43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
More from the party of alleged Constitutional values. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with government control over what the media reports........

I will add that the social media organizations engaging in conservative censorship and the Democratic politicians encouraging them to do it aren't doing themselves any favors in the face of this poll. Those actions will only cause those numbers to rise if the right conclusively feels the media is engaging in fascists tactics to keep them from sharing their opinions.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

Who conducted the poll, how did they know the respondents were Republicans and what were the questions asked?

Here is a question for you! Do you think that 90% unfavorable reporting on President Trump is reasonable, honest fair impartial reporting? I recall the press coverage of Palin and President Bush! Did you see that has fair and impartial? What part of the war on this freedom does the press bear?

More from the party of alleged Constitutional values. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with government control over what the media reports........

I will add that the social media organizations engaging in conservative censorship and the Democratic politicians encouraging them to do it aren't doing themselves any favors in the face of this poll. Those actions will only cause those numbers to rise if the right conclusively feels the media is engaging in fascists tactics to keep them from sharing their opinions.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

You said it Brother! The media is engaging in fascists tactics. But we don't want to shut the media down, merely prosecute irresponsible journalists who float damaging stories unsupported by facts. Throw the publisher in prison. Sue his ass, Put crooked media out of business by making it unaffordable to keep printing trash stories. If we can regulate cars to DO what the makers SAYS it will do, we can hold media's feet to the fire to REPORT on actual, verifiable events, not merely push and promote a one-sided agenda. The Founders never meant for the Press to be so free as to become a weapon of politics.

That's exactly one of the steps that ended the Wiemar Republic when Herr Goebbles got his hands on the democratic press after Jan. 1933. Government here is supposed to mindful of the protections of Amendment I.

And, do you recall when Obam and the liberals wanted to shut down Fox News? Are you sure this is all Trump’s fault?

Who conducted the poll, how did they know the respondents were Republicans and what were the questions asked?

Here is a question for you! Do you think that 90% unfavorable reporting on President Trump is reasonable, honest fair impartial reporting? I recall the press coverage of Palin and President Bush! Did you see that has fair and impartial? What part of the war on this freedom does the press bear?
Read the poll
And nice derailment. Did ewe get triggered?

Why don't you read the article and find out.

Did I say the press was fair and impartial? No, in fact, I have criticized their bias for a long time. How does that justify Republicans wanting to subvert the First Amendment of the Constitution and put it under government control? Ever hear of Tokyo Rose and PRAVDA?

Did I say the press was fair and impartial? No, in fact, I have criticized their bias for a long time. How does that justify Republicans wanting to subvert the First Amendment of the Constitution and put it under government control? Ever hear of Tokyo Rose and PRAVDA?

I did. The information was not there which is why I asked.

based on ad revenue alone the Trotskyite press is doing itself in so why interfere with the process?

They don’t.

Just like the Tea Party never walked around carrying the racist bigoted flags the press reported on! Do you guys think the press is not biased against conservatives? Get some sleep.

This article certainly looks, smells and reads like fake news so I treat it as such.

Yeah, it is...

These are findings from an Ipsos poll conducted August 3-6, 2018. For the survey, a sample of roughly 1,003 adults age 18+ from the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii was interviewed online in English. The sample includes 323 Democrats, 363 Republicans, and 207 Independents.
Full questions can be found here: https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2018-08/node-455441-455651.zip

Personally I think the media should keep doing what they are doing! It makes them look like the biased assholes they are! The more people who know that the better.

From what I can see it would not be much different than it is now. The vast majority of our media is controlled by a handful of people. What I would really like to see is for them to stop reporting on their opinions and just stick to the actual facts or what was actually seen or done.

Forum List

Back