heads up not to make it last minute. I keep in mind the parable of the ten virgins, those who put off buying oil until it was too late.

The other part I often think of is say that two people were in an accident where one was immediately killed before I was able to say a thing, and the other was able to whisper, "I'm sorry, I repent." After one passes on, is there still an opportunity to recant? Jesus merely points out there is a time when it is too late.

I know what it said in Chapter 3. I am merely pointing out the qualifier in Chapter 4. When the Pharisees heard about these baptisms, that there were more than John's, it was qualified that Jesus did not do any of the baptisms, only his apostles. People will see the two verses in different ways. Both verses are now presented.
Regardless of whether Jesus actually entered the water and performed the ordinance or not, do you think that his disciples were doing something that he disapproved of? NO! He taught his disciples the correct method of baptism. He approved of what his disciples were doing and yes, thanks for the correction, but it still holds that he went around with his disciples as they performed the baptisms by immersion for the remission of sins without objection. In fact it was done so often that they outnumbered the baptisms of John himself. Why then would Jesus go around baptizing if it wasn't an essential ordinance for entering the kingdom of God? Why not simply teach repentance only?

Baptism by immersion in water was so essential that Christ, who did no sin, was baptized to show us the way. He thus taught that a man must born of water and the spirit to enter the kingdom of God. Ignore it at your your own peril but it is essential to receive baptism for the remission of sins.

Jesus promised the man on the cross the following:

Luke 23:43
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The key word in this verse is "paradise". Paradise is not the same as "heaven". On the very day that Jesus died, he did not ascend to heaven. We know this because on the third day after Jesus had resurrected, he told Mary the following:

John 20:16-17
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Here we learn that after Jesus resurrected and appeared before Mary on the 3rd day that he had not yet ascended to heaven where his Father was. The thief on the cross could not have been with Jesus in heaven. So the question is, where was Jesus on the day he died when he promised the man on the cross that today you will be with me in paradise? Between the time Jesus died and the time he was resurrected, Jesus went and preach to the spirits of those that have died.

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Jesus went among those who have died who were spirits and set up an organization for them to hear the gospel. Those in the spirit world who have received the gospel are in paradise and those who have not are in spirit prison. The thief on the cross who was to be with Jesus in paradise on that very day was with Jesus among the spirits of the dead who accepted the gospel.

Thus paradise is that place in the world of spirits where those who have received the gospel await the day of resurrection and judgement.

But Jesus had no sin. Therefore his baptism wasn't for remission of sin.
Righteousness includes humbly conforming to the will of the Father. Righteousness includes covenanting with the Father to obey His commandments. Righteousness includes receiving the ordinances of salvation. Righteousness includes following the example set by Jesus Christ.

Forum List

Back