Why are people against legalizing marijuana?

In 2017, more than 70,000 people died from drug overdoses, making it a leading cause of injury-related death in the United States. Sixty-eight percent of those deaths involved a prescription or illicit opioid. On average, 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose.

America's Drug Overdose Epidemic: Data to Action
Opiates and pot have little in common

No one has ever died from a Marijuana over dose

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You should be ashamed that you use drugs. That is not and should not be anything to be proud of.
I really don't care what you think about my choices.

And alcohol kills over 80000 people a year

But you people never want to make it illegal

What is more dangerous, smoking marijuana or vaping?
It depends on how you vape it

It was the black market liquid cartridges that caused all the problems

A dry vaporizer like I use does not use cartridges but rather heats the pot to a temperature that allows the active ingredients to boil off without combustion of the weed

The result is a cleaner much cooler hit

In 2017, more than 70,000 people died from drug overdoses, making it a leading cause of injury-related death in the United States. Sixty-eight percent of those deaths involved a prescription or illicit opioid. On average, 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose.

Let's get right at the heart of the problem then: make it illegal to die from an opioid overdose.

Acceptance of drug use as "normal" and "mainstream" is the underlying problem here.
you do know that people have been using drugs to alter their consciousness for as long as there have been people don't you?

It seems that drug use is a constant throughout our evolutionary history

Let's get right at the heart of the problem then: make it illegal to die from an opioid overdose.

Acceptance of drug use as "normal" and "mainstream" is the underlying problem here.

so you want to criminalize beer?

You know, marijuana isn't physically addictive in any way shape or form. And, it's not a chemically made thing, it's a plant.

As far as ChrisL saying that it messes with brain development? Yep, if it is used prior to age 21, but the same can be said of alcohol or any other mind altering substance. The brain is still growing and forming itself until around 20 or 21 years of age. If a person wants to smoke and they are over 21, let them do as they will.

And, marijuana has shown very positive results when it comes to treating opioid and heroin addiction. Addicts who are coming down off of heroin and opiates experience joint and muscle pain, are extremely jumpy, and are unable to eat. What happens when a person smokes an Indica strain? Pain in the muscles and joints is relieved, they calm down, and it also stimulates appetite. And, because it is non addictive, when a person is far enough away from heroin, if they choose to, they can simply stop using marijuana. VICE channel did a story about it on their show Weedequette, and they have around a 60 percent recovery rate.

Matter of fact, because it's shown promise in treating opiate and heroin addiction, New Mexico is now saying addiction can be one of the reasons for getting medical marijuana.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st.../new-mexico-expands-medical-marijuana-program

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A state at the forefront of the U.S. opioid and drug overdose epidemic is turning to its medical marijuana program to reduce suffering from drug use and addiction.

New Mexico health officials on Thursday expanded the list of qualifying conditions for the state's medical cannabis program to include opioid use disorder, joining several other states. Other qualifying conditions that were added include Alzheimer's disease, autism spectrum disorder and three degenerative neurological disorders.

And, if ChrisL's claim that marijuana is bad for your brain, then why is it used to treat autism and Alzheimer's? If it was bad for your brain, it wouldn't be used for those conditions.
All the hoopla about teens and pot is ridiculous especially since teenagers have been drinking and smoking pot since way before I was a teenager

It's not the fact that some kids drink alcohol and smoke pot, it's how much and how many. I have a friend who's an assistance principal at a local high school. He says everyday kids are sitting in his office so stoned they don't know where they are. That did not happen before pot was legalized.

You can have legalized pot without creating an epidemic of pot use in schools if you do it right. First, you don't allow pot shops anywhere close to schools. Second, you tax pot to make it too expensive for high schools. We found that raising the price of cigarettes reduces teen smoking. Teens are very sensitive to price. You do not allow the sale of marijuana products that are very attractive to kids such cookies, suckers and candy. Lastly decriminalizing and legalizing marijuana should not mean you de-emphasizes enforcement of sale to minors. In most places where it is legalized, the police back off all together in enforcing marijuana laws against sale to minors. That needs to change.

t's not the fact that some kids drink alcohol and smoke pot, it's how much and how many. I have a friend who's an assistance principal at a local high school. He says everyday kids are sitting in his office so stoned they don't know where they are. That did not happen before pot was legalized.

But it did happen before it was legalized. I live in a state that only has legalized medical which happened a couple years ago. The town I live in is very small and all conservative and very wealthy. My son is 44 and went to high school in this very, very conservative illegal pot town and when he started high school he told us about kids selling marijuana and other drugs out of their daddy's vets, mercedes, etc. Forward a few years to when my two oldest grandkids went to this same high school, same shit different times. Now in this very wealthy conservative area my youngest grandson that is 12 came home from middle school the other day and tells my daughter some kid try to sell him some pills. So don't tell me any of this started with legalization.

Hell I went to school with kids who stole their parents pills and alcohol and brougth them to school in the 60's.

What is more dangerous, smoking marijuana or vaping?
Vaping marijuana. That is a real killer.
Only for people who know nothing about it like you.

It's the black market THC liquid vape cartridges that were killing people.

People who bought them from legally sanctioned sellers didn't have a problem

and as I told you before not all methods of vaping are equal

Dry herb vaping is IMO the very best way because you don't inhale any combustion byproducts

When the prohibitionists campaigned against alcohol they had very specific fears. Children would be drunks, the breakdown of the family, alcoholics becoming a social burden. Absolutely everything they were afraid of happened, and more. The legalization of alcohol is being used to justify the legalization of every kind of mind altering poison. Had the anti prohibitionists the ability to look into the future we would have prohibition today.

When the prohibitionists campaigned against alcohol they had very specific fears. Children would be drunks, the breakdown of the family, alcoholics becoming a social burden. Absolutely everything they were afraid of happened, and more. The legalization of alcohol is being used to justify the legalization of every kind of mind altering poison. Had the anti prohibitionists the ability to look into the future we would have prohibition today.

Yeah and the prohibition resulted in huge crime rate spikes not to mention the rise of organized crime. violence in the streets and bloody murders

It seems we were better off with alcohol than without it from a societal point of view.

The fact that you all want to give alcohol a pass and want to ban something that doesn't cause anywhere near the problems alcohol does is hypocrisy

Not exactly

Louisiana coroner claims first ever recorded death from marijuana overdose

so you want to criminalize beer?

They want to criminalize everything they don't like. Individual liberty doesn't even register with these kinds of people. For them, government is just a tool to get one over on your neighbor.

Not exactly

However, experts are doubtful, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse there are no reports of teens or adults dying solely from marijuana.

Yeah and the prohibition resulted in huge crime rate spikes not to mention the rise of organized crime. violence in the streets and bloody murders

It seems we were better off with alcohol than without it from a societal point of view.

The fact that you all want to give alcohol a pass and want to ban something that doesn't cause anywhere near the problems alcohol does is hypocrisy
Actually marijuana causes the same problems as alcohol. According to you the same problems with prohibition.

At least in my family there are three dopers and one alcoholic. It was marijuana that almost killed a child. Not alcohol. It's the drunk that has 7 years on the job and the pot head that gets canned over and over.

You should be ashamed that you use drugs. That is not and should not be anything to be proud of.

the 1950's called....they want to know when you are coming back.....

they miss your simplistic ignorance

LOTS of people work, pay bills, raise families, buy houses, pay taxes, go to college, join the military........people who, at night, relaxing, smoke a little pot or drink a little alcohol

kindly mind your own business and leave them alone

Not exactly

Pretty weak

It was probably some shit in the oil she was vaping and not the THC

THC does not depress the respiratory system like opiates do

Actually marijuana causes the same problems as alcohol. According to you the same problems with prohibition.

At least in my family there are three dopers and one alcoholic. It was marijuana that almost killed a child. Not alcohol. It's the drunk that has 7 years on the job and the pot head that gets canned over and over.

Yes our failed policy of drug prohibition and the failed war on drugs has caused far more problems than legalizing drugs would.

The narco terrorists that exist today exist because of our failed drug policies

Forum List

Back