Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

Not the point. The harm done in that crime is enough to warrant prison time.

I disagree.

theft is not a violent crime and alternative sentencing is acceptable

For whom? Screw alternative sentencing. You got your roll out in policy nationwide. What that policy says is that if you live in poverty or are working class or lower middle class then people can rip you off and there is no justice. Auto theft can bring a house down. I don't need that to be violent.

The only violent car theft is car jacking. If someone steals your car when you are not in it it is not a violent crime.

And how many people have you known that have lost their house because a car got stolen?

Doesn't need to be violent for them to go to prison. I have known enough people to watch that slide. Lost their jobs, lost their homes.

Steal money from a bank? You're going to prison.

There is an income bracket where that vehicle is their bank.

Lost their home because a car was stolen?

Bullshit.

Bank robbery is a federal crime car theft isn't.

Pffttt. Dude, I got nothing to prove to you. It's called living pay check to pay check. For clarification, renting not owning.

Robbery indicates violence. Let's look at embezzlement which falls under both state and federal laws.

I remind you that the people are in a social contract.

...Lost their home because a car was stolen? Bullshit...
I can totally see that happening.

How many families are running on the ragged edge, paycheck to paycheck, praying that nothing major goes wrong?

Something "major" like losing their one-and-only car... uninsured... or under-insured... or victims of cheap, slippery insurance...

• You're damned-near broke...
  • Your car gets stolen...
  • You can't replace it...
  • You can't get to your pissant job...
  • You get fired for absenteeism...
  • You can't easily find another job...
  • You've got nobody else to turn to for financial help...
  • The bills pile up...
  • The mortgage or rent goes past due... badly past due
  • You're served with foreclosure or eviction papers...
  • You fail to defend yourself adequately...
  • You're on the street...

---------

What's so difficult to believe about that?

I'm guessing it happens often enough...
If you're that poor your car is probably a POS and unlikely to get stolen

I disagree.

theft is not a violent crime and alternative sentencing is acceptable

For whom? Screw alternative sentencing. You got your roll out in policy nationwide. What that policy says is that if you live in poverty or are working class or lower middle class then people can rip you off and there is no justice. Auto theft can bring a house down. I don't need that to be violent.

The only violent car theft is car jacking. If someone steals your car when you are not in it it is not a violent crime.

And how many people have you known that have lost their house because a car got stolen?

Doesn't need to be violent for them to go to prison. I have known enough people to watch that slide. Lost their jobs, lost their homes.

Steal money from a bank? You're going to prison.

There is an income bracket where that vehicle is their bank.

Lost their home because a car was stolen?

Bullshit.

Bank robbery is a federal crime car theft isn't.

Pffttt. Dude, I got nothing to prove to you. It's called living pay check to pay check. For clarification, renting not owning.

Robbery indicates violence. Let's look at embezzlement which falls under both state and federal laws.

I remind you that the people are in a social contract.

Look up the definition of violence and get back to me

I’m
Going to jail this week for 6 years.. and I’m white
Nobody goes to jail for six years. You're going to prison. The longest I've ever been incarcerated is 8 months.

What the hell did you do anyways?
Beat up some libtards last year might have violated probation
Is it really worth it being a hot head, wasting your life getting locked in a cage?
What would Sam Adams say hmmm

I’m
Going to jail this week for 6 years.. and I’m white
Nobody goes to jail for six years. You're going to prison. The longest I've ever been incarcerated is 8 months.

What the hell did you do anyways?
Beat up some libtards last year might have violated probation
Is it really worth it being a hot head, wasting your life getting locked in a cage?
What would Sam Adams say hmmm
<belch>
Hit 'im again. I got nothin better to do with my life than spend it locked in a cage.

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

America doesn't put up with the shit that other countries do.

It may seem "shocking" to you , but the rise in incarceration rates over the past 50 years has corresponded with a fall in violent crime.

In the world of crime, there are a lot of Good Earners that go out and commit a lot of crime. Get those guys off the street, the streets become a lot more peaceful

Now that's a great idea. Currently, over 80,000 (mostly young) Americans die from overdoses in the US a year. That's not including the ones who barely escaped death and were rescued. This costs taxpayers a lot of money. Now if we legalized recreational narcotics, perhaps we can get that death toll to 200,000, 400,000, maybe three million a year.

Now that's what I call progress.........until it's your own family member that becomes part of those statistics.

You think that everyone who doesn't do drugs now will start doing them if drugs are decriminalized?

The evidence disagrees

Want to Win the War on Drugs? Portugal Might Have the Answer
Portugal is definitely on the right track.
I disagree with legalizing all drugs like heroin and meth, but decriminalizing them and providing more treatment alternatives would be a huge step forward from the dark ages we're currently in. It's already happening gradually with cannabis - that's a start- better late than never.

Who Are The Top 5 Lobby Groups Fighting Legal Cannabis?

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

You have to decide whether you want a lot of people in prison, or a very high unsolved crime rate. We fortunately have the best investigators in the world, so we catch a lot more criminals than other countries. Our high prison rates are a good thing.

Although I somewhat agree with you I also think the time should fit the crime.
Young people experimenting with drugs is nothing new. If private owned prisons were around back then at least 7 out of 10 in the 60s & 70s would have went to prison.
I am totally against any private run prison system.
America is not what it use to be when capitalism was capitalism before big biz took over our nation and dictated their wishes to our corrupt leadership on both parties.
I don't and never have liked or did drugs so no bias.

There is the problem with your theory: Currently judges are pressured to send only the most violent offenders or repeat offenders to prison. Why? Because we have such little prison space to put them. At least over here, that resulted in more serious crimes because an offender just clipped off their ankle bracelet and decided to get even with the person(s) responsible for their conviction even though it was house arrest.

In short, private prisons are not looking for more prisoners, and even if they were, our police, judges or juries would not be part of the action. The problem in the US is not too few offenders of law, our problem is too many.

Not blaming the cops on the street for anything, they have it bad enough. Many are leaving because of judges letting ' the ones who can afford it' go free. Cops on the other hand are getting out and new recruits are not aplying.and no telling who will be replacing them.
Many of the judges are a whole other story, they go into politics.

Because there is a culture of entitlement and a lack of respect for the law, and the enforcement thereof.

You have to decide whether you want a lot of people in prison, or a very high unsolved crime rate. We fortunately have the best investigators in the world, so we catch a lot more criminals than other countries. Our high prison rates are a good thing.

Although I somewhat agree with you I also think the time should fit the crime.
Young people experimenting with drugs is nothing new. If private owned prisons were around back then at least 7 out of 10 in the 60s & 70s would have went to prison.
I am totally against any private run prison system.
America is not what it use to be when capitalism was capitalism before big biz took over our nation and dictated their wishes to our corrupt leadership on both parties.
I don't and never have liked or did drugs so no bias.

There is the problem with your theory: Currently judges are pressured to send only the most violent offenders or repeat offenders to prison. Why? Because we have such little prison space to put them. At least over here, that resulted in more serious crimes because an offender just clipped off their ankle bracelet and decided to get even with the person(s) responsible for their conviction even though it was house arrest.

In short, private prisons are not looking for more prisoners, and even if they were, our police, judges or juries would not be part of the action. The problem in the US is not too few offenders of law, our problem is too many.

Not blaming the cops on the street for anything, they have it bad enough. Many are leaving because of judges letting ' the ones who can afford it' go free. Cops on the other hand are getting out and new recruits are not aplying.and no telling who will be replacing them.
Many of the judges are a whole other story, they go into politics.

Smollett.....

Any questions?

Because there is a culture of entitlement and a lack of respect for the law, and the enforcement thereof.
With Uncle Sam constantly breaking international laws as their mentor, who can blame them ?

It is strange how the politicians go into office middle income and come out ultra rich millionaires and billionaires. Even their families come our smelling like a rose from their ' service '. So tell me who is being served and who is being servant.
"its a club and you ain't in it" George Carlon RIP. [ he did have a filthy mouth but guess you can do worse. ]

We have the largest prison population in the world because we actually arrest and incarcerate criminals.

Forum List

Back