Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

Opioid products don't have taste to it nor is it a social thing. Plus alcohol in spite of the taxes is relatively cheap. You can't fit a half million dollars of moon shine in your car and drive across state or country lines. You can with dope.
The price of drugs would plummet. You wouldnt be able to smuggle enough to make a profit.

Sure you would after the state gets done taxing the stuff. Just like pot here in states that legally have it. People are choosing the cheaper illegal pot instead.
Who says? Link please

When recreational marijuana went on sale in Colorado in 2014, the government's goal was to regulate and tax a drug that was already widely used and to squeeze out dealers and traffickers in the process.

But law enforcement authorities in the state say legalization has done the exact opposite.

Even though there are more than 500 recreational marijuana dispensaries in the state, the black market is booming. It's being driven by criminal organizations that grow weed in Colorado and smuggle their crop into states where it is still illegal and can be sold for a much greater profit.

The black market hasn't gone away within the state, either, because some marijuana users are deterred by the higher dispensary prices and are loyal to their long-time dealers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colorado-marijuana-black-market-1.4647198
your second paragraph doesn't even agree with your first paragraph.. Do you have a real news media link LOL? I'm sure the black market hasn't gone away totally....

CBS is not a real news source? Why don't you try reading the article instead of just looking at the link?

Why is it you can't understand that we could do the same thing Portugal did on a state by state basis?
And people get sent to prison for possession all the time. It just depends on how much they have on them at the time

Right, if they're a dealer, they go to prison. In China, India and other countries, they get shot.

YEah we should just shoot people right on the street for selling drugs

You claim too many go to prison for being drug dealers, and you point to other countries who have fewer people in prison as a goal. Their solution is that they shoot and kill drug dealers. If that's what you want, it's okay with me.

How about that? We agree on something! YEA!

No I said most people are in jail for nonviolent crimes.

A profit motive under our form of Capitalism.

For-profit prisons should be considered immoral with our Second Amendment.

The price of drugs would plummet. You wouldnt be able to smuggle enough to make a profit.

Sure you would after the state gets done taxing the stuff. Just like pot here in states that legally have it. People are choosing the cheaper illegal pot instead.
Who says? Link please

When recreational marijuana went on sale in Colorado in 2014, the government's goal was to regulate and tax a drug that was already widely used and to squeeze out dealers and traffickers in the process.

But law enforcement authorities in the state say legalization has done the exact opposite.

Even though there are more than 500 recreational marijuana dispensaries in the state, the black market is booming. It's being driven by criminal organizations that grow weed in Colorado and smuggle their crop into states where it is still illegal and can be sold for a much greater profit.

The black market hasn't gone away within the state, either, because some marijuana users are deterred by the higher dispensary prices and are loyal to their long-time dealers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colorado-marijuana-black-market-1.4647198
your second paragraph doesn't even agree with your first paragraph.. Do you have a real news media link LOL? I'm sure the black market hasn't gone away totally....

CBS is not a real news source? Why don't you try reading the article instead of just looking at the link?
That is not CBS, that is CBC, another fake news Outlet, super duper. And the article is no longer than the quote you gave... Don't you ever get tired of being absolutely wrong?

Why is it you can't understand that we could do the same thing Portugal did on a state by state basis?
And people get sent to prison for possession all the time. It just depends on how much they have on them at the time

Right, if they're a dealer, they go to prison. In China, India and other countries, they get shot.

You claim too many go to prison for being drug dealers, and you point to other countries who have fewer people in prison as a goal. Their solution is that they shoot and kill drug dealers. If that's what you want, it's okay with me.

Once again, you're wrong. Surprise, surprise!

lockedup_pie-L.jpg

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

What crimes in that pie chart are violent crimes?
Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

Is "other" a violent crime?

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

So...in your opinion criminals who commit burglary and deal drugs should not be put in prison? What should be done with them?

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

So...in your opinion criminals who commit burglary and deal drugs should not be put in prison? What should be done with them?

There are plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing.

And I don't think drugs should be illegal at all. Decriminalizing all drugs would reduce the prison population by half

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

And I don't think drugs should be illegal at all. Decriminalizing all drugs would reduce the prison population by half

Specifically what are those "plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing".

Legalizing all drugs is stupid. Just stupid and childish. Legalizing murder, robbery, and assault would reduce the prison population too.

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

And at least double the overdose deaths and addictions. However if we were ever to go in that direction, the first thing we'd have to do is shore up our welfare system. Nobody gets on it who are physically capable of holding a job. I don't want to pay for all these strung out MF's as I'm paying for enough people to sit home and watch their big screens as it is.

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

Specifically what are those "plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing".

Legalizing all drugs is stupid. Just stupid and childish. Legalizing murder, robbery, and assault would reduce the prison population too.

Taking drugs is a personal choice. A person who does drugs is not violating any of your rights a person who murders is. There is a glaring difference between the two.

Decriminalize drugs and you also put an end to much of the violence associated with the illicit drug trade.

What's childish is needing to be told by the government what to do and what not to do because you can't control yourself.

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

And at least double the overdose deaths and addictions. However if we were ever to go in that direction, the first thing we'd have to do is shore up our welfare system. Nobody gets on it who are physically capable of holding a job. I don't want to pay for all these strung out MF's as I'm paying for enough people to sit home and watch their big screens as it is.

Isn't it strange how Portugal decriminalized all drugs and saw addiction rates drop?
The courts were freed up from the lag jam of drug cases, so much money was saved that a small percentage of it was used to offer rehab and both addiction rates and overdoses decreased significantly.

ANd don't try to tell me that won't work here because Portugal is a small country as we can implement it by state, city or town

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

Isn't it strange how Portugal decriminalized all drugs and saw addiction rates drop?
The courts were freed up from the lag jam of drug cases, so much money was saved that a small percentage of it was used to offer rehab and both addiction rates and overdoses decreased significantly.

ANd don't try to tell me that won't work here because Portugal is a small country as we can implement it by state, city or town

The problem in our country is people selling drugs more than using them. Not many of our citizens today are in prison for drug use alone. Most that involve drug possession are in there for other crimes; some that are associated with possession, and others that are associated with usage such as breaking and entering or other theft.

I don't know anything about Portugal, so I looked it up. According to this article, legalizing drugs was not really making drugs legal. It's still illegal to sell drugs, police confiscate any drugs when found, and it only shifted the burden of addicts from prison to treatment centers. That last was the only thing that really changed.

Did Portugal Really Legalize All Drugs?

REally?

Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

The problem in our country is people selling drugs more than using them. Not many of our citizens today are in prison for drug use alone. Most that involve drug possession are in there for other crimes; some that are associated with possession, and others that are associated with usage such as breaking and entering or other theft.

I don't know anything about Portugal, so I looked it up. According to this article, legalizing drugs was not really making drugs legal. It's still illegal to sell drugs, police confiscate any drugs when found, and it only shifted the burden of addicts from prison to treatment centers. That last was the only thing that really changed.

you have to possess drugs before you can use them so getting put in jail for possession is not really any different than getting put on jail for using

you have to possess drugs before you can use them so getting put in jail for possession is not really any different than getting put on jail for using

I haven’t looked this up....is there a correlation between drug usage, criminal activity and welfare dependency?

Again, that depends on the amount. Virtually nobody is in prison for using pot. Now if you have enough of it; by government standards--for sale, then yes, you will end up in prison. But again, it's not that much different in Portugal.

The real problem we have are drugs getting into the country in the first place. Most of our heroin comes from Mexico, and Democrats fight tooth and nail to keep those borders open. Fentanyl mostly comes via US mail and is sent here from China. I can't believe we have no ability to control that.

I have just seen too many problems from drug users in my time; one nearly burned my house to the ground. I've also lost a family member to overdose a few years ago. He was hooked since the age of 15 and died at 28. He was in rehab several times in his life and to be quite honest, I've never known anybody that went to rehab for the hard stuff and fully recovered. They do quit for a time, but start all over again when they can no longer fight the urge.

The article I posted points out that their biggest success is through education. They put strong emphasis on drug usage in school. You can't get hooked on something you've never had before.

Your source and link certainly destroy our far left Progressive Blues Man's foolish argument.

Your source and link certainly destroy our far left Progressive Blues Man's foolish argument.

It didn't make any sense when he wrote it. No matter what you make legal, more people will be involved in it. We had prohibition in this country. Yes, some people still drank, but do we have more alcoholics today than back then or the other way around?

If we legalized all drugs in this country and found it to be a total disaster, there is very little way to reverse it because many more people would be hooked. Making it illegal again would create criminals out of all those poor souls who would find alternatives to getting the drug.

Forum List

Back