Whatever ever happened to the little sign… ‘We have a right to refuse service’?

The Commerce Clause in this case. If you would read the ruling you'd know that.

Start here: Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States | Casebriefs

The commerce clause was never used to justify federal regulation of private business until FDR threatened to pack the SC with his cronies.
You never get tired of being wrong I see?

How Interpretation of the Commerce Power Has Changed over Time | www.streetlaw.org

Your link proves my point.

I'm well aware of the civil rights act, moron. My point is that the section on public accommodations is a violation of my rights and also a violation of the Constitution.

Isn't it frustrating!? Those damned laws! Maybe if you hold your breath they'll disappear.

Yeah, those Jim Crow laws were just so annoying, weren't they?

Everything you post to this forum only confirms the fact that you have brain damage.

Did you try to make a point? You failed.

I want to do things for myself? I want to take personal responsibility?
What makes you a tool is your inability to see we fully support that, and that, while terrific, it doesn't solve all our problems or work in all cases. The inability to understand that means you are avoiding reality, which is childish.

To allow businesses to deny service to anyone for any reason would truly be stupid; we've been there and done that. Only a lunatic would want to go back to those days when a black person could be deny service for no other reason than he was black or a Jew could be told that his kind would be more comfortable some place else, or fine restaurants would display signs that said No Micks Allowed, or businesses could decide facilities for the disabled weren't worth the cost.

Oh, but you see you're using a false premise. You're equating a limited group of deviant sexual behaviors [LGBT] to race or religion. They are neither. So it's like comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure bulimics would like to come out of the closet and have vomit urns placed on restaurant tables so their compulsive eating orientation can come out of the closet. But with behaviors, the majority has the right to regulate them; to allow or disallow them in public as they see fit.
The post I was replying to was not specific as to how far a business should be allowed to discriminate.

I think your example is an apples and oranges comparison. The couple is not asking the baker to condone homosexual sex in his bakery; they just want to buy a wedding cake.

No, it proves the exact opposite, unless FDR was trying to pack the court, in 1890.

The Sherman legislation regulated intrastate commerce, which the Constitution clearly grants authority to do. Running a restaurant is not "intrastate commerce."

No, it proves the exact opposite, unless FDR was trying to pack the court, in 1890.

The Sherman legislation regulated intrastate commerce, which the Constitution clearly grants authority to do. Running a restaurant is not "intrastate commerce."

Restaurants are covered under the Civil Rights Act.

I thought I told you to go get BETTER INFORMED.

Stay the fuck outta these threads until you do so.

The SC disagrees. And Congress was telling private businesses what they could do long before FDR came along. Be a man for once, and admit you were wrong.

What makes you a tool is your inability to see we fully support that, and that, while terrific, it doesn't solve all our problems or work in all cases. The inability to understand that means you are avoiding reality, which is childish.

Well Chipper, growing up starts with self awareness, and you have none. The issue is not that you won't let me take care of myself, the issue is you want me to take care of you. You want government to solve your problems and do your work for you, and you call anyone else childish? Grow up, man up, take care of yourself.

Well Chipper, growing up starts with self awareness, and you have none. The issue is not that you won't let me take care of myself, the issue is you want me to take care of you. You want government to solve your problems and do your work for you, and you call anyone else childish? Grow up, man up, take care of yourself.
The government doesn't keep my business alive or pay my bills little man, but I, unlike you, deal in reality not ideology.

You nailed it. That ... is the point ...
To allow businesses to deny service to anyone for any reason would truly be stupid; we've been there and done that. Only a lunatic would want to go back to those days when a black person could be deny service for no other reason than he was black or a Jew could be told that his kind would be more comfortable some place else, or fine restaurants would display signs that said No Micks Allowed, or businesses could decide facilities for the disabled weren't worth the cost.

Under Jim Crow, the law compelled businesses to discriminate, so your conclusion is not supported by the evidence. Jim Crow laws were passed precisely because businesses refused to discriminate against blacks and the racists couldn't allow that. History proves exactly the opposite of what you claim.
There was no law needed to compel businesses to discriminate in the South. Jim Crow laws were passed to protect businesses from outside pressures to integrate during reconstruction and into the 20th century. White businesses had no desire to integrate. Jim Crow laws, which they supported provide them with the legal mandate needed to keep their business segregated.

Last edited:
There was no law needed to compel businesses to discriminate in the South. Jim Crow laws were passed to protect businesses from outside pressures to integrate during reconstruction and into the 20th century. White businesses had no desire to integrate. Jim Crow laws, which they supported provide them with the legal mandate needed to keep their business segregated.

What on earth does racial discrimination have to do with discrimination against behaviors?

We have zillions of laws on the books discriminating against behaviors. Why does this particular set get a special pass? "LGBT" isn't even a complete set of them. Deviant fetish behaviors run the gamut. Why so exclusive? Just these behaviors and none other? Since when?

Who knew that there are so many homophobic bakeries out there? I didn't.

What ever happened to the baker that wanted to increase the business and expand the customer base and provide the highest quality product or service to their paying clientele?

Bake a cake with salt and icing with vinegar. How fucking stupid.

A satisfied customer tells three people or so how satisfied they were with a company or service.

A dissatisfied customer tell how many how badly they were treated? 12? 15 people. Anybody that will listen?

That right there is how fucking smart Republicans who run small business's are. Piss off the good paying customers to satisfy some weird moral belief that gay people shouldn't be able to buy a cake from a publicly run business. And the business owner is willing to give up future business and risk a poor reputation...........for what? A moral victory.

Good god republicans are stupid.

No, dude, a dissatisfied customer goes on Yelp, Google Places, your company facebook page, and just about every place else they can find and tells people how much your service sucks.

I'm wondering if Rottie would be so understanding if someone said, "We don't serve Christians here."
Some Catholic churches discourage non-Catholics from taking communion.

Forum List

Back