Why no cameras for press briefings?

I have no problem with people being held accountable, but when people start getting disrespectful just trying to score points for the cameras something has to change. The press seems to have thrown ethics and decorum out the window, especially since Trump was elected. They seem to be forgetting they are guests at the WH. I've said form more than a decade that journalism is dead in the US, journalist appear to be more interested in shaping a story instead of simply reporting on it.
If thats the case then up the standards to restore a level of respect in the conversation. Set higher standards of etiquette and penalize people who violate the code of conduct. I don't think shutting down the cameras and holding less briefings is a healthy answer... it penalizes the public that wants to see and hear what the White house has to say about certain issues. Otherwise we are left with 140 characters on Twitter and speculative news reports that often lack facts

Yeah, let them ban one reporter for misconduct in the press room and this board and the MSM would light up with claims of censorship. You do know televised press briefings didn't start till the 90s during the Clinton administration, just because a technology is available doesn't mean it has to be used. The press has no right to dictate how they receive information.

When a communications system that has been around for over 20 years is now being restricted and changed in a way that provides less transparency and communication to the American people.... then we have the right to question it and voice our opinion. I said I respect you opinion of being OK with it, I hope you respect mine to object

Nonsense. CNN isn't a "communications system" for the US, and it isn't being "restricted and changed in a way that provides less transparency" blah blah blah.

They interfere with transparency, and they are not engaged in reporting, they are engaged in propaganda. They've been caught again, and again, and again. They are not elected representatives, they are reporters who work for a corporation that is anti-American and funded by god knows who to do god knows what.

Trump communicates directly with the American people. CNN is defunct and obsolete, and exposed. Screen the pressers, who cares. Nobody except the retards who use them to badger the president, and the rest of us aren't interested in that.
CNN is mean so forget about the Q&A and press briefings, we got Trump on Twitter! Is That's your argument?
I would really love to know where on earth you got the mistaken notion that those pressers are mandatory for the president to engage in, lol. Or that he's *required* to sit and make pretty for pigs who write lies about him, over and over and over again?

My opinion is it's because of the reporters grandstanding now trying to get their viral moment.
You could be right. I'd rather see consequences for improper behavior, like suspending reporters that speak out of turn, interrupt or take an uncivil tone, rather than trying to restrict exposure.
It seems to me with the advances in technology and all the social media outlets an ever increasing number of reporters are looking less to report the news and more to create the news and be part of the story themselves. Having cameras in there is a double edged sword you can tell the story much better with them but as we have seen they can also bring out the worst in the people standing in front of them. As a previous poster stated we're getting more sideshow than news from these right now.
But again, wouldn't you rather see a "code of conduct" instituted to restore a more respectful discourse, rather than limiting exposure?
These are supposed to be grown men and women if at this point in their lives a code of conduct needs to be implemented to get them to act like grown ups we have bigger problems than limiting exposure.
I don't think we need a code of conduct, I think the press has every right to press the WH. If they can't take the scrutiny then grow some balls and deal with it. Do better answering questions or get somebody who can control the room better. Don't run and hide by turning of cameras and holding less briefings

For routine briefings sure, there could be occasions cameras could be called for, not necessarily all the time.

Thats fine, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I know it can get heated in the press room but I think the press is there to hold the powerful accountable. Yeah they are tough on Trump and they have his reps tripping over their tongues a lot. It should motivate them to be better with their messaging. More honest and transparent so they don't get caught lying and not disclosing information. In my opinion that is the purpose of the press. I don't like the idea of trying to water them down. I'm all for more accountability so they lose credentials for false reporting... but as far as exposure I think we the people deserve to know, investigate, and question what our leadership is doing.

I have no problem with people being held accountable, but when people start getting disrespectful just trying to score points for the cameras something has to change. The press seems to have thrown ethics and decorum out the window, especially since Trump was elected. They seem to be forgetting they are guests at the WH. I've said form more than a decade that journalism is dead in the US, journalist appear to be more interested in shaping a story instead of simply reporting on it.
If thats the case then up the standards to restore a level of respect in the conversation. Set higher standards of etiquette and penalize people who violate the code of conduct. I don't think shutting down the cameras and holding less briefings is a healthy answer... it penalizes the public that wants to see and hear what the White house has to say about certain issues. Otherwise we are left with 140 characters on Twitter and speculative news reports that often lack facts

Yeah, let them ban one reporter for misconduct in the press room and this board and the MSM would light up with claims of censorship. You do know televised press briefings didn't start till the 90s during the Clinton administration, just because a technology is available doesn't mean it has to be used. The press has no right to dictate how they receive information.

When a communications system that has been around for over 20 years is now being restricted and changed in a way that provides less transparency and communication to the American people.... then we have the right to question it and voice our opinion. I said I respect you opinion of being OK with it, I hope you respect mine to object

Less transparency, how so? They get the same information and time in the audio only briefings. Do you have to see a person speaking to understand what they said, if so how do you use a telephone?

Why no cameras for press briefings?

Trump is a lying, insecure bitch who doesnt want to be held accountable.

Exactly.

A free press doesn't mean the press is free to force engagement.
I don't know where the yahoos got the impression that a free press means people HAVE to accommodate the press lolol. That's funny.
Did you ever explain your security theory? Did I miss it? I was curious about where that came from...
A few months ago, some rogue *journalist* snapped a few shots of Trump and a couple of others (including Kelly Ann) in a tete-a-tete ...it made the news because #1, the shot was taken from a hallway and the perspective was such that the placement of the window panes looked like CROSSHAIRS...and #2, it made the news because it showed how easy it was to sneak up on the president and get a clean shot at his head.

That, and the fact that the reporters are acting as enemies of the state in general led me to believe back then that Trump's security was going to shut down those ridiculous press conferences. Our president doesn't have to stand there and be insulted and lied to, and about, by scumbag marxist pigs who have no interest in *reporting*.
Damn, I thought you might actually have some insight to add for once. You are completely off topic here. We are talking about the press briefings. The cameras are there and set up all they need to do is push a button to broadcast. Reporters are still asking questions, recording the audio and snapping still shots. They just can't tape video or broadcast live.

Nonsense. CNN isn't a "communications system" for the US, and it isn't being "restricted and changed in a way that provides less transparency" blah blah blah.

They interfere with transparency, and they are not engaged in reporting, they are engaged in propaganda. They've been caught again, and again, and again. They are not elected representatives, they are reporters who work for a corporation that is anti-American and funded by god knows who to do god knows what.

Trump communicates directly with the American people. CNN is defunct and obsolete, and exposed. Screen the pressers, who cares. Nobody except the retards who use them to badger the president, and the rest of us aren't interested in that.
So forget about the Q and A and press briefings, we got Trump on Twitter? That's your argument?

Yup. Show me in the constitution where it says that a free press means the press gets to harass, insult, demean, and threaten the president?

Psst..it doesn't. Fuck them.
Are you talking about Birtherism? Yeah that was petty and ugly... but Obama handled it like a champ. Trump should take some notes on how to act presidential in the face of a hostile press.

CNN is mean so forget about the Q&A and press briefings, we got Trump on Twitter! Is That's your argument?
I would really love to know where on earth you got the mistaken notion that those pressers are mandatory for the president to engage in, lol. Or that he's *required* to sit and make pretty for pigs who write lies about him, over and over and over again?
I never said they were mandatory. I never said that what the WH is doing was illegal. I am allowed to object though. I like to see as much transparency as possible from our elected leadership

Thats fine, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I know it can get heated in the press room but I think the press is there to hold the powerful accountable. Yeah they are tough on Trump and they have his reps tripping over their tongues a lot. It should motivate them to be better with their messaging. More honest and transparent so they don't get caught lying and not disclosing information. In my opinion that is the purpose of the press. I don't like the idea of trying to water them down. I'm all for more accountability so they lose credentials for false reporting... but as far as exposure I think we the people deserve to know, investigate, and question what our leadership is doing.

Less transparency, how so? They get the same information and time in the audio only briefings. Do you have to see a person speaking to understand what they said, if so how do you use a telephone?

I think turing off the cameras results in less people tuning in. It also takes away the viewers ability to see the speakers body language and facial expressions while tackling questions. Holding less pressers speaks for itself.

My opinion is it's because of the reporters grandstanding now trying to get their viral moment.
You could be right. I'd rather see consequences for improper behavior, like suspending reporters that speak out of turn, interrupt or take an uncivil tone, rather than trying to restrict exposure.
It seems to me with the advances in technology and all the social media outlets an ever increasing number of reporters are looking less to report the news and more to create the news and be part of the story themselves. Having cameras in there is a double edged sword you can tell the story much better with them but as we have seen they can also bring out the worst in the people standing in front of them. As a previous poster stated we're getting more sideshow than news from these right now.
But again, wouldn't you rather see a "code of conduct" instituted to restore a more respectful discourse, rather than limiting exposure?
These are supposed to be grown men and women if at this point in their lives a code of conduct needs to be implemented to get them to act like grown ups we have bigger problems than limiting exposure.
I don't think we need a code of conduct, I think the press has every right to press the WH. If they can't take the scrutiny then grow some balls and deal with it. Do better answering questions or get somebody who can control the room better. Don't run and hide by turning of cameras and holding less briefings
They have the right to be assholes.
And he has the right to not talk to them.

Freedom.

Freedom.
Yeah, and I have a right to say thats a pussy move and I want to see better from our leadership.

I think turing off the cameras results in less people tuning in. It also takes away the viewers ability to see the speakers body language and facial expressions while tackling questions. Holding less pressers speaks for itself.

I never said they were mandatory. I never said that what the WH is doing was illegal. I am allowed to object though. I like to see as much transparency as possible from our elected leadership
How does allowing the biased press to harrangue, insult, and lie about him = transparency?

So how long should CNN be suspended?
Depends on the offense and the system that they set up. I for one am fine with letting the reporters fight for the spotlight and ask hard questions. I'm just saying if the administration is having a hard time handling the scrutiny I'd rather see them take a procedural approach to improve civility to the briefing room (if thats really their concern). Not turning off the cameras and holding less briefings.
I would agree if that were the case at all times but we know it isn't. They spent the last eight years tripping over each other to praise Obama. Now all they want to do is attack. No matter what Trump did it was going to be reported as heavy handed by the press. This is as good an action as any.
I disagree, Fox, the largest news network in the country by a lot was constantly scrutinizing Obama. Had Obama shut down the cameras and held less briefings you know there would be a HUGE backlash from the right. The MSM is very critical against Trump, to a fault even... Some of that is ideology but most of it is that Trump is constantly insulting and fighting against them. He brings increasing scrutiny upon himself. I haven't seen him do one thing to try and restore the relationship between leadership and the MSM so the fight will continue. I'm just as sick of it as you are. But limiting exposure is not a smart approach.

CNN doing 93% negative coverage regardless of what's going on, maybe they should look for a bit of balance.

Maybe they should. I'd sure like to see that. But it's a free market and they aren't doing anything illegal right? The largest news network in the country is a friend to trump, conservative radio defends him. There is plenty of push and pull out there, bit that doesn't mean we the people need to be given less transparency from our whitehouse. And people like me have every right to object to it

Actually I think they have crossed the legal line on multiple occasions. Continuing to push false stories with a clear malice and intent to slander a president. I think he would have a case if he chose to pursue it.

The theory is that many of the news correspondences like to play it up in front of the camera. I tend to agree with that accessement, kind of the same as cameras effect a courtroom trial. There are too many people looking for their 15 seconds of fame.
Interesting so the goal is to dampen down the spotlight for the reporters so they don't attack or grandstand as much. Good insight... could be right. Do you think they are trying to detract people from viewing?
Nobody actually views those things. Be honest, all that's happened is we aren't getting daily doses of clips saying look at this idiot reporter, or OMG Spicer gave this reporter a dirty look. It never was about substance. Have you noticed the complete lack of any actual news coming from these briefings? The reason is they aren't very news worthy. It was the show that people watched.

If there was any news coming from the briefings it was all "gotcha" journalism. I know something so I am going to have you deny it, even though you have no way of knowing this information.

Freedom.
Yeah, and I have a right to say thats a pussy move and I want to see better from our leadership.

You sure do, but when you do, it just shows that you've been brainwashed to think that information except that which is filtered through propagandists isn't *real*. It also shows that you don't trust your own ability to interpret, investigate or understand politics without a commentator showing you the way.

How does allowing the biased press to harrangue, insult, and lie about him = transparency?
You are misrepresenting reality. The press briefings are a collective of reporters from many different networks that ask honest questions. Point out which questions in a presser represent any of what you just claimed: "harrangue, insult, and lie" You might have one hostile encounter in a blue moon. The rest of the discussions are about the countries business and it gives the WH the opportunity to address the questions as they see fit. The alternative is having the "news experts" sit around and speculate in the annoying way they do on every show now-a-days.

Depends on the offense and the system that they set up. I for one am fine with letting the reporters fight for the spotlight and ask hard questions. I'm just saying if the administration is having a hard time handling the scrutiny I'd rather see them take a procedural approach to improve civility to the briefing room (if thats really their concern). Not turning off the cameras and holding less briefings.
I would agree if that were the case at all times but we know it isn't. They spent the last eight years tripping over each other to praise Obama. Now all they want to do is attack. No matter what Trump did it was going to be reported as heavy handed by the press. This is as good an action as any.
I disagree, Fox, the largest news network in the country by a lot was constantly scrutinizing Obama. Had Obama shut down the cameras and held less briefings you know there would be a HUGE backlash from the right. The MSM is very critical against Trump, to a fault even... Some of that is ideology but most of it is that Trump is constantly insulting and fighting against them. He brings increasing scrutiny upon himself. I haven't seen him do one thing to try and restore the relationship between leadership and the MSM so the fight will continue. I'm just as sick of it as you are. But limiting exposure is not a smart approach.

CNN doing 93% negative coverage regardless of what's going on, maybe they should look for a bit of balance.

Maybe they should. I'd sure like to see that. But it's a free market and they aren't doing anything illegal right? The largest news network in the country is a friend to trump, conservative radio defends him. There is plenty of push and pull out there, bit that doesn't mean we the people need to be given less transparency from our whitehouse. And people like me have every right to object to it

Actually I think they have crossed the legal line on multiple occasions. Continuing to push false stories with a clear malice and intent to slander a president. I think he would have a case if he chose to pursue it.

Then he should... he has the money and the lawyers.

They should have stopped those pressers cold the first time a cnn dweeb tried to hijack the narrative with garbage, then wasted the time of our President, his agents, and the American people by throwing tantrums instead of actually asking questions that pertain to reality.

Fuck the pressers.

The theory is that many of the news correspondences like to play it up in front of the camera. I tend to agree with that accessement, kind of the same as cameras effect a courtroom trial. There are too many people looking for their 15 seconds of fame.
Interesting so the goal is to dampen down the spotlight for the reporters so they don't attack or grandstand as much. Good insight... could be right. Do you think they are trying to detract people from viewing?
Nobody actually views those things. Be honest, all that's happened is we aren't getting daily doses of clips saying look at this idiot reporter, or OMG Spicer gave this reporter a dirty look. It never was about substance. Have you noticed the complete lack of any actual news coming from these briefings? The reason is they aren't very news worthy. It was the show that people watched.

If there was any news coming from the briefings it was all "gotcha" journalism. I know something so I am going to have you deny it, even though you have no way of knowing this information.
The gotchyas come from the conflicting information and false statements coming from Trump and his Reps. They deserve to be pressed, just like any president, to keep them accountable and transparent.

The gotchyas come from the conflicting information and false statements coming from Trump and his Reps. They deserve to be pressed, just like any president, to keep them accountable and transparent.

Those pressers don't keep anybody accountable or transparent. In fact, the primary objective of the pressers, from their inception, has been to collude with the press in a way to create less transparency. This president isn't interested in doing it, and the people who elected him aren't interested in having him be harrassed by little turds on live video, on a daily basis.

What good would there be in putting out a code of conduct? Libs cannot read and would ignore it anyway. That is what they do!

Forum List

Back