Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

right, why don't we have a war on drugs and just say no? Portugal is relevant we should give up this war and give people treatment. all of a sudden Honduras Guatemala and El Salvador are a lot more livable.

Your ignorance about the Drug Court is not surprising.

Saying Portugal, an entire country with a smaller population than one of our cities is likewise, not surprising coming from a tired ol' Troll.
The principle is the same. Why can you not see it ? Decriminalise drugs. Slap a tax on drugs to fund rehab schemes. You could also use the money saved by having empty jails.
Central American countries have a legal export and become better places to live and so immigration is not an issue.

Less crime,less prisons, less gangs - its all good.

Except for the fact that it doesn't work.

In states that have legalized pot, illegal pot is still available. They taxed it so high that people opted to buy the non-government pot at a cheaper price. Also because like tobacco, pot has an age restriction. So kids buy it off other kids just like when I went to school.

So legalizing and taxing dangerous narcotic will not solve the gang or prison problem we have. In fact it would only make things worse.
So you could lower the tax rate ? Its not complicated Ray. You put a man on the moon . This isnt a problem.

I don't think you'll ever knock out competition. Competition just finds better ways to compete.

Many years ago the lottery proposal was an issue. It had to be approved by the voters. What they promised is that we would eliminate illegal gambling if the lottery was passed; it would knock out the mob.

That didn't happen. Several years afterwards I got a job at a store that was also running numbers for the mob. That phone was ringing off the hook. What the mob did to combat the lottery is use their numbers to run their games, and offered a better payout. If anything, the lottery helped the illegal gambling because you didn't just learn about the winning number from the people you bought the number from, you actually seen it on television and knew it was totally legit.
Legalising alcohol didnt cause the same issues.

Why is it you can't understand that we could do the same thing Portugal did on a state by state basis?
And people get sent to prison for possession all the time. It just depends on how much they have on them at the time

Right, if they're a dealer, they go to prison. In China, India and other countries, they get shot.

YEah we should just shoot people right on the street for selling drugs

right, why don't we have a war on drugs and just say no? Portugal is relevant we should give up this war and give people treatment. all of a sudden Honduras Guatemala and El Salvador are a lot more livable.

Saying Portugal, an entire country with a smaller population than one of our cities is likewise, not surprising coming from a tired ol' Troll.

Just because you don't understand how to scale programs up to suit a larger population doesn't mean it can't be done.

You do it by state, in larger states you do it by county, it isn't that complicated

He thinks because someone sped up the video and posted it online, that means it's something difficult and unusual. Yeah, your basic four-wheeler operator couldn't do that in a pickup, let alone a tractor-trailer. But I only drove for a year, and I can remember having to do stuff like that or worse . . . and that was just in training. You've been driving for years.

It's amazing the maneuvers you have to pull off to get into some docks. In the city and even some older towns, the buildings and docks were not designed for a tractor and 53 foot trailer because they weren't invented yet. The trucks that made deliveries back then were all straight trucks.

It's been many years since I took the test, but that video is somewhat similar to one of the things you had to do to pass the test. You had to pass the dock test which was cones set up just like that, and there was only so much room you could pull forward before you could back in. I don't know what the tests are like today.

When I went through, you learned to alley dock, serpentine, and parallel park primarily, I guess because they figured if you knew those techniques, you could adjust them to fit anything. I was told that in Boston, most of the docks are designed for trailers that open on the side, rather than in back, and that was the primary reason we learned to parallel park the truck.

I honestly wondered sometimes if the guys who designed some of the loading docks had ever SEEN a tractor-trailer, or if they were possibly just high when they did it. I remember one that had landscaping (!) taking up half the space that would normally be available, so you basically had to back the truck around a one-lane dogleg on the passenger side of the truck. One wrong move, and your tractor was up over a curve and down into a landscaped ditch. Whoever came up with that had to be insane. I lost count of the number of times I had to serpentine the truck through cars in a shopping mall parking lot because the parking spaces ran right up next to the dock.

From what I've been told, they got rid of the parallel parking and serpentine some time ago. I think most people were failing that. I think they were receiving a lot of complaints about the test in general.

I knew a driver that got a speeding ticket on his motorcycle in another state. He paid the fine, but nobody told him about some ridiculous reinstatement fee. He got pulled over in his car one day and the officer told him his license was suspended because of that. The officer understood the situation, so he didn't write him a ticket or tow his car.

Because his license was suspended for so long and he had no idea, he had to take the CDL test all over again. They failed him, and he was a guy that was driving well over 20 years.

I didn't find it all that hard to pass the test, and I can't imagine how anyone would feel comfortable controlling a semi without those skills, but what do I know? I don't drive anymore.

I can't think of one time I needed to serpentine for any reason, and very few times have I ever needed to parallel park, but then again I don't make many stops at rest areas where that's about the only place you would need such a skill.

I was told by the instructor/ tester that those were required to show you have some command over the trailer, not that I would be facing those situations very much.

In our company, we promote instead of hiring from outside. We train our straight truck drivers to take the test and be prepared in case one of us takes the day off or go on vacation. If things get busy enough, my employer adds a truck to the fleet.

The last driver we promoted was a natural at it. He flunked the test on the first attempt. He did everything perfect except on the road test, he slightly went over a curb when making a turn. Typical of government. Going over curbs is part of tractor-trailer driving. There is no law that a city or state must make provisions for us to make a turn, so going over the curb is the only way to do it.

Yeah, my instructor told me I wouldn't have to use them, either, and then I found myself threading the damned trailer through parked cars. :rolleyes: Of course, I was also the person who had to go over Donner Pass at night in a snowstorm on my training cruise. If there's a crazy-ass situation out there, it always finds me.

The principle is the same. Why can you not see it ? Decriminalise drugs. Slap a tax on drugs to fund rehab schemes. You could also use the money saved by having empty jails.
Central American countries have a legal export and become better places to live and so immigration is not an issue.

In states that have legalized pot, illegal pot is still available. They taxed it so high that people opted to buy the non-government pot at a cheaper price. Also because like tobacco, pot has an age restriction. So kids buy it off other kids just like when I went to school.

So legalizing and taxing dangerous narcotic will not solve the gang or prison problem we have. In fact it would only make things worse.
So you could lower the tax rate ? Its not complicated Ray. You put a man on the moon . This isnt a problem.

I don't think you'll ever knock out competition. Competition just finds better ways to compete.

Many years ago the lottery proposal was an issue. It had to be approved by the voters. What they promised is that we would eliminate illegal gambling if the lottery was passed; it would knock out the mob.

That didn't happen. Several years afterwards I got a job at a store that was also running numbers for the mob. That phone was ringing off the hook. What the mob did to combat the lottery is use their numbers to run their games, and offered a better payout. If anything, the lottery helped the illegal gambling because you didn't just learn about the winning number from the people you bought the number from, you actually seen it on television and knew it was totally legit.

Opioid products don't have taste to it nor is it a social thing. Plus alcohol in spite of the taxes is relatively cheap. You can't fit a half million dollars of moon shine in your car and drive across state or country lines. You can with dope.

I'm not sure they should legalize/sell stuff like heroin and cocaine. Nonetheless, it was legal in the 19th century and part of the 20th.

Still Better than Most Homeless Shelters I see! Should piss people Off! God Bless Me and God Bless You and rattle a can and you're going into a freaking zoo, here's a locker for possessions, there's a mat on the Ground 6 inches not a foot apart from a Bunk Bed. You could probably commit crimes for treatment down there. That's why there's gangs at the gates to the places ,right, I have no Idea, maybe you check in for jailtime alternative, I don't run any of that.

Opioid products don't have taste to it nor is it a social thing. Plus alcohol in spite of the taxes is relatively cheap. You can't fit a half million dollars of moon shine in your car and drive across state or country lines. You can with dope.
The price of drugs would plummet. You wouldnt be able to smuggle enough to make a profit.

I'm not sure they should legalize/sell stuff like heroin and cocaine. Nonetheless, it was legal in the 19th century and part of the 20th.
It needs to be managed. I am friendly with one of the new Police Commissioners and he is desperate for the change.

Why is it you can't understand that we could do the same thing Portugal did on a state by state basis?
And people get sent to prison for possession all the time. It just depends on how much they have on them at the time

Right, if they're a dealer, they go to prison. In China, India and other countries, they get shot.

YEah we should just shoot people right on the street for selling drugs

You claim too many go to prison for being drug dealers, and you point to other countries who have fewer people in prison as a goal. Their solution is that they shoot and kill drug dealers. If that's what you want, it's okay with me.

How about that? We agree on something! YEA!

The price of drugs would plummet. You wouldnt be able to smuggle enough to make a profit.

Sure you would after the state gets done taxing the stuff. Just like pot here in states that legally have it. People are choosing the cheaper illegal pot instead.

Sure you would after the state gets done taxing the stuff. Just like pot here in states that legally have it. People are choosing the cheaper illegal pot instead.
Who says? Link please

Who says? Link please
At any rate they will stop arresting people for possession.

Who says? Link please

When recreational marijuana went on sale in Colorado in 2014, the government's goal was to regulate and tax a drug that was already widely used and to squeeze out dealers and traffickers in the process.

But law enforcement authorities in the state say legalization has done the exact opposite.

Even though there are more than 500 recreational marijuana dispensaries in the state, the black market is booming. It's being driven by criminal organizations that grow weed in Colorado and smuggle their crop into states where it is still illegal and can be sold for a much greater profit.

The black market hasn't gone away within the state, either, because some marijuana users are deterred by the higher dispensary prices and are loyal to their long-time dealers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colorado-marijuana-black-market-1.4647198

Typical far left fantasy thinking.

In the real world Tommy Tainant, black market marijuana is cheaper than "legal" retail marijuana due to the massive taxes all the states where it is legal, have heaped on pot.

How do you know where I bought my pot? Is it legal or illegal?

I love Maker's Mark Select Bourbon but I usually buy Woodferd Reserve. If I could buy either for 20-25% less than at my liquor store, where would I buy my booze?

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

Primarily , because of the Theocratic state civil war against "drug" users

American Religionists aka Anglo Saxon Sharia vs Drug Users

Murder, Injuries, incarceration decimation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments have been the order of the day

But clueless motherfuckers like "protectionist" approve of the miscarriage of justice so long as the perpetrators are White Europeans . He would only object if the perpetrators were the stinking Muslims.

And so it goes

Who says? Link please

When recreational marijuana went on sale in Colorado in 2014, the government's goal was to regulate and tax a drug that was already widely used and to squeeze out dealers and traffickers in the process.

But law enforcement authorities in the state say legalization has done the exact opposite.

Even though there are more than 500 recreational marijuana dispensaries in the state, the black market is booming. It's being driven by criminal organizations that grow weed in Colorado and smuggle their crop into states where it is still illegal and can be sold for a much greater profit.

The black market hasn't gone away within the state, either, because some marijuana users are deterred by the higher dispensary prices and are loyal to their long-time dealers.

your second paragraph doesn't even agree with your first paragraph.. Do you have a real news media link LOL? I'm sure the black market hasn't gone away totally....

Who says? Link please

That had nothing to do with running out the black market. It was a bunch of white boys that didn't like the way dealer sounded.

Typical far left fantasy thinking.

In the real world Tommy Tainant, black market marijuana is cheaper than "legal" retail marijuana due to the massive taxes all the states where it is legal, have heaped on pot.

How do you know where I bought my pot? Is it legal or illegal?

I love Maker's Mark Select Bourbon but I usually buy Woodferd Reserve. If I could buy either for 20-25% less than at my liquor store, where would I buy my booze?
I don't believe you're alternative facts anyway I've seen price list in California there on the internet and they seem pretty cheap to me.

Forum List

Back