Why is "People of color" okay, but not "colored people"?

the blacks still use ''colored people''
NAACP

...and when did the NAACP choose it's name?
Doesn't matter. If "colored people" is racist, why don't they change it to "people of color"?

Feel free to ask them.

I would guess that they choose to keep the name of the organization because it has important historical value.
But you just told me that the term "colored people" is racist. Make up your sick racist mind, will ya.

No, I didn't.

There's no need to lie.

like the blacks don't hate whites and don't call whites derogatory names

Because the terms have entirely different connotations. One of those terms has a lot of baggage associated with it, the other does not.

This isn't complicated.
Hahaha....that is accurate until people of color has it's own baggage, Then what?
Good Lord.

Why do you guys care so much about this?

I truly don't understand it.

Care?
Because aw geez...if we slip up and use a new "off limits" term of the day...we are a racist.
Course, I am a white conservative male, so that is now an assumed status. So really, no matter what I say or do...I must be a racist because I don't subscribe to the lunatic PC terms of the week.

:lol:

If I offend someone that I don't mean to offend, I apologize to them and learn from my mistakes.

But that's not what you're worried about.

NAACP

Doesn't matter. If "colored people" is racist, why don't they change it to "people of color"?
If "colored people" is racist, then "people of color" should also be racist since it is simply a different conjugation of "color" and "people".

You don't understand how this works.

That's ok, but please stop pretending that you do.
Sure I understand how this works. The way this works is that certain people find power in finding terms that offend them so that they can brow-beat the rest of us into submission. I suspect most blacks don't give a damn whether I refer to them as black, colored people or people of color, as long as it's in good nature.

NAACP

If "colored people" is racist, then "people of color" should also be racist since it is simply a different conjugation of "color" and "people".

Sure I understand how this works. The way this works is that certain people find power in finding terms that offend them so that they can brow-beat the rest of us into submission. I suspect most blacks don't give a damn whether I refer to them as black, colored people or people of color, as long as it's in good nature.

You don't spend much time around black people, do you?

I spend plenty of time around black people. Just not the same black people that perhaps you spend time around.

NAACP

Feel free to ask them.

I would guess that they choose to keep the name of the organization because it has important historical value.
But you just told me that the term "colored people" is racist. Make up your sick racist mind, will ya.

No, I didn't.

There's no need to lie.
Okay. The term "colored people" isn't racist. Thanks for the clarification, doc.

That's because too many people refuse to let race go. Ignoring race would work if people would simply do that. If it doesn't work, it's because people are not ignoring race...the logic is simplistic.

it certainly is

sim·plis·tic
simˈplistik/
adjective
adjective: simplistic
treating complex issues and problems as if they were much simpler than they really are.
"simplistic solutions"
synonyms: facile, superficial, oversimple, oversimplified;

yep, nailed it

You mean, colored people that the NAACP supports for advancement, huh.

I've lived through all of the different names morphed in to others....that were all OK at the time they were being used, colored people, negro, black (when black power was a positive saying to black people, Black Panthers, and even Black lives Matter), and now African Americans

as long as you did not use the 'nig8er' word, you were not using a derogatory word.... as far as I can remember?

i guess from reading other people's posts, I was wrong....?

But I truly did not know it.... I was always taught not to ever use the word 'nig8er', that it was absolutely wrong to use it....! But that was it, as far as my parent's teachings goes....?

I've lived through all of the different names morphed in to others....that were all OK at the time they were being used, colored people, negro, black (when black power was a positive saying to black people, Black Panthers, and even Black lives Matter), and now African Americans

as long as you did not use the 'nig8er' word, you were not using a derogatory word.... as far as I can remember?
i guess from reading other people's posts, I was wrong....?

But I truly did not know it.... I was always taught not to ever use the word 'nig8er', that it was absolutely wrong to use it....! But that was it, as far as my parent's teachings goes....?
I just wish everyone would stop using the N word. Many blacks make big bucks selling rap with the N word. It's sad.

If I offend someone that I don't mean to offend, I apologize to them and learn from my mistakes.

But that's not what you're worried about.

HAha...hell no.
Some people are perpetually "offended". And, like I say, constantly move the goal post as they run out of things to be offended about.
That and they desperately have a need to "protect" the victims so they feel good about themselves, so they make this shit up.
It would be interesting to see the origin of how this term became offensive...and who exactly was offended first.
My guess....someone working for a non profit action group.

In medicine you use people first terminology. It’s not an autistic person, it’s a person with autism. A small difference, but you make them being a person the more important bit of information, putting it first.

BS----in medicine the lingo is "THE PATIENT IS..........then age,
then POSSIBLY race, then gender, and then major diagnosis.
with possible other features thrown in. ..eg...the patient is a
50 year old, female hypertensive bitch. para 1-1-3-2<<<
that means that the bitch had pregnancies-----one full term,
one premature, 3 abortion (either spontaneous or induced) and
has two living children ---that means that the preemie did survive..
You got a point, OLDIE?
Yes when speaking to patients you use people first terminology. Not your cold bullshit.

Exactly.
I knew very young that the N-word was a bad thing to say. I have not used the term for many-many years. At least 40 years, publicly or privately.
I am not a racist, so I don't use it. If you do, you are. (not you specifically)
But colored people? That is not a racist term.

In medicine you use people first terminology. It’s not an autistic person, it’s a person with autism. A small difference, but you make them being a person the more important bit of information, putting it first.

You got a point, OLDIE?
Yes when speaking to patients you use people first terminology. Not your cold bullshit.

Re-read your post. You did not mention "SPEAKING TO THE
PATIENT" I was speaking in "morning report" where people do not say " Mary " "lets talk about your problem"

You got a point, OLDIE?

PATIENT" I was speaking in "morning report" where people do not say " Mary " "lets talk about your problem"
My first post is incredibly simple, and impossible to confuse with what you brought up for some reason.

The point being, in regard to the OP, “people of color” is the altered version of “colored people,” done in an attempt to show respect. Not that I’m fond of either term or really care at all other than to point out my little bit. In my office, if I refer to one of our patients as an “autistic kid,” I’m likely to get my balls busted (jokingly, but correctly) about saying it that way instead of “child wih autism” or another person first term.

You got a point, OLDIE?

My first post is incredibly simple, and impossible to confuse with what you brought up for some reason.

The point being, in regard to the OP, “people of color” is the altered version of “colored people,” done in an attempt to show respect. Not that I’m fond of either term or really care at all other than to point out my little bit. In my office, if I refer to one of our patients as an “autistic kid,” I’m likely to get my balls busted (jokingly, but correctly) about saying it that way instead of “child wih autism” or another person first term.
So, you're not an impotent person, you're a person of impotence.

Much better!

You got a point, OLDIE?

So, you're not an impotent person, you're a person of impotence.

Much better!
You’re a stupid person

Forum List

Back