43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

More from the party of alleged Constitutional values. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with government control over what the media reports........

I will add that the social media organizations engaging in conservative censorship and the Democratic politicians encouraging them to do it aren't doing themselves any favors in the face of this poll. Those actions will only cause those numbers to rise if the right conclusively feels the media is engaging in fascists tactics to keep them from sharing their opinions.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

Well it is one thing to be a true journalist and real news, it is another thing when your entire network is propaganda machine for the DNC.

So should a propaganda network for the DNC be treated as a "news" source?

From a link inside the link:

First off, the good news. The large majority of Americans, 85%, agree that the “Freedom of the press is essential for American democracy.”

Americans' Views on the Media

Also from a link inside the link:

A final statistic is somewhat reassuring, only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).

Who conducted the poll, how did they know the respondents were Republicans and what were the questions asked?

Why don't you read the article and find out.

Here is a question for you! Do you think that 90% unfavorable reporting on President Trump is reasonable, honest fair impartial reporting? I recall the press coverage of Palin and President Bush! Did you see that has fair and impartial? What part of the war on this freedom does the press bear?

Did I say the press was fair and impartial? No, in fact, I have criticized their bias for a long time. How does that justify Republicans wanting to subvert the First Amendment of the Constitution and put it under government control? Ever hear of Tokyo Rose and PRAVDA?

Whoa dude, you may have taken this a step too far. First of all, we're talking about 155 respondents out of 363, that ain't all that much of a sample size and we're also talking about 'self-identified' Republicans. Maybe they are GOP party members and maybe some of them ain't, IMHO we ought to be a bit more careful about labeling the whole group based on what 155 people answered in one survey.

Then to imply from that Republicans in general want to subvert the Constitution and put it under gov't control is another stretch too far IMHO. Close one media outlet, that's the same as shutting down the media? And what exactly is 'bad behavior' anyway, maybe your idea or mine isn't quite the same as it is or was from the people that took the survey. I'd bet the numbers would be different if this survey had been taken back when Obama was president and actions they took against James Rosen was on the front pages. I'd bet those numbers would be different back then, when all the Lib/Dems were screaming about FoxNews, didn't they actually try to exclude FoxNews from news conference calls and the like, which for all intents and purposes actually IS subverting the 1st Amendment if they don't like what is said or written.

Curious…good post by the way…I don’t agree with it but you make your argument in a good manner.

I am curious though…the OP says X percentage of Republicans want the government to be able to shut down the media. You say the figure is not based on the “sample size” and if they are actually Republicans. I don’t see how we can verify the latter but the former is interesting. What % do you think would be accurate? Are you comfortable with it?

Who conducted the poll, how did they know the respondents were Republicans and what were the questions asked?

Why don't you read the article and find out.

Here is a question for you! Do you think that 90% unfavorable reporting on President Trump is reasonable, honest fair impartial reporting? I recall the press coverage of Palin and President Bush! Did you see that has fair and impartial? What part of the war on this freedom does the press bear?

Did I say the press was fair and impartial? No, in fact, I have criticized their bias for a long time. How does that justify Republicans wanting to subvert the First Amendment of the Constitution and put it under government control? Ever hear of Tokyo Rose and PRAVDA?

Whoa dude, you may have taken this a step too far. First of all, we're talking about 155 respondents out of 363, that ain't all that much of a sample size and we're also talking about 'self-identified' Republicans. Maybe they are GOP party members and maybe some of them ain't, IMHO we ought to be a bit more careful about labeling the whole group based on what 155 people answered in one survey.

Then to imply from that Republicans in general want to subvert the Constitution and put it under gov't control is another stretch too far IMHO. Close one media outlet, that's the same as shutting down the media? And what exactly is 'bad behavior' anyway, maybe your idea or mine isn't quite the same as it is or was from the people that took the survey. I'd bet the numbers would be different if this survey had been taken back when Obama was president and actions they took against James Rosen was on the front pages. I'd bet those numbers would be different back then, when all the Lib/Dems were screaming about FoxNews, didn't they actually try to exclude FoxNews from news conference calls and the like, which for all intents and purposes actually IS subverting the 1st Amendment if they don't like what is said or written.
You're grasping at straws. The poll is an indication of how some republicans think. It's pretty widespread knowledge that both the republicans and democrats are authoritarians that have no problem using the club of government to beat their opponents into submission.

Additionally, wouldn’t the responses of the conservatives here buttress the findings of the polling?

More from the party of alleged Constitutional values. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with government control over what the media reports........

I will add that the social media organizations engaging in conservative censorship and the Democratic politicians encouraging them to do it aren't doing themselves any favors in the face of this poll. Those actions will only cause those numbers to rise if the right conclusively feels the media is engaging in fascists tactics to keep them from sharing their opinions.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer. Neither President Trump nor any responsible member of his administration has suggested giving him this power, so this is a "so what"?

Also from a link inside the link:

A final statistic is somewhat reassuring, only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).

The New York Times is nothing more than a racist tabloid and CNN is the king of manufactured bullshit.

43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

Considering that our "Media" is now about three steps BELOW pure political propaganda, and real, honest journalism is all but dead, I'm a bit disturbed that the study doesn't include ALL Americans both Republican AND Democrat and the number isn't closer to 100%. Time to shut down "the media," end it, bury it, and start over with a system that actually works at informing Americans.

We want him to have the authority to close outlets that are committing FRAUD and who are openly conspiring to tear down the presidency and our country.
Those things are crimes.

Trump will not shut down FOX!!!!!!!
He looovees them cause they be his children
--LOL

you leftist loons are so funny with your projections

--LOL

as usual it is the dems trying to shut down the free press

A Florida Democratic state senator called in the police to handle a reporter who made “threats” against her at a debate.

Miami Herald reporter Sarah Blaskey declared that the only thing she was guilty of committing was “an act of journalism” after she questioned Florida state Sen. Daphne Campbell following a public candidates forum at a Duffy’s in North Miami Beach.

According to the Miami Herald:

Campbell, a Democrat who is running for reelection this month in Senate District 38, called police at 1:24 p.m. after participating in a debate with her Democratic opponent, Jason Pizzo. A responding North Miami Beach officer who declined to give his name explained that police had been called by Campbell about threats made by a woman in a floral dress — a clear reference to the attire of Herald reporter Sarah Blaskey.

Police left without arresting anyone. But their appearance flustered attendees and the Social Citizens of Southeast Florida, which hosted the event in order to allow members to query the candidates on the issues.

Fla Democrat keeps calling the cops on reporters guilty of 'committing acts of journalism'

But I would love to see Trump bitch slap Jim Costa
wweslap-154a5a2.gif

Forum List

Back