A bit of cruel irony in the Flint's debacle

Rick Snyder appointed an emergency manager with dictatorial powers who made the criminal decisions to poison the children of Flint ..............

184008_10150249374746650_3093416_n.jpg

DWSD needed the revenue from other customers since they have tens of thousands of non-paying water customers in Detroit. That was the reason they played hardball IMO. It can not be argued that the lack of proper treatment of the river water by Flint and/or State managers caused the problem. It did! My question is why didn't the EPA take some immediate action?

From what I recall reading, I don't think there is anything the EPA could have reasonably been expected to do that would have prevented this. But my brain has been a little bit fried these past several days. If there's something you're aware of please share.

I found this article credible and very interesting.

EPA stayed silent on Flint’s tainted water

Well, I think the article answers your question. :D

It all does pose some important questions about the proper role of federal oversight. Should the EPA have intervened in some way? Or was the proper course to attempt to convince the local authorities to take corrective actions? Because let's be honest here.....if the EPA had intervened last Feb, people would be howling about the federal government overstepping its bounds and trying to interfere in a state and local matter.

DWSD needed the revenue from other customers since they have tens of thousands of non-paying water customers in Detroit. That was the reason they played hardball IMO. It can not be argued that the lack of proper treatment of the river water by Flint and/or State managers caused the problem. It did! My question is why didn't the EPA take some immediate action?

From what I recall reading, I don't think there is anything the EPA could have reasonably been expected to do that would have prevented this. But my brain has been a little bit fried these past several days. If there's something you're aware of please share.

It all does pose some important questions about the proper role of federal oversight. Should the EPA have intervened in some way? Or was the proper course to attempt to convince the local authorities to take corrective actions? Because let's be honest here.....if the EPA had intervened last Feb, people would be howling about the federal government overstepping its bounds and trying to interfere in a state and local matter.

I am sure you are correct about the howling, but if the EPA had pointed out the possibility of lead poisoning it would have shut the howling up. From Feb to Nov was a long time for the EPA to take to make a decision if I read it right. That is a problem in my mind.

I am sure you are correct about the howling, but if the EPA had pointed out the possibility of lead poisoning it would have shut the howling up. From Feb to Nov was a long time for the EPA to take to make a decision if I read it right. That is a problem in my mind.
The Flint water crisis is a perfect example of the failure of government at all levels, but millions of Americans still have faith in government. CRAZY!

Another majority-black city falls apart. A city can't function when more than half it's people are illiterate welfare bums.

The Flint water crisis is a perfect example of the failure of government at all levels, but millions of Americans still have faith in government. CRAZY!

Local govt works pretty well in white cities, but in black cities nothing works. Everybody is on welfare.

Local govt works pretty well in white cities, but in black cities nothing works. Everybody is on welfare.
The Flint crisis involves much more than local government. That State government had taken control of Flint, due to it's complete failure. So, the State government is also involved.

Plus, one would think the enormous bureaucracy that is the Federal EPA, would also have inserted itself once it became clear that there were problems with the water.

This started late last summer, when they decided to save money and have the water supply switch from being Lake Huron (where the water is clean), to the Flint river (which is polluted). Then, when they started to hear that there may be dangerous levels of lead in the water, they tried to cover it up, as well as discount the doctor that brought the problem up.

It was only when the story leaked out, and the DA decided to start an investigation into this matter that the governor FINALLY (like on the day the investigation was opened) decided to declare a state of emergency for the residents of Flint.

For the past couple of months, volunteers have been getting bottled water and distributing it to residents, all done with donations from the private sector.

It was only this week that the governor decided to start mobilizing the National Guard to distribute water.

This mess has been going on for almost half a year, and they are only getting around to solving it NOW?

To be precise, the lead issue is not that it is in the water in the Flint River, it is that the Flint river water has a lower pH, and thus is susceptible to dissolving lead solder and piping in older home water systems.

I don't believe either the flint water or the Lake Huron water is untreated, but the Huron water is "harder" and not as acidic, and doesn't leach lead like the Flint river water.

The biggest problem is this isn't something you can test in the water system, you have to test for it at the tap in houses with lead piping.

And the river got polluted in the first place when the state was run by Democrats, wow shocker.

The river's not polluted, moron. :slap:

Sure its like drinking bottled water well except for the sewage..."Flint water treatment plant discharges mixture of storm water and sewage into Flint River" I grew up in Michigan fool, dead fish lining the shore of Lake Erie at the state park with do not enter the water warning signs. :laugh:

I grew up in Michigan

And yet you can't tell the difference between Lake Erie and a river that empties into the Shiawassee River, which then empties into the Saginaw River, which then empties into the Saginaw Bay, which then empties into Lake Huron.

Fool.

I grew up in Michigan

And yet you can't tell the difference between Lake Erie and a river that empties into the Shiawassee River, which then empties into the Saginaw River, which then empties into the Saginaw Bay, which then empties into Lake Huron.

Fool.

You know nothing of Michigan's pollution, one of us fished Michigan's rivers since he was a kid, it wasn't you. :laugh:

And the river got polluted in the first place when the state was run by Democrats, wow shocker.
Blues, since Michigan became a State is has had 48 Governors: D = 18, R = 28, W = 2. Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution beginning 1901 the roster is: D = 8, R = 16. Pollution is not a political trait. In the beginning pollution was not understood, and by the time manufacturers were convinced of the issue, it was too late. Over the past 10 years, the river HAS become cleaner, so I am convinced that the contention of several posters here that the problem is improper filtering is true. FYI, I was born and raised in Flint when it was a 'toddling town'. I no longer live there, but have loads of family struggling with this.

I grew up in Michigan

Fool.

You know nothing of Michigan's pollution, one of us fished Michigan's rivers since he was a kid, it wasn't you. :laugh:

All the more reason you should know the difference between Lake Erie and a river that empties into the Shiawassee River, which then empties into the Saginaw River, which then empties into the Saginaw Bay, which then empties into Lake Huron.

So, while I'm sure your deflection has helped give you a false sense of security, the fact still remains that you have not said even one thing that has any factual value at all.

Blues, since Michigan became a State is has had 48 Governors: D = 18, R = 28, W = 2. Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution beginning 1901 the roster is: D = 8, R = 16. Pollution is not a political trait. In the beginning pollution was not understood, and by the time manufacturers were convinced of the issue, it was too late. Over the past 10 years, the river HAS become cleaner, so I am convinced that the contention of several posters here that the problem is improper filtering is true. FYI, I was born and raised in Flint when it was a 'toddling town'. I no longer live there, but have loads of family struggling with this.

There is no denying that Michigan has been a blue collar Democrat state for decades, with the polluting areas of the state largely under Democrat control. I'm not defending the GOP establishment they are just as much liars and corrupt as the Dem's. I still remember the field across the street from my house in Michigan, some plant next to it, and the strange blue liquid spilled out all over the ground. The state government's recommendation not to eat the fish. Its true Michigan waters are cleaner than they used to be when the fish just floated on the water dead and washed up on the shores, when countless millions of carp hung out by the large pipes spilling God knows what into the rivers.

I just take issue with these dishonest libs trying to paint this issue as 100% the fault of this current GOP governor. He has some responsibility as does state and federal EPA and other agencies. People government is incompetent and corrupt, shocker. But the libs are playing a silly blame game here.

I grew up in Michigan

Fool.

All the more reason you should know the difference between Lake Erie and a river that empties into the Shiawassee River, which then empties into the Saginaw River, which then empties into the Saginaw Bay, which then empties into Lake Huron.

So, while I'm sure your deflection has helped give you a false sense of security, the fact still remains that you have not said even one thing that has any factual value at all.

Hey if you wish to continue looking a fool by all means have at it.

The river's not polluted, moron. :slap:

Sure its like drinking bottled water well except for the sewage..."Flint water treatment plant discharges mixture of storm water and sewage into Flint River" I grew up in Michigan fool, dead fish lining the shore of Lake Erie at the state park with do not enter the water warning signs. :laugh:
Was that when Erie caught fire at the Cuyahoga confluence?

Forum List

Back