Whites do have a role in stopping racism

Whites do have a role in stopping racism.

Anne Hathaway calls out white privilege in passionate post about 'unspeakable' murder of Nia Wilson
Erin Donnelly,Yahoo Lifestyle 7 hours ago

Anne Hathaway is using her platform for a powerful cause.

Outraged by the fatal stabbing of 18-year-old Nia Wilson by a white man, the Oscar-winning actress dedicated an Instagram post to honoring the young black woman. Wilson and her sister, who survived the attack, were stabbed at the BART MacArthur Station in Oakland, Calif., on July 22.

But Hathaway’s post was more than a passive tribute to Wilson — it was a call to arms and condemnation of those who hide behind their “white privilege” and fail to take action in the face of violence and racism.

Describing Wilson’s murder as “unspeakable,” the Ocean’s 8 star acknowledged her own privilege while calling for white people to step up.

921c165b86a0f2e44a9ed5077973e212

Anne Hathaway paid tribute to the late Nia Wilson on social media. (Photo: Theo Wargo/FilmMagic)
“White people — including me, including you — must take into the marrow of our privileged bones the truth that ALL black people fear for their lives DAILY in America and have done so for GENERATIONS,” she wrote. “White people DO NOT have equivalence for this fear of violence. Given those givens, we must ask our (white) selves — how ‘decent’ are we really? Not in our intent, but in our actions? In our lack of action?”

She ended the message with the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag, as well as #AntiRacist, #NoExcuse,
#SayHerName, and #EarnTheRightToSayHerName.

Hathaway shut off the comments for the post, but that hasn’t stopped fans from responding. Many are now praising her as an ally.

Of course, Hathaway’s passionate plea received a fair share of critics. One troll called her a “self-hating white bitch who constantly does the most to get the acceptance and approval of black people online… so f***ing pathetic and cringey.”

“Saying white people will never feel fear like black people is wrong,” another critic commented under one of Hathaway’s older posts. “There’s thousands of white girls in the world who are too scared to leave their homes after they’ve been abused, raped, and trafficked by men. There’s many white girls who have been murdered by men. Like I get it you’re privileged as hell and think every white woman is the same as you but that’s now how it works. Racism is disgusting and white supremacy needs to die but some of the stuff you said is just wrong.”

Hathaway’s not the only celebrity to speak out for Wilson. Amber Tamblyn also posted about her murder this week, though some accused her of shaming white women.

Anne Hathaway calls out white privilege in passionate post about 'unspeakable' murder of Nia Wilson
Hathaway is very hot and a pretty good actress but like many such celebrities she is clueless about reality outside of her 1% bubble.

A few facts simply prove here narrative wrong.

So far the authorities have found no clear motive for the crime committed by the individual who allegedly stabbed Nia Wilson. People are claiming it is a hate crime but we just do not know. The fact that he is white and she is black does not make it a hate crime.

Her murder was unspeakable but so is any other murder.

Not all black people fear for their lives daily in America as she claims. Most do not and many who do live in fear of other black people.

Most whites do not fear for their lives daily but some do and their experience is no better or worse than black people who live in fear.

She should really just stick to starring in some good movies like Interstellar, ( while avoiding massive failures like Oceans 8 ) and doing the occasional nude scene and stop discussing political issues which she is massively ignorant.

Of course they didn't kill for the same reasons. Jesus. The point is that a black woman was murdered in cold blood in each case and yet the entire internet and Hollywood are in an uproar over the white murderer. Two black women are murdered and one is just as dead as the other but for some reason, racism seems to be the more heinous motive.

Apparently the means justify the end.
That may be the point to you which is probably why you are confused. Give you an example. Most white people die at the hands of other white people. Thats a given and true of every other race. A white guy kills a white woman and no one bats an eye. Now when a Black guy kills a white woman there is outrage and panic. Political careers are elevated or ended over the topic of being tough on crime because those people need to be controlled. Well its the same to us except we dont control the system so we cant send cops to crack heads in your neighborhood.

I shoulda figgered you'd find a way to make this about black victimhood.
I shoulda figured you would deflect because the truth bothers you.

The truth or non-truth of your remarks does not concern me because I'm not one of the ones that is outraged when a black man kills a white woman and it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

My thinking is; if we're going to be outraged then we should be outraged because a woman was murdered, not just because a white guy murdered a black woman or even that a black guy murdered a white woman.
Of course it concerns you. There was a reason you deflected instead of addressing the point. White people like you are allergic to truth.

That would make sense however reality dictates that there is more outrage because we know one thing for damn certain. The Black/white guy didnt kill the Black/white woman because he was a racist.

First of all, I find it particularly interesting that you capitalize the word "black" but not "white". This reveals much about your feelings about whites and that you are hopelessly biased. Secondly, the last remark is somewhat confusing. If I'm reading it correctly, you're saying that neither the black man nor the white man killed because he was racist. Well, I know the black didn't, obviously, but the white guy may have.
My point was not that there was a lack of an uproar over the black murderer, my point was that if there is to be an uproar, it should be because a woman was murdered, not because a white guy did it.

In order to be truly objective and logical about these murders, we need to be outraged at both cases or don't be outraged at all.

Hathaway is very hot and a pretty good actress but like many such celebrities she is clueless about reality outside of her 1% bubble.

So far the authorities have found no clear motive for the crime committed by the individual who allegedly stabbed Nia Wilson. People are claiming it is a hate crime but we just do not know. The fact that he is white and she is black does not make it a hate crime.

Not all black people fear for their lives daily in America as she claims. Most do not and many who do live in fear of other black people.

Most whites do not fear for their lives daily but some do and their experience is no better or worse than black people who live in fear.

She should really just stick to starring in some good movies like Interstellar, ( while avoiding massive failures like Oceans 8 ) and doing the occasional nude scene and stop discussing political issues which she is massively ignorant.
I stopped reading after you described Anne Hathaway as "very hot"

Could not take you seriously after that

I stopped reading after you described Anne Hathaway as "very hot"

Could not take you seriously after that
Ok I acknowledge that ones attractiveness is subjective. I never met anyone who says she is not at least cute.

You disagree? I won't judge I just find it a little odd.

That may be the point to you which is probably why you are confused. Give you an example. Most white people die at the hands of other white people. Thats a given and true of every other race. A white guy kills a white woman and no one bats an eye. Now when a Black guy kills a white woman there is outrage and panic. Political careers are elevated or ended over the topic of being tough on crime because those people need to be controlled. Well its the same to us except we dont control the system so we cant send cops to crack heads in your neighborhood.

The truth or non-truth of your remarks does not concern me because I'm not one of the ones that is outraged when a black man kills a white woman and it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

My thinking is; if we're going to be outraged then we should be outraged because a woman was murdered, not just because a white guy murdered a black woman or even that a black guy murdered a white woman.
Of course it concerns you. There was a reason you deflected instead of addressing the point. White people like you are allergic to truth.

That would make sense however reality dictates that there is more outrage because we know one thing for damn certain. The Black/white guy didnt kill the Black/white woman because he was a racist.

First of all, I find it particularly interesting that you capitalize the word "black" but not "white". This reveals much about your feelings about whites and that you are hopelessly biased. Secondly, the last remark is somewhat confusing. If I'm reading it correctly, you're saying that neither the black man nor the white man killed because he was racist. Well, I know the black didn't, obviously, but the white guy may have.
My point was not that there was a lack of an uproar over the black murderer, my point was that if there is to be an uproar, it should be because a woman was murdered, not because a white guy did it.

In order to be truly objective and logical about these murders, we need to be outraged at both cases or don't be outraged at all.

"White people like you are allergic to truth."

My bad. Let me clear it up. If a Black guy kills a Black woman we know he didnt do it because he is a racist. Typically when a white guy kills a white woman we know he didnt do it because he is a racist unless she is involved with a Black cause or prefers Black men.

Who told you that you get to decide for everyone else how outrage should be ranked? People have their own opinions. Human natures dictates that a murder done by an outsider galvanizes the community in a way that is different than a murder done by an insider. Give you an example. Black people know that Black criminals are going to kill each other and in the process take a few innocents with them. While we are outraged about it in our communities we understand the cause. We work to change these people. Now when you have a white criminal killing Black people its an entirely different thing. We live with the daily probability that a white cop will shoot us for moving too fast to get our registration or license even when instructed to. Or maybe we "fit the description" and made the mistake of having our phone in our hands.Or maybe its just some radicalized white boy stopping by the local church and killing Black people who are praying. We only understand that their hate is irrational, based on race and unpredictable. This cranks the level of concern to a whole new level because now instead of catching a stray bullet meant for a Black criminal we are being hunted by whites that can appear from anywhere at any moment.

I thought you guys already established that.
We have. I just want to know what it means to you?

What difference does it make what white privilege means to me if you guys are just going to continue flogging us with your version anyway?
It makes a huge difference. Why would I waste my time talking to you about something we cant even define and agree upon?

I don't buy that for a second. I think you have a very clear idea in your mind what white privilege is. I don't think you are at all interested in what white privilege means to me, I think you're just probing to see if I acknowledge it.
I think youre having trouble with reading comprehension. I do have a very clear idea in my mind what white privilege is. I definitely want to know your definition. We can all tell because I asked you as a prerequisite to us discussing your question.

"What does white privilege mean to you? I ask because we need to get the meaning established and because white people seem to have a difficult time accepting the definition unless they are aware of it."

My views about white privilege are irrelevant because I'm not the one who brought it up, Hathaway did. I'm asking why it was even brought up at all. The real question is: What does white privilege mean to Hathaway and why does she feel it's relevant here?

It is a false UNequivalence. Two black women murdered, one by a white guy and the other by a black guy. The white guy murdered because of white privilege but the black guy murdered because of, well, it doesn't matter because there's nothing newsworthy or Twitterworthy about a black man murdering a black woman apparently.
Nope its a false equivalence. Your are assuming facts not in evidence as well. Youre assuming both killed for the same reasons.

Of course they didn't kill for the same reasons. Jesus. The point is that a black woman was murdered in cold blood in each case and yet the entire internet and Hollywood are in an uproar over the white murderer. Two black women are murdered and one is just as dead as the other but for some reason, racism seems to be the more heinous motive.

Drop the white victimhood one time. You whites go on and on about black on black crime while you ignore any and all white on white crime. You whites do this all the time. A white man kills a white woman, whites like you say nothing. A black man kills a white woman then you need more guns and you need more police, you need to enact stand your ground laws, stop and frisk and then you start talking about how blacks are increasing attacks on whites. So stop crying.

I don't say anything in either case. My problem is not so much that the black guy murdered, my problem is that both guys murdered but the white murderer is getting all the attention because they think it was racially motivated and somehow this makes his murder worse even though the result of both murders are the same: A dead black woman.

Your problem is that you continue trying to maw whites victims.

"maw"? What the hell is that?

We are now on page 45 of a thread that was supposed to be discussing how and in what way do whites see as the manner in which they can step forwards and assume their role in ending the problem of racism.

On behalf of all whites, I apologize that the Caucasian kowtowing is not moving fast enough for you.

Less than 1 percent of the responses by whites here do that. All you whites want to do lecture us like you guys have made it like you tell us you have and we all know that's a lie. then you want cry and play victim. We as blacks have heard, seen and felt your overreaction to black on black crime, while you totaly ignore white on white crime to the existent that you guys don't even call I that. So I think your complaints about his matter that really has nothing to do with the OP and as usual, ignores how whites have done these things and even worse. Which is why racism is such an outrage.

Blah blah blah I didn't say a thing about black on black crime or black on white crime or anything. As I told Asclepias, I'm not saying there should have been an uproar over the black murderer, I'm saying there shouldn't have been an uproar at all considering that in both cases a black woman was murdered.

The question for Hathaway and others who think white privilege is a factor at all in this case is; If a black woman is facing a white racist and a black rapist/murderer who both want to kill her, who should she fear more? Will her murder be less tragic if she's killed by the black guy? Will she somehow be less dead if killed by the black guy? Why is the death of a black woman at the hands of a white racist more shocking and controversial than the death of a black woman at the hands of a black guy?

We have. I just want to know what it means to you?

What difference does it make what white privilege means to me if you guys are just going to continue flogging us with your version anyway?
It makes a huge difference. Why would I waste my time talking to you about something we cant even define and agree upon?

I don't buy that for a second. I think you have a very clear idea in your mind what white privilege is. I don't think you are at all interested in what white privilege means to me, I think you're just probing to see if I acknowledge it.
I think youre having trouble with reading comprehension. I do have a very clear idea in my mind what white privilege is. I definitely want to know your definition. We can all tell because I asked you as a prerequisite to us discussing your question.

"What does white privilege mean to you? I ask because we need to get the meaning established and because white people seem to have a difficult time accepting the definition unless they are aware of it."

My views about white privilege are irrelevant because I'm not the one who brought it up, Hathaway did. I'm asking why it was even brought up at all. The real question is: What does white privilege mean to Hathaway and why does she feel it's relevant here?
If your views on white privilege were irrelevant to me then I wouldnt have asked. I dont care who brought it up. You asked me a question about it.
How would I know what white privilege means to this lady? I didnt know she existed until I saw the thread

And my thinking is that we should be concerned about whites committing crimes on whites instead of ignoring the higher numbers of white on white crime and the basically equal percentage of whites killing whites.

You go ahead and focus on what color is killing what color, I'll focus on the crime of murder.

You can't be that dense. How is it white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?
Where did I say that it is a white privilege for white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman ?
White privilege had nothing to do with this murder. It's just yet another asinine remark from yet another clueless celebrity based on no logic whatsoever.
What murder are you referring to ?

What are you asking me for? The story is in the OP.

You can't be that dense. How is it white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?
Where did I say that it is a white privilege for white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman ?
White privilege had nothing to do with this murder. It's just yet another asinine remark from yet another clueless celebrity based on no logic whatsoever.

Dude. Listen to how insane you sound.

It's like me saying to victims of 9/11 "Stop moaning !! What about that white guy Anders Brevik killing all those white people in Norway ? I mean you get all upset at Muslim Bin Laden killing mainly white people in Twin Towers but you white people are killing each other all over Russia, Bosnia, Serbia"

Or saying to a woman who has breast cancer. "Hey !!! Lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer. What are moaning for ? Cancer affects everyone. Not just you !!"

That's much better, thanks.

My bad. Let me clear it up. If a Black guy kills a Black woman we know he didnt do it because he is a racist. Typically when a white guy kills a white woman we know he didnt do it because he is a racist unless she is involved with a Black cause or prefers Black men.

And?

Who told you that you get to decide for everyone else how outrage should be ranked?

Who told you outrage is ranked at all? If we rank outrage, does this mean we rank tragedy as well? Is the one black woman's murder more tragic than the other? What do you think their families say about it? Does Samantha Stewart's family say "At least she wasn't murdered by a white racist"? Is Stewart less dead than Wilson?

People have their own opinions. Human natures dictates that a murder done by an outsider galvanizes the community in a way that is different than a murder done by an insider. Give you an example. Black people know that Black criminals are going to kill each other and in the process take a few innocents with them. While we are outraged about it in our communities we understand the cause. We work to change these people. Now when you have a white criminal killing Black people its an entirely different thing. We live with the daily probability that a white cop will shoot us for moving too fast to get our registration or license even when instructed to. Or maybe we "fit the description" and made the mistake of having our phone in our hands.Or maybe its just some radicalized white boy stopping by the local church and killing Black people who are praying. We only understand that their hate is irrational, based on race and unpredictable. This cranks the level of concern to a whole new level because now instead of catching a stray bullet meant for a Black criminal we are being hunted by whites that can appear from anywhere at any moment.

More blacks are killed by other blacks so one wonders why this does not galvanize the black community.

If your views on white privilege were irrelevant to me then I wouldnt have asked.

It may or may not be relevant to you personally but it's not relevant to the discussion.

I dont care who brought it up. You asked me a question about it.

You asked me a question first: "Who said it was white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?

To which I replied: "What does white privilege have to do with this murder?"

How would I know what white privilege means to this lady? I didnt know she existed until I saw the thread

It was a rhetorical question. I certainly don't expect you to know that.

Dude. Listen to how insane you sound.

It's like me saying to victims of 9/11 "Stop moaning !! What about that white guy Anders Brevik killing all those white people in Norway ? I mean you get all upset at Muslim Bin Laden killing mainly white people in Twin Towers but you white people are killing each other all over Russia, Bosnia, Serbia"

Or saying to a woman who has breast cancer. "Hey !!! Lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer. What are moaning for ? Cancer affects everyone. Not just you !!"

Dude, listen to how uncomprehending you are.

I'm not calling for outrage over the black murderer, I'm calling for no outrage over the white murderer. Understand? I'm not the one making distinctions here, Hathaway did that. I say that the white guy's race is irrelevant considering that a black woman was murdered in both cases. Get it?

Yes, and they can start by ignoring professional trolls like you who only exacerbate the problem and stir up hatred and division. I'll tell you the same thing I told your counterpart in the other baiting thread. If you spent as much time cleaning up your own neighborhoods and rotting subculture as you do blaming everybody else for your problem you could make a lot of progress, but you're not interested that. You're satisfied playing forever the victim.

Are the whites here starting baiting threads? Your really need to not make comments about things you know nothing about. So from this point on, I am going to embarrass your Asian ass for your approach. This is a study done by the Economic Policy Institute I know you haven't read. You don't know this because you don't want progress. You want to be number one favored race for white man.

50 years after the Kerner Commission: African Americans are better off in many ways but are still disadvantaged by racial inequality

Report • By Janelle Jones, John Schmitt, and Valerie Wilson • February 26, 2018

The year 1968 was a watershed in American history and black America’s ongoing fight for equality. In April of that year, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis and riots broke out in cities around the country. Rising against this tragedy, the Civil Rights Act of 1968 outlawing housing discrimination was signed into law. Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in a black power salute as they received their medals at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Arthur Ashe became the first African American to win the U.S. Open singles title, and Shirley Chisholm became the first African American woman elected to the House of Representatives.

The same year, the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, better known as the Kerner Commission, delivered a report to President Johnson examining the causes of civil unrest in African American communities. The report named “white racism”—leading to “pervasive discrimination in employment, education and housing”—as the culprit, and the report’s authors called for a commitment to “the realization of common opportunities for all within a single [racially undivided] society.”1 The Kerner Commission report pulled together a comprehensive array of data to assess the specific economic and social inequities confronting African Americans in 1968.

Where do we stand as a society today? In this brief report, we compare the state of black workers and their families in 1968 with the circumstances of their descendants today, 50 years after the Kerner report was released. We find both good news and bad news. While African Americans are in many ways better off in absolute terms than they were in 1968, they are still disadvantaged in important ways relative to whites. In several important respects, African Americans have actually lost ground relative to whites, and, in a few cases, even relative to African Americans in 1968.

Following are some of the key findings:

• African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968 but still lag behind whites in overall educational attainment. More than 90 percent of younger African Americans (ages 25 to 29) have graduated from high school, compared with just over half in 1968—which means they’ve nearly closed the gap with white high school graduation rates. They are also more than twice as likely to have a college degree as in 1968 but are still half as likely as young whites to have a college degree.
  • The substantial progress in educational attainment of African Americans has been accompanied by significant absolute improvements in wages, incomes, wealth, and health since 1968. But black workers still make only 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by white workers, African Americans are 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites, and the median white family has almost 10 times as much wealth as the median black family.
  • With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.
Educational attainment
The most important development since 1968 is that African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968. These absolute improvements in educational attainment—including substantial increases in both high school and college completion rates—have opened important doors for black workers compared with their counterparts 50 years ago. In relative terms, African Americans today are almost as likely as whites to have completed high school. But even though the share of younger African Americans with a college degree has more than doubled, African Americans today are still only about half as likely to have a college degree as whites of the same age.

High school graduation rates. Over the last five decades, African Americans have seen substantial gains in high school completion rates. In 1968, just over half (54.4 percent) of 25- to 29-year-old African Americans had a high school diploma. Today, more than nine out of 10 African Americans (92.3 percent) in the same age range had a high school diploma. (See Table 1 for all data presented in this report.)

The large increase in high school completion rates helped to close the gap relative to whites. In 1968, African Americans trailed whites by more than 20 percentage points (75.0 percent of whites had completed high school, compared with 54.4 percent of blacks). In the most recent data, the gap is just 3.3 percentage points (95.6 percent for whites versus 92.3 percent for African Americans).

College graduation rates. College graduation rates have also improved for African Americans. Among 25- to 29-year-olds, less than one in 10 (9.1 percent) had a college degree in 1968, a figure that has climbed to almost one in four (22.8 percent) today.

Over the same period, however, college completion expanded for whites at a similar pace, rising from 16.2 percent in 1968 to 42.1 percent today, leaving the relative situation of African Americans basically unchanged: in 1968 blacks were just over half (56.0 percent) as likely as whites to have a college degree, a situation that is essentially the same today (54.2 percent).2

We would expect that these kinds of increases in the absolute levels of formal education would translate into large improvements in economic and related outcomes for African Americans. The rest of our indicators test the validity of this assumption.

Unemployment
The unemployment rate for African Americans in 2017 (the last full year of data) was 7.5 percent, 0.8 percentage points higher than it was in 1968 (6.7 percent). The unemployment rate for whites was 3.8 percent in 2017 and 3.2 percent in 1968.3

The unemployment data for these two years, almost 50 years apart, demonstrate a longstanding and unfortunate economic regularity: the unemployment rate for black workers is consistently about twice as high as it is for white workers.

Wages and income
Hourly wages. The inflation-adjusted hourly wage of the typical black worker rose 30.5 percent between 1968 and 2016, or about 0.6 percent per year. This slow rate of growth is particularly disappointing given the large increase in educational attainment among African Americans over these decades.

Even slower real wage growth (about 0.2 percent per year) for the typical white worker—albeit starting from a higher initial wage—meant that African Americans did modestly close the racial wage gap over the last five decades. But, in 2016, by the hourly wage measure used here, the typical black worker still only made 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by the typical white worker.4

Household income. The inflation-adjusted annual income of the typical African American household increased 42.8 percent between 1968 and 2016, slightly outpacing income growth for the typical white household (36.7 percent). But the typical black household today still receives only 61.6 percent of the annual income received by the typical white household.5

Poverty rates. The share of African Americans living in poverty has declined substantially in the last five decades. Using the official federal poverty measure as a benchmark, over one-third (34.7 percent) of African Americans were in poverty in 1968. Today, the share in poverty is just over one in five (21.4 percent). For whites, the decline in the poverty rate was much smaller, from 10.0 percent in 1968 to 8.8 percent in 2016. In the most recent data, African Americans are about 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites. (In 1968, they were 3.5 times as likely to be in poverty.)6

Family wealth
The typical black family had almost no wealth in 1968 ($2,467; data refer to 19637). Today, that figure is about six times larger ($17,409), but it is still not that far from zero when you consider that families typically draw on their wealth for larger expenses, such as meeting basic needs over the course of retirement, paying for their children’s college education, putting a down payment on a house, or coping with a job loss or medical crisis.

Over the same period, the wealth of the typical white family almost tripled, from a much higher initial level. In 2016, the median African American family had only 10.2 percent of the wealth of the median white family ($17,409 versus $171,000).8

Homeownership. One of the most important forms of wealth for working and middle-class families is home equity. Yet, the share of black households that owned their own home remained virtually unchanged between 1968 (41.1 percent) and today (41.2 percent). Over the same period, homeownership for white households increased 5.2 percentage points to 71.1 percent, about 30 percentage points higher than the ownership rate for black households.9

Health
Infant mortality. Over the last five decades, African Americans have experienced enormous improvements in infant mortality rates. The number of deaths per 1,000 live births has fallen from 34.9 in 1968 to 11.4 in the most recent data. Over the same period, whites have also seen dramatic reductions in infant mortality, with rates falling from 18.8 to 4.9 by the same measure.

In relative terms, however, African Americans have fallen behind. In 1968, black infants were about 1.9 times as likely to die as white infants. Today, the rate is 2.3 times higher for African Americans.10

Life expectancy. African Americans’ life expectancy at birth has also increased substantially (up 11.5 years) between 1968 and today, outpacing the increase for whites (up 7.5 years). But an African American born today can, on average, still expect to live about 3.5 fewer years than a white person born on the same day.11

Incarceration
The share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 (604 of every 100,000 in the total population) and 2016 (1,730 per 100,000).

The share of whites in prison or jail has also increased dramatically, but from a much lower base. In 1968, about 111 of every 100,000 whites were incarcerated. In the most recent data, the share has increased to 270 per 100,000.

In 1968, African Americans were about 5.4 times as likely as whites to be in prison or jail. Today, African Americans are 6.4 times as likely as whites to be incarcerated, which is especially troubling given that whites are also much more likely to be incarcerated now than they were in 1968

50 years after the Kerner Commission: African Americans are better off in many ways but are still disadvantaged by racial inequality

Learn not to talk shit when you don't know what you are talking about. To borrow from Ice Cube's song True to the Game-"You wanna be just like Jack but Jack calls you a ---- behind your back. So back off genius, cause I don't need you to correct me. You know that's right, you ain't white, so stop holding your ass tight. Cause you can't pass so why you tryin to pass with your Asian ass? " I've seen these people whose asses you kiss diss you for being an Asian. You're weak. So don't lecture me.

I'm going to make this very easy for you. There is a reason my people don't have the issues yours do. Having children one can't afford is the number one reason people end up on the welfare state in this country living in the ghetto. You guys are the ones popping 80% of your kids out of wedlock, leading to financial strain. We aren't. We value education. You don't. We aren't the ones running around our neighborhoods doing drive-bys on each other and committing half the violent crime in this country. You are.

The problem isn't white people; it's your rotting subculture and until you decide to start fixing that instead of blaming everybody else you'll continue to be viewed by others as the lowest common denominator in American society.

That's much better, thanks.

And?

Who told you that you get to decide for everyone else how outrage should be ranked?

Who told you outrage is ranked at all? If we rank outrage, does this mean we rank tragedy as well? Is the one black woman's murder more tragic than the other? What do you think their families say about it? Does Samantha Stewart's family say "At least she wasn't murdered by a white racist"? Is Stewart less dead than Wilson?

People have their own opinions. Human natures dictates that a murder done by an outsider galvanizes the community in a way that is different than a murder done by an insider. Give you an example. Black people know that Black criminals are going to kill each other and in the process take a few innocents with them. While we are outraged about it in our communities we understand the cause. We work to change these people. Now when you have a white criminal killing Black people its an entirely different thing. We live with the daily probability that a white cop will shoot us for moving too fast to get our registration or license even when instructed to. Or maybe we "fit the description" and made the mistake of having our phone in our hands.Or maybe its just some radicalized white boy stopping by the local church and killing Black people who are praying. We only understand that their hate is irrational, based on race and unpredictable. This cranks the level of concern to a whole new level because now instead of catching a stray bullet meant for a Black criminal we are being hunted by whites that can appear from anywhere at any moment.

More blacks are killed by other blacks so one wonders why this does not galvanize the black community.
I quoted something you completely missed prior to making your complaint about me not capitalizing white but always capitalizing Black.

and what?

i told me. When someone breaks my window I am outraged. When a white racist breaks my window my outrage is going to be exponentially higher in rank.

Black community is already galvanized and working on the issue. No we dont give progress reports to Black people because its none of your business and you have your own white on white crime problem to deal with.

If your views on white privilege were irrelevant to me then I wouldnt have asked.

It may or may not be relevant to you personally but it's not relevant to the discussion.

I dont care who brought it up. You asked me a question about it.

You asked me a question first: "Who said it was white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?

To which I replied: "What does white privilege have to do with this murder?"

It was a rhetorical question. I certainly don't expect you to know that.

I disagree. I wont discuss your question until you explain your understanding of what white privilege is. If you dont explain your question will not be discussed.

Thats because you asked the following question first...

"How is it white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?"

I then asked....

"
Who said it was white privilege for a white man to murder a black woman but not when a black man murders a black woman?

To which you replied:

"What does white privilege have to do with this murder?"

Do you always get confused this easily?

From my recollection thats the smartest thing you have posted.

Yes, and they can start by ignoring professional trolls like you who only exacerbate the problem and stir up hatred and division. I'll tell you the same thing I told your counterpart in the other baiting thread. If you spent as much time cleaning up your own neighborhoods and rotting subculture as you do blaming everybody else for your problem you could make a lot of progress, but you're not interested that. You're satisfied playing forever the victim.

Are the whites here starting baiting threads? Your really need to not make comments about things you know nothing about. So from this point on, I am going to embarrass your Asian ass for your approach. This is a study done by the Economic Policy Institute I know you haven't read. You don't know this because you don't want progress. You want to be number one favored race for white man.

Report • By Janelle Jones, John Schmitt, and Valerie Wilson • February 26, 2018

The year 1968 was a watershed in American history and black America’s ongoing fight for equality. In April of that year, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis and riots broke out in cities around the country. Rising against this tragedy, the Civil Rights Act of 1968 outlawing housing discrimination was signed into law. Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in a black power salute as they received their medals at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Arthur Ashe became the first African American to win the U.S. Open singles title, and Shirley Chisholm became the first African American woman elected to the House of Representatives.

The same year, the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, better known as the Kerner Commission, delivered a report to President Johnson examining the causes of civil unrest in African American communities. The report named “white racism”—leading to “pervasive discrimination in employment, education and housing”—as the culprit, and the report’s authors called for a commitment to “the realization of common opportunities for all within a single [racially undivided] society.”1 The Kerner Commission report pulled together a comprehensive array of data to assess the specific economic and social inequities confronting African Americans in 1968.

Where do we stand as a society today? In this brief report, we compare the state of black workers and their families in 1968 with the circumstances of their descendants today, 50 years after the Kerner report was released. We find both good news and bad news. While African Americans are in many ways better off in absolute terms than they were in 1968, they are still disadvantaged in important ways relative to whites. In several important respects, African Americans have actually lost ground relative to whites, and, in a few cases, even relative to African Americans in 1968.

Following are some of the key findings:

• African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968 but still lag behind whites in overall educational attainment. More than 90 percent of younger African Americans (ages 25 to 29) have graduated from high school, compared with just over half in 1968—which means they’ve nearly closed the gap with white high school graduation rates. They are also more than twice as likely to have a college degree as in 1968 but are still half as likely as young whites to have a college degree.
  • The substantial progress in educational attainment of African Americans has been accompanied by significant absolute improvements in wages, incomes, wealth, and health since 1968. But black workers still make only 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by white workers, African Americans are 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites, and the median white family has almost 10 times as much wealth as the median black family.
  • With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.
Educational attainment
The most important development since 1968 is that African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968. These absolute improvements in educational attainment—including substantial increases in both high school and college completion rates—have opened important doors for black workers compared with their counterparts 50 years ago. In relative terms, African Americans today are almost as likely as whites to have completed high school. But even though the share of younger African Americans with a college degree has more than doubled, African Americans today are still only about half as likely to have a college degree as whites of the same age.

High school graduation rates. Over the last five decades, African Americans have seen substantial gains in high school completion rates. In 1968, just over half (54.4 percent) of 25- to 29-year-old African Americans had a high school diploma. Today, more than nine out of 10 African Americans (92.3 percent) in the same age range had a high school diploma. (See Table 1 for all data presented in this report.)

The large increase in high school completion rates helped to close the gap relative to whites. In 1968, African Americans trailed whites by more than 20 percentage points (75.0 percent of whites had completed high school, compared with 54.4 percent of blacks). In the most recent data, the gap is just 3.3 percentage points (95.6 percent for whites versus 92.3 percent for African Americans).

College graduation rates. College graduation rates have also improved for African Americans. Among 25- to 29-year-olds, less than one in 10 (9.1 percent) had a college degree in 1968, a figure that has climbed to almost one in four (22.8 percent) today.

Over the same period, however, college completion expanded for whites at a similar pace, rising from 16.2 percent in 1968 to 42.1 percent today, leaving the relative situation of African Americans basically unchanged: in 1968 blacks were just over half (56.0 percent) as likely as whites to have a college degree, a situation that is essentially the same today (54.2 percent).2

We would expect that these kinds of increases in the absolute levels of formal education would translate into large improvements in economic and related outcomes for African Americans. The rest of our indicators test the validity of this assumption.

Unemployment
The unemployment rate for African Americans in 2017 (the last full year of data) was 7.5 percent, 0.8 percentage points higher than it was in 1968 (6.7 percent). The unemployment rate for whites was 3.8 percent in 2017 and 3.2 percent in 1968.3

The unemployment data for these two years, almost 50 years apart, demonstrate a longstanding and unfortunate economic regularity: the unemployment rate for black workers is consistently about twice as high as it is for white workers.

Wages and income
Hourly wages. The inflation-adjusted hourly wage of the typical black worker rose 30.5 percent between 1968 and 2016, or about 0.6 percent per year. This slow rate of growth is particularly disappointing given the large increase in educational attainment among African Americans over these decades.

Even slower real wage growth (about 0.2 percent per year) for the typical white worker—albeit starting from a higher initial wage—meant that African Americans did modestly close the racial wage gap over the last five decades. But, in 2016, by the hourly wage measure used here, the typical black worker still only made 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by the typical white worker.4

Household income. The inflation-adjusted annual income of the typical African American household increased 42.8 percent between 1968 and 2016, slightly outpacing income growth for the typical white household (36.7 percent). But the typical black household today still receives only 61.6 percent of the annual income received by the typical white household.5

Poverty rates. The share of African Americans living in poverty has declined substantially in the last five decades. Using the official federal poverty measure as a benchmark, over one-third (34.7 percent) of African Americans were in poverty in 1968. Today, the share in poverty is just over one in five (21.4 percent). For whites, the decline in the poverty rate was much smaller, from 10.0 percent in 1968 to 8.8 percent in 2016. In the most recent data, African Americans are about 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites. (In 1968, they were 3.5 times as likely to be in poverty.)6

Family wealth
The typical black family had almost no wealth in 1968 ($2,467; data refer to 19637). Today, that figure is about six times larger ($17,409), but it is still not that far from zero when you consider that families typically draw on their wealth for larger expenses, such as meeting basic needs over the course of retirement, paying for their children’s college education, putting a down payment on a house, or coping with a job loss or medical crisis.

Over the same period, the wealth of the typical white family almost tripled, from a much higher initial level. In 2016, the median African American family had only 10.2 percent of the wealth of the median white family ($17,409 versus $171,000).8

Homeownership. One of the most important forms of wealth for working and middle-class families is home equity. Yet, the share of black households that owned their own home remained virtually unchanged between 1968 (41.1 percent) and today (41.2 percent). Over the same period, homeownership for white households increased 5.2 percentage points to 71.1 percent, about 30 percentage points higher than the ownership rate for black households.9

Health
Infant mortality. Over the last five decades, African Americans have experienced enormous improvements in infant mortality rates. The number of deaths per 1,000 live births has fallen from 34.9 in 1968 to 11.4 in the most recent data. Over the same period, whites have also seen dramatic reductions in infant mortality, with rates falling from 18.8 to 4.9 by the same measure.

In relative terms, however, African Americans have fallen behind. In 1968, black infants were about 1.9 times as likely to die as white infants. Today, the rate is 2.3 times higher for African Americans.10

Life expectancy. African Americans’ life expectancy at birth has also increased substantially (up 11.5 years) between 1968 and today, outpacing the increase for whites (up 7.5 years). But an African American born today can, on average, still expect to live about 3.5 fewer years than a white person born on the same day.11

Incarceration
The share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 (604 of every 100,000 in the total population) and 2016 (1,730 per 100,000).

The share of whites in prison or jail has also increased dramatically, but from a much lower base. In 1968, about 111 of every 100,000 whites were incarcerated. In the most recent data, the share has increased to 270 per 100,000.

In 1968, African Americans were about 5.4 times as likely as whites to be in prison or jail. Today, African Americans are 6.4 times as likely as whites to be incarcerated, which is especially troubling given that whites are also much more likely to be incarcerated now than they were in 1968

Learn not to talk shit when you don't know what you are talking about. To borrow from Ice Cube's song True to the Game-"You wanna be just like Jack but Jack calls you a ---- behind your back. So back off genius, cause I don't need you to correct me. You know that's right, you ain't white, so stop holding your ass tight. Cause you can't pass so why you tryin to pass with your Asian ass? " I've seen these people whose asses you kiss diss you for being an Asian. You're weak. So don't lecture me.

I'm going to make this very easy for you. There is a reason my people don't have the issues yours do. Having children one can't afford is the number one reason people end up on the welfare state in this country living in the ghetto. You guys are the ones popping 80% of your kids out of wedlock, leading to financial strain. We aren't. We value education. You don't. We aren't the ones running around our neighborhoods doing drive-bys on each other and committing half the violent crime in this country. You are.

The problem isn't white people; it's your rotting subculture and until you decide to start fixing that instead of blaming everybody else you'll continue to be viewed by others as the lowest common denominator in American society.
Very well said.

Cause I’m Whitey.
And you were stupid enough to click Informational.
Better unclick before anyone notices.
I clicked on you saying you were being sarcastic? You should screen shot that for proof.

Would you not agree that you are racist?

After all, racism is thinking that your race is better than another. Obviously you think this.
I've never claimed to be a racist but this thread really isnt about me.

Would you agree that you are a racist? Do you agree that the black race is morally superior to the white race?
Yes I agree the Black race is morally superior to the white race. Blacks taught the white race civilization on two occasions. Blacks never attempted to enslave whites nor hold them back in any manner like whites did and still do.
Thinking one's race is superior is the definition of racist

I've never claimed to be a racist but this thread really isnt about me.

Would you agree that you are a racist? Do you agree that the black race is morally superior to the white race?
Yes I agree the Black race is morally superior to the white race. Blacks taught the white race civilization on two occasions. Blacks never attempted to enslave whites nor hold them back in any manner like whites did and still do.

According to your history no. But according to history that is generally accepted, blacks sold their brothers into slavery.

I'm curious, do you have any evidence to the contrary?

And that's white history. Drunk history is more accurate.

11 pages of white irresponsibility.

Do you have an accurate history book for us to read?
He will cut and paste crap that he claims is the truth (mostly written by whites), then turn around and call anything whites post as lies because they were written by whites. He believes anything whites have learned about history is total lies, because he is the one who is all-knowing about race, be it white history or black.

Forum List

Back