Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

He thinks because someone sped up the video and posted it online, that means it's something difficult and unusual. Yeah, your basic four-wheeler operator couldn't do that in a pickup, let alone a tractor-trailer. But I only drove for a year, and I can remember having to do stuff like that or worse . . . and that was just in training. You've been driving for years.

It's amazing the maneuvers you have to pull off to get into some docks. In the city and even some older towns, the buildings and docks were not designed for a tractor and 53 foot trailer because they weren't invented yet. The trucks that made deliveries back then were all straight trucks.

It's been many years since I took the test, but that video is somewhat similar to one of the things you had to do to pass the test. You had to pass the dock test which was cones set up just like that, and there was only so much room you could pull forward before you could back in. I don't know what the tests are like today.

It's a public message board, shitforbrains. You were talking to EVERYONE.

Seriously, are you sure you're not someone's hillbilly nephew Gomer that they liquored up and brought here for a joke?
Seriously, I'm sure it pays well and thank you for staying straight out there.Hope you can stay healthy, retire young and all that good stuff. Do you drive OTR or what ? If I had a CDL and drove, winter up north would be extremely
frightening for me. I've seen some pretty bad accidents first hand.
baltimore-crash.jpg

I drive locally, but our company covers the entire state of Ohio. Yea, winters are the worst part, especially up by the great lakes, but driving in the summer makes up for all that. Typically I only put on between 150 and 220 miles a day, but across the state, it's usually a 400 mile day or so.

Poor kids in urban environments have far fewer choices than middle class rural kids have.
Most inner-city kids, many with single mothers, can't afford the fees to let their kids play sports even, ( most are so busy working 2 jobs they can't stay home to discipline them either )whereas rural kids largely take it for granted being able to play baseball or soccer. ( that's just one example of the cultural divide)

My kids had guns. They grew up in the country with 4-wheelers and deer rifles.

Once again, you make no sense.

orange-S.jpg

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

Bill Clinton

Here in America, we send elderly men without a record to prison for life for non violent offenses. Guys like Manafort are incarcerated, forcing the prisons to let MS13 Illegal aliens free.

Show us that this is a major problem or even that it happens at all.

Poor kids in urban environments have far fewer choices than middle class rural kids have.
Most inner-city kids, many with single mothers, can't afford the fees to let their kids play sports even, ( most are so busy working 2 jobs they can't stay home to discipline them either )whereas rural kids largely take it for granted being able to play baseball or soccer. ( that's just one example of the cultural divide)

orange-S.jpg

His point was that whites have an advantage over minorities because of their different environments. I disagree with that. After all, how many people of color end up getting in trouble with the law after they discover fortune and fame? Rap guys, professional athletes, actors, you name it. Jussie Smullett is the latest example. If not for that state AG, he would be looking at 17 felony counts against him and probably a long time in prison.

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

Liberals suck. Enough said. You know what you did.

Haha...”men”...huh?
Men commit the most crimes and are most the prison population.

You will find that in any country. However minorities have far more criminals than whites. All you have to do is look at the statistics; one of which I already provided.
Yes, sounds like men are the problem.

As the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig........................
No denying men are the problem.

Shouldn’t we think like intelligent beings we are and break the data down?
If we want to dumb ourselves down out of fear let’s just go with humans are the problem.

Men commit the most crimes and are most the prison population.

You will find that in any country. However minorities have far more criminals than whites. All you have to do is look at the statistics; one of which I already provided.
Yes, sounds like men are the problem.

As the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig........................
No denying men are the problem.

Shouldn’t we think like intelligent beings we are and break the data down?
If we want to dumb ourselves down out of fear let’s just go with humans are the problem.

Brain (ironically) wishes to avoid the issue such as the type of male that's the problem by just saying all males are the problem.

Here in America, we send elderly men without a record to prison for life for non violent offenses. Guys like Manafort are incarcerated, forcing the prisons to let MS13 Illegal aliens free.

There are no MS13 gang members in the prison where Manafort will be going. I am sorry, bt you are blatantly wrong on that point!

He thinks because someone sped up the video and posted it online, that means it's something difficult and unusual. Yeah, your basic four-wheeler operator couldn't do that in a pickup, let alone a tractor-trailer. But I only drove for a year, and I can remember having to do stuff like that or worse . . . and that was just in training. You've been driving for years.

The video is also playing in reverse!

Watch the guys off in the distance! They walk backwards!

orange-S.jpg

His point was that whites have an advantage over minorities because of their different environments. I disagree with that. After all, how many people of color end up getting in trouble with the law after they discover fortune and fame? Rap guys, professional athletes, actors, you name it. Jussie Smullett is the latest example. If not for that state AG, he would be looking at 17 felony counts against him and probably a long time in prison.

How does the saying go? You can take the boy out of the 'hood, but you can't the 'hood out of the boy!

You think that everyone who doesn't do drugs now will start doing them if drugs are decriminalized?

The evidence disagrees

Want to Win the War on Drugs? Portugal Might Have the Answer

Let me ask you: do you think we had more alcohol related deaths during prohibition or after? Did we have more drunk driving accidents and deaths during or after? Did we create more alcoholics during prohibition or after?

Marijuana use in Colorado rises for adults, stays the same for kids

Marijuana-related hospital visits up for adolescents - UCHealth Today

Let me ask you this

Did we have more crime during prohibition ?

People are going to do the drugs they want to do and there will always be a black market for anything the government deems illegal.
Legalize it and it can be regulated and yes taxed. Billions of dollars annually can be saved, the courts will be freed up violent crimes related to the black market will decrease and with just a fraction of the money saved treatment can be offered for those who want it.

Anytime you make something legal that was illegal before, expect more people to participate.

Like I said, 80,000 US deaths last year from overdoses, and you want to see it reach 800,000. Sorry, I don't.

We may never be able to stop drug usage, but we can limit it as much as possible.
We can't even limit it as experience has shown. And as I said Portugal decriminalized all drugs and not only did crime rates decrease overall drug use has decreased

Let people make their own choices

I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with drug users in my time. What they do effects many other people besides themselves. What you don't understand is people with serious problems cannot work any longer. They just sit at the kitchen table staring into space. When they need money for another fix and have no income, where do you suppose they get that money from?
And they do that now.

The thing is if we stop the failed war on drugs we will save billions of dollars annually and a small portion of that money could be used to offer rehab. I does no good to throw addicts in jail.

And as I said in Portugal after decriminalizing all drugs there was a drop in use overall and a drop in crime

Where in this thread did I ever say not to give some sort of punishment?

When you said what I responded to: this:

Justice for getting your car stolen would be getting your car back and getting the damage fixed not throwing someone in jail for more than a year.

Just giving the persons car back that you stole is not punishment.
In previous posts I already mentioned alternate sentencing.

Justice for getting your car stolen would be getting your car back and getting the damage fixed not throwing someone in jail for more than a year.

And that was the one you mentioned.

Let me ask you: do you think we had more alcohol related deaths during prohibition or after? Did we have more drunk driving accidents and deaths during or after? Did we create more alcoholics during prohibition or after?

Marijuana use in Colorado rises for adults, stays the same for kids

Marijuana-related hospital visits up for adolescents - UCHealth Today

Let me ask you this

Did we have more crime during prohibition ?

People are going to do the drugs they want to do and there will always be a black market for anything the government deems illegal.
Legalize it and it can be regulated and yes taxed. Billions of dollars annually can be saved, the courts will be freed up violent crimes related to the black market will decrease and with just a fraction of the money saved treatment can be offered for those who want it.

Anytime you make something legal that was illegal before, expect more people to participate.

Like I said, 80,000 US deaths last year from overdoses, and you want to see it reach 800,000. Sorry, I don't.

We may never be able to stop drug usage, but we can limit it as much as possible.
We can't even limit it as experience has shown. And as I said Portugal decriminalized all drugs and not only did crime rates decrease overall drug use has decreased

Let people make their own choices

I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with drug users in my time. What they do effects many other people besides themselves. What you don't understand is people with serious problems cannot work any longer. They just sit at the kitchen table staring into space. When they need money for another fix and have no income, where do you suppose they get that money from?
And they do that now.

The thing is if we stop the failed war on drugs we will save billions of dollars annually and a small portion of that money could be used to offer rehab. I does no good to throw addicts in jail.

And as I said in Portugal after decriminalizing all drugs there was a drop in use overall and a drop in crime

Then move to Portugal. This is the United States, we are not the same as the people in Portugal. That's why rehab seldom works here. It's been tried. I've seen it countless times. It simply is not the solution to the problem. Yes, that is what they do now, sit there, stare into space until the time for the next fix, and then they break into your car or home looking for drug money. If it were legal, not only would there be more of those people around, but they would still need drug money and still be robbing people to get it.

And that was the one you mentioned.
No. I mentioned more than one previously.

If you read the entire thread you would know that

Forum List

Back