"You didn't get there on your own"

486547_271147742991017_1352266751_n.jpg

Star Of Romney Ad Inadvertently Proves That Success Doesn’t Happen In A Bubble (VIDEOS) | Addicting Info

Of course his father’s hands built the company. Of course his hands built the company. Of course his son’s hands built the company, but not without over $1 million in government loans.

From the New Hampshire Union Leader:

In 1999, Gilchrist Metal received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority “to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment,” according to a New Hampshire Union Leader report at the time.

The federal government allocates to each state a certain amount of tax-exempt bonding capacity each year for business and housing loans.

Because the bond buyers do not pay federal taxes on the interest, the interest rate for the borrower is typically lower than that of standard bank financing.

Last year, Gilchrist Metal also received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller, $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008, according to a government web site that tracks spending.

In another bit of irony, his reasoning is that he dislikes Obama because Gilchrist may start receiving less government money after budget cuts (emphasis mine).

“Defense business is a good way to help the economy,” Gilchrist told the Leader. “But the President wants to cut the crap out of the defense budget. I’m not going to turn a blind eye because the money came from the government. As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting some of my tax money back. I’m not stupid, I’m not going to say ‘no.’ Shame on me if I didn’t use what’s available.”

And I will let that little bit of Republican hypocrisy speak for itself.

You Didn't Build That
Readings from the Book of Barack

1 In the beginning Govt created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the economy was formless and void, darkness was over the surface of the ATMs, and the Spirit of Govt was hovering over the land.

3 And Govt said, “Let there be spending,” and there was spending. 4 Govt saw that the spending was good, and that it separated the light from the darkness. 5 Govt called the spending Investments, and this he did in the first day.

6 Then Govt said, “Let there be roads and bridges across the waters, and let dams divide the waters from the waters.” 7 Thus Govt made the infrastructure and the patronage jobs for eternity under the firmament from the Potomac which was above the firmament; and it was so. 8 And Govt called the firmament Washington. This Govt did on the second day.

9 Then Govt said, “Let the regulations and the guidlines under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the Bureaus appear”; and it was so. 10 And Govt called the Bureaus demigovts, and the gathering together of them He called AFSCME. And Govt saw that it was good.

---
More:
iowahawk: You Didn't Build That

Last edited:
The 'Marxist' dictator speaks:

Now, the true engine of job creation in this country will always be America's businesses. But government can create the conditions necessary for businesses to expand and hire more workers.

We should start where most new jobs do –- in small businesses, companies that begin when -- companies that begin when an entrepreneur -- when an entrepreneur takes a chance on a dream, or a worker decides it's time she became her own boss. Through sheer grit and determination, these companies have weathered the recession and they're ready to grow. But when you talk to small businessowners in places like Allentown, Pennsylvania, or Elyria, Ohio, you find out that even though banks on Wall Street are lending again, they're mostly lending to bigger companies. Financing remains difficult for small businessowners across the country, even those that are making a profit.

So tonight, I'm proposing that we take $30 billion of the money Wall Street banks have repaid and use it to help community banks give small businesses the credit they need to stay afloat. I'm also proposing a new small business tax credit -– one that will go to over one million small businesses who hire new workers or raise wages. While we're at it, let's also eliminate all capital gains taxes on small business investment, and provide a tax incentive for all large businesses and all small businesses to invest in new plants and equipment.

Next, we can put Americans to work today building the infrastructure of tomorrow. From the first railroads to the Interstate Highway System, our nation has always been built to compete. There's no reason Europe or China should have the fastest trains, or the new factories that manufacture clean energy products.

President Barack Obama

Star Of Romney Ad Inadvertently Proves That Success Doesn’t Happen In A Bubble (VIDEOS) | Addicting Info

Of course his father’s hands built the company. Of course his hands built the company. Of course his son’s hands built the company, but not without over $1 million in government loans.

In 1999, Gilchrist Metal received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority “to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment,” according to a New Hampshire Union Leader report at the time.

The federal government allocates to each state a certain amount of tax-exempt bonding capacity each year for business and housing loans.

Because the bond buyers do not pay federal taxes on the interest, the interest rate for the borrower is typically lower than that of standard bank financing.

Last year, Gilchrist Metal also received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller, $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008, according to a government web site that tracks spending.

In another bit of irony, his reasoning is that he dislikes Obama because Gilchrist may start receiving less government money after budget cuts (emphasis mine).

“Defense business is a good way to help the economy,” Gilchrist told the Leader. “But the President wants to cut the crap out of the defense budget. I’m not going to turn a blind eye because the money came from the government. As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting some of my tax money back. I’m not stupid, I’m not going to say ‘no.’ Shame on me if I didn’t use what’s available.”

I read about this guy.
He is still in business!
He paid back the loans....didn't borrow then go bankrupt, right?

Heck, I got a government student loan...I paid it back.

This is Joe The Plumber all over again. Beat on a private citizen!

Last edited:

I read about this guy.
He is still in business!

And I will let that little bit of Republican hypocrisy speak for itself

:eusa_whistle:

Is he repaying the loans? Is there interest on them? Did the government help him earn the credit rating that qualified him for the loans? Is the government sending someone to his business every day to help with the work and earn the money to pay back those loans, with interest?

So basically, your arguments are still crap. Only a dimwit like you would think there's a "Gotcha!" moment in pointing out that the government exists and is the backdrop of everyone's life, as though anyone has argued that.

The government does not deserve gratitude for existing and functioning, and it sure as shit doesn't deserve credit for the success of the people who build on the basic playing field we're all given simply because it's part of that field . . . and CERTAINLY not when they're getting all their money back, PLUS a hefty fee for its temporary use.

Don't even TRY to tell me Mr. Gilchrist "owes" the government even more for the success HE put the blood, sweat, and tears into on top of his taxes, his contributions to the community, his loan payments, AND his fucking interest!

I read about this guy.
He is still in business!

You know you already posted that, right?
He's talking about being able to bid and win a few government contract jobs. How is that hypocritical? Is the government just throwing money at him for doing nothing?

Last edited:

Is he repaying the loans? Is there interest on them? Did the government help him earn the credit rating that qualified him for the loans? Is the government sending someone to his business every day to help with the work and earn the money to pay back those loans, with interest?

So basically, your arguments are still crap. Only a dimwit like you would think there's a "Gotcha!" moment in pointing out that the government exists and is the backdrop of everyone's life, as though anyone has argued that.

The government does not deserve gratitude for existing and functioning, and it sure as shit doesn't deserve credit for the success of the people who build on the basic playing field we're all given simply because it's part of that field . . . and CERTAINLY not when they're getting all their money back, PLUS a hefty fee for its temporary use.

Don't even TRY to tell me Mr. Gilchrist "owes" the government even more for the success HE put the blood, sweat, and tears into on top of his taxes, his contributions to the community, his loan payments, AND his fucking interest!

AND government contracts paid with by our tax money, you ignorant cow.

I read about this guy.
He is still in business!

He's talking about being able to bid and win a few government contract jobs. How is that hypocritical? Is the government just throwing money at him for doing nothing?

You're fucking kidding me, right?

AND government contracts paid with by our tax money, you ignorant cow.

Yeah, and?

You have yet to say anything that makes GOVERNMENT responsible for the success of businesses or the success of America. I'll be happy to thank Mr. Gilchrist for HIS contributions to building America in exchange for my tax dollars, because unlike the government, HE is actually producing something for my money.

Nope. You've just told us that all those wonderful "donations" Obama claims the government makes to the success of businesses and communities are actually made by other businesses, like Mr. Gilchrist's.

Congratulations, shitforbrains.

Nope. You've just told us that all those wonderful "donations" Obama claims the government makes to the success of businesses and communities are actually made by other businesses, like Mr. Gilchrist's.

Congratulations, shitforbrains.

Well, you really ARE this ignorant, so I kind of expect it from you.

And don't tell me what I said, you graceless cow, I know damned well what I said.

The premise of the thread was based on a quote taken completely out of context. This guy, your hero, the poster boy for the Romney complaint that business doesn't rely even in PART on the infrastructure of government got his start DUE to government structure, and is pissing and moaning that the government PORK that keeps him in business is being reduced. :splat:

Forum List

Back