Why I Am Not A Christian

I've seen God every time I've been blessed to be humbled enough to recognize acts of compassion that would make Jesus say "I should have started my ministry much earlier than at 30 years of age."

Have you ever really contemplated God or does it too often get in the way of adding another notch to your cotton candy soapbox? Maddy roughly explained my position regarding anthropomorphism.

so
is your god going to burn billions of people in hell forever is they have sex outside of marriage?
or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

and how do you manage to reconcile your belief that slavery is wrong while god insists that slavery is ok?

I assume, of course, that you do disagree with god on this issue....

how do you feel telling god he/she is wrong about slavery?

are you afraid of eternal punishment?

If you keep this up some government genius bureaucrat is going to find a way to make people get an operator's license for trolling like we have driver's licenses for cars.

trolling?

I am not trolling

I am asking reasonable questions that you are obviously either too stupid to understand or afraid to answer

is your god going to burn billions of people in hell forever is they have sex outside of marriage?
or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

and how do you manage to reconcile your belief that slavery is wrong while god insists that slavery is ok?

All this boils down to one thing.

The arrogance of man.

Who's being irrational? This all boils down to, "If there was a God, he would do things MY WAY. But, since things aren't being done my way, there can't be a God."

Did it EVER occur to you, that just because things are out of YOUR control, it doesn't mean it's out of God's control?

Stop projecting. It cracks me up. People think they are being soooooooooooooo philosophical with these objections, when what they are really being is INFANTILE.

It's all about ME! Things aren't going as the great I ME MINE would like it, so there is no God.

The little secret here is these people think THEY should be God.

Boo hoo hoo. There's suffering in the world?

Well DUH!!!!!!!! Where did God (in the Bible) ever say there wouldn't be?

Unbelievable. Grow up!

teapartysamurai, anyone who believes they are God is mentally ill. The existence of evil in the world has fascinated every philospher since Man crawled out of the Primordial Ooze. I think NOT asking questions is a betrayal of the Divine every one of us carries within -- we are gifted with a consciousness, and we are expected to USE it.

I am bumfuddled by people like you who seem to believe that learning, knowledge and amareness are somehow anti-God. What is the value you perceive in ignorance?

Here is another example.

Making up an argument that I did not make.

Where did I say you cannot question??????

But you didn't question in the op. You MADE CONCLUSIONS and stated that you can closed your MIND to the possibility of God, because God wasn't doing things your way.

That's not questioning. That's closing your mind to questions.

You don't think I question suffering in this world?

The difference between you and me is, I haven't closed my mind off to the answers simply because I may not LIKE the answer.

Don't pretend otherwise. The title of your op and your entire op made it plain. You have closed your mind off to the existence of God, BECAUSE things aren't how you think they should be.

That's not questioning, that's narrowing and closing your mind.

Nice try.

:lol::lol:

Looks to me like the op questions intimidate the hell out of you so compensation is sought in accusing Maddy of being closed minded. Free advice: if you read an op beyond your capabilities pretend you didn't even see it and move on. That's basically what you've done here with the exception of posting whiny accusations.

teapartysamurai wrote:

Nice try but stating, "I am not a Christian" is saying you have closed your mind off to possible answers to your questions.

And I am "evil" because I question YOU??????

You really do think you're God, don't you? The arrogance gets worse by the moment.

Honey, I haven't misidentified you at all. Sure you believe in a "god." A little image of YOU that makes you feel comfortable, like all people that claim to be agnostic/atheist/I believe in god/gia/etc etc etc.

You can argue otherwise, but you let the truth slip out when you claimed I was "eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil" for simply questioning YOU.

Your the god in your mind, whether you directly recognize it or not.

How is stating "I Am Not A Christian" closing my mind to the possibility that God exists, teapartysamurai? All that says is I do not share YOUR religion, YOUR beliefs. Rather than dialogue about them and the reasons each of us holds ours, you merely wave a magic wand and declare everyone else's beliefs are defective?

It is not evil to question me. It is evil to attempt to distort what I have said, to try to degrade me or to harrass me (and anyone else on USMB who is not christian) because you are insecure and want or need to feel superior. This thread was begun to start a dialogue...why not tell us why you ARE a christian?

I do think God can be found in most Huamns. Not all. I think some have acted in ways that extinquish that Light forever....but I am sure he is as present in you as he is in me.

Let's see a bit of the Light you say you've got, teapartysamurai.

Last edited:
I don't know much about your argument with that other person, nor do I want to get involved, but this sentence is hilariously ironic.

Yeah really? How dare anyone use their brain to think about stuff?! That's INFANTILE! If there is to be any philosophizing it should be about how awesome the bible is. That and cupcakes.

Cupcakes are also awesome, and similarly cannot be questioned.

No exceptions.

You know how you know you are winning a debate? When the other side fabricates you made an argument (that you never made) and then argues against that.

Where did I say you can't question the Bible? I didn't.

I simply pointed out what the op boiled down to is, "there can't be a God, because there is suffering."

But, I'm sorry, that really means "There can't be a God, because God would do things my way."

It's really is a statement that there can't be a God, because the universe doesn't revolve around what the great I, ME, MINE thinks should be right.

It's the reasoning of a three year old.

Just because I point out that the Bible makes it plain there will be suffering, does not mean you can't question that.

It just means I'll probably be able to easily counter that argument.

So, please don't make up arguments that don't exist. It just makes you look desperate.

Your reading comprehension skills suck, teapartsamurai. You have made the same mistake as Cecille -- you read "I am not a christain" to mean "I am an atheist". But there are OTHER religions, and each of them has a vision of God. There are even people who just don't know (agnostics).

I don't belong to any religion and yet I DO believe. I have ZERO doubt that God exists, just as I have ZERO doubt that irrational hatred like yours is Evil.

If you feel you can explain why Evil exists, then please do so. Believe me, I'd love to have an explanation. But so far, nothing you have written leads me to believe that I can learn much of anything from you.

1. You need to define "Evil" before I can offer theories.

2. Are you asking for an explanation of evil or are you looking for a solution to evil?

so
or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

If you keep this up some government genius bureaucrat is going to find a way to make people get an operator's license for trolling like we have driver's licenses for cars.

trolling?

I am not trolling

I am asking reasonable questions that you are obviously either too stupid to understand or afraid to answer

or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

You asked a list of questions based on premises I have not stated nor accept yet demand an explanation. That's trolling.

trolling?

I am not trolling

or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

You asked a list of questions based on premises I have not stated nor accept yet demand an explanation. That's trolling.

do you or do you not agree with god on slavery?

is your god going to condemn decent people to eternal hell for having sex outside of marriage?
or being gay?
or getting divorced?

are you afraid to answer these questions?

God doesn't condemn us for sinning.
He condemns us for not being repentant, and for refusing to accept him and his Son.

God doesn't condemn us for sinning.
He condemns us for not being repentant, and for refusing to accept him and his Son.

in other words

if a person doesn't repent for being gay
or for having sex outside of marriage
or for getting divorced
or for NOT believing in god at all

that person will be condemned to hell forever?

seems to me that any god so irrationally and illogically OVERLYPUNITIVE for such petty offenses is a real jerk

makes me wonder....
what a massive eqo this jerk must have if he feels he MUST surround himself with ignorant, fear filled cowards who shiver and quake and grovel all day long telling him how wonderful he is (when he isn't wonderful at all....)

Your question is answered in Heb. 8.
False. Hebrews 8 states a new covenant was needed with a new people because the old one was no longer being upheld. It does not state why laws were changed. In fact it states "I will put my laws into their mind" in the new covenant. It does not say why such laws would change. You may want to know your own bible a bit better.

You know how you know you are winning a debate? When the other side fabricates you made an argument (that you never made) and then argues against that.

Where did I say you can't question the bible? I didn't. Now what were you saying about fabricating arguments? Oopsies!

I simply pointed out what the op boiled down to is, "there can't be a God, because there is suffering."
Did you read the same thing as me and everyone else? It appeared to say quite a bit more. Don't get me wrong, Mad can ramble on for a while, but my interpretation extended beyond your one-liner.

Perhaps you should try again.

False. Hebrews 8 states a new covenant was needed with a new people because the old one was no longer being upheld. It does not state why laws were changed. In fact it states "I will put my laws into their mind" in the new covenant. It does not say why such laws would change. You may want to know your own bible a bit better.

Where did I say you can't question the bible? I didn't. Now what were you saying about fabricating arguments? Oopsies!

Did you read the same thing as me and everyone else? It appeared to say quite a bit more. Don't get me wrong, Mad can ramble on for a while, but my interpretation extended beyond your one-liner.

You asked why the laws were changed and Heb 8 states why. You may claim it is insufficient to your taste but don't add more layers of dishonesty to you bag of crybaby tears.

"For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said..."
Hebrews 8 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

teapartysamurai wrote:

1. You need to define "Evil" before I can offer theories.

2. Are you asking for an explanation of evil or are you looking for a solution to evil?

Let's just begin by focusing on the first question. I would assume we can all agree that a man like Stalin or Pol Pot was Evil. But Evil is much more commonplace; we have all indulged in it.

Here's a little story of one of my Evil acts:

I am intolerant in the extreme of abuse -- of the elderly, of women, of kidlets, etc. One day I went to the grocery and saw a young woman lift her kidlet, about two, off the floor with his arm, using a twirling motion that swept his feet out from under him. You might not know -- and likely she didn't -- that this move, which usually causes no pain or injury, is a great way to tear a kidlet's rotator cuff. Such injuries can leave a kidlet permanently disabled.

So I yelled at the woman -- even though she was obviously poor, stressed out and overwhelmed. And she dropped the kidlet, so there was that. But whose needs did I serve? If I had spoken calmly and compassionately to her, she most likely would have listened. She might have learned to never do that again (as opposed to never doing it again in public). She might have felt validated, human and supported....but MY Pride came first. I was wealthy and obviously powerful, and I knew I could frighten her, so I did.

Scaring a young mom on the edge...now there's an accomplishment to be proud of, huh?

So here's my question: why is it that when God designed Mankind, he afflicted us with Pride and the other Evils we nuture in our breasts? Why didn't he fill us with enough Divinity so that we would not have these impulses to tear one another down, or apart?

By the way, teapartsamurai, I greatly appreciate your willingness to open yourself up to the dialogue. I was quite harsh to you and most would have replied angrilly and defensively; I am sorry I wasn't kinder.

Last edited:
There are many reasons why I am not a Christian. One of them is because I am thoroughly repulsed by the masochistic overtones of the Crucifixion story and the whole glorification of martyrdom that goes with it. The cross has to be one of the most creepy religious symbols ever.

You asked why the laws were changed and Heb 8 states why. You may claim it is insufficient to your taste but don't add more layers of dishonesty to you bag of crybaby tears.

"For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said..."

so god is a relativist!

CurveLight, it sounds as if you have taken the position that God changed the rules because he found a new set Humans would be more inclined to follow. Seems pretty obvious we have not done so; has God given us defective rules twice then?

The defect seems to be in the design of Humans, not the design of the rules. How do you account for this?

There are many reasons why I am not a Christian. One of them is because I am thoroughly repulsed by the masochistic overtones of the Crucifixion story and the whole glorification of martyrdom that goes with it. The cross has to be one of the most creepy religious symbols ever.

The Sacred Heart gives me the willies. Man, that thing used to scare me shitless as a child. I don't agree that crucifixion is the worst possible death. For one thing, it happens rapidly; I would think of dying of ALS is much more horrible. As for a death at the hands of another, I'd climb the Cross in a New York minute rather than be torn apart by wild animals or set on fire.

sacred_heart_red.jpg

Last edited:
trolling?

I am not trolling

or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

do you or do you not agree with god on slavery?

is your god going to condemn decent people to eternal hell for having sex outside of marriage?
or being gay?
or getting divorced?

are you afraid to answer these questions?

You're a fuxxing dumbass. What part of:

You asked a list of questions based on premises I have not stated nor accept....

Was mysterious?

I was raised (in my early years) by two pinkos with VERY independent minds, and taught such things as how to read. When the folks were gone, I was raised in a Catholic orphanage. All religion, all the time, 24/7. I said the rosary every night and went to Confession every Saturday. I had Religious Instruction every day at school. So why didn't it stick?

The first thing I objected to was this need some folks seemed to have to have their asses kissed because they were Clergy. It didn't help that they were, almost to a person, sadistic, uncaring, evil fuckwhits. Ass kissing has just never been part of my skill set. I had a checkmark for "fails to show proper respect to Clergy" on my report card even single time for a decade -- and every time I would think "seems like the proper amount of respect to me -- ZERO."

So in no special order of importance, here's a list of the reasons I am not a Christian. I am hoping someone who is can address any of them and we can dialogue.

1. If God is Omnipotent, then why is there evil in the world? I have heard every single justification for this, from free will to the "evil is necessary so goodness an show up by contrast" one. None of them wash with me.

2. If Christ is the Messiah, then why didn't humanity enjoy a better life after he was here? There were still wars, and poverty, and suffering. I don't think most Christians understand the Jewish concept of a "Messiah". That person is supposed to SAVE us. I'm not feeling the saving bit so much.

3. I don't get what the Holy Spirit is about. A Supreme Being that seems not to have existed before God wanted to knock Mary up and now has no purpose at all.

4. The notion of a Trinity seems to contradict the first of the Ten Commandments: monotheism. If there is only one God, there cannot be three. It just isn't rational.

5. Speaking of rational, thanks for the condemnation of abortion, birth control, sex for Clergy (that paid off so well, didn't it?), people who are not Catholic (or whatever flavor you may be), etc. A special thanks to the "Creationism" nutters who've brought a new age of enlightenment into the classroom.

6. How is it "Christian" to deny food or medical care to a child if their parents won't first agree to convert to your religion? If your religion is so great, won't the people whom you serve eventually get curious about it? Why's it okay to coerce people into relinquishing their culture and their beliefs in favor of yours because you have the economic upper hand?

7. If prayer actually works, and God actually listens, isn't it evil to pray for the defeat of a high school football team or the results of a test? Doesn't God expect that you'll only pray for stuff that brings you closer to him?

8. How is it possible to reconcile, in your own mind, all the hatred and aggression undertaken in the name of religion with any message of any major religion? You know that it is wrong. How is it okay to commit Major Evil as long as you invoke God's name?

9. How can you seriously believe that a man in a red jump suit "tempts" you? Why can't you just accept responsibility for the evil you do? You're human -- no one has to tempt you. You're full of evil, selfish impulses and can only control them through the wonders of social conditioning, like the rest of us.

10. Why do you need a "promise of Heaven" to do what you know is right? Don't you have a conscience? When you do the wrong thing, don't you feel that?

By the way, I don't belong to any organized religion but I singled out Christians because I have been treated to their irrationality somewhat more often. No Muslim or Jew or Buddist, etc. has ever prosletized to me.

All this boils down to one thing.

The arrogance of man.

Who's being irrational? This all boils down to, "If there was a God, he would do things MY WAY. But, since things aren't being done my way, there can't be a God."

Did it EVER occur to you, that just because things are out of YOUR control, it doesn't mean it's out of God's control?

Stop projecting. It cracks me up. People think they are being soooooooooooooo philosophical with these objections, when what they are really being is INFANTILE.

It's all about ME! Things aren't going as the great I ME MINE would like it, so there is no God.

The little secret here is these people think THEY should be God.

Boo hoo hoo. There's suffering in the world?

Well DUH!!!!!!!! Where did God (in the Bible) ever say there wouldn't be?

Unbelievable. Grow up!

She's said repeatedly that she believes in a God just not the Christian God.

Now stop twisting her objections and grow the hell up.

so
or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

trolling?

I am not trolling

or get divorced?
or are gay?
or are atheist?

So, you think there should be no consequences for rejecting God?

God doesn't send anyone to hell. God, so wanted to save the world from that, that he sent his only Son to stop it.

If you reject God's greatest Gift, God didn't send you to hell, you sent yourself.

Take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming God.

As for slavery. I have the same answer for you that Jesus gave the Pharisees regarding divorce.

"For the hardness of your hearts God, permitted this, but from the beginning it was not so."

Remember, the abolition movement began as a CHRISTIAN movement.

Besides, why are you worried about slavery of more than 150 years ago, if you are content to be a slave to sin, today?

If God was so for slavery, he wouldn't have sent his Son to deliver us from the worst slavery of all.

Forum List

Back