Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

I've been in that situation, and it sure sucked, but that didn't mean I had the right to continue living in a property when the owner didn't want me there.
It's not a case of owner doesn't want you there. If an owner didn't want you there, he could simply refuse to renew your lease. He wouldn't have to raise rents 60%.
If you don't want to pay the rent he wants to charge, then he doesn't want you there.

"The Rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!"

Jimmy McMillan - The Rent is too damn high party

I’m not complaining about prices, dumbass.

My mortgage is nice and stable.
You are the "dumbass". I was referring to my costs of moving, which YOU SUGGESTED. Get a brain transplant.

So you can't even afford to move within your neighborhood? How in the hell will you move to Tennessee?

When moving out of state, you sell everything you can and buy new when you get to your new home. Movers are a fortune and you'd be better off financially if you did it that way.

It is easier to buy than to rent in Califormia. The home that I own right now, was a foreclosure that originally sold for 750,000, and got it for 210,000 back in 2011 and got a very good mortgage rate Comparable properties are selling for about 600,000 now.

Just down the street from my home there are some loft apartments that just grand opened and they are asking 3500 a month for an 1100 sq. ft. 2 bd 2ba.

Unbelievable.
I lived in California for 12 years. It never did make any sense.

Very costly to live here. I'm a native and while the trade off is good year around weather, it is stupid expensive. Gas is high. (3.45 a gallon for regular this morning) insurance is ridiculous.

I just moved my 86 year old mother out here from Kansas to live with me. She sold a 3500 sq. ft home on 3 acres with a fully finished walkout basement and private lake, for 250,000.

And even though she and my dad lived in San Francisco for many years prior to retiring, she still was shell shocked when she saw the ridiculous cost of living here.

Maybe you should have moved in with her.

Where the heck did you get gas? Avg in Tampa is $2.13 per gallon. Need to turn them in for price gouging. Though I suspect you lied and therefore the rest of your post is dog manure.
Best Gas Prices & Local Gas Stations in Tampa FL
It is easier to buy than to rent in Califormia. The home that I own right now, was a foreclosure that originally sold for 750,000, and got it for 210,000 back in 2011 and got a very good mortgage rate Comparable properties are selling for about 600,000 now.

Just down the street from my home there are some loft apartments that just grand opened and they are asking 3500 a month for an 1100 sq. ft. 2 bd 2ba.

Unbelievable.

Very costly to live here. I'm a native and while the trade off is good year around weather, it is stupid expensive. Gas is high. (3.45 a gallon for regular this morning) insurance is ridiculous.

I just moved my 86 year old mother out here from Kansas to live with me. She sold a 3500 sq. ft home on 3 acres with a fully finished walkout basement and private lake, for 250,000.

And even though she and my dad lived in San Francisco for many years prior to retiring, she still was shell shocked when she saw the ridiculous cost of living here.

I’m not complaining about prices, dumbass.

My mortgage is nice and stable.
You are the "dumbass". I was referring to my costs of moving, which YOU SUGGESTED. Get a brain transplant.

So you can't even afford to move within your neighborhood? How in the hell will you move to Tennessee?

When moving out of state, you sell everything you can and buy new when you get to your new home. Movers are a fortune and you'd be better off financially if you did it that way.
I can testify to that fact. Sell all the furniture or any sizeable personal possessions. Get what you absolutely can't sell down to where it will fit in a U-Haul trailer.

Where the heck did you get gas? Avg in Tampa is $2.13 per gallon. Need to turn them in for price gouging. Though I suspect you lied and therefore the rest of your post is dog manure.

Unbelievable.

He lives in California where they load so much anti-pollution crap in their gasoline that it has to cost a bundle. Plus in such a high taxed state, I'm sure that plays a huge part in fuel prices as well.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
Yes, because unqualified people buying houses worked SO WELL last time!
He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

North Florida Models - Pensacola, FL - SS Steele Homes

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

Many people who choose rent do not do so because it's their only choice. They simply don't want all the problems of home ownership. This is particularly true of women. Once the kids are out of the house, if the woman is alone, she has no need for a house and all the care and money it takes to keep it up-kept.

The toilet is leaking, water is coming into the basement, a window doesn't open, the lawn needs to be cut, the ceiling fan quit working are all things people don't want to deal with. When renters have a problem, they simply make a phone call and the problem is solved. It's up to the landlord to find a qualified HVAC person for a reasonable rate. It's up to the landlord to have the grass cut or the snow removed from the driveway. It's up to the landlord to find a garage door repairman to fix the garage door opener.

That's the way a lot of people want to live. It's the sign of the times.

I didn't realize how much work maintaining a house was until I stopped doing it.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.
You are a statist.

Conservatives generally are statist authoritarians, like their leftist counterparts. You propose a government intrusion, but it is okay in your mind because it is only when in certain exceptional situations (i.e. those effect you) and you forget or don't care about what such an intrusion does to landlords.

This is what distinguishes me (a liberal) from conservatives and leftists.

You can throw out all your excuses about this being an issue of people and their homes, but it is all the same and that excuse is nonsense. Who pays for the landlord's home? What do you think the landlord will do with the extra money?

If you were truly principled, you would never suggest such a statist authoritarian overreach--even one that benefits you or "people."

The market dictates price. If the landlords did not have the market support for such a price hike, they would never get away with it. There is high demand for rentals right now because nre home building is not keeping up with demand, making it harder for people to go from renting to buying. Thus, higher demand for rentals.

The good news is that there is always a market solution and/or an excellent opportunity for someone get wealthy solving the lack-of-supply problem. Landlords will likely use the temporary surplus to solve the problem by building more rental properties (increasing supply).

That is all I will say on the matter.

He's not a conservative...he is just a kookburger.

Unbelievable.

He lives in California where they load so much anti-pollution crap in their gasoline that it has to cost a bundle. Plus in such a high taxed state, I'm sure that plays a huge part in fuel prices as well.
Ok, I thought he was in the Tampa area. Thank you for the info. That is insane gas prices are that much higher than here in FL. Just wow!

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
Yes, because unqualified people buying houses worked SO WELL last time!
He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

North Florida Models - Pensacola, FL - SS Steele Homes

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

Many people who choose rent do not do so because it's their only choice. They simply don't want all the problems of home ownership. This is particularly true of women. Once the kids are out of the house, if the woman is alone, she has no need for a house and all the care and money it takes to keep it up-kept.

The toilet is leaking, water is coming into the basement, a window doesn't open, the lawn needs to be cut, the ceiling fan quit working are all things people don't want to deal with. When renters have a problem, they simply make a phone call and the problem is solved. It's up to the landlord to find a qualified HVAC person for a reasonable rate. It's up to the landlord to have the grass cut or the snow removed from the driveway. It's up to the landlord to find a garage door repairman to fix the garage door opener.

That's the way a lot of people want to live. It's the sign of the times.

I didn't realize how much work maintaining a house was until I stopped doing it.

It's something that you have to like to do. I enjoy it although I admit, I would rather be doing other things than unclogging a sink. But you have to take an interest in it.

Before my sister moved, she was complaining how she didn't know how to do anything in a home. I told her that YouTube has dozens of videos on just about anything. I use them myself for things I don't normally repair. Her claim was that she can't learn anything from videos. She has to have somebody show her how to do anything. No, I didn't understand that at all either.

So she sold her home a few weeks ago and moved into a newer one that's recently been remodeled. Now she doesn't have to worry about repairing anything for quite a while.

Unbelievable.

Ok, I thought he was in the Tampa area. Thank you for the info. That is insane gas prices are that much higher than here in FL. Just wow!

The problem is they can't get their gasoline from just anywhere. Only certain refineries have their blends of gas. So transportation is another issue.

You can roll your eyes all you want, doesn't change the truth of what I said.
What you said was NOT the truth, and I refuted it.
You would not recognize the truth if it grabbed you by the scrotum and did the tango.
He's taking some baby steps, what with the rent control thing and all. Give him some time.

It takes more than something like this to turn somebody into a Commie. He's an elderly gentleman who is facing a major change in his life that he didn't expect or want. He's very upset and I can't blame him. It's not easy for anybody to move and it gets worse as you age, especially if you are on a fixed income.

You can roll your eyes all you want, doesn't change the truth of what I said.
What you said was NOT the truth, and I refuted it.
You would not recognize the truth if it grabbed you by the scrotum and did the tango.
He's taking some baby steps, what with the rent control thing and all. Give him some time.

It takes more than something like this to turn somebody into a Commie. He's an elderly gentleman who is facing a major change in his life that he didn't expect or want. He's very upset and I can't blame him. It's not easy for anybody to move and it gets worse as you age, especially if you are on a fixed income.
Who said anything about commies?

Forum List

Back