🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why White People Don’t Like to Talk About Race

USMB is a fine example of this.

March 26, 2015 by Barnabas Piper

Most white people want no part of the conversation about race. We don’t want it with our baristas, our neighbors, our spouses, or anyone really. We don’t quite know what do each February during Black History Month. For most white people that’s Martin Luther King Jr. awareness month with a nod to Harriet Tubman and not much sense of any other aspect of black history or culture. The ongoing tensions surrounding the deaths of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and so many other incidents are more than most of us know what to do with (if we want anything to do with them at all).

Most of us grew up unaffected by the racial divide, or at least unaware of how it affected us. Now, though, the divide has been brought to us and we’re at a loss. We don’t want that conversation. We’re uncomfortable with it. Our responses tend to fall into two main groups.

Group 1: Don’t want to talk about race

This first group contains the bigots and racists. They don’t want to talk about race (or maybe they do for all the wrong reasons) because they want to be the only race. This bunch deserves a whole lot of ink, most of it not very pleasant, and none of it here. They are despicable products of unfortunate upbringings.

The majority of this group, though, is not outright bigoted. Instead they are outright ignorant and therefore subtly prejudiced. They are unexposed to minority cultures (not just black, but all non-white cultures) and unaware of the complexities, difficulties, and hurts there. Really most of white America is part of, or has been part of, this group. They are the comfortable majority, and thus they determine the status quo. Life is good, so why rock the boat? It’s not that they don’t “care” about the needs of others — you won’t find a more cause-oriented bunch of advocates than young, privileged white people — but those needs never really intersect with their lives at a personal and relational level. And they’re happy to keep it that way because any other way is uncomfortable and intimidating. It’s a passive aggressive approach to racial separation, and one most don’t even realize they’re participating in. Their ignorance is blindness they mistake for bliss.

Group 2: Don’t know how to talk about race

Why White People Don't Like to Talk About Race

Most here are not the blissfully ignorant. You are racists. Blacks here have been called all kinds of racist names and all kinds of overtly racist opinion has been spoken. Blissful ignorance is not why a thread about black names has been created at least 2 times sine I've actively started participating here. The same goes for other things.

Now watch the racism you will see from people who are going to complain. They never complain when a thread by a white person denigrating blacks is posted. Only when a thread about whites is made do they suddenly become colorblind.
Yeah, lets create a straw man to bash. Whites are All bad, unless they acquiesce and repent.
You know IM2...He can't discuss anything except race relations and that's if all whites are bad and people of color are good. That's about the level of his thinking, sorry to say.
This a race relations section of USMB.

So what should im2 talk about in this forum ?

Secondly what's this "people of color" shit ?

Black ppl have no friends.

Its world against blk ppl.

Most Asians side with whites. You're always kissing their ass, talking them up about how smart they are.

Asian women love white guys.
Latinos don't like blk ppl.

Stop with this "ppl of color" crap.

Remember showing hatred and contempt towards blk ppl is ESSENTIAL for any group of non blk ppl. That shows their loyalty towards the system of racism-white supremacy.

Remember when I made that thread "I Was Wrong"? I did that to expose these guys for what they are. They all came running into that thread with all kinds of backslaps and congratulations because I was blaming blacks for all the problems in the black community. They felt validated because I was finally blaming black culture and admitting our true racial inferiority. You didn't see all the nasty personal attacks. No complaints about me starting a thread about race. I became a "sucessful" black person.

Jackson sent a few congratulatory posts just like every other racist here.

But now I have a problem according to his trifling ass. Why? Because I refuse to blame blacks for our problems and accept that continuing white racism has no effect It's Teflon history, everything is gone now even as we have a president that grew up during Jim Crow and a generations of whites alive today influenced by people that grew up during Apartheid.

The people howling the most about me or you are the racists. Jackson is a white supremacist. In 6 minutes CST, it will be 2020. In some parts of America it already is. From 2020 forth racists here are going to face the truth. I'm done arguing. It's time.

973202258-tumblr_nkamg2vYZC1tfx1mao1_1280.jpg

That's what time it is racists.​

Most white people want no part of the conversation about race. We don’t want it with our baristas, our neighbors, our spouses, or anyone really. We don’t quite know what do each February during Black History Month. For most white people that’s Martin Luther King Jr. awareness month with a nod to Harriet Tubman and not much sense of any other aspect of black history or culture. The ongoing tensions surrounding the deaths of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and so many other incidents are more than most of us know what to do with (if we want anything to do with them at all).

Most of us grew up unaffected by the racial divide, or at least unaware of how it affected us. Now, though, the divide has been brought to us and we’re at a loss. We don’t want that conversation. We’re uncomfortable with it. Our responses tend to fall into two main groups.

This first group contains the bigots and racists. They don’t want to talk about race (or maybe they do for all the wrong reasons) because they want to be the only race. This bunch deserves a whole lot of ink, most of it not very pleasant, and none of it here. They are despicable products of unfortunate upbringings.

The majority of this group, though, is not outright bigoted. Instead they are outright ignorant and therefore subtly prejudiced. They are unexposed to minority cultures (not just black, but all non-white cultures) and unaware of the complexities, difficulties, and hurts there. Really most of white America is part of, or has been part of, this group. They are the comfortable majority, and thus they determine the status quo. Life is good, so why rock the boat? It’s not that they don’t “care” about the needs of others — you won’t find a more cause-oriented bunch of advocates than young, privileged white people — but those needs never really intersect with their lives at a personal and relational level. And they’re happy to keep it that way because any other way is uncomfortable and intimidating. It’s a passive aggressive approach to racial separation, and one most don’t even realize they’re participating in. Their ignorance is blindness they mistake for bliss.

Most here are not the blissfully ignorant. You are racists. Blacks here have been called all kinds of racist names and all kinds of overtly racist opinion has been spoken. Blissful ignorance is not why a thread about black names has been created at least 2 times sine I've actively started participating here. The same goes for other things.

Now watch the racism you will see from people who are going to complain. They never complain when a thread by a white person denigrating blacks is posted. Only when a thread about whites is made do they suddenly become colorblind.

As a white guy, I love to discuss the topic of race. I'm not afraid of it. And I know how to talk about it.

Once upon a time, Hosea Williams, one of the men who was with Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was assassinated, had a tv talk show in Atlanta. It was on what they called prime cable (educational tv, aka public access.)

I appeared on Williams show once and, at the end of the season, they dropped Williams tv program. Not to brag, but Hosea didn't look too good when face to face with someone and no third party to rush to a commercial or cut off his competition.

I also know this race crap is your life. So, with the amount of paragraphs you post, it takes up the bulk of your life. It still comes back to the same thing: If you could get a better deal somewhere else, you'd pack your rags and go there.

Unlike those white people who are ignorant, brain dead, uneducated, or have been fed swill so that they have a guilt complex, I can stand proud and informed about my heritage, culture, race and ancestry.

America was founded by white Christians who saw themselves as the Israelites of the Bible. America is the New Jerusalem and we had a destiny to fulfill. Well, after years of liberalism and propaganda, the whites have been unfairly shamed about the past, misinformed, and brainwashed. You and I both know it. So, you pick a specific topic around the issue and we can discuss it.

America was not founded by whites and it's not the New Jerusalem. More than likely it's Babylon the great and things don't end well for Babylon the great.

Take that lie on back over to 4chan pal.

Whether America is or is not the New Jerusalem is a matter of opinion. But the fact is, the founders of this country believed just as I am stating. The first governing document of the New World opens like this:

"In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and advancements of the Christian faith ..." (The Mayflower Compact 1620)

A decade later (1630) aboard the ship the Arbella, John Winthrop delivered a sermon that portions has even been quoted by JFK and Ronald Reagan in their speeches and it is entitled "A Model of Christian Charity." Here are a couple of excerpts (and some reference points for you):

"First, in regard of the more near bond of marriage between Him and us, wherein He hath taken us to be His, after a most strict and peculiar manner, which will make Him the more jealous of our love and obedience. So He tells the people of Israel, you only have I known of all the families of the earth...

...Thus stands the cause between God and us. We are entered into covenant with Him for this work. We have taken out a commission

...He ratified this covenant and sealed our commission
..."

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf

All of these references only apply to the Israelites and nobody else. The sermon is full of these references so you KNOW who Winthrop is addressing - the posterity of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob / Israel.

Every signature on the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution of the United States are white men. And, within six months of the ratification of the United States Constitution, Congress fulfilled its duty relative to immigration and passed the uniform law regarding the Uniform Rule of Naturalization. Here is the applicable portion of that law:

" Section 1.Repealed by act of January 29, 1795, ch. 20. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That any alien, being a free white person,Alien whites may become citizens, and how. who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen thereof..."

United States Statutes at Large/Volume 1/1st Congress/2nd Session/Chapter 3 - Wikisource, the free online library

Those are the facts.
But continue with the facts and how blacks were free, became whole citizens and became landowners with all of the rights there of.

America was founded largely by people who believed America to be the regathering spot for the Israelites. It was not founded as a haven for other races, cultures, creeds, etc.

Blacks were never supposed to become citizens. Did you not read what I just posted? Have those of you who obsess over race in America ever read Roger Taney's opinion in the Dred Scott v. Sanford decision? That majority opinion is about 20 or so pages long (IIRC.) Let me give you a link to it:

Scott v. Sandford | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

I think you are conflating Rights with citizenship. We would have to discuss that aspect separately.

Yeah, lets create a straw man to bash. Whites are All bad, unless they acquiesce and repent.
You know IM2...He can't discuss anything except race relations and that's if all whites are bad and people of color are good. That's about the level of his thinking, sorry to say.

Most Asians side with whites. You're always kissing their ass, talking them up about how smart they are.

Remember showing hatred and contempt towards blk ppl is ESSENTIAL for any group of non blk ppl. That shows their loyalty towards the system of racism-white supremacy.

Remember when I made that thread "I Was Wrong"? I did that to expose these guys for what they are. They all came running into that thread with all kinds of backslaps and congratulations because I was blaming blacks for all the problems in the black community. They felt validated because I was finally blaming black culture and admitting our true racial inferiority. You didn't see all the nasty personal attacks. No complaints about me starting a thread about race. I became a "sucessful" black person.

But now I have a problem according to his trifling ass. Why? Because I refuse to blame blacks for our problems and accept that continuing white racism has no effect It's Teflon history, everything is gone now even as we have a president that grew up during Jim Crow and a generations of whites alive today influenced by people that grew up during Apartheid.

The people howling the most about me or you are the racists. Jackson is a white supremacist. In 6 minutes CST, it will be 2020. In some parts of America it already is. From 2020 forth racists here are going to face the truth. I'm done arguing. It's time.

Dude, I came onto this thread to discuss the topic in a civil manner and you jumped on me as if I just raped your daughter.

Whether for good or bad, I don't lie and I'm not going to sugar coat things for you to make you feel good. There is no point going off on people that you don't like. If you think they're wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

IF you're as fed up as you pretend then the talking should be over and you should be in the streets physically doing something about it. The banter and shock jock tactics you want to employ are the antithesis of a valid and constructive discussion, but rant away. I will be content to present the facts and ask you some very uncomfortable questions.

He used the word properly. ......

Ask him. I trust him to give you an honest answer.

What's the point? ....

To educate you.
Unkotare, you have always had this false self image of superiority over others. It is not well founded. Why don't you just be nice, stop belittling others and just get along?
Unkotare is a white boy from California. ...

White? Yes
Boy? Maybe 40 years ago
From California? WTF? ???????

I am sorry if I sent you notes of congratulations and that was someway askewed to me being a white supremacist. I'm not. I have a black grandson and love him very much and adore his friends. I know...to little too late or whatever. Between him and all the grandsons in their teens...he is no different. makes mistakes, gets over them and learns from them, better than one of the others, but there is no difference with him or their friends.

Maybe the difference is we as a family look for ways we are the same rather than the ways we are different. And it isn't caused by skin color, just kids being kids.

Great post, Porter.

Dude, I came onto this thread to discuss the topic in a civil manner and you jumped on me as if I just raped your daughter.

Whether for good or bad, I don't lie and I'm not going to sugar coat things for you to make you feel good. There is no point going off on people that you don't like. If you think they're wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

IF you're as fed up as you pretend then the talking should be over and you should be in the streets physically doing something about it. The banter and shock jock tactics you want to employ are the antithesis of a valid and constructive discussion, but rant away. I will be content to present the facts and ask you some very uncomfortable questions.

My question is why can’t IM2 stop talking about race?
He has a real hang up and inferiority complex about his black skin.
Wrong. You guys talk about race all the time. You cry about me doing it because you know what I say is true. And I know it's true when I post it. So this ain't about MY inferiority. Maybe you feel inferior because you can't refute the facts, but that's not my problem.
What facts?

As a white guy, I love to discuss the topic of race. I'm not afraid of it. And I know how to talk about it.

Once upon a time, Hosea Williams, one of the men who was with Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was assassinated, had a tv talk show in Atlanta. It was on what they called prime cable (educational tv, aka public access.)

I appeared on Williams show once and, at the end of the season, they dropped Williams tv program. Not to brag, but Hosea didn't look too good when face to face with someone and no third party to rush to a commercial or cut off his competition.

I also know this race crap is your life. So, with the amount of paragraphs you post, it takes up the bulk of your life. It still comes back to the same thing: If you could get a better deal somewhere else, you'd pack your rags and go there.

Unlike those white people who are ignorant, brain dead, uneducated, or have been fed swill so that they have a guilt complex, I can stand proud and informed about my heritage, culture, race and ancestry.

America was founded by white Christians who saw themselves as the Israelites of the Bible. America is the New Jerusalem and we had a destiny to fulfill. Well, after years of liberalism and propaganda, the whites have been unfairly shamed about the past, misinformed, and brainwashed. You and I both know it. So, you pick a specific topic around the issue and we can discuss it.

America was not founded by whites and it's not the New Jerusalem. More than likely it's Babylon the great and things don't end well for Babylon the great.

Whether America is or is not the New Jerusalem is a matter of opinion. But the fact is, the founders of this country believed just as I am stating. The first governing document of the New World opens like this:

"In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and advancements of the Christian faith ..." (The Mayflower Compact 1620)

A decade later (1630) aboard the ship the Arbella, John Winthrop delivered a sermon that portions has even been quoted by JFK and Ronald Reagan in their speeches and it is entitled "A Model of Christian Charity." Here are a couple of excerpts (and some reference points for you):

"First, in regard of the more near bond of marriage between Him and us, wherein He hath taken us to be His, after a most strict and peculiar manner, which will make Him the more jealous of our love and obedience. So He tells the people of Israel, you only have I known of all the families of the earth...

...Thus stands the cause between God and us. We are entered into covenant with Him for this work. We have taken out a commission

..."

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf

All of these references only apply to the Israelites and nobody else. The sermon is full of these references so you KNOW who Winthrop is addressing - the posterity of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob / Israel.

Every signature on the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution of the United States are white men. And, within six months of the ratification of the United States Constitution, Congress fulfilled its duty relative to immigration and passed the uniform law regarding the Uniform Rule of Naturalization. Here is the applicable portion of that law:

" Section 1.Repealed by act of January 29, 1795, ch. 20. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That any alien, being a free white person,Alien whites may become citizens, and how. who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen thereof..."

United States Statutes at Large/Volume 1/1st Congress/2nd Session/Chapter 3 - Wikisource, the free online library

Those are the facts.
But continue with the facts and how blacks were free, became whole citizens and became landowners with all of the rights there of.

Yes continue with the facts and how blacks were free, became whole citizens and became landowners with all of the rights there of.

After slavery was made illegal there was a short time called reconstruction whereby it appeared the races would come together and unite. There were some gains, blacks were holding elected office, it appeared that America was beginning the work of healing after just over 200 years of slavery. Newly freed blacks were finding work, starting businesses building towns and communities. The former slaves were even promised land as a new start. But in the country where all men are created equal, where all men have the opportunity to make themselves what they want, this kind of upward mobility just could not happen. Andrew Johnson killed the promise of 40 acres and a mule.

In 1863, the President of the United States signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves only in states held by the confederacy. On January 31, 1865, the 13th Amendment was proposed which ended slavery officially in the United States, yet it took until March 16, 1995 for the last state to ratify this amendment. On June 13, 1866, the 14th Amendment was proposed whereby American citizenship was supposed to be granted to every citizen regardless of race or former condition of servitude. Yet it took until March 18, 1976, for the last state to ratify this amendment. On February 26, 1869, the first right to vote was granted to black men only but it took until 1997 for the last state to ratify. I present these 3 amendments because of what they were supposed to end. That would be the end of white racism by practice, law and policy. But that did not happen. Each and every time a non white group has been allowed more and more of what whites have gotten, there has been a white backlash.

A 1883 Supreme Court opinion states that “when a man has emerged from slavery … there must be some stage in the progress of his elevation when he takes the rank of a mere citizen and ceases to be the special favorite of the laws.” That was two decades after emancipation. I think the supreme court was a little ahead of itself. Even still that shows us a purposeful blindness to reality by whites which carries over into today. To ignore the special favorite of the law status whites had perpetually enjoyed to that point is another early example of the history of psychosis that has existed in parts of white America.

When it is said we talk about a history of racist laws and policy many do not understand the full extent of what is meant. According to the 13th Amendment, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, nor any place subject to their jurisdiction. “I think people really need to understand the impact of the underlined words. After emancipation, Blacks were arrested, tried, found guilty and sent to prison for crimes such as vagrancy, cussing in front of whites, jaywalking and other minor or non offenses for whites. There has been no amendment to change this part of the 13th Amendment meaning that in reality slavery could still exist in America today. After slavery ended:

1. Employment was required of all freedmen; violators faced vagrancy charges

2. Freedmen could not assemble without the presence of a white person

3. Freedmen were assumed to be agricultural workers and their duties and hours were tightly regulated

4. Freedmen were not to be taught to read or write

5. Public facilities were segregated

6. Violators of these laws were subject to being whipped or branded.
Because of this, blacks could be returned to slavery and thousands were. This was done by a process called convict leasing. Pointing out the existence of convict leasing is very important. Convict leasing was a cruel and inhumane system rife with abuse. Convict leasing was also HUGE business. For example, at one point convict leasing amounted for almost ¾’s of all state revenue in Alabama. Black convict labor literally fed, clothed and housed white Alabama state employees. Of course the spin off effects of that was the state employees/agencies spending money in businesses throughout the state. Companies paid states to use convicts to build railroads and to work in mines. Thousands of blacks died as a result of convict leasing. In the 1873 one quarter of the blacks use as convict labor died. They were tortured and made to fight to entertain prison staff. There were secret graveyards where the laborers that died as result of the “entertainment” were buried. This was free labor no different from slavery. It is an example of how whites have played with the law in order to maintain a system of white racial preference.

“The leasing out of state convicts to private hands has its basis in the minds of such people as John T. Milner of Alabama. Milner was no ordinary man, rather he was a Southern elite who "was in the vanguard of that new theory of industrial forced labor," writing in 1859 that "black labor marshaled into the regimented productivity of factory settings would be the key to the economic development of Alabama and the South." Milner's idea of using regimented black labor can be seen in his involvement of a project for the Blue River railroad company in Alabama. In 1859, he issued a plan for the laying of rail in Montgomery, "presenting statistical evidence to demonstrate the potential economic benefit to Montgomery of securing connections with Decatur," a city north of Montgomery. He argued that the Blue River could build its own track in nearby Jones Valley with the use of slave labor. Yet, in Milner's mind, this slave labor had to be managed by whites. He stated " A negro who can set a saw, or run a grist mill, or work in a blacksmith shop, can do work as cheaply in a rolling mill, even now, as white men do at the North, provided he has an overseer, a southern man, who knows how to manage negroes." (emphasis added) After the end of the Civil War, Milner's plan changed, but he was convinced that "the future of blacks in America rested on how whites chose to manage them." To this end, in the 1870s, he moved with purpose to acquire the black convict labor that Alabama's prisons were offering up. He took these convicts and put them to work in coal mines, treating them barbarically.

Records of Milner's various mines and slave farms in southern Alabama, some of which were owned by one of his business partners - a cousin to an investor in the Bibb Steam Mill - tell the stories of black women stripped naked and whipped, of hundreds of men starved, changed, and beaten, of workers perpetually lice-ridden and barely clothed.”

If you meant to make a reply to me, it did not take.

"But continue with the facts and how blacks were free, became whole citizens and became landowners with all of the rights there of."

A study on the transfer of wealth from Southern slaveholding families to their children helps explain how these advantages came about. Strikingly, the inheritance of actual material profits from the slavery-based economy isn’t the culprit some suppose. The economists Leah Platt Boustan of Princeton University; Katherine Eriksson of the University of California, Davis; and Philipp Ager of the University of Southern Denmark found in their study, “The Intergenerational Effects of a Large Wealth Shock: White Southerners After the Civil War,” that white resilience to economic catastrophe has been almost impenetrable.

According to the study, the largest slaveholding families in the South took a huge hit after the Civil War—a 38 percent drop at the median and a 75 percent loss among the top wealthiest families between 1860, a peak year for slavery profits, and 1870. But by 1880, many of the sons of those families had already recovered that wealth. By 1900, the sons of the richest slaveholders had not only financially recovered but were wealthier than the sons of families who were just as wealthy before the Civil War, but from mostly non-slaveholding assets and activities.

It took just one generation for white slaveholding families to regain their riches, and this rebound was not due to an inheritance of slavery profits. Much of that was devoured by the war, emancipation, and regressive crop productivity in the South after the war. Nor was the recovery owed to an inheritance of entrepreneurial skills, which the study ruled out because of the drastic transition of the economy from agricultural-based to industrial-based.

The 1940s were also the period when white families were able to further enhance their wealth prospects through new credit and finance instruments created as part of the New Deal. At this point, white families and farm owners were taking advantage of loans created by what was then called the Federal Housing Administration and the Farm Security Administration to leverage their way into wealth. Whereas before the Civil War, mortgages and credit were collateralized on the backs of enslaved Africans as properties, by 1940 white families could obtain mortgages and credit collateralized by land, houses, and farms. And they didn’t have to come from wealthy families or be wealthy themselves to obtain this financing.

African American farmers and families, meanwhile, were unable to establish the wealth that former slaveholding families were re-establishing, nor were they able to access the FHA and FSA loans at the same rates as whites. The Atlantic’s Vann Newkirk describes in his story “The Great Land Robbery” how black farmers lost their land and farms during this time period:

While most of the black land loss appears on its face to have been through legal mechanisms—“the tax sale; the partition sale; and the foreclosure”—it mainly stemmed from illegal pressures, including discrimination in federal and state programs, swindles by lawyers and speculators, unlawful denials of private loans, and even outright acts of violence or intimidation. Discriminatory loan servicing and loan denial by white-controlled [Farmers Home Administration] and [Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service] committees forced black farmers into foreclosure, after which their property could be purchased by wealthy landowners, almost all of whom were white.

University of California, Irvine School of Law professor Mehrsa Baradaran calls this the “Jim Crow Credit” era, when the banking industry began greenlighting low-cost loans for white families, fully insured by the federal government in case those loans ever went into default. African American families were often passed over for these same loans, and redlined into racially and economically segregated ghettoes where housing conditions were of far lesser quality.

This financial apartheid was not limited to just housing. Under Title I of the National Housing Act of 1934, the federal government created a program that offered loans not for the home itself, but for home improvements, to renovate aging and blighted houses. It was one of the first forms of a national consumer credit system, offering low-interest rate loans, without collateral, and backed by the federal government. These loans inspired banks to start or expand their own consumer credit lines, which quickly grew into the credit system as we know it today.

“The FHA transformed the consumer credit market by lowering its risks and enabling banks, finance companies, and credit card companies to profit from consumer loans for the first time,” writes Baradaran. “If FHA home loans created suburban life, that life was enhanced by consumer loans that allowed the new middle class to purchase luxuries like cars, appliances, and apparel. The consumer credit market for whites shifted from the rigid and expensive installment lending model to the flexible and less expensive ‘revolving credit’ model enabled by the credit card.”

African Americans were redlined out of access to these lines of credit as well. In fact, black consumers were not given a fair chance to participate in this credit market until legislation was passed in 1974, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, which required banks to approve credit based on the credit score system we use today. White families, meanwhile, had 40 years of unmitigated access to credit to build wealth through homes and to purchase luxuries on top of that.

The Amazing Resiliency of White Wealth - CityLab

The facts. Don't be too scared to read them.

..."

Those are the facts.

Yes continue with the facts and how blacks were free, became whole citizens and became landowners with all of the rights there of.

After slavery was made illegal there was a short time called reconstruction whereby it appeared the races would come together and unite. There were some gains, blacks were holding elected office, it appeared that America was beginning the work of healing after just over 200 years of slavery. Newly freed blacks were finding work, starting businesses building towns and communities. The former slaves were even promised land as a new start. But in the country where all men are created equal, where all men have the opportunity to make themselves what they want, this kind of upward mobility just could not happen. Andrew Johnson killed the promise of 40 acres and a mule.

In 1863, the President of the United States signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves only in states held by the confederacy. On January 31, 1865, the 13th Amendment was proposed which ended slavery officially in the United States, yet it took until March 16, 1995 for the last state to ratify this amendment. On June 13, 1866, the 14th Amendment was proposed whereby American citizenship was supposed to be granted to every citizen regardless of race or former condition of servitude. Yet it took until March 18, 1976, for the last state to ratify this amendment. On February 26, 1869, the first right to vote was granted to black men only but it took until 1997 for the last state to ratify. I present these 3 amendments because of what they were supposed to end. That would be the end of white racism by practice, law and policy. But that did not happen. Each and every time a non white group has been allowed more and more of what whites have gotten, there has been a white backlash.

A 1883 Supreme Court opinion states that “when a man has emerged from slavery … there must be some stage in the progress of his elevation when he takes the rank of a mere citizen and ceases to be the special favorite of the laws.” That was two decades after emancipation. I think the supreme court was a little ahead of itself. Even still that shows us a purposeful blindness to reality by whites which carries over into today. To ignore the special favorite of the law status whites had perpetually enjoyed to that point is another early example of the history of psychosis that has existed in parts of white America.

When it is said we talk about a history of racist laws and policy many do not understand the full extent of what is meant. According to the 13th Amendment, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, nor any place subject to their jurisdiction. “I think people really need to understand the impact of the underlined words. After emancipation, Blacks were arrested, tried, found guilty and sent to prison for crimes such as vagrancy, cussing in front of whites, jaywalking and other minor or non offenses for whites. There has been no amendment to change this part of the 13th Amendment meaning that in reality slavery could still exist in America today. After slavery ended:

3. Freedmen were assumed to be agricultural workers and their duties and hours were tightly regulated

Because of this, blacks could be returned to slavery and thousands were. This was done by a process called convict leasing. Pointing out the existence of convict leasing is very important. Convict leasing was a cruel and inhumane system rife with abuse. Convict leasing was also HUGE business. For example, at one point convict leasing amounted for almost ¾’s of all state revenue in Alabama. Black convict labor literally fed, clothed and housed white Alabama state employees. Of course the spin off effects of that was the state employees/agencies spending money in businesses throughout the state. Companies paid states to use convicts to build railroads and to work in mines. Thousands of blacks died as a result of convict leasing. In the 1873 one quarter of the blacks use as convict labor died. They were tortured and made to fight to entertain prison staff. There were secret graveyards where the laborers that died as result of the “entertainment” were buried. This was free labor no different from slavery. It is an example of how whites have played with the law in order to maintain a system of white racial preference.

“The leasing out of state convicts to private hands has its basis in the minds of such people as John T. Milner of Alabama. Milner was no ordinary man, rather he was a Southern elite who "was in the vanguard of that new theory of industrial forced labor," writing in 1859 that "black labor marshaled into the regimented productivity of factory settings would be the key to the economic development of Alabama and the South." Milner's idea of using regimented black labor can be seen in his involvement of a project for the Blue River railroad company in Alabama. In 1859, he issued a plan for the laying of rail in Montgomery, "presenting statistical evidence to demonstrate the potential economic benefit to Montgomery of securing connections with Decatur," a city north of Montgomery. He argued that the Blue River could build its own track in nearby Jones Valley with the use of slave labor. Yet, in Milner's mind, this slave labor had to be managed by whites. He stated " A negro who can set a saw, or run a grist mill, or work in a blacksmith shop, can do work as cheaply in a rolling mill, even now, as white men do at the North, provided he has an overseer, a southern man, who knows how to manage negroes." (emphasis added) After the end of the Civil War, Milner's plan changed, but he was convinced that "the future of blacks in America rested on how whites chose to manage them." To this end, in the 1870s, he moved with purpose to acquire the black convict labor that Alabama's prisons were offering up. He took these convicts and put them to work in coal mines, treating them barbarically.

Records of Milner's various mines and slave farms in southern Alabama, some of which were owned by one of his business partners - a cousin to an investor in the Bibb Steam Mill - tell the stories of black women stripped naked and whipped, of hundreds of men starved, changed, and beaten, of workers perpetually lice-ridden and barely clothed.”

Were you aware of the fact that the 14th Amendment never passed constitutional muster? As a result, many state and local legislatures were content to ignore that law.

The Fourteenth Amendment is Unconstitutional - Judge L.H. Perez

https://www.constitution.org/14ll/no14th.htm

Prove Its Real – Fighting to repeal the 14th amendment and restore the original form of government.

Jackson,

What you need to do is stop telling me to do things I've been doing, read the Information and educate other whites so they don't show the ignorance you do. This is 2020 and forums like this are part of our society and the same advocacy must be done in these platforms as standing on the streets.

For all the white slave owners , there where many more whites that never wanted it or profited by it. And we fought THEM and WE died in the civil war. And we don't have numbers over our heads and we didn't profit either way...we cant be enumerated. Don't forget ..them, or US.

Last edited:

White conservatives don’t like to talk about race – and for obvious reasons.
lol...Right to the bottom line eh! no messin around...good job on discussing your philosophy of race bro...this/that post is exactly what I have been claiming white liberals need/use race for.

For all the white slave owners , there where many more whites that never wanted it or profited by it. And we fought THEM and WE died in the civil war. And we don't have numbers over our heads and we didn't profit either way...we cant be enumerated. Don't forget ..them, or US.
Whats this "we" business?

What war have you fought in ?

Whats this "we" business?

What war have you fought in ?
The war against people that take everything literally. And your outrage stems from what exactly...?

..."

Those are the facts.

In today's world, an American citizen, wife & mom passionately condemns ignorant family, people & community harming PRO BLACK #Anti-Social-Behaviors that IM2 refuses to address..

⚠️ Strong Language

#ProBlack Community Logic, Fvvkery, Atrocities, #WhiteSupremacy:

3:47 min.

Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Ben Carson.png

Peace.

I'm White and talk about race sometimes Accept I know i will get vilified if "we" criticize popular liberal racial issues, because liberals are sooo open minded they will crucify you for it...

Forum List

Back