43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

More from the party of alleged Constitutional values. Gee, what could possibly go wrong with government control over what the media reports........

I will add that the social media organizations engaging in conservative censorship and the Democratic politicians encouraging them to do it aren't doing themselves any favors in the face of this poll. Those actions will only cause those numbers to rise if the right conclusively feels the media is engaging in fascists tactics to keep them from sharing their opinions.

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media
Wow. Nearly 1 in 4. That's terrifying.

You only have to watch a Trump rally once to see that the man is clearly mentally Ill.

The post has been up for a couple of days and by now it's easy to see that it is similar to the craziness that Nazi propaganda attempted in the 30's. The post deliberately left out certain words that were in the polling data such as "would you give the president the authority to shut down media sources IF THEY WERE ACTING IN A CRIMINAL MANNER".

The part you put in all caps....wasn't in the poll. They asked if "the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior”

Americans' Views on the Media

Bad Behavior. Not Criminal Manner. The OP was accurate. You were not. You made up the portions in caps.

The question is.....why? Why did you make that up?

The link indicated that only 23% of republicans would give the president the authority to shut down CNN which is the primary focus of media hatred. So what are we left with? A deliberate attempt by the angry crazy left to distort public opinion with fake news.

I'd say your post was a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the poll. As you lied about the content of the poll. While the OP was accurate.

If your argument about the left were accurate....why would you need to lie to support it?

Last edited:
Hearkens back to 'Dingy Harry' and the 'Nuclear Option'... Don't do it; it'll come back to bite ya in the ass, lol.

Given the fact Conservatives are being shut out of social media can you blame them?

I don't think 'shut out' means what you think it means. As there are plenty of conservatives on social media. Conservatives are just primed to see themselves as persecuted victims.

Also.....you get that Alex Jones being banned from facebook and the government shutting down media outlets at the direction of the president are orders of magnitude different, right?

Right?

Given the fact Conservatives are being shut out of social media can you blame them?

I don't think 'shut out' means what you think it means. As there are plenty of conservatives on social media. Conservatives are just primed to see themselves as persecuted victims.

Yeah......and pantifa are all about the 1st amendment.

Smiling....I didn't think you could back your 'conservatives are shut out of social media' claim either.

Facebook isn't the government. And Alex Jones isn't shut down. While over 40% of Republicans want the government to have the authority to shut down media outlets at the direction of the president.

You get the difference, right? You understand that censorship is government infringement of rights, yes?

Smiling....I didn't think you could back your 'conservatives are shut out of social media' claim either.

Facebook isn't the government. And Alex Jones isn't shut down. While over 40% of Republicans want the government to have the authority to shut down media outlets at the direction of the president.

You get the difference, right? You understand that censorship is government infringement of rights, yes?

Well lets see....
End ICE,open borders,facebook ban,twitter ban....
Need I go on? You dumbfucks are issuing in a war you cant win.
Keep it the fuck up.

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

Again, a facebook ban isn't the government. Do you seriously not get the difference?

And Alex Jones wasn't shut down. He's ranting right now, sobbing about how much of a victim he is. You can download his videos right now if you'd like from Jones own website.

Over 40% republicans want to empower the president to shut down media outlets. Please tell me you recognize the difference.

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

Again, a facebook ban isn't the government. Do you seriously not get the difference?

And Alex Jones wasn't shut down. He's ranting right now, sobbing about how much of a victim he is. You can download his videos right now if you'd like from Jones own website.

Over 40% republicans want to empower the president to shut down media outlets. Please tell me you recognize the difference.

Oh I get the difference alright.
As private companies they reserve the right to ban anyone they want.
Whats telling is the liberal cheers.

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

With over 40% of republicans cheering the president having the authority to shut down media outlets.

Which is far, far more telling. As a facebook ban doesn't involve censorship, the violation of rights, or shutting anyone down.

While what over 40% of republicans want to do is censorship, does violate rights, and does shut down news agencies.

The difference is enormous. And over 40% of republicans are on the wrong side of that chasm.

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

With over 40% of republicans cheering the president having the authority to shut down media outlets.

Which is far, far more telling. As a facebook ban doesn't involve censorship, the violation of rights, or shutting anyone down.

While what over 40% of republicans want to do is censorship, does violate rights, and does shut down news agencies.

The difference is enormous. And over 40% of republicans are on the wrong side of that chasm.

Pay backs a bitch ain't it......

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

Laughing....oh, Republicans will never get the chance to shut down the media outlets they don't like using government. Its wildly unconstitutional.

But over 40% *want* to. They *want* to violated rights. They *want* to use government to shut down the press they don't like. They *want* to shut down those media outlets.

And that tells us a tremendous amount about Republicans.

No, they are the “enemies” of a minority of very narrow-minded ideological people who claim to speak for “the people” but who give lip service to freedoms and instead want to impose their narrow vision on everyone else.

Pretty ironic considering what Twitter and especially Facebook are doing, which is doing their best to shut down ALL differing opinions so that ONLY a narrow vision is accepted and everything outside of that narrow vision is not tolerated and I don't think the MSM reflects a majority opinion, if it did then they would not be losing viewers and the Print Media would not be losing readers which is the main reason that many Online Print Media are now Subscription Only because the general revenue has dropped. There is minimal Objective Journalism now, they are no longer neutral and unbiased instead of Objective Journalism it's predominantly a mixture of the journalists personal beliefs and political bias even if they are not in general supposed to be writing about Politics, you could have an article about ANYTHING and at some point they would have to have a mini political and/or social rant included.

Those are private companies. You are not forced to be on those platforms any more than you are forced to be here, abiding by the terms, conditions and discretions of the moderators of USMB making arbitrary decisions.

I disagree with what Twitter and Facebook are doing BTW. But they are private businesses, and they have every right to determine the content of their platform.

If you don’t like it, don’t go there. Better yet, start your own platform, like Rupert Murdoch did with Fox News 25 years ago. FYI MySpace is still around.
The argument that they are private companies doesn't wash. Between them, the Apple, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter control about 90% of social media. back in the late 1800s, when Standard oil controlled only 80% of the refining business, Congress passed the Sherman anti-trust act and broke up the company. Can any of you snowflakes explain why the same shouldn't be done with FaceBook and YouTube?

Because Ronnie Raygunz gutted the anti-trust legislation.
Reagan didn't do a thing to the anti-trust legislation, dingbat.

You are truly dumber than a sack of hammers. Start fact checking you dolt.

The Rise and Fall of the Word 'Monopoly' in American Life - The Atlantic

Well lets see....
Keep it the fuck up.

Laughing....oh, Republicans will never get the chance to shut down the media outlets they don't like using government. Its wildly unconstitutional.

But over 40% *want* to. They *want* to violated rights. They *want* to use government to shut down the press they don't like. They *want* to shut down those media outlets.

And that tells us a tremendous amount about Republicans.

So if 40% of Republicans want the government to shut down media outlets AKA violating the Freedom of Speech...…..doesn't that mean 60% do NOT???

One good thing Trump has brought us is that everyone is finally admitting what we've known for decades.

Republicans and liars and don't support out constitution.

One good thing Trump has brought us is that everyone is finally admitting what we've known for decades.

I bet if we did a poll on USMB more then 40% would say you are a fucking idiot.

Lamestream media has advocated the shutting down of alternative media sources like Infowars and youtube channels that have citizen journalists doing the job the Operation Mockingbird media will not do. Leftards are only for free speech as long as it is speech that they agree with. CNN (CIA News Network) was absolutely giddy when Alex Jones was taken off of youtube and Facebook. Was it jealousy because Jones had MUCH better ratings than fake news CNN? Remember how CNN and leftards soiled themselves when a CNN journalist was put in "time out" because she couldn't obey the rules and that it was a violation of the first amendment? This same group of clowns were politicking to have Jones removed ...seriously, without double standards, the leftard clown posse of sniveling commies would have no standards at all.

Forum List

Back