Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

This is an interesting interview about the importance of getting enough sleep and how some people rememeber their dreams more than others and some other cool stuff.

We can't even limit it as experience has shown. And as I said Portugal decriminalized all drugs and not only did crime rates decrease overall drug use has decreased

Let people make their own choices

I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with drug users in my time. What they do effects many other people besides themselves. What you don't understand is people with serious problems cannot work any longer. They just sit at the kitchen table staring into space. When they need money for another fix and have no income, where do you suppose they get that money from?
And they do that now.

The thing is if we stop the failed war on drugs we will save billions of dollars annually and a small portion of that money could be used to offer rehab. I does no good to throw addicts in jail.

And as I said in Portugal after decriminalizing all drugs there was a drop in use overall and a drop in crime

Then move to Portugal. This is the United States, we are not the same as the people in Portugal. That's why rehab seldom works here. It's been tried. I've seen it countless times. It simply is not the solution to the problem. Yes, that is what they do now, sit there, stare into space until the time for the next fix, and then they break into your car or home looking for drug money. If it were legal, not only would there be more of those people around, but they would still need drug money and still be robbing people to get it.

What?

Addiction is different in Portugal?

And rehab works better than prison as our recidivism rate shows.

And you have no proof that there would be more addicts if drugs were legal. People who have never shot up heroin aren't all of a sudden going to try it. When pot was legalized people who never smoked pot didn't all of a sudden become pot heads.

Drug use in this country has remained pretty steady even though we have poured more and more money into enforcing drug laws. The war on drugs has been an abject failure and a colossal waste of money

What do you mean drug use has been steady? What are you reading? The last three years we broke records for overdose deaths. That doesn't sound steady to me.

Opioid addiction is more than sticking a needle in your arm. That usually happens later with addicts who can't get high snorting or smoking the stuff. You get addicted to other opioid pain killers and then start experimenting at that point.

I've tried opioid products before when I was much younger. Didn't do a thing for me. But for other people, one snort, and it opens up a path to total devastation. They gave my father Oxycontin after he had surgery. He threw it away. It was making him sick. He stated he doesn't understand how anybody could tolerate the stuff yet alone get addicted to it.

So like alcohol, like pot, opioid effects different people in different ways. It's just like cigarettes. I can't quit for anything. But I've known people who quit without the least discomfort, and I've known people who quit that started again ten years later because they couldn't' take it anymore.
You do know that the percentage of people who use drugs is not the same as the number of overdoses don't you ?

You don't find it a bit hypocritical that you have no problem with alcohol even though it causes 88,000 deaths annually. You have no problem with cigarettes even though it kills many times more people than alcohol ?

So you want to do the drugs you want to do but no one can do the drugs they want to do unless they agree with you.

Last edited:
I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with drug users in my time. What they do effects many other people besides themselves. What you don't understand is people with serious problems cannot work any longer. They just sit at the kitchen table staring into space. When they need money for another fix and have no income, where do you suppose they get that money from?
And they do that now.

The thing is if we stop the failed war on drugs we will save billions of dollars annually and a small portion of that money could be used to offer rehab. I does no good to throw addicts in jail.

And as I said in Portugal after decriminalizing all drugs there was a drop in use overall and a drop in crime

Then move to Portugal. This is the United States, we are not the same as the people in Portugal. That's why rehab seldom works here. It's been tried. I've seen it countless times. It simply is not the solution to the problem. Yes, that is what they do now, sit there, stare into space until the time for the next fix, and then they break into your car or home looking for drug money. If it were legal, not only would there be more of those people around, but they would still need drug money and still be robbing people to get it.

What?

And you have no proof that there would be more addicts if drugs were legal. People who have never shot up heroin aren't all of a sudden going to try it. When pot was legalized people who never smoked pot didn't all of a sudden become pot heads.

Drug use in this country has remained pretty steady even though we have poured more and more money into enforcing drug laws. The war on drugs has been an abject failure and a colossal waste of money

What do you mean drug use has been steady? What are you reading? The last three years we broke records for overdose deaths. That doesn't sound steady to me.

Opioid addiction is more than sticking a needle in your arm. That usually happens later with addicts who can't get high snorting or smoking the stuff. You get addicted to other opioid pain killers and then start experimenting at that point.

I've tried opioid products before when I was much younger. Didn't do a thing for me. But for other people, one snort, and it opens up a path to total devastation. They gave my father Oxycontin after he had surgery. He threw it away. It was making him sick. He stated he doesn't understand how anybody could tolerate the stuff yet alone get addicted to it.

So like alcohol, like pot, opioid effects different people in different ways. It's just like cigarettes. I can't quit for anything. But I've known people who quit without the least discomfort, and I've known people who quit that started again ten years later because they couldn't' take it anymore.
You do know that the percentage of people who use drugs is not the same as the number of overdoses don't you ?

You don't find it a bit hypocritical that you have no problem with alcohol even though it causes 88,000 deaths annually. You have no problem with cigarettes even though it kills many times more people than alcohol ?

So you want to do the drugs you want to do but no one can do the drugs they want to do unless they agree with you.

The difference is if cigarettes were illegal, you wouldn't be having turf wars in the streets where thousands die every year in gun battles. Nobody would be breaking into your home while on vacation to get money for a bottle of wine.

On a personal note, Years ago I rented to a couple that were on drugs. They paid the rent, but were nothing but a problem otherwise. One night I woke up to screaming because the house was on fire. I grabbed whatever I could find to stay warm (it was February) and dashed out of the smoke filled hallway.

It turns out "somebody" lit the house on fire from the basement. It was too loaded with water after they put out the blaze for the fire department to do an in depth investigation. It was no accident.

That cost my insurance company over 85K to rebuild the house. They dropped my policy exactly one year to the date of the fire (must be some law that prohibited them from doing that earlier). Because their policy was they would not insure other rental property unless your home property was insured with them, they canceled my other policies as well. I had to live at my sisters home for five months.

No insurance company would touch me for three years afterwards. I had to get a temporary policy through the state, and it didn't cover very much if another problem happened. The guy who used drugs didn't have any income, and it's my suspicion that he borrowed drugs with a promise to pay the seller and never did. The fire was started exactly under their bedroom where they slept.

I've just experienced too many tragedies and seen many more because of the use of opioid products. There is nothing that would change my mind about imprisonment or legalization at this point in life. I've known women who's entire family life was ruined because of drugs, people who committed suicide, a cousin who lost her son to dope, and a few occasions where it effected my business and financial affairs.

Now unless you can give me a good story about using dope to get high..............

And they do that now.

What?

The difference is if cigarettes were illegal, you wouldn't be having turf wars in the streets where thousands die every year in gun battles. Nobody would be breaking into your home while on vacation to get money for a bottle of wine.

On a personal note, Years ago I rented to a couple that were on drugs. They paid the rent, but were nothing but a problem otherwise. One night I woke up to screaming because the house was on fire. I grabbed whatever I could find to stay warm (it was February) and dashed out of the smoke filled hallway.

It turns out "somebody" lit the house on fire from the basement. It was too loaded with water after they put out the blaze for the fire department to do an in depth investigation. It was no accident.

That cost my insurance company over 85K to rebuild the house. They dropped my policy exactly one year to the date of the fire (must be some law that prohibited them from doing that earlier). Because their policy was they would not insure other rental property unless your home property was insured with them, they canceled my other policies as well. I had to live at my sisters home for five months.

No insurance company would touch me for three years afterwards. I had to get a temporary policy through the state, and it didn't cover very much if another problem happened. The guy who used drugs didn't have any income, and it's my suspicion that he borrowed drugs with a promise to pay the seller and never did. The fire was started exactly under their bedroom where they slept.

I've just experienced too many tragedies and seen many more because of the use of opioid products. There is nothing that would change my mind about imprisonment or legalization at this point in life. I've known women who's entire family life was ruined because of drugs, people who committed suicide, a cousin who lost her son to dope, and a few occasions where it effected my business and financial affairs.

Now unless you can give me a good story about using dope to get high..............

Are you sure?

Prohibition of anything will create a black market. Black markets run on violence. I only need to point to alcohol as an example.

And people accidentally set their places on fire all the time even without being drug addicts.

How many apartments have caught fire because of space heaters, candles and forgotten cigarettes?

And your last comment is telling.

YOU have experienced too many tragedies involving drugs so you assume everyone will and you want to tell them what to do and how to live their lives.

You are free to make your own chices but you are not free to force your choices on others.

Our Second Amendment expressly declares what is Necessary to the security of our free States.

What?

Are you sure?

Prohibition of anything will create a black market. Black markets run on violence. I only need to point to alcohol as an example.

And people accidentally set their places on fire all the time even without being drug addicts.

How many apartments have caught fire because of space heaters, candles and forgotten cigarettes?

YOU have experienced too many tragedies involving drugs so you assume everyone will and you want to tell them what to do and how to live their lives.

You are free to make your own chices but you are not free to force your choices on others.

Fires don't just start by themselves in the basement, especially at 3:00 am on Monday.

Yes, prohibition creates black markets, however how many people die a year because of cigarettes and alcohol today? If we had prohibition on those two items, do you think more or less would die?

You can't put out a fire with gasoline.

I don't care what anybody does as long as they don't bother me. But again, legalizing drugs doesn't stop the problem. It will only increase the amount of addicts and overdoses. Legalizing it won't stop the black market. Just look at the states that have legalized pot. They jack up the taxes so high that people look for other sources and continue to buy illegal pot as they always have.

I remember years ago when it was promised that if we passed the lottery bill, it would increase school revenue and eliminate illegal gambling. Well guess what? I didn't do either. The state reduced funds equal to the amount the schools got from the lottery, and the mob simply increased their payout and now use the lottery numbers for their own games.

What?

Are you sure?

Fires don't just start by themselves in the basement, especially at 3:00 am on Monday.

Yes, prohibition creates black markets, however how many people die a year because of cigarettes and alcohol today? If we had prohibition on those two items, do you think more or less would die?

I don't care what anybody does as long as they don't bother me. But again, legalizing drugs doesn't stop the problem. It will only increase the amount of addicts and overdoses. Legalizing it won't stop the black market. Just look a the states that have legalized pot. They jack up the taxes so high that people look for other sources and continue to buy illegal pot as they always have.

I remember years ago when it was promised that if we passed the lottery bill, it would increase school revenue and eliminate illegal gambling. Well guess what? I didn't do either. The state reduced funds equal to the amount the schools got from the lottery, and the mob simply increased their payout and now use the lottery numbers for their own games.

I hate to tell you this but fires can start by themselves it's called spontaneous combustion.

And so what if it was 3 AM? Does a person have to be a drug addled addict to use a space heater, or to fall asleep with a candle burning too close to something combustible, or to fall asleep with s cigarette?

You want to blame everything under the sun on drugs.

Are you sure?

I don't care what anybody does as long as they don't bother me. But again, legalizing drugs doesn't stop the problem. It will only increase the amount of addicts and overdoses. Legalizing it won't stop the black market. Just look a the states that have legalized pot. They jack up the taxes so high that people look for other sources and continue to buy illegal pot as they always have.

I hate to tell you this but fires can start by themselves it's called spontaneous combustion.

And so what if it was 3 AM? Does a person have to be a drug addled addict to use a space heater, or to fall asleep with a candle burning too close to something combustible, or to fall asleep with s cigarette?

Don't you think the fire department knows about those things? They pointed out where the fire originated and no explanation for how it could have started. It wasn't near the hot water tanks, not near the furnaces, and no candles or space heaters near the area, no combustable products either. It was started by somebody who ignited the contents in a garbage can and built the fire so it was large enough to reach the first floor.

This house stood here for over 100 years with no problems. And all of a sudden when drug users move in, it magically almost burns down.

Because we offer the greatest liberties and punishment for those who abuse them.

we do have the 3rd or so largest population
for your hypothesis to hold water, you need to prove largest PER CAPITA

Are you sure?

Don't you think the fire department knows about those things? They pointed out where the fire originated and no explanation for how it could have started. It wasn't near the hot water tanks, not near the furnaces, and no candles or space heaters near the area, no combustable products either. It was started by somebody who ignited the contents in a garbage can and built the fire so it was large enough to reach the first floor.

This house stood here for over 100 years with no problems. And all of a sudden when drug users move in, it magically almost burns down.

So it was arson. You have not given any proof that drugs were the cause of the fire.

Probably because the USA has the most lawyers...

A very real possibility.

Too Many Lawyers: The Legal Profession Needs A Cull

How the Fuck Are There Too Many Lawyers?
Alright, so a while back I wrote in a post about how there were approximately 1,315,000 licensed and practicing attorneys in the United States. There are roughly 321,400,000 people in general in the United States. That comes out to about 1 lawyer for every 244 people in the United States. That means that when you’re in a crowded theater, you’re guaranteed to be sitting in a room with at least 1-3 lawyers, depending on the size of the venue. If someone trips down the stairs at a 30,000 stadium from a little too much beer, 122 lawyers could come rushing out the woodwork to hand out business cards.

for every criminal, you need 3 lawyers--a defense attorney, a prosecutor, and a judge. Without the availability of any of the 3, the justice system doesn't work. (Yes I know people can represent themselves so spare me technocratic responses).

A very real possibility.

Alright, so a while back I wrote in a post about how there were approximately 1,315,000 licensed and practicing attorneys in the United States. There are roughly 321,400,000 people in general in the United States. That comes out to about 1 lawyer for every 244 people in the United States. That means that when you’re in a crowded theater, you’re guaranteed to be sitting in a room with at least 1-3 lawyers, depending on the size of the venue. If someone trips down the stairs at a 30,000 stadium from a little too much beer, 122 lawyers could come rushing out the woodwork to hand out business cards.

for every criminal, you need 3 lawyers--a defense attorney, a prosecutor, and a judge. Without the availability of any of the 3, the justice system doesn't work. (Yes I know people can represent themselves so spare me technocratic responses).

Why would you need three lawyers? This isn't the OJ case we're talking about here.

Are you sure?

So it was arson. You have not given any proof that drugs were the cause of the fire.

Correct. Some lone arsonist decided to light it on fire and never did it again. Just ignore the obvious in a failed attempt to support your argument.

A very real possibility.

Why would you need three lawyers? This isn't the OJ case we're talking about here.

Judges are lawyers, prosecutors are lawyers and defense attorneys are lawyers. That equals 3 lawyers.

Forum List

Back