🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 Are Protestants part of the Catholic Church?

But the clincher by far is the deserting of the creation myth with a modified version of evolution being summoned up, to suit some of the facts of modern science.
The story of creation is so much more than that single issue over how long did it take. In the original Hebrew (and this can be seen in other Bible passages) the word signifying 'day' was often used to signify a period of time. If you have ever used the phrase, "In my grandfather's day..." then you see how the use of day can still signify a long period of time.

Who gave you the right to pick and choose what constitutes a sin and what is now accepted by the heads of the churches?
I am merely noting what was included even in the old Baltimore Catechism. Mortal sin puts one in danger of hell--it does not put one in hell. That is basic instruction about mortal sin,

The story of creation is so much more than that single issue over how long did it take. In the original Hebrew (and this can be seen in other Bible passages) the word signifying 'day' was often used to signify a period of time. If you have ever used the phrase, "In my grandfather's day..." then you see how the use of day can still signify a long period of time.
thanks for the discussion-----but keep in mind---the book was not written
in colloquial american english

In the opinion of many Christians, the Catholic church's acceptance of Darwinian evolution 'with a twist' would have to be the ultimate sin!
Shrug. Many Christians can think what they wish. The Church said long ago belief in evolution is not a sin. In fact, evolution was taught in Catholic schools when I was a kid...over fifty years ago.

You may wish to reread my post. I said IF the Catholic/Orthodox Church CEASED TO EXIST, I would choose Judaism over non-Catholic Christianity. Do you really think the Catholic Church will cease to exist? I don't.

With this the reality, I have never considered leaving the Catholic Church, considered not attending Mass, considered not living the Sacraments. The Church dropped me directly into the lap-of-God (so-to-speak). Nothing I have seen in non-Catholic Christianity would have gotten me there. There are aspects of Judaism that may have been able to.
You revealed your misgivings with your Catholic church.
And you shouldn't ever be contemplating your church ceasing to exist.. Have you unconsciously revealed that you lack faith in the second coming? Would that be even possible after the Catholic church ceases to exist?

Now we'll move on to learning your beliefs in the Catholic church's acceptance of evolution with a twist. [\b]

Shrug. Many Christians can think what they wish.
Christians in America are likely about 50/50 on accepting even church modified evolution.
The Church said long ago belief in evolution is not a sin. In fact, evolution was taught in Catholic schools when I was a kid...over fifty years ago.
50 years ago is most likely correct in my estimation, but the heads of churches probably left it to more recently.

And fwiw, 50 years in relation to the rejecting of creation in part is not a long time.

Would you care to state your personal position?

Christians in America are likely about 50/50 on accepting even church modified evolution.
US Catholics are closer to a 60/40 split on the question of evolution. (Sixty percent agree with it). Protestants are your 50/50 split.

US Catholics are closer to a 60/40 split on the question of evolution. (Sixty percent agree with it). Protestants are your 50/50 split.
Sure! Either 50/50 or 60/40, I guessed pretty close to right.

And you presume to tell us that there's no divide existing in the Catholic church??

What belief forms the basis of all Chrstian beliefs if it isn't creation with no 'twists' added?

Are you going to get to stating your personal opinion?

And then are you going to condemn others again for their backsliding on what you personally know is the word of the god?

Pretty much as it was taught in Catholic School. God creates/created. In fact, one part of His methodology is likely to have been evolution.
50/50?
60/40?

It's over pal. The church never should have opened the door to compromising with modern science. It could have maybe remained at 90/10.

And you presume to tell us that there's no divide existing in the Catholic church??
You think we gather to fight over evolution?! It is accepted that some of us hold the opinion that the world was created in seven literal days; others hold the opinion that evolution is part of that creation.

We believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

Nothing to argue about there. We are in agreement on that point. Sure, we can wonder how He did it, but we are all certain He did do it.

And then are you going to condemn others again for their backsliding
I don't even study/believe in "backsliding" so no point in trying to deflect.

In the Catholic faith there are practicing Catholics and non-practicing Catholics. We are all still Catholic.

I agree w/ the first 2 comments at that site, have not read all of them but the Catholic Church sees baptized Christians who are not Catholic as part of the Church

See said comments, which I am 99.9% sure is what the CC teaches

I'm neither Protestant nor Catholic. But yes, the Bible refers to both of you as the Great Whore, and the Daughters of the Whore

I'm neither Protestant nor Catholic. But yes, the Bible refers to both of you as the Great Whore, and the Daughters of the Whore
No, it does not. John was writing/describing institutions of his own day.

You think we gather to fight over evolution?! It is accepted that some of us hold the opinion that the world was created in seven literal days; others hold the opinion that evolution is part of that creation.

We believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

Nothing to argue about there. We are in agreement on that point. Sure, we can wonder how He did it, but we are all certain He did do it.
It nowhere says the world was created over billions of years. It says what it says. People believe the words or they don't. But the vast majority MISINTERPRET the first verses of Genesis

Really. So you committed sins knowing they would separate you from God, and you embraced this separation willingly? In other words, you choose to spend an eternity committing this sin(s) over being with God?
You pulled that quote out of context and you damn well know it.

I posted …

However it does seem the Catholic Church has a long list of mortal sins. I read through the following list and if it applies to me as basically a Protestant, I am definitely headed to Hell. I can feel the heat of the flames already.

I just learned about the idea of mortal sins a couple of days ago from a post on this forum. I don’t agree with the concept and I feel it is a way for the Catholic Church to make members of their congregation feel more guilty so they contribute more to the church. It costs a lot to maintain those beautiful cathedrals Catholics love so much.

I don't even study/believe in "backsliding" so no point in trying to deflect.

In the Catholic faith there are practicing Catholics and non-practicing Catholics. We are all still Catholic.
Are you trying to deflect by saying that some Catholics don't practice.

That's not what the 60/40 represents though.

Would you like to say what the 60/40 represents and which side you've decided is the right side?
Actually, it's close enough to 50/50 that it doesn't really matter to me.

Repentance, meaning turning away from that sin. This is where the heart comes into play. Under similar circumstances would he do the same thing? Or, did he see the horror of what he had done to others and to his own soul to the point not under any circumstances would he do anything like it again?
Fair answer.

Forum List

Back