Why I Am Not A Christian

I am not all that interested in interfering with the behavior of others; there are some religious practices such as never seeing a doctor, handling snakes, etc. that I think put children at risk and I would outlaw, but mostly whatever you want to believe is good with me.

The problem I have is with groups that organize around religion (invariably christianity in the US) to protest sex ed in school; evolution in science class; etc. It is disturbing to me to see people conduct their religious lives in the political realm, and trying to bend others who believe differently to their will.

I disagree with you and Anguille, Sky Dancer. Well, sort of. I don't think evil is some external force to people -- if we all disappeared from Planet Earth tomorrow, so would all evil. But I also don't think how we measure evil is just a question of perception. I think there are some absolutes.

I'm curious as to whether you think any act's goodness or evil is subject to interpretation?

I am not all that interested in interfering with the behavior of others; there are some religious practices such as never seeing a doctor, handling snakes, etc. that I think put children at risk and I would outlaw, but mostly whatever you want to believe is good with me.

The problem I have is with groups that organize around religion (invariably christianity in the US) to protest sex ed in school; evolution in science class; etc. It is disturbing to me to see people conduct their religious lives in the political realm, and trying to bend others who believe differently to their will.

I disagree with you and Anguille, Sky Dancer. Well, sort of. I don't think evil is some external force to people -- if we all disappeared from Planet Earth tomorrow, so would all evil. But I also don't think how we measure evil is just a question of perception. I think there are some absolutes.

I'm curious as to whether you think any act's goodness or evil is subject to interpretation?

Never seeing a doctor? Handling snakes? :lol: :cuckoo:

Mad, all you do is keep making these accusations over and over again and then whenever I try to address them and ask you direct questions, you 'out of steam' or direct me to google. Quit making untrue statements if you can't back them up.

People are allowed to protest whatever they want, it's called American freedom. For you to sit there and say that people can only protest what you think is valid to protest makes you no better than what you are saying they are. What makes you think you get to control what people protest? Who the hell are you to try to tell others what to believe in or protest for or against? How are you any better than all of these christians that you say are foisting their beliefs on you? You aren't. Every person has the right to vote and to push for legislation that they feel is right, regardless of you what you believe to the contrary.

You just said up above that you're not interesting in controling other's behavior, but then immediately proceeded to speak to how you would do just that. :lol: I'd also love to know where you see all of these christians 'protesting' sexual education in school, or protesting evolution being taught? This is the 10th time you've brought it up. Where are you seeing this on even a small scale?? You never back up the accusations you make. I know people have made arguments, written articles perhaps about other beliefs besides evolution being taught, or along side evolution, since evolution is only a theory and is not fact. Where are all of these outraged christians that are forcing their values down your throat, Mad?? Please, share with us where you get all of these 'perceptions'.

Newby-

Christian Scientists may not see a doctor, there are stories in the news about parents who refusie to treat their child medically due to their spiritual beliefs.

There are Christians who go to school board meetings to protest sex ed in the schools and who want Creationism taught in science class. You've said you can google with the best of us, the evidence is available. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right

Madeline

Rather than address the question of evil, for it's not a Buddhist concept, I can tell you that we look instead at the five poisons of the mind; ignorance, attachment, aversion, jealousy and pride as the source of all unskillful and non-virtuous actions.

IN an conventional way, we can certainly identify Hitler as a doer of evil, but where a Buddhist differs is that we maintain that even Hitler had buddha nature, original purity. While he earned a hell realm several times over, it's not forever, he can eventually purify that karma. The Christian right is not going away. They are organized and politically savvy. You've got your work cut out for you on how to remain peaceful while you stand for your beliefs of truth and justice

Last edited:

Newby-

Christian Scientists may not see a doctor, there are stories in the news about parents who refusie to treat their child medically due to their spiritual beliefs.

There are Christians who go to school board meetings to protest sex ed in the schools and who want Creationism taught in science class. You've said you can google with the best of us, the evidence is available. Christian right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Madeline

Rather than address the question of evil, for it's not a Buddhist concept, I can tell you that we look instead at the five poisons of the mind; ignorance, attachment, aversion, jealousy and pride as the source of all unskillful and non-virtuous actions.

IN an conventional way, we can certainly identify Hitler as a doer of evil, but where a Buddhist differs is that we maintain that even Hitler had buddha nature, original purity. While he earned a hell realm several times over, it's not forever, he can eventually purify that karma. The Christian right is not going away. They are organized and politically savvy. You've got your work cut out for you on how to remain peaceful while you stand for your beliefs of truth and justice

So there's something wrong with going to your school board about the cirriculum being taught in your school to your children? You would be willing to tell people they don't have that right?

Newby-

There are Christians who go to school board meetings to protest sex ed in the schools and who want Creationism taught in science class. You've said you can google with the best of us, the evidence is available. Christian right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Madeline

So there's something wrong with going to your school board about the cirriculum being taught in your school to your children? You would be willing to tell people they don't have that right?

Did I say that? NO I did not.

Newby-

Madeline

There are Christians who go to school board meetings to protest sex ed in the schools and who want Creationism taught in science class. You've said you can google with the best of us, the evidence is available.

What's your implication then? You're not saying that it is wrong for them to do this? That they shouldn't have the right to do it if they choose?

There are Christians who go to school board meetings to protest sex ed in the schools and who want Creationism taught in science class. You've said you can google with the best of us, the evidence is available.

What's your implication then? You're not saying that it is wrong for them to do this? That they shouldn't have the right to do it if they choose?

Lighten up Newby. I'm not the enemy. I'm not saying it's wrong for Christians to organize and try and dominate school boards to get their way. It is what it is. Madeline is right that Christians organize against sex education and against evolution being taught in science class.

I'm saying that Madeline has reasons to oppose the dominant religion in our country, Christianity, both personally and politically. You may understand if she feels outnumbered. She is.

When we talk about rights in our country we most always say majority rules. We call people from minority view points who protest 'whiners'.

America is a plurality. That means we will always have differences among us. There will always be a struggle to have a minority view heard. When Christians demonstrate a concern that all views be heard and respected I find it heartening.

Last edited:

Lighten up Newby. I'm not the enemy. I'm not saying it's wrong for Christians to organize and try and dominate school boards to get their way. It is what it is. Madeline is right that Christians organize against sex education and against evolution being taught in science class.

I'm saying that Madeline has reasons to oppose the dominant religion in our country, Christianity, both personally and politically. You may understand if she feels outnumbered. She is.

When we talk about rights in our country we most always say majority rules. We call people from minority view points who protest 'whiners'.

America is a plurality. That means we will always have differences among us. There will always be a struggle to have a minority view heard. When Christians demonstrate a concern that all views be heard and respected I find it heartening.

'Dominate' school boards? :lol: Is that what they do? Has creationism been put into the cirriculum anywhere? I think you very well know that the answer is 'no'. Yet evolution is not a proven fact either, but I'm sure you're okay with that. It is absolutely apalling to me that you can talk about taking people's rights away to voice their opinions because they are part of a 'dominant' religion. You are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Christians founded this country and they founded it in such a way that people with minority view points were not trample over, why do you think that is? I'm sorry, but I just don't see your view point trying to be squashed anywhere in this country, yet the majority is christian. How does that happen? You're crying wolf, it's as simple as that. No one is trying to take your rights away, no one is trying to force you to live your life according to their beliefs, the christian boogie man is not out to get you.

'Dominate' school boards? :lol: Is that what they do? Has creationism been put into the cirriculum anywhere? I think you very well know that the answer is 'no'. Yet evolution is not a proven fact either, but I'm sure you're okay with that. It is absolutely apalling to me that you can talk about taking people's rights away to voice their opinions because they are part of a 'dominant' religion. You are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Christians founded this country and they founded it in such a way that people with minority view points were not trample over, why do you think that is? I'm sorry, but I just don't see your view point trying to be squashed anywhere in this country, yet the majority is christian. How does that happen? You're crying wolf, it's as simple as that. No one is trying to take your rights away, no one is trying to force you to live your life according to their beliefs, the christian boogie man is not out to get you.

Please reread my post. Madeline has the same right to have her voice heard as you do. I'm not your enemy.

Please reread my post. Madeline has the same right to have her voice heard as you do. I'm not your enemy.

I did read your post. The fact that you think christians 'dominate' school board meetings is all I needed to hear, that pretty much said it all. You do not have an open mind about it when you use terminology like that, it shows that you have a bias.

No, Madeline's posts are all about voices that don't agree with her not getting to have thier opinions and voices heard. She wants them shut down. Haven't you read her posts?

I did read your post. The fact that you think christians 'dominate' school board meetings is all I needed to hear, that pretty much said it all. You do not have an open mind about it when you use terminology like that, it shows that you have a bias.

No, Madeline's posts are all about voices that don't agree with her not getting to have thier opinions and voices heard. She wants them shut down. Haven't you read her posts?

So you're offended by my use of the term 'dominate'. I accept that set off a button for you, but it's your button not mine.

So you're offended by my use of the term 'dominate'. I accept that set off a button for you, but it's your button not mine.

I'm not offended by it, but it tells me where you're at and it isn't in the middle.

I'm not offended by it, but it tells me where you're at and it isn't in the middle.

I have biases like everyone else. Most of the time, I prefer to keep them to myself, and listen to both sides. I don't have a pony in this creationism race. I'm not an activist for the school board.

I don't think religious instruction belongs in science class. If Christians want creationism taught they ought to do it in church or ask for a comparative religion class in their school.

Just my opinion. It doesn't make me your enemy. At least, not on my side.

Last edited:

I have biases like everyone else. Most of the time, I prefer to keep them to myself, and listen to both sides. I don't have a pony in this creationism race. I'm not an activist for the school board.

I don't think religious instruction belongs in science class. I have no problem with creationism being taught in a comparative religion class.

So yes, I have views. I don't like you trying to pigeon hole me into some enemy status so that you can dismiss my point of view. This isn't us against them. We're all in this together.

I'm not putting you into any group, you and others are on here trying your best to put christians into one group, and that is what I am voicing my opinion on. I don't 'have a pony' in the creastionism race either, and guess what??? I've never been to a damn school board meeting either. I'm not an 'activist' for the school board either, and my point is that neither are 99.9% of chrisitans out there. But, for you to try to stop the voices of the other .1% based on the fact that you think they're trying to 'push their views' on you isn't right. If you don't like what they're doing or saying, organize your own protest, no one is stopping you. Go to school board meetings, no one is stopping you. Petition your law makers, no one is stopping you. This system was designed by christians, supported by christians over the last 200+ years, and many christians died in wars to keep these ideals, so don't tell me how christians are trying to stop the voices of anyone not like themselves, it's bullshit.

I don't think religious instruction belongs in science class. I have no problem with creationism being taught in a comparative religion class.

So yes, I have views. I don't like you trying to pigeon hole me into some enemy status so that you can dismiss my point of view. This isn't us against them. We're all in this together.

I'm not putting you into any group, you and others are on here trying your best to put christians into one group, and that is what I am voicing my opinion on. I don't 'have a pony' in the creastionism race either, and guess what??? I've never been to a damn school board meeting either. I'm not an 'activist' for the school board either, and my point is that neither are 99.9% of chrisitans out there. But, for you to try to stop the voices of the other .1% based on the fact that you think they're trying to 'push their views' on you isn't right. If you don't like what they're doing or saying, organize your own protest, no one is stopping you. Go to school board meetings, no one is stopping you. Petition your law makers, no one is stopping you. This system was designed by christians, supported by christians over the last 200+ years, and many christians died in wars to keep these ideals, so don't tell me how christians are trying to stop the voices of anyone not like themselves, it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Once again, I am not putting Christians into one group. Christians are not the only Americans who fight and die in wars to keep our ideals.

America is not a Christian theocracy. We live in a plurality. That means we have differences of opinion. Let all voices be heard. Even mine.

I am not your enemy.

Last edited:

I'm not putting you into any group, you and others are on here trying your best to put christians into one group, and that is what I am voicing my opinion on. I don't 'have a pony' in the creastionism race either, and guess what??? I've never been to a damn school board meeting either. I'm not an 'activist' for the school board either, and my point is that neither are 99.9% of chrisitans out there. But, for you to try to stop the voices of the other .1% based on the fact that you think they're trying to 'push their views' on you isn't right. If you don't like what they're doing or saying, organize your own protest, no one is stopping you. Go to school board meetings, no one is stopping you. Petition your law makers, no one is stopping you. This system was designed by christians, supported by christians over the last 200+ years, and many christians died in wars to keep these ideals, so don't tell me how christians are trying to stop the voices of anyone not like themselves, it's bullshit.

Once again, I am not putting Christians into one group. Christians are not the only Americans who fight and die in wars to keep our ideals.

America is not a Christian theocracy. We live in a plurality. That means we have differences of opinion. Let all voices be heard.

I am not your enemy.

I never said you were my enemy, nor have I ever thought so. Why are you insinuating that I think this is a theocracy? I've never said anything of the kind. I'm merely pointing out that christians have always been the majority in this country, yet the voices of minorites are heard, creationism isn't taught in sience class, and abortion is legal. So, what's the bitching about exactly?

America is not a Christian theocracy. We live in a plurality. That means we have differences of opinion. Let all voices be heard.

I am not your enemy.

I never said you were my enemy, nor have I ever thought so. Why are you insinuating that I think this is a theocracy? I've never said anything of the kind. I'm merely pointing out that christians have always been the majority in this country, yet the voices of minorites are heard, creationism isn't taught in sience class, and abortion is legal. So, what's the bitching about exactly?

That you call my views 'bitching' says alot.

I am not your enemy.

I'm not your enemy, Sky. :eusa_angel:

I'm not your enemy, Sky. :eusa_angel:

That's good. Now how about acting like a friend? I have some evidence that evolution is being taught in the schools:

In western Wisconsin, the small Grantsburg School District now requires that alternative theories of evolution be taught.

• In Ohio, the state school board passed a measure that encourages the teaching of evolution and "intelligent design," a hypothesis that says life is so complex that some intelligent force was responsible.

• In Kansas, the defeat this month of a "pro-science" incumbent on the state school board by a candidate who had questioned evolution has shifted the balance of power on the 10-member board and ensures that the issue will come up again. The board ended the teaching of evolution in 1999, then reversed that decision after a subsequent election. It has been deadlocked since.

Debates over religion, science and natural phenomena are not limited to schools and evolution. The bookstore at Grand Canyon National Park sells Grand Canyon: A Different View by Tom Vail, a Colorado River guide. The book says the Grand Canyon was created during Noah's flood, not through millennia of erosion by the Colorado River.

The fight over evolution is heating up as the country tries to come to terms with the role of religion in government. The American public remains divided. In a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll of 1,105 people conducted Nov. 19-21, 48% said religion has too much political influence in American life, and 40% said it has too little influence. Seven percent said religion has about the right amount of political influence. The poll's margin of error was +/—3 percentage points.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2004-11-28-schools-evolution_x.htm

Last edited:

Forum List

Back