workers see highest pay raise in nearly a decade

Bragging about a 2.8% increase in salaries

Unemployment is at 3.8 percent, employers just got close to a 50 percent cut in their taxes. All that can trickle down to workers is 2.8 percent.
After sitting on stagnant wages for a decade employees are supposed to celebrate 2.8 percent?
I haven’t received a raise in two years. I bust my ass for this company; I do overtime to help meet deadlines; I’m one of the most skilled carpenters in the company with 20 years experience in the industry; and my cheap ass boss can’t unpinch even a $.50 per hour raise even after Donald and the GOP made him more wealthy off the backs of my child and grandchildren.

Well hell son. Good carpenters are in demand. Any great carpenter would be hired by a company.

Change jobs. Good carpenters usually are well paid. Sounds like your boss is an asshole.
i would think anyone with a good trade skill would be in demand. this is a good thing, period.
I agree. And yes, I could get a job as a carpenter or a painter almost any place, but I really do like my gig. I work 5 am to 1 pm, which means my afternoons are free. I never commute more than 45 minutes. And I work mostly in medical facilities, which means I’m always indoors, not baking in the sun on a roof, or digging holes, or freezing my ass off in the winter.

I (and not just I) just feel unappreciated; like I’m making this guy money hand over fist, but I can’t even get a measly cost of living increase over two years. To be fair, I am paid a good wage, but with my skills to, I could make more. And I’m not even expecting him to pay me union wages, but he has to put up more or he’s going to lose me and other skilled workers.
i've got a good office job, sure. but this company really doesn't believe in raises, so far. that's a factor i have to consider as well. i'm happy with money at least for today and we have a nice building in a nice area. medical benefits are off the chain as well which is important to me as i grow older of course.

i am glad to see a better economy today if i do decide to look around than i had 6 years ago when i lost my job and it took a year and a half to climb back into things. part of that i put on me and my own mindset but it sure wasn't easy. that experience alone makes me *not* want to look around even though it's suppose to be better.

like you - i know i can do a lot more here at work and i'm not even worried about the $. i'd rather have a chance to build something meaningful for the company and our customers.

if you have to make a change, hope you land in a good spot and have solid choices in front of you.
I think many employees are in your situation

They have just gone through 12 years of fearing for their jobs, enduring layoffs, struggling to get back on their feet

They are complacent and afraid to demand higher wages

Employers are aware of that and refuse to offer wage increases
That is why people celebrate a minimal 2.8 percent increase

U.S. Workers Get Biggest Pay Increase in Nearly a Decade

not too long ago there were anti-trump posts talking about how wages have not increased.

gonna need to redo that occupydemocrats.org powerpoint slide now.

So?

Sure, average pay rise over the last 12 months was 2.8%.

But the inflation rate is now up to 2.9%.

US Inflation Rate at 2.9% in June, Highest in 6 Years - Live Trading News

And it has risen over 70% in the last year.

United States Inflation Rate | 1914-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

That means the average pay rise is NOT keeping pace with inflation.

That is BAD news.

I haven’t received a raise in two years. I bust my ass for this company; I do overtime to help meet deadlines; I’m one of the most skilled carpenters in the company with 20 years experience in the industry; and my cheap ass boss can’t unpinch even a $.50 per hour raise even after Donald and the GOP made him more wealthy off the backs of my child and grandchildren.

Well hell son. Good carpenters are in demand. Any great carpenter would be hired by a company.

Change jobs. Good carpenters usually are well paid. Sounds like your boss is an asshole.
i would think anyone with a good trade skill would be in demand. this is a good thing, period.
I agree. And yes, I could get a job as a carpenter or a painter almost any place, but I really do like my gig. I work 5 am to 1 pm, which means my afternoons are free. I never commute more than 45 minutes. And I work mostly in medical facilities, which means I’m always indoors, not baking in the sun on a roof, or digging holes, or freezing my ass off in the winter.

I (and not just I) just feel unappreciated; like I’m making this guy money hand over fist, but I can’t even get a measly cost of living increase over two years. To be fair, I am paid a good wage, but with my skills to, I could make more. And I’m not even expecting him to pay me union wages, but he has to put up more or he’s going to lose me and other skilled workers.
i've got a good office job, sure. but this company really doesn't believe in raises, so far. that's a factor i have to consider as well. i'm happy with money at least for today and we have a nice building in a nice area. medical benefits are off the chain as well which is important to me as i grow older of course.

i am glad to see a better economy today if i do decide to look around than i had 6 years ago when i lost my job and it took a year and a half to climb back into things. part of that i put on me and my own mindset but it sure wasn't easy. that experience alone makes me *not* want to look around even though it's suppose to be better.

like you - i know i can do a lot more here at work and i'm not even worried about the $. i'd rather have a chance to build something meaningful for the company and our customers.

if you have to make a change, hope you land in a good spot and have solid choices in front of you.
I think many employees are in your situation

They have just gone through 12 years of fearing for their jobs, enduring layoffs, struggling to get back on their feet

They are complacent and afraid to demand higher wages

Employers are aware of that and refuse to offer wage increases
That is why people celebrate a minimal 2.8 percent increase
maybe, but we're looking at a decade. this would include the obama years where we didn't get 2.8% during that time at all, *if* this article is correct. all those years of fearing for jobs was under both obama and bush, so there isn't "one side is to blame" for me in this instance. and if they refuse to offer increases, how do we get an average of 2.8% raise, highest in 10+ years, if they *refuse* to give these raises.

i'll agree the past 8-12 years has developed a mindset for the american worker. i don't view the "good news" today as an end result but a step in a direction i *hope* can stay positive and i don't care who is president for that.

to call out people celebrating the biggest increase in a decade as insignificant or settling for peanuts is strange to me when you tout a side that never even got the american people that. now if you choose to say obama did that and trump is taking the credit then that would be a different debate as trumps policies have been drastically different than obamas. if his policies took 10 years to kick in, then i naturally would question those policies.

btw - thank you for just conversation around this and not insults.

not too long ago there were anti-trump posts talking about how wages have not increased.

So?

That is BAD news.
i never said it was keeping up and i never again said this was the coup de grace as people are trying to make it out to be. it's a positive step i hope we continue. if you and others insist on whipping your dicks out and peeing on the parade, go ahead. but it speaks more of you than us.

Unemployment is at 3.8 percent, employers just got close to a 50 percent cut in their taxes. All that can trickle down to workers is 2.8 percent.
After sitting on stagnant wages for a decade employees are supposed to celebrate 2.8 percent?
it's a positive direction. why does this upset you so much? if this was happening under obama, good.

good things don't become bad simply because you don't like someone. lord when will people grow the fuck up and see this? far too many people are lost inside their own ID.
You know why it upsets me?

Because I have lived long enough to realize this economic prosperity will last only a short time. These economic peaks are the time when employees make up for periods of stagnant wages ......it is not happening

As soon as the economy turns south, employers will again beat the drum of......we would like to pay you more, but we can’t afford it

it's a positive direction. why does this upset you so much? if this was happening under obama, good.

good things don't become bad simply because you don't like someone. lord when will people grow the fuck up and see this? far too many people are lost inside their own ID.

Because I have lived long enough to realize this economic prosperity will last only a short time. These economic peaks are the time when employees make up for periods of stagnant wages ......it is not happening

As soon as the economy turns south, employers will again beat the drum of......we would like to pay you more, but we can’t afford it
i can't disagree. i've lived long enough to see both sides of the political aisle fix things and screw it up. but we are seeing things come in line for the average worker that we've not seen in a decade and people still say "not enough".

to those people i don't know if there *is* enough. some people are just terminal bitchers and that makes things difficult to see if they have a point or just bitching again. not to say it's not justified at times, just that we all have different values and some seem to think theirs are correct and others wrong when in the end, just different, neither good nor bad on their own, only after interpretation.

it really doesn't matter what happens to the economy in the end if we can't get past our partisan bickering and hate. we'll do ourselves in just to prove the other side wrong too.

I (and not just I) just feel unappreciated; like I’m making this guy money hand over fist, but I can’t even get a measly cost of living increase over two years. To be fair, I am paid a good wage, but with my skillset, I should make more. And I’m not even expecting him to pay me union wages, but he has to put up more or he’s going to lose me and other skilled workers.

Well my friend its all about what is more important to you.

Spending time with the family is more important in my view but getting good pay is also important.

I wish you luck with your decision.

I think much of it is employees have grown used to not receiving wage increases.
I remember the last economic boom under Clinton in the 90s. Wages increased at 4 percent or more a year and employees counted on them. That ended around 2006

That is why I don’t celebrate a 2.8 percent increase.
I look at it and say....That’s all?

i can't disagree. i've lived long enough to see both sides of the political aisle fix things and screw it up. but we are seeing things come in line for the average worker that we've not seen in a decade and people still say "not enough".

to those people i don't know if there *is* enough. some people are just terminal bitchers and that makes things difficult to see if they have a point or just bitching again. not to say it's not justified at times, just that we all have different values and some seem to think theirs are correct and others wrong when in the end, just different, neither good nor bad on their own, only after interpretation.

it really doesn't matter what happens to the economy in the end if we can't get past our partisan bickering and hate. we'll do ourselves in just to prove the other side wrong too.

This is not partisan
It is people’s lives

I look at 2018 as a year when employers received close to a 50 percent tax cut. A year of sub 4 percent unemployment. A year where inflation jumped to 2.9 percent

I look at a meager 2.8 percent increase and find it insulting

This is not partisan
It is people’s lives

I look at 2018 as a year when employers received close to a 50 percent tax cut. A year of sub 4 percent unemployment. A year where inflation jumped to 2.9 percent

would you rather not see an increase at all? to me this is like looking at a half full glass of water and being insulted it's not full.

it *is* peoples lives and if we've not seen this high a pay raise in 10+ years, why were you not insulted then? or maybe you were and i wasn't here to see it. but if we've been that stagnant that long it won't turn around quickly. again, i view this as a step in the right direction and to me, your taking it as an insult is like getting mad 1/3 of the way to your destination you're not there yet.

lets see what else happens and how we - together as a country if ever possible again - can make this even better next time around.

So?

That is BAD news.
i never said it was keeping up and i never again said this was the coup de grace as people are trying to make it out to be. it's a positive step i hope we continue. if you and others insist on whipping your dicks out and peeing on the parade, go ahead. but it speaks more of you than us.

Except it's not really "a positive step", at best it's a neutral step, as I already pointed out it's inflationary (lagging indicator) and we're talking about the ECI which measures the costs of both wages and benefits.

So for example if the cost of employer provided health insurance rises so will the ECI since it's part of the calculation, does that mean workers got more value in total compensation? No it means workers got the exact same total compensation at a higher price tag and in the meantime their cost of living has increased so they're actually worse off from a buying power perspective and then businesses have to pass along those higher costs in the form of higher prices, which leads to decreasing buying power, rinse, wash, repeat.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade just pointing out that the devil is in the details not in the headline.

So?

That is BAD news.

Except it's not really "a positive step", at best it's a neutral step, as I already pointed out it's inflationary (lagging indicator) and we're talking about the ECI which measures the costs of both wages and benefits.

So for example if the cost of employer provided health insurance rises so will the ECI since it's part of the calculation, does that mean workers got more value in total compensation? No it means workers got the exact same total compensation at a higher price tag and in the meantime their cost of living has increased so they're actually worse off from a buying power perspective and then businesses have to pass along those higher costs in the form of higher prices, which leads to decreasing buying power, rinse, wash, repeat.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade just pointing out that the devil is in the details not in the headline.
nope. i appreciate it. info for the sake of info is a good thing.but if we have the highest wage increase in a decade and we're still at best "even" how do we look at the last 10 years? was the inflationary rate lower?

Yeah I know these things, but I also like the company and the work we do, so I’ve been sticking it out. But I’m about ready to jump ship and hit the local union where I can make 40% more than I currently make. The reason I have hesitated in joining the union, is that I’ll be away from my family more, because I’ll have to travel some and work longer hours.
yea, that's a huge difference to anyone really. money vs family time is a balancing act to be sure. liking the company also goes a long way as many times no amount of $ can buy a better environment. good luck!
And how much do trumps tariffs eat into those pay raises ?
wouldn't matter what i tell you, you're consumed with hate.

shitty way to go through life but your life, have at it.

you so much remind me of that guard in shawshank redemption that even when good things happened, he spent all his time focused on the bad.

do yourself a favor, allow yourself to see something new in the world around you. it's not all about trump unless you do that to yourself.
I feel bad for you that you can't see the forest for the trees but I have no reason to hate you or others like you, but having a strong dislike for this ah in our wh doesn't make me a bad guy

Yeah I know these things, but I also like the company and the work we do, so I’ve been sticking it out. But I’m about ready to jump ship and hit the local union where I can make 40% more than I currently make. The reason I have hesitated in joining the union, is that I’ll be away from my family more, because I’ll have to travel some and work longer hours.
yea, that's a huge difference to anyone really. money vs family time is a balancing act to be sure. liking the company also goes a long way as many times no amount of $ can buy a better environment. good luck!

you so much remind me of that guard in shawshank redemption that even when good things happened, he spent all his time focused on the bad.

do yourself a favor, allow yourself to see something new in the world around you. it's not all about trump unless you do that to yourself.
I feel bad for you that you can't see the forest for the trees but I have no reason to hate you or others like you, but having a strong dislike for this ah in our wh doesn't make me a bad guy
didn't say bad.

i said it was a closed mind that would only really allow yourself to see the worst in everything.

think back to when obama was in office and you talked to people who only saw the worst in obama and what he did regardless of what it was. did you think they were stupid and not being realistic?

if so, tag, you're it.

Trump said, "When I was campaigning, I was talking about 18 and 20 years (when) wages effectively went down. Now, for the first time in a long time, they're starting to go up for people."

Wage growth during the two-decade period Trump is referencing was modest, even sluggish, but wages didn’t go down over that period, even accounting for inflation. As for wages finally going up now, they rose for almost three years before Trump took office, so it’s not credible for him to imply that he deserves credit.

This is not partisan
It is people’s lives

would you rather not see an increase at all? to me this is like looking at a half full glass of water and being insulted it's not full.

it *is* peoples lives and if we've not seen this high a pay raise in 10+ years, why were you not insulted then? or maybe you were and i wasn't here to see it. but if we've been that stagnant that long it won't turn around quickly. again, i view this as a step in the right direction and to me, your taking it as an insult is like getting mad 1/3 of the way to your destination you're not there yet.

lets see what else happens and how we - together as a country if ever possible again - can make this even better next time around.

You should be happy with the crumbs we throw you. You know, we could have given you nothing....just like last year and the year before

Employers have made their money and don’t want to share any of it. Feed the employees meat scraps and let them think it is filet mignon

This is not partisan
It is people’s lives

You should be happy with the crumbs we throw you. You know, we could have given you nothing....just like last year and the year before

Employers have made their money and don’t want to share any of it. Feed the employees meat scraps and let them think it is filet mignon
what was thrown 8 years before trump was throwing crumbs then?

I think what we are seeing here is the impact of the demise of the unions.

Back when union representation was strong, the union would look at economic conditions, corporate profits, inflation rates and demand a bigger slice of the pie

But workers are every man for themselves now, an employer can dangle a paltry 2.8 percent increase and say take it or leave it
Employees don’t have the strength to walk away

didn't say bad.

i said it was a closed mind that would only really allow yourself to see the worst in everything.

think back to when obama was in office and you talked to people who only saw the worst in obama and what he did regardless of what it was. did you think they were stupid and not being realistic?

if so, tag, you're it.
Tag this
POLITICS
Trump Calls on Sessions to Stop Mueller's Russia Probe
Top Democratic lawmakers calls it an attempt to obstruct justice. What's he worried about??

Forum List

Back