Why aren’t the politicians talking about one of the greatest issues facing America. The Obesity rate and our unhealthy population

Obesity rates are rising globally, primarily in children in low-income countries. Worldwide obesity on the rise

And as for "medical costs", as I have pointed out before and will undoubtedly do again, that is part of how we subsidize medical research. The US spends more on healthcare R&D a year than the UK spends on its entire NHS system. If the US were to adopt the UK model, medical advancement would stop dead in its tracks.

As for why the US life expectancy is declining is primarily due to increases in suicides and drug overdoses, not McDonalds.
That is all interesting. But still a major question remains. Why is the USA the most obese country in the world. It’s not healthy right. And the question then becomes how to tackle this issue. How to get American people more physically fit.

However much we spend on research and development or any programs , Whatever the government is currently doing …we have the most obese country in the world.

Agreed that mental depression and drug use is a key part of this conversation. I think it’s wrong that we have legal marijuana throughout the country. We have a government that is attacking the masculine man and telling men it’s OK to act like women. Our obesity rate has only grown over the years. So we did not have these types of issues in the American past.

The Motivation Factor - Physical Education in schools in 1960's - #JFKChallenge

Taxpayer dollar should be not pumped into foreign countries for their own wars. But into the United States to shape a strong and healthy society. It is necessary to have government fund the programs, especially at the inner cities where many kids have parents who are crackheads or who are in prison.

That ain’t right. There’s some kid in the city of Chicago or Baltimore who doesn’t have a parent at home while some rich parents are giving their kids money…. So that’s a moral government. We could even say a Christian society step up and says we’re going to do something about a child who is living in poverty because he is an American citizen.

The Christian society has stepped up. The reason that most children live in poverty is for not living in a Christian way. A lot of its we flaunt rules.

Look at what the legalization of marijuana has done. Yes, there’s plenty of people who smoke weed and who are responsible. But there is a sort of culture of the “munchies” associated with it.

You have Democrats and even Republicans not addressing this issue. Republicans don’t really even talk about it. Democrats like Gavin Newsom says it’s OK to get high.

But what does that type of culture lead ?? well it’s blatantly obvious. There is a subculture in America across the racial spectrum where they think it’s OK to smoke a bunch of weed eat chips and candy all day and do nothing and be nothing. Play video games all day, and get fatter and fatter and fatter. Instead of being a traditional masculine man, and going out and approaching a woman, and meeting her and taking her out on a date.

Instead of being a traditional masculine man, we have so many young people across this country, using dope all day playing video games nonstop they are mentally depressed. That is not healthy for society, and it has led to an increase in obesity. Obviously if a young kid is playing video games and smoking weed all day and eating fatty foods, he’s going to get fatter. It’s called common sense. So that’s a problem And it must be addressed

We ate all that junk food when I was a kid. No one was obese. Of course we didn't have television, computers, or smartphones either.
That’s definitely the case. People were more social back in your day. I’ve talked to people who are in their late 80s and early 90s at the YMCA gym. They go to a restaurant and they are shocked to see young people staring at their phones all day. They’re wondering what happened to this country

That is all interesting. But still a major question remains. Why is the USA the most obese country in the world.
Your said it earlier. We have the most money. Same reason we spend more on health care.
It’s not healthy right. And the question then becomes how to tackle this issue.
Eat better.
How to get American people more physically fit.
You can't. It's up to them, not you, nor the government.

That is all interesting. But still a major question remains. Why is the USA the most obese country in the world. It’s not healthy right. And the question then becomes how to tackle this issue. How to get American people more physically fit.

However, much we spend on research and development. Whatever the government is currently doing we have the most obese country in the world.
For now. Eventually we won't be the most obese country when the third world passes up so problem solved. Of course, if you looked at the link, you would have seen why they are getting fatter. Part of it is that they are gaining wider access to animal-based proteins that they didn't have before (which Americans have relied upon forever) and part of it is processed foods, not just american processed foods. China is next-leveling the US in food processing to meet the wants and needs of its growing middle-class.

Your said it earlier. We have the most money. Same reason we spend more on health care.

Eat better.

You can't. It's up to them, not you, nor the government.
What happens though when the country continues to get more obese by the year as Forbes pointed out When you have people who don’t eat better. But actually forget about that from a moment. How about children.

What do you think about cigarettes being banned from advertising in many public spaces.? Why is that happening to cigarette companies but not candy companies manufacturing fatty foods that are a net negative to health.

A young kid who has a crackhead mom, or just an irresponsible parent who gives the money to buy candy. That’s a problem, and it is up to a higher authority to do something about it. So it Hass to be addressed as the years go on. Child obesity is a problem in America and you know the saying “a kid in a candy room.”

It’s the same reason why we have laws in this country. If we didn’t have law in order, you would have the worst criminal creatures in the world child predators doing whatever they want. That’s why we have laws and prison for those types of adults who exploit children.

I think it’s a fair thing to have a law that does not allow a 14-year-old kid to buy alcohol. We cannot have anarchy. A good society has a proper government.

Caged animals will eat themselves to death whereas in their natural environment they wouldn't. Mankind is in kind of a cage, so our behavior patterns aren't natural.

Me, age 11. Poor but very healthy.

Me, age 11.jpg

Obesity, queer, transgendered, straight. All a personal choice.

I have noticed that people started getting fatter after the invention of the internet and smart phones.
It started round 2000.
You don't need breakfast.
Two meals a day is enough.

They aren't talking about it right now because in the grand scheme of issues facing our country right now, fat people is pretty low. We have way too many more pressing issues.

I have noticed that people started getting fatter after the invention of the internet and smart phones.
It started round 2000.

Not needing more than 2 meals a day is an opinion and not a fact. And not all people are the same so you can't apply the same metric to every single person and assume all genetic, physical, or even metabolic rates are equal.

I eat 3 meals a a day and like oatmeal or a bowl of cereal late at night. If I don't I feel puny. Im 6ft and weigh about 160lbs so I am by no means fat, never have been and never will be because I am an ectomorph. If I eat less I'll lose weight I can't afford to lose.

I need breakfast everyday. If I don't then by lunch time I don't feel so hot. Even if it's like I ate breakfast at work, just some ham and green beans, just something.

And saying obesity started because of the internet and smart phones is unfounded, incorrect and just a really lazy throw away comment intended to make you sound more intelligent and insightful than you are. But I get it "it sounds really good in my head".

Obesity goes back a lot further.

Last edited:
It started round 2000.
Agreed. That’s one of the negative effects of technology..sedentary activities like the growth of video games can be a problem.

some folks do intermittent fasting … voluntary fasting throughout portions of the day or week. That helps with weight loss for example.

They aren't talking about it right now because in the grand scheme of issues facing our country right now, fat people is pretty low. We have way too many more pressing issues.

Not needing more than 2 meals a day is an opinion and not a fact. And not all people are the same so you can't apply the same metric to every single person and assume all genetic, physical, or even metabolic rates are equal.

I eat 3 meals a a day and like oatmeal or a bowl of cereal late at night. If I don't I feel puny. Im 6ft and weigh about 160lbs so I am by no means fat, never have been and never will be because I am an ectomorph. If I eat less I'll lose weight I can't afford to lose.

I need breakfast everyday. If I don't then by lunch time I don't feel so hot. Even if it's like I ate breakfast at work, just some ham and green beans, just something.

And saying obesity started because of the internet and smart phones is unfounded, incorrect and just a really lazy throw away comment intended to make you sound more intelligent and insightful than you are. But I get it "it sounds really good in my head".

The fact is though a good percentage of younger people are living life sedentary as compared to previous generations. Running around outside as a kid used up a lot of calories. There are people who believe that some ingredients in our food screws with the metabolism.

It will be fair to say there is a number of reasons for the growth of obesity in America. And that is going to be inclusive of the rise of fast food restaurants.

Do you remember the whole supersize thing associated with McDonald’s. You can “supersize “ it. Get a supersized french fries, or a supersize Coca-Cola. That’s more calories and unhealthy food/drink.

Now common sense would tell us for example if you have a young kid who is playing PlayStation or Nintendo all night and all day on time off, that’s a problem. … couple that with eating chips and cookies of course that’s going to be a problem. Compared to say the 1950s when a good fun time for a kid was going outside playing basketball or baseball or running around.

I agree that different diets work for different people. You have for example the carnivore diet, which helps people out. It’s an all meat diet that helped out my brother-in-law who has lost maybe 80 pounds or more on the carnivore diet.

For some folks, having a start to the day with a big breakfast is beneficial. But at the same time others fast and don’t eat right away. The big Takeaway that everyone ought to be able to agree with because it’s what the nutritional facts tell us …is that if somebody is living a sedentary lifestyle with eating a bunch of McDonald’s, Kentucky fried chicken, and candy that is not going to be beneficial to their house, and it will cause health problems in the long term , it will also cost society because of the medical costs.

Forum List

Back