Almost half of Americans work in low paid jobs

I have a solution. Import millions of people from third world countries willing to work for peanuts and let the taxpayers pay for their healthcare. That'll raise the standard of living for blue collar workers.

If you have to work 3, 4, or 5 jobs to support your family, then maybe it's not the wages that are the problem. Maybe the problem is you had a family you could never support in the first place.
We need some children to pay for them baby boomers.

That doesn't mean you should have children you could never afford, and then bitch about how your employer doesn't pay you enough to support them.
Anyone working multiple jobs with a family probably deserves good pay. But you righties think only ceos deserve good pay and our growing inequality keeps our economy slow...

What's with this "deserve" nonsense? Nobody opens up a business based on what employees deserve. They open up a business to provide products or services at a profit.

Solution to low wage problems? Open up your own business and pay more.

I have a widget factory. I pay my employees on average $12.00 per hour. You despise what I pay my employees because it's not a livable wage. Then what you need to do is open up your own widget company, pay your employees $19.00 an hour, and problem solved.

Now when we go to customers to sell our widgets, who do you think is going to buy yours? Nobody. Why? Because I produce my widgets much cheaper than yours.
Anyone with any sense would buy the better one, or not at all.

What if you cannot afford the higher priced item?

Shows how hollow the Trump economy is

Almost half of Americans work in low-wage jobs

America's unemployment rate is at a half-century low, but it also has a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population, with a study finding 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000.

Contrary to popular opinion, these workers aren't teenagers or young adults just starting their careers,
Businesses don't pay higher wages today because they don't have to. Labor unions are all but gone in many sectors. Rather than pay higher wages, many businesses have the option of sending jobs overseas or automating. Many businesses operate on a very short time horizon, that is there is their goal is producing as much income now with little concern for the future. Thus when the business hires it has little interest in an employee's potential in 5 years. Likewise the employee tends have little interest in the business because the business is likely to be bought out, radically changed, or go under. Quoting my grandson, life is just one shitty job after another.

People should quit dodging the elephant in the room, people love to exploit brown people for cheap vegetables, Asians for sweat shop labor for products at Walmart then bitch how come they are not paid more.
It's not so much that businesses seek to take advantage of minorities. They seek to take advantage any opportunity that exist and that means hiring the best for the job at lowest possible wage. This did not start with Trump or Obama but is a trend that started in late 20 century with the collapse of labor unions and growth of social safety nets.

When businesses hire today, they want to know what can you do for me today. They don't care about your potential to develop in the future which is why businesses have little interest in providing education for employees beyond their present job. The end result is the employee is selling his skills to businesses just as businesses are selling their wares to customers. Business don't care who their customers are, just so they buy and likewise employees don't care much about their employers just so they get a paycheck.

So what's wrong with this scenario? Nothing except it does not take into account loyalty between employees and employers. The best employees jump ship at first sign of real trouble in the business. Likewise employers dump good employees when personal problems begin to interfere with work. The result is problems by either are exacerbated by the other. Will this change? No, it is a new paradigm of the 21st century.

We need some children to pay for them baby boomers.

That doesn't mean you should have children you could never afford, and then bitch about how your employer doesn't pay you enough to support them.
Anyone working multiple jobs with a family probably deserves good pay. But you righties think only ceos deserve good pay and our growing inequality keeps our economy slow...

What's with this "deserve" nonsense? Nobody opens up a business based on what employees deserve. They open up a business to provide products or services at a profit.

Solution to low wage problems? Open up your own business and pay more.

I have a widget factory. I pay my employees on average $12.00 per hour. You despise what I pay my employees because it's not a livable wage. Then what you need to do is open up your own widget company, pay your employees $19.00 an hour, and problem solved.

Now when we go to customers to sell our widgets, who do you think is going to buy yours? Nobody. Why? Because I produce my widgets much cheaper than yours.
Anyone with any sense would buy the better one, or not at all.

What if you cannot afford the higher priced item?
Then I guess you are SOL

America's unemployment rate is at a half-century low, but it also has a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population, with a study finding 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000.

Contrary to popular opinion, these workers aren't teenagers or young adults just starting their careers,

Interesting.

One question.

Is that higher, lower, or about the same as previous presidents?
Higher. inequality and upward Mobility just keeps getting worse and worse because of GOP tax rates, a giveaway to the rich and a screw job for everyone else. only brainwashed ignoramuses make this possible. 4 30 years now. Because of reconciliation and filibuster rules written by the GOP oh, it take 60 votes for reform but only 51 to cut taxes on the rich and services for everyone else. Great job.

got a link showing it higher than previous presidents?
Since 1982 inequality and upward Mobility just keep getting worse. End of story. Thanks GOP and silly dupes. that's what happens when you don't tax the rich and giant corporations enough. Google fact left the demise of the middle class. My phone doesn't do links anymore....

Since 1982 inequality and upward Mobility just keep getting worse. End of story.
and since that time, government has been about equally held by the democrats and republicans, as shown by my chart.

Without something concrete to back up your assertation, it's opinion only.
but the GOP has the reconciliation rule which means they can pass tax cuts for the rich and screw jobs for everyone else with 51 votes. That's all they care about anyway except their stupid wedge issues for Dupes like you... Democrats need 60 votes for reform. What a scam did you notice that you know absolutely nothing about what is actually going on? Our media is doing a great job especially the GOP propaganda machine...

When it's a Democrat....any job will do tho.

We saw this coming when Trump gave his $1.5 trillion tax cut with a 40 percent cut in Corporate tax rates

Very little managed to trickle down to the workers
If you had good plans yourself you would not have to cheat to get elected. You are direct with your taxes and such. Right to the peasants. Screw the trickle, its a blood bath with you. But you do manage to gripe about the rich without doing a damn thing about it. For years and decades and more decades. The first two years of the Obama administration was there for the taking. Massive differences in seats against Repubs in the congress. You did nothing. You did add another nice big tax in Obamacare with even a soviet style penalty and we thank you. You did what you are programmed to do. Before the boomer generation dies out, the Obama pain pill will be used in lieu of hospital treatment for expense reasons. But you will be on agendas only dreamed about right now. The eco green movement will provide many jobs even if it doesn't work as advertised and it won't....for the Chinese.

The biggest problem with your wandering screed is the Golden Rule

He who has the gold, makes the rules

As it should be.

got a link showing it higher than previous presidents?
Since 1982 inequality and upward Mobility just keep getting worse. End of story. Thanks GOP and silly dupes. that's what happens when you don't tax the rich and giant corporations enough. Google fact left the demise of the middle class. My phone doesn't do links anymore....

Since 1982 there has been two Democratic Presidents and the House has been held by the Democrats a few times, so why are the GOP the only ones to blame?
because they are the ones who passed our ridiculous reconciliation and filibuster rules that mean that it takes 60 votes for reform but only 51 votes for cutting taxes on the rich and cutting services for everyone else. Period. So the Republicans cut taxes on the rich and services for everyone else with 51 votes, and that's all they care about by the way, Dupe. And the Democrats have had 60 votes in the Senate and unity 4 35 days under Obama in the middle of a GOP World depression meltdown in the last 50 years.

Awww, it is always the other side fault and compromise is never allow with radicals.

Fact is Clinton and Obama did nothing to forward your agenda to make Politicians the only ones with any form of riches while the rest suffer.

Fact is you have to give and take and States can raise taxes on corporations and tax to help fund programs within their states, so why are so many States failing their people?

Why hasn't California taken all the money from those rich people in their state and redistributed to the poor?

Simple, Democrats are also owned by the rich and their promises are empty like their voter base heads!

Actually, it's because they know those industries would leave their state, and head for higher grounds in a lower taxed state.

Here, the all Democrat Cleveland Council brought up the idea of a $15.00 minimum wage. They voted down their own idea. Why? Because they were afraid of losing businesses to the suburbs. So then their next idea was to address the county with their plan, but the county rejected it for the same reason; businesses would move to counties outside of ours.

They finally dropped the idea altogether.
and that, Dupes, is why not much happens without the federal government doing it. And nothing happens with the garbage propaganda GOP of today anyway. Only garbage propaganda makes this possible.

We saw this coming when Trump gave his $1.5 trillion tax cut with a 40 percent cut in Corporate tax rates

Very little managed to trickle down to the workers
If you had good plans yourself you would not have to cheat to get elected. You are direct with your taxes and such. Right to the peasants. Screw the trickle, its a blood bath with you. But you do manage to gripe about the rich without doing a damn thing about it. For years and decades and more decades. The first two years of the Obama administration was there for the taking. Massive differences in seats against Repubs in the congress. You did nothing. You did add another nice big tax in Obamacare with even a soviet style penalty and we thank you. You did what you are programmed to do. Before the boomer generation dies out, the Obama pain pill will be used in lieu of hospital treatment for expense reasons. But you will be on agendas only dreamed about right now. The eco green movement will provide many jobs even if it doesn't work as advertised and it won't....for the Chinese.

The biggest problem with your wandering screed is the Golden Rule

He who has the gold, makes the rules

As it should be.

translation, biggest dog eats all others>>>

~S~

This study is by the Brookings Institution a famous Liberal "Think Tank". The data has not been reviewed and is likely skewed to put a negative spin on the remarkably robust jobs economy.
Poor in America means you’ve got an iPhone 6 and your DVD player doesn’t play Blu Ray.
Actually it means you struggle to support your family, fear getting sick or injured, have little hope of retiring comfortably
Cry me a river. People sell their children in other nations so the rest of the family can eat once a day.

Ummm...that is the standard you hold America to?

I thought you guys were supposed to Make America Great?
Only a liar can claim there’s poor people in America who are mentally sound.

A.) So, being mentally sound is a choice?
Really?
So people chose to be Down Syndrome, or Schizophrenic?

B.) There's plenty of mentally sound people working menial jobs.
College is expensive, and job competition is strong.

Let them eat cake!

It's the Republican way.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Businesses don't pay higher wages today because they don't have to. Labor unions are all but gone in many sectors. Rather than pay higher wages, many businesses have the option of sending jobs overseas or automating. Many businesses operate on a very short time horizon, that is there is their goal is producing as much income now with little concern for the future. Thus when the business hires it has little interest in an employee's potential in 5 years. Likewise the employee tends have little interest in the business because the business is likely to be bought out, radically changed, or go under. Quoting my grandson, life is just one shitty job after another.

People should quit dodging the elephant in the room, people love to exploit brown people for cheap vegetables, Asians for sweat shop labor for products at Walmart then bitch how come they are not paid more.
It's not so much that businesses seek to take advantage of minorities. They seek to take advantage any opportunity that exist and that means hiring the best for the job at lowest possible wage. This did not start with Trump or Obama but is a trend that started in late 20 century with the collapse of labor unions and growth of social safety nets.

When businesses hire today, they want to know what can you do for me today. They don't care about your potential to develop in the future which is why businesses have little interest in providing education for employees beyond their present job. The end result is the employee is selling his skills to businesses just as businesses are selling their wares to customers. Business don't care who their customers are, just so they buy and likewise employees don't care much about their employers just so they get a paycheck.

So what's wrong with this scenario? Nothing except it does not take into account loyalty between employees and employers. The best employees jump ship at first sign of real trouble in the business. Likewise employers dump good employees when personal problems begin to interfere with work. The result is problems by either are exacerbated by the other. Will this change? No, it is a new paradigm of the 21st century.

Loyalty between employer and employee does not exist anymore, except perhaps for very small companies. A business owner doesn't know when an employee is going to be calling off of work all the time, and an employee doesn't know if the employer will sell out his business to somebody else, putting them in a precarious situation.

The companies I'm familiar with merged, sold out, and within a year, got rid of all the employees from the old company. That happened to me one time when I was younger. That's how I learned. I used to put in a lot of hours, sometimes I worked 7 days a week. When we were sold, one by one, each employee either quit from too much BS, or were laid off like I was.

Since 1982 there has been two Democratic Presidents and the House has been held by the Democrats a few times, so why are the GOP the only ones to blame?
because they are the ones who passed our ridiculous reconciliation and filibuster rules that mean that it takes 60 votes for reform but only 51 votes for cutting taxes on the rich and cutting services for everyone else. Period. So the Republicans cut taxes on the rich and services for everyone else with 51 votes, and that's all they care about by the way, Dupe. And the Democrats have had 60 votes in the Senate and unity 4 35 days under Obama in the middle of a GOP World depression meltdown in the last 50 years.

Awww, it is always the other side fault and compromise is never allow with radicals.

Fact is Clinton and Obama did nothing to forward your agenda to make Politicians the only ones with any form of riches while the rest suffer.

Fact is you have to give and take and States can raise taxes on corporations and tax to help fund programs within their states, so why are so many States failing their people?

Why hasn't California taken all the money from those rich people in their state and redistributed to the poor?

Simple, Democrats are also owned by the rich and their promises are empty like their voter base heads!

Actually, it's because they know those industries would leave their state, and head for higher grounds in a lower taxed state.

Here, the all Democrat Cleveland Council brought up the idea of a $15.00 minimum wage. They voted down their own idea. Why? Because they were afraid of losing businesses to the suburbs. So then their next idea was to address the county with their plan, but the county rejected it for the same reason; businesses would move to counties outside of ours.

They finally dropped the idea altogether.
and that, Dupes, is why not much happens without the federal government doing it. And nothing happens with the garbage propaganda GOP of today anyway. Only garbage propaganda makes this possible.

You know why the fucking government does so much?

Because the fucking government never gets it right the first or the fifth time that's why.

The Big Dig

700% over budget and the work was still so fucking shoddy that a motorist was killed by falling debris

They have to compete with illegals, as well as legal low skill immigrants. What are you going to do about that?

Average%20wage%20%202019-12-02-M.jpg

Yeah, the obummer economy caused millions to lose their full time jobs, and now, thanks to Trump, that terrible situation is being reversed.

Of course obummer, your hero, had 8 years to fuck this country up. Trump has only had three years to correct that mess.

LOL.
So, it's Obama who not only caused Corporations to hire people part time because of paying less in benefits.
But, it's also Obama who caused the Recession of 2007 - 2009?

Ah those greedy unions and our strong economic growth. That was so horrible. But ceos should make insane amounts shipping off jobs right? You are a funny one.

I love how you on the left always excoriate businesses. Back to the widget factory analogy: You and I own widget factories. We both need a highly talented and rare person to operate our finances, manage operations, oversee sales, and get new business.

So one comes along and applies to your company. He or she has a long history of success; taking companies that were just about to close, and making them profitable again, drawing new investors that allowed for expansion, reducing waste and adding productivity. This CEO wants 5 million a year. You refuse to pay that amount.

So now that CEO comes to my company, and I agree to pay him the 5 mil a year. Now he gets to work, and eventually takes your customers and brings them to my company. That's the reason I pay him 5 million a year, because he can make my company 10 million dollars more profitable a year.
That is some imagination you have Ray, ceo pay is not based on performance. You still think this is capitalism? Too funny.

Of course it's based on performance. Since you live in movie land, do tell, why would a company pay a person millions and millions of dollars.....based on what???
Why did they pay hunter Biden? You live in fantasy land kid, shit happens in the business world all the time. Corps are loaded with useless kids of rich parents.

Hunter has a father that's a political hack. Of course they hired Hunter for connections through his father. But that's extremely rare.

Companies, the kind that handle large sums of money like IRA's don't invest in companies with poor performance or shady operators. Their business is to make profit for their investors. They do the research to make sure their money is going to grow because that's how they get paid.

I doubt you'll find many American dollars invested in Burisma.
Extremely rare? Haha you really know nothing,

Not exactly millions:

These same union leaders who criticize the salaries of CEOs earned on average $252,370 in 2016 — nearly $60,000 more than their private-sector counterparts.

But the AFL-CIO report neglected to include the average salary for all CEOs in the U.S. in 2016, which, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, was $194,350. These same union leaders who criticize the salaries of CEOs earned on average $252,370 in 2016 — nearly $60,000 more than their private-sector counterparts.

It was only in the third paragraph of my link.
Anyone can start a company and be a ceo,

Sure they can, but how many actually do? The point being that union bosses are extremely well paid, and probably don't have a quarter of education and experience that a CEO does. But you people on the left never complain about pay with your own people.

Let me ask: Do you think it's proper that a star pitcher make 6 million a year, while the beer vendor makes ten bucks an hour, or the popcorn man, or the parking lot attendant? Do you think it's fair when the baseball team owner makes more than all of them combined?

I was a fan of the show Big Bang Theory. So I looked up some information about the cast. Turns out the star actors and actresses on that show earned a million dollars an episode. Plus they get other residuals such as rerun money on other networks. How much work goes into making a half-hour show when you exclude commercials? They work about ten minutes an episode each.

So how much is the lighting crew paid, the hair dressers, the makeup artists, the stage crew?

But you people on the left have no problem going to a basketball game or movie. Those are multi-millionaire you approve of.
And they get workers better pay and don’t ship jobs off to China. So awful.
I have seen libs argue that trade with china is good because it lifted millions of chinese out of poverty

They are completely out of touch with reality
China sends us their resources for almost nothing, what’s the problem?

Forum List

Back