Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

why does it matter if its at a gun show or a walmart parking lot?? youre either being dishonest or are already brainwashed,,

It's a lot safer to buy a gun at a gun show than it is in a Walmart parking lot somewhere. You aren't taking the chance of getting ripped off or robbed or even shot at a gun show, right? The whole point here is to make it harder to acquire a gun if you can't pass a BC. I suspect for most of us it ain't that easy to hook up with someone who will sell you a gun without a BC. Probably pretty dangerous.

I'm not being dishonest here, I've said nothing that isn't true. And maybe you're the one who is brainwashed; insults can go both ways so can we keep this civil?

hate to break it to you but a BGC violates the 2nd already,, and if its safety youre looking for sadly that can never be the case,,

BCs do not currently violate the 2nd Amendment according to any court in the land. In fact, federal law requires them in any retail gun transaction. At the moment, private gun sales are legal and some states already have laws requiring a BC for private sales. To date none of those laws have been declared to be unconstitutional. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter, but I doubt that any law that requires a gun purchaser at a gun show to pass a BC would be unconstitutional either.

Step away from the mass shootings for a minute and consider the total number of shootings in this country. Can we say for certain how many of those shootings were done by a shooter who got a gun at a gun show and bypassed a BC? Answer: NO. So, however small that number is, it is not zero and we cannot know for certain either that a future shooting might occur under those circumstances.

BUT - to my mind another question is whether the federal gov't has any business interfering with a business transaction within a state. The feds deal with interstate commerce, but I dunno if they should have the power to regulate in any way the business conducted inside any state. I'm a big federalist state's rights guy, and it could be that the laws for private gun sales do not belong at the federal level.

It's a lot safer to buy a gun at a gun show than it is in a Walmart parking lot somewhere. You aren't taking the chance of getting ripped off or robbed or even shot at a gun show, right? The whole point here is to make it harder to acquire a gun if you can't pass a BC. I suspect for most of us it ain't that easy to hook up with someone who will sell you a gun without a BC. Probably pretty dangerous.

I'm not being dishonest here, I've said nothing that isn't true. And maybe you're the one who is brainwashed; insults can go both ways so can we keep this civil?

BCs do not currently violate the 2nd Amendment according to any court in the land. In fact, federal law requires them in any retail gun transaction. At the moment, private gun sales are legal and some states already have laws requiring a BC for private sales. To date none of those laws have been declared to be unconstitutional. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter, but I doubt that any law that requires a gun purchaser at a gun show to pass a BC would be unconstitutional either.

Step away from the mass shootings for a minute and consider the total number of shootings in this country. Can we say for certain how many of those shootings were done by a shooter who got a gun at a gun show and bypassed a BC? Answer: NO. So, however small that number is, it is not zero and we cannot know for certain either that a future shooting might occur under those circumstances.

BUT - to my mind another question is whether the federal gov't has any business interfering with a business transaction within a state. The feds deal with interstate commerce, but I dunno if they should have the power to regulate in any way the business conducted inside any state. I'm a big federalist state's rights guy, and it could be that the laws for private gun sales do not belong at the federal level.

I cant tell whether youre naive or just ignorant,, possibly just dishonest,,

so much is beyond wrong in this comment its a waste of time to explain it to you,,

BCs do not currently violate the 2nd Amendment according to any court in the land.
I don't think any case pertaining to background checks has ever made it to the Supreme Court.

Funny thing about gun laws. They hardly ever are ruled upon by the Supreme Court because most cases involve a crime and the Constitutionality of the root law is hardly ever challenged. Heller, McDonald and Miller being exceptions.

In order to get standing to challenge the stupid background checks you would have to commit the crime of circumventing the check. Since most states allow private sales it would be rare for even a case to get to court. In the instances where it happens it is usually because other crimes were committed, like straw purchases.

To me it is a no brainier to say that background checks are a violation of our Constitutional rights for two reasons.

First it is an assumption of guilty until proven innocence, which is against American jurisprudence.

Second is having to get permission from the government to enjoy a right that is specified in the Bill of Rights. One that says "shall not be infringed". If we have to get permission from the government to enjoy a right in the Bill of Rights then it is really not a Bill of Rights, is it?

Background checks are worthless to stop any crime and a gross violation of our fundamental Constitutional rights.

not if youre a 2nd A supporter,,
Why would you want to take the chance of selling a firearm to a person who is prohibited from having one?

And I do support the Constitution and until the federal gun laws on the books are deemed unconstitutional you should want to abide by them too.

Why would you want to take the chance of selling a firearm to a person who is prohibited from having one?

And I do support the Constitution and until the federal gun laws on the books are deemed unconstitutional you should want to abide by them too.
youre whats commonly called a boot licker,,

you should never claim you support the constitution after a comment like that,,

youre whats commonly called a boot licker,,

you should never claim you support the constitution after a comment like that,,
So you want to allow people who are legally and constitutionally prohibited from owning firearm to have them?

I have no problem denying piece of shit criminals who choose to commit felonies of their right to own guns

You don't want to solve gun violence....

Proof in that is you simply are parroting things you hear on MSDNC, and you have no clue what it even is
Yet you're the one who asked the question. Seems like you don't know what it even is either.

So you want to allow people who are legally and constitutionally prohibited from owning firearm to have them?

I have no problem denying piece of shit criminals who choose to commit felonies of their right to own guns
if the government decided they shouldnt have them they shouldnt let them out of jail,,

not sure of you knew this but criminals dont care about the laws,,

you leftist are all the same,, brain dead,,

if the government decided they shouldnt have them they shouldnt let them out of jail,,

not sure of you knew this but criminals dont care about the laws,,

you leftist are all the same,, brain dead,,
Yeah I'm a leftist who is against gun bans.

You're an idiot who can only see the world in the most simplified of terms like left or right and black or white

Once a criminal always a fucking criminal

Yeah I'm a leftists who is against gun bans.

You're an idiot.

Once a criminal always a fucking criminal
bans arent the only way to oppose the constitution and 2nd A,,, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is a pretty simple,,

you either paid your debt to society or you didnt,, if the government wants to impose a lifetime parole they should do that,, but once your debt is paid its paid,,

and yes you are a leftist because you put your feelings before the constitution,,

bans arent the only way to oppose the constitution and 2nd A,,, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is a pretty simple,,

you either paid your debt to society or you didnt,, if the government wants to impose a lifetime parole they should do that,, but once your debt is paid its paid,,

and yes you are a leftist because you put your feelings before the constitution,,

Not feelings Dipshit.

FACTS

The recidivism rate of piece of shit felons is all the reason needed not allow them to have firearms

But you go ahead and sell to all the fucking felons you want and when they flip on you you can go to jail with them

Not feelings Dipshit.

FACTS

The recidivism rate of piece of shit felons is all the reason needed not allow them to have firearms

But you go ahead and sell to all the fucking felons you want and when they flip on you you can go to jail with them
so you idiots let violent criminals out of jail and expect them to obey the laws,, HAHAHAHAHAHA

actually I never sell my guns, I just buy more

but you go ahead and spit on the constitution if it makes you feel better,,

so you idiots let violent criminals out of jail and expect them to obey the laws,, HAHAHAHAHAHA

actually I never sell my guns, I just buy more

but you go ahead and spit on the constitution if it makes you feel better,,
I don't let anyone out of jail asshole.

I want criminals in jail just look at any post of mine on thread on the subject and get back to me when you find a quote that says anything else.

I won't be hearing from you again because you will never find any post of mine that is in favor of letting violent criminals out of jail.

I don't let anyone out of jail asshole.

I want criminals in jail just look at any post of mine on thread on the subject and get back to me when you find a quote that says anything else.

I won't be hearing from you again because you will never find any post of mine that is in favor of letting violent criminals out of jail.
but you vote for the people that do,, I know you leftist want to distance yourself from the results of your vote but the facts are the facts,,

you can take your background checks and registrations and stick them up your ass because they only effect law abiding people and not a single criminal,,

Forum List

Back