Why do Republicans perceive every tax as "punishing" something?

Grover Norquist Syndrome that we fight against in the GOP.

We are getting better at diagnosing GNS and treating it.

Why do Democrats insist on punishing success in favor of freeloading Democrat voting failures.

answer...it wins elections

I've often wondered the same thing.

Taxes pay for my roads and street lighting, for plumbing and wastewater treatment, for schools and hospitals.

Those are all good things. I sometimes wince when I pay my 24% VAT bill each month, but by and large I pay my taxes with a smile on my face. I am paying my part towards a fair, efficient society with good services.

I wonder sometimes if Republicans would prefer someone else pay their costs for them.

All parties, of course, serve their constituents.

Absolutely, they do.

All parties do what they think is best for the people who vote for them.

The strange thing is that GOP policies largely serves as bloated elite of investment bankers, lawyers and insurance brokers - while somehow tricking the middle classes into thinking they will be better off.

I've often wondered the same thing.

Taxes pay for my roads and street lighting, for plumbing and wastewater treatment, for schools and hospitals.

Those are all good things. I sometimes wince when I pay my 24% VAT bill each month, but by and large I pay my taxes with a smile on my face. I am paying my part towards a fair, efficient society with good services.

I wonder sometimes if Republicans would prefer someone else pay their costs for them.

I wonder sometimes if Liberals say these things just to cover for their displeasure? I wonder how they can be deluding themselves into thinking all taxes contribute to something good? There are essential taxes, and wasteful ones.

Example of false assumption: . . . deluding themselves into thinking all taxes contribute to something good?

An example based on a lie, for the comment can never be proven.

That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. They serve nothing but themselves.

You are a vacuous mind, blathering but not comprehending. Yes, parties serve themselves, and parties serve their constituencies.

You are blind and dishonest Jake. You follow after things that don't exist but contend they are within your reach. You are a two-faced coward, and a Liberal plant. Let's drop the charade, shall we? I've been on to you from day one.

By the way, how does a party "serve their constituents" when they fulfill almost none of the promises they make? Like blinded sheep they continue donating money to them as if that will change. And like a crippled horse, you (among other liberals) willfully follow your executioner to your inevitable demise. How utterly sad. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can however lead him to his death. Loyalty has it's flaws, and I'm looking at one right now.

I wonder sometimes if Liberals say these things just to cover for their displeasure? I wonder how they can be deluding themselves into thinking all taxes contribute to something good? There are essential taxes, and wasteful ones.

The waste is not the tax - but what the government does with that tax.

Luckily, I use my vote to support a party who I think will prioritise issues that are important to me.

What I don't do is become so selfish that I start whining about money going to schools, simply because I do not have children. I believe in education, so I support the government in funding it. Ditto hospitals. I'm a healthy person, but I am delighted to invest my money in a system that offers first world heatlhcare to everyone without rationing it.

Taxes in this country are high - I think 24% VAT is too high - but we also have good services and a great deal of freedom, so it's not a bad equation.

Last edited:
That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. They serve nothing but themselves.

You are a vacuous mind, blathering but not comprehending. Yes, parties serve themselves, and parties serve their constituencies.

You follow after things that don't exist but contend they are within your reach.

You say parties don't serve their constituents: of course, they do.

You want elsewhere an individual to prove a negative: can't be done.

You merely stumble and mumble and bumble along.

Your failure is this: you twist facts to your pre-conceived view, instead of adjusting your view to the facts.

That is called adulthood.

Example of false assumption: . . . deluding themselves into thinking all taxes contribute to something good?

An example based on a lie, for the comment can never be proven.

Remind me, do you have any real arguments? Prove it's a lie. Lets see some of your research skills, Jake.

One, your assumption above is false.

Two, you made the assumption, thus the burden is yours to prove.

Three, it is obvious you do not know the basics of adult discussion.

The waste is not the tax - but what the government does with that tax.

Luckily, I use my vote to support a party who I think will prioritize issues that are important to me.

What I don't do is become so selfish that I start whining about money going to schools, simply because I do not have children. I believe in education, so I support the government in funding it.

Taxes in this country are high - I think 24% VAT is too high - but we also have good services and a great deal of freedom, so it's not a bad equation.

Oh brother. I won't even bother. And we pay a VAT tax here? I only thought something like that existed in Europe?

Absolutely, they do.

All parties do what they think is best for the people who vote for them.

The strange thing is that GOP policies largely serves as bloated elite of investment bankers, lawyers and insurance brokers - while somehow tricking the middle classes into thinking they will be better off.

Sheesh...How do explain Obama's "Fat Cat" contributors and political bundlers?

You follow after things that don't exist but contend they are within your reach.

You say parties don't serve their constituents: of course, they do.

You want elsewhere an individual to prove a negative: can't be done.

You merely stumble and mumble and bumble along.

Your failure is this: you twist facts to your pre-conceived view, instead of adjusting your view to the facts.

That is called adulthood.

Prove that they do. How do they serve their constituents?

You consistently attack me without an argument, you contend you are a Republican but contend for highly liberal points of view, you are arrogant and self-gratuitous. You are habitual liar. Once again, where is your argument Jake? I adjust my view to reality, not just your so-called "facts." Facts are things that can be hidden away, concealed and buried, facts can be twisted and distorted. Reality cannot.

You are entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts. Even you should know that. You sit atop a hill and believe it a mountain, looking down on other people who share nothing in common with you. Only foolish men blind themselves to their own inadequacies.

Hey I can go on all morning, Jake. But I have more productive things to do with my day. You're base and pathetic, you can't even argue me, you can only sit there and insult me. Child.

Last edited:

The top two priorities for politicians and parties are fundraising and re-election. Therefore every move they make is calculated specfically to maximize each. The parties' constituents are their politician party members. The politicians' constituents are their campaign contributors.

Surely no one really thinks of these people as "public servants" any more.

As far as this "punishing" thing goes, the GOP fell into this goofy, simplistic hyperbole trap around the time the Tea Party was born. Their overall language seems to be softening somewhat, and they'd better hurry. The clock is ticking.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back