Addressed to people who are not racists

Tank is not racist. He just pretends to be. It's his make believe online personna.

Well, he can do that from ignore. Because his brand of hateful ugly doesn't look any different than the real thing.

As Gracie has said before; I'm here to have fun. And reading the equivalent of sewage is not fun. In fact, it makes me sick in my spirit.

I know Boop. Ditto.

Might have to take a hiatus from this joint for awhile. Just a heads up if I am not around for a wee bit.

Tank is not racist. He just pretends to be. It's his make believe online personna.
I don't even know what a racist is.

To me a racist is a person that hates a race of people.

But, to liberals a racist is someone who did not vote for Obama

I grew up in a county that was 99.5% white and as a kid I never gave race any thought. My Mother, the Christian that she was taught me we are all equal. The first black kid I ever saw was part of a group from a reform school they brought from Baltimore to go swimming and hiking in the forest I lived next to. The kid missed the bus and ours being the closest house he came knocking on our door. He was literally shaking with fear. He was afraid they would think he escaped. My mom went over and gave him a big hug and said it's ok honey, I'll call the school and explain. And she sure did. She called and jumped all over them and asked how they could be so inept as to leave one of there kids behind. A couple hours later a deputy came and got him. But not before he got a good home cooked meal. He kept in touch with us until he died of cancer years later. And I know she had a hand in turning him around. Mama told me to judge people by character and not color long before I heard MLK's words.

I grew up in a county that was 99.5% white and as a kid I never gave race any thought. My Mother, the Christian that she was taught me we are all equal. The first black kid I ever saw was part of a group from a reform school they brought from Baltimore to go swimming and hiking in the forest I lived next to. The kid missed the bus and ours being the closest house he came knocking on our door. He was literally shaking with fear. He was afraid they would think he escaped. My mom went over and gave him a big hug and said it's ok honey, I'll call the school and explain. And she sure did. She called and jumped all over them and asked how they could be so inept as to leave one of there kids behind. A couple hours later a deputy came and got him. But not before he got a good home cooked meal. He kept in touch with us until he died of cancer years later. And I know she had a hand in turning him around. Mama told me to judge people by character and not color long before I heard MLK's words.

Okay, you made me cry. :huddle:

We have several here on the board. I am not talking to you.

I would like to ask people who are not racists if they have ever had friends or family who were racists and if so, how did you handle that relationship.

It's tough to deal with them, for sure. I know lots of liberals who accept affirmative action simply because they hate white people and want to see them persecuted. There is no reasoning with them and i don't talk race with them.

. Mama told me to judge people by character and not color long before I heard MLK's words.

Glad to hear you are 100% opposed to affirmative action. Us anti-racists must stick together and eradicate the monstrous hate crime that is AA.

Great post! As a man of faith, I don't ever consider race to be an issue. In the eyes of God we are all created equal.

Well, he can do that from ignore. Because his brand of hateful ugly doesn't look any different than the real thing.
You are the "real thing", just look at this thread you started

We have several here on the board. I am not talking to you.

I would like to ask people who are not racists if they have ever had friends or family who were racists and if so, how did you handle that relationship. Because I don't know how. I find it just as difficult here as in real life to tolerate the ignorance and ugliness being spewed by such people.

I have a cousin who is no longer speaking to me (good riddance) because I told him I couldn't stand the ugliness anymore. It's like he doesn't know how to even shut it off, discuss anything else - he's all about the hate. And frankly, I don't get it. He is not 'all that,' that he should be denigrating 'those people' all the damn time.

Plus, it's almost like he's using it as a weapon, trying to gouge people into reacting, so he can start up again. My aunt and uncle are bewildered, they don't know where all this shit is coming from. He was raised better than that. I don't know much about M.S., but I doubt that it's affecting his brain to this degree.

Blah.

Anyway. Anybody else dealing with what I'm up against?

My Mom had MS and in my opinion it definitely can affect one's personality. Your cousin may be going through some "changes" because of that but you know him better than I do. I remember when I was a kid and we went to visit our Aunt and Uncle (White side of my family) a few towns over in Smithtown and my uncle asked my Dad not to bring my Mother (Puerto Rican/Black) back over because the neighbors (White) were complaining. The "funny" part about it was that he said that my sister and I were "ok" to come over, but I guess my Mother was too "dark"............
Needless to say, we never really saw them again, it's a real shame because we had a lot of fun crawling over Uncle Freddy's back when he played with us, they were both real nice to and liked my Mom, but sadly "neighbor pressure" overcame them.

I'm going to try again. Give him time to cool down, and try to have a level-headed conversation with him about why this is not acceptable. If he wants to trash talk, he'll have to find somebody else to vomit on.

My Grandmother was racist. I just ignored her it seldom came up.

My Dad was racist but he could learn to like individuals and then they were somehow alright.

My brother is racist. I just ignore it, it seldom comes up.

I tried very hard to let my children learn who they liked and did not like, and I never spouted racist comments or themes around them. They both grew up accepting of people not race. They judge individuals not races.

I will say that while my parents were racists when I was growing up, they never passed their preconceived notions onto us, always wanting us to think for ourselves. When my sister married a black man, it broke up my parents marriage but that was about more than him being black and when they had grandkids, they got over it real fast, they loved their grandkids.

My Dad was racist but he could learn to like individuals and then they were somehow alright.

I tried very hard to let my children learn who they liked and did not like, and I never spouted racist comments or themes around them. They both grew up accepting of people not race. They judge individuals not races.

I will say that while my parents were racists when I was growing up, they never passed their preconceived notions onto us, always wanting us to think for ourselves. When my sister married a black man, it broke up my parents marriage but that was about more than him being black and when they had grandkids, they got over it real fast, they loved their grandkids.

To paraphrase Weird Al, "I would swim naked through a pool of double-edged razor blades" if they were on the other side. :) *the grands*

My brother in law is black, and one of the biggest racists I've ever met. When his daughters were in high school, he wouldn't let them date whites. I'm thrilled now that one of them is married to a white man. Funny thing is my father was racist. My parents split up when my sister married her husband. It caused a major rift in the family which eventually was sealed and my parents remarried each other. My brother in law, however, continued to get worse and worse. You wouldn't believe the horrible stuff he said about my father in my mother's house less than a week after my father was buried, and in front of my children. Another major rift. Funny, but my sister and her husband refused to speak to the family until my mother was on her deathbed and suddenly, they were chummy again. I know they just wanted money. After mom died, they insisted on selling her house and getting their share when the rest of us wanted to keep it and use it for vacations, etc. Being as times were bad, both my husband and my other sister's husband were out of work, we couldn't afford to buy them out and had to sell. We got a lot less than we would have if we'd hung on to it for awhile. Sadly, the whole family seems to have been ripped apart now without my parents to hold us together.

When he said those things, did you hold your tongue? I mean, I did. For the longest time. But he seemed to take my silence as agreement, and things just got uglier and uglier. :(

I held my tongue up until that scene after my father died. I let him have it, called him an "a$$hole" and I don't usually use language like that. Then I gathered up my children and left. I understand, after I left, everyone else took their turns as well, which is what led to my sister's email about not wanting to have anything to do with the family anymore. I think John (my brother in law) expected to become the family patriarch after my father died as he was the oldest male (only 2 years younger than my mother). Boy, did we open his eyes. I don't think they were the best of parents, as soon as they could, their daughters moved away from home. One of them now lives in Texas and the other on lived in South Carolina, last I heard. They were sure beautiful girls but I haven't heard from them in years. Funny how my sister stayed in close contact with us up until she didn't need babysitters anymore.

My parents said, "We don't care if he's green, as long as he treats you right."

I asked my mom about that as an adult and she laughed and said "Oh, we didn't mean it! We just didn't want you growing up with the preconceptions we had."

I think the best is the story my other sister tells me. About how they were driving home from a family get together and her daughter said "I'm never gonna marry a black man!" She asked "Why's that?" and her daughters said, "Because they don't like my family and if they don't like my family, I don't like them." to which my sister responded "Honey, John's not like that because he's black, he's like that because he's a jerk!"

My brother in law is black, and one of the biggest racists I've ever met. When his daughters were in high school, he wouldn't let them date whites. I'm thrilled now that one of them is married to a white man. Funny thing is my father was racist. My parents split up when my sister married her husband. It caused a major rift in the family which eventually was sealed and my parents remarried each other. My brother in law, however, continued to get worse and worse. You wouldn't believe the horrible stuff he said about my father in my mother's house less than a week after my father was buried, and in front of my children. Another major rift. Funny, but my sister and her husband refused to speak to the family until my mother was on her deathbed and suddenly, they were chummy again. I know they just wanted money. After mom died, they insisted on selling her house and getting their share when the rest of us wanted to keep it and use it for vacations, etc. Being as times were bad, both my husband and my other sister's husband were out of work, we couldn't afford to buy them out and had to sell. We got a lot less than we would have if we'd hung on to it for awhile. Sadly, the whole family seems to have been ripped apart now without my parents to hold us together.

When he said those things, did you hold your tongue? I mean, I did. For the longest time. But he seemed to take my silence as agreement, and things just got uglier and uglier. :(

I held my tongue up until that scene after my father died. I let him have it, called him an "a$$hole" and I don't usually use language like that. Then I gathered up my children and left. I understand, after I left, everyone else took their turns as well, which is what led to my sister's email about not wanting to have anything to do with the family anymore. I think John (my brother in law) expected to become the family patriarch after my father died as he was the oldest male (only 2 years younger than my mother). Boy, did we open his eyes. I don't think they were the best of parents, as soon as they could, their daughters moved away from home. One of them now lives in Texas and the other on lived in South Carolina, last I heard. They were sure beautiful girls but I haven't heard from them in years. Funny how my sister stayed in close contact with us up until she didn't need babysitters anymore.

I cannot condemn you. My father showed his ass at my mother's funeral, and I stood up and yelled "You PRICK!" before I left in tears. We made peace months later, but he had no business saying such things to me at my mother's funeral.

Conversely, as my nephew so astutely pointed out, the man had never had to bury his wife of fifty years before, either and maybe he wasn't in a very sturdy place at the time.

So that's my excuse as well.

My parents said, "We don't care if he's green, as long as he treats you right."

I asked my mom about that as an adult and she laughed and said "Oh, we didn't mean it! We just didn't want you growing up with the preconceptions we had."

I think the best is the story my other sister tells me. About how they were driving home from a family get together and her daughter said "I'm never gonna marry a black man!" She asked "Why's that?" and her daughters said, "Because they don't like my family and if they don't like my family, I don't like them." to which my sister responded "Honey, John's not like that because he's black, he's like that because he's a jerk!"

That's pretty much my motto. Don't be making excuses. You're a jerk, loud and proud be a jerk. You're not better because you're black or white or whatever. Nor are you worse. You just ARE.

One day I called up a friend of mine that was black, and I said "Jane, I think slavery was a good idea" big pause, silence on the other end and finally, "Okay Sheila, I know you, go on.." I said, "We just picked the wrong people to be slaves." She said, "OH?" "Yeah, we need to make men our slaves!" She was down with that. :lol:

Forum List

Back