Why would a God even need a hell?

I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.

There Is No God!! Fairy tales are for children!

If the Bible is a bunch of fairy tales, for children, as old as you are you should have no problem identifying the moral and teaching of any given story.

Lets start at the beginning....The talking serpent, the expulsion from Eden, and all that. What are the hard learned lessons of the distant past that this story intended to teach bronze age children?

I'm all ears...

My explanation to all of that ancient bullshit has been made a dozen or more times. Actually fairy tales are much more honest. At least nobody gets hurt or has to tie up their hard earned money in that.

I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.

If the Bible is a bunch of fairy tales, for children, as old as you are you should have no problem identifying the moral and teaching of any given story.

Lets start at the beginning....The talking serpent, the expulsion from Eden, and all that. What are the hard learned lessons of the distant past that this story intended to teach bronze age children?

I'm all ears...

My explanation to all of that ancient bullshit has been made a dozen or more times. Actually fairy tales are much more honest. At least nobody gets hurt or has to tie up their hard earned money in that.

If as you say the stories are fairy tales for children then if they were like every other people and culture they were intended for instruction, not likely a bunch of ancient bullshit. And its never been a secret that Torah happens to mean instruction.

I was looking for something specific.

What or who does the talking serpent represent, what do trees with fruit that is pleasing to the eye and good to eat represent? Why was it forbidden to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? What does the fruit eaten represent? How and why did those who eat of it die? What type of death did they die? Where is east of Eden? What is a Cherubim ? What does the flaming and flashing sword that turns in every direction mean?

Now I know it is much easier for an old curmudgeon like you to just blow it all off as irrelevant but that doesn't conceal the fact that for your entire life you haven't been able to figure out what those ignorant ancient goat herders were teaching their children.

Seriously, if you can't figure out what ancient goat herders expected children to comprehend, then perhaps you should include in your speculations that modern people may not be as highly intelligent as you like to think they are, including you.

Last edited:

I'm all ears...

If as you say the stories are fairy tales for children then if they were like every other people and culture they were intended for instruction, not likely a bunch of ancient bullshit. And its never been a secret that Torah happens to mean instruction.

I was looking for something specific.

What or who does the talking serpent represent, what do trees with fruit that is pleasing to the eye and good to eat represent? Why was it forbidden to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? What does the fruit eaten represent? How and why did those who eat of it die? What type of death did they die? Where is east of Eden? What is a Cherubim ? What does the flaming and flashing sword that turns in every direction mean?

Now I know it is much easier for an old curmudgeon like you to just blow it all off as irrelevant but that doesn't conceal the fact that for your entire life you haven't been able to figure out what those ignorant ancient goat herders were teaching their children.

Seriously, if you can't figure out what ancient goat herders expected children to comprehend, then perhaps you should include in your speculations that modern people may not be as highly intelligent as you like to think they are, including you.

I'm doing just fine Thanks. I live in a brick basement rancher on 1 1/2 acres of zoysia grass with 220 ft. of lake frontage. I have a built in irrigation system which is supplied from the lake. I have a new dock, new pontoon boat and two 2014 cars. I've been retired with a comfortable pension for over twenty years. See.....now you won't have to worry about me any longer.

Being created in the flesh is bull , but its a cross we all must bear. Your ex husband is meaningless to the future God has for you.

A god who beats me in order to make me suffer is just as meaningless to me as an abusive ex-husband would be.

I know , which is why your future with him has absolutely nothing to do with what you think of him.
In Rev. 1:8 God is the beginning and the end of all life ; meaning he is the complete cycle of our lives ; everything we go through ,he planned it.

LOL....we suspected you would have all the answers. Have you reinforced that aluminum liner for your hat yet?

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."
~Dr. Albert Einstein~

"The day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter"
~Thomas Jefferson~

Last edited:
I'm doing just fine Thanks. I live in a brick basement rancher on 1 1/2 acres of zoysia grass with 220 ft. of lake frontage. I have a built in irrigation system which is supplied from the lake. I have a new dock, new pontoon boat and two 2014 cars. I've been retired with a comfortable pension for over twenty years. See.....now you won't have to worry about me any longer.

Wow, you really live in a brick basement rancher and have 1 1/2 acres of zoysia grass? LOL. Seriously? Your only measure of worth at 80 something years old are the material possessions that you won't have in only a few years? Awesome.

And you think I am worried about you? Because you are wasting your twilight years deriding fairy tales for children that you have never been able to comprehend? LOL..How does it affect me if you remain a jerk for the rest of your days? Truth be known, if you did, I wouldn't give a rats ass. Why should I worry about you? You have it made in the shade, right? And even when they take your license away you can polish the fenders of those two 2014 cars sitting in your driveway, and you will always have a lot of lawn to mow.

If you are really that determined to remain blind, do yourself a favor and stick with diddling around the garden. thinking isn't your strong suit. You can't win with a losing hand, and you are at risk of losing everything that you thought you had,.... and I'm not talking about material possessions.

Last edited:

Wow, you really live in a brick basement rancher and have 1 1/2 acres of zoysia grass? LOL. Seriously? Your only measure of worth at 80 something years old are the material possessions that you won't have in only a few years? Awesome.

And you think I am worried about you? Because you are wasting your twilight years deriding fairy tales for children that you have never been able to comprehend? LOL..How does it affect me if you remain a jerk for the rest of your days? Truth be known, if you did, I wouldn't give a rats ass. Why should I worry about you? You have it made in the shade, right? And even when they take your license away you can polish the fenders of those two 2014 cars sitting in your driveway, and you will always have a lot of lawn to mow.

If you are really that determined to remain blind, do yourself a favor and stick with diddling around the garden. thinking isn't your strong suit. You can't win with a losing hand, and you are at risk of losing everything that you thought you had,.... and I'm not talking about material possessions.

I have my hand on your remedy.....JERK It.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

Last edited:

Classy..

Thanks for helping me to show the wisdom of God in giving the command to refrain from the vile and contaminating flesh of unclean creatures that do not ruminate and for so perfectly demonstrating the terrifying and disturbing consequences for failing to stand guard over the purity of your own mind.

As much as I dislike Christians ,I would not even put them in their hell; its too evil of a place.

Classy..

Thanks for helping me to show the wisdom of God in giving the command to refrain from the vile and contaminating flesh of unclean creatures that do not ruminate and for so perfectly demonstrating the terrifying and disturbing consequences for failing to stand guard over the purity of your own mind.

Whatever in the world that means

Classy..

Seriously? Damn.

And some people don't believe in Gehenna, the realm of the dead.

Imagine that!

Classy..

Seriously? Damn.

And some people don't believe in Gehenna, the realm of the dead.

Imagine that!

We suspected you would know all about it. Reminds me of a preacher on Sunday morning. He selects a verse from the bible, memorizes it then pontificates for 45 minutes over something he has a few seconds of verbiage to cover. Makes him look like a real champion even though he had all week to prepare it.

Why would a God need a hell? Why would a God make an eternal monument out of sin?

Why would a God need a hell? Why would a God make an eternal monument out of sin?

You must be hard of reading.

God doesn't need a hell, apparently humans do. Reality exists as it is. When a person adopts irrational beliefs that contradict reality then they are bound to suffer day and night and are bound by those beliefs to say and do stupid things that injure themselves and the ones they love. When they pray to an imaginary being they never get an answer so to win the favor of whatever imaginary being they have created in their mind they become even more irrational do even more stupid things and on and on, their mental health slowly disintegrating into nothingness. Reality to these unfortunate souls is just like a consuming fire that will never go out.

Hell, Gehenna, is a metaphorical allusion to this smoldering rot and stench of decaying minds emanating from those who have made their home in this alternative reality feasting on mountains of superstitious and irrational garbage like every foul and loathsome beast and bird ends up in the garbage pit, believing it is a great blessing from God.

BTW, Hell is not restricted to only the religious who have either made great errors in their speculations or have been misled into its captivity. Campbell is a perfect example of an unbeliever whose self created prison of ignorance is not any less of a hell than the prisons of ignorance that believers have created for themselves.

I have read the Bible from cover to cover twice. Hell didn't seem to be a major focus. Some of the references to hell were very ambiguous. I think the modern Christian view of hell is heavily influenced by a book called, "Dante's Inferno" rather than the Bible. I'm not totally convinced that hell is a Judeo-Christian concept. I have my doubts.

My view of God, and I don't know God, ................ but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering,

I believe the view that this view of God is common, Biblically inaccurate and philosophically harmful. The Judeo-Christian God is an analogy of powerful people in real life. The way the Bible teaches us to deal with God is the exact way we should deal with powerful people in real life. Having a false view of God makes Christians ill equipped to interact with their superiors. The God of the Bible has the same characteristics of arrogant jerks that always win. Yahweh chose Jacob the liar and David the murderer as His greatest proteges. Bosses in real life promote the undeserving jerks. Kissing God's butt is a very valuable skill to have. It teaches you to kiss "God's" butt in real life.

Why would God need a hell , he has a Christ.

Why would He need a Christ?

In my view ,because he wanted a personal family. So he gave birth to a Son. Now that was Christ , the Word , Jesus. Now the Word turned out so good, that I think it made God want more children. So God's great mind became pregnant with humanity.

Forum List

Back