Arizona execution goes terribly wrong

Tell me what makes you think a person who plans and commits horrific murders and is found guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt deserves to live?

it's not about "deserving to live". it's about us not torturing them to death. it says more about us than them.
Bull shit! It is about justice!

Don't be an ass.

Jillian is a partisan hack, but she has no grasp of law - so don't react too harshly.

Killer Takes 2 Hours to Die

Nowhere can I find information on the crime he committed that took him to the death chamber.

But, my question is – how much agony did his victims suffer? How long did it take him/her/them to die?

As someone in authority said over the last few days, this is the stupidest and least efficient way of carrying out a death sentence. Just put him before a firing squad and get it over with.

Read more @ Arizona Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began - TIME plus dozen of other news sites.

Are we supposed to sink to the level of convicted murderers?

Is that the standard we set?

I'm sure his victims died quite comfortably. :thup:

do you see anything in this amendment that says "except for really nasty criminals"?

AMENDMENT VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Eighth Amendment | Constitution | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

We've come to a strange place with regard to 8th Amendment jurisprudence, where the death penalty is Constitutional but the means by which the condemned are put to death is likely not.

In our efforts to make the death penalty 'more humane,' we've succeeded in making it only more barbaric.

do you see anything in this amendment that says "except for really nasty criminals"?

AMENDMENT VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

We've come to a strange place with regard to 8th Amendment jurisprudence, where the death penalty is Constitutional but the means by which the condemned are put to death is likely not.

In our efforts to make the death penalty 'more humane,' we've succeeded in making it only more barbaric.

Saul;

I actually agree with you... :eek:

Tell me what makes you think a person who plans and commits horrific murders and is found guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt deserves to live?

it's not about "deserving to live". it's about us not torturing them to death. it says more about us than them.
Bull shit! It is about justice!

Don't be an ass.

Don't be naïve.

It's about fear and revenge.

Again, the death penalty is Constitutional, an issue best left for the states to decide in accordance with the voters of each state.

But don't be so delusional as to believe the death penalty acts as a 'deterrent,' because it doesn't – and it has little to do with 'justice.'

i'll refer you to the 8th Amendment, as well, since, apparently, only the 2nd matters to the right... the 1st, the 4th, the 5th... you don't like those so much.

Don't forget the 14th, which specifically allows the death penalty.

Didn't we hang Saddam Hussein? If it was good enough for him, why not our own citizens?

What I htink is cruel and unusual is spending years on death row. Should get 1 appeal, but if confirmed as guilty you die that afternoon. Gunshot to the head works well. Piece of rope's even cheaper though. And guillotine's have a 100% success rate. :)

No, we didn't hang Saddam, Saddam was hung by his own people.

And frankly, that was done in a way that was kind of a cluster, too.

Killer Takes 2 Hours to Die

Nowhere can I find information on the crime he committed that took him to the death chamber.

But, my question is – how much agony did his victims suffer? How long did it take him/her/them to die?

As someone in authority said over the last few days, this is the stupidest and least efficient way of carrying out a death sentence. Just put him before a firing squad and get it over with.

Read more @ Arizona Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began - TIME plus dozen of other news sites.

Are we supposed to sink to the level of convicted murderers?

Is that the standard we set?

Why do you assume he suffered or felt anything at all?

The other drugs in the cocktail most likely rendered him unconscious and unaware.

AMENDMENT VIII

We have overcomplicated things.

If you want to off someone painlessly and quickly a simple cocktail of succinylcholine and propofol would do the trick.

The execution did not go wrong. It ended with the desired result. It just took a bit longer.

Bring back the firing squad or hanging. Quick and cheap.

Why not the Guillotine? Makes everyone happy.

It's quick but still fulfills the bloodlust of the folks who just want to kill someone.

Guillotine works too. It's so quick it's painless. If it is gory it is only gory for observers. The executed don't even know.

how do you know?....how long does the head stay alive?....the brain has suffered no trauma....

If his victims were my loved ones, I would exact such torture that he would beg for this injection.

This is a good point.I wonder how many of the bleeding hearts would kick the merry shit out of any bastard that hurt their families.

Personally, my temper would take over, making an execution less likely to be required.

I'm sure most of us would. But that's not how the justice system is supposed to work.

the problem with the death penalty is that we frequently put the wrong guy on death row.

In Illinois, we had a guy named Ronaldo Cruz who was put on death row after another man named Brian Dugan confessed to the crime. Why did this happen? Because the officials in DuPage County couldn't admit they made a mistake.

i agree there....it should be without a doubt for the death penalty.....

So this is what America has become...a human rights wasteland?
So this is what America has become...a human rights wasteland?
The guy was convicted of murder and sentenced to death.

The execution was carried out.

So I fail to see the problem? ... :cool:

We are a country that is supposed to celebrate its Constitutution and human rights

Barbarism is not in our constitution

Jesus said that even "God" will pull the weeds out of his garden.....some weeds are killers to those innocent flowers....

We are a country that is supposed to celebrate its Constitutution and human rights

Barbarism is not in our constitution
When you are convicted of murder and sentenced to death you lose your "rights". .. :cool:

That is why we have rights

As a nation, we do not sink to the lowest common denominator. We do not celebrate torture

torture is causing someone pain purposely......was this purposely or an unplanned happening?...

More reason the world looks at us as barbarians

Not only does the state kill people but conservatives celebrate the torture

so everyone here saying they have no problem with this are Conservatives?....you are getting as bad as Dean RW....

Yes....EVERY fucking conservative does a little dance each time someone is executed

More reason the world looks at us as barbarians

Not only does the state kill people but conservatives celebrate the torture

so everyone here saying they have no problem with this are Conservatives?....you are getting as bad as Dean RW....

Yes....EVERY fucking conservative does a little dance each time someone is executed

I oppose the death penalty, so do a lot of other conservatives.

I oppose the death penalty, so do a lot of other conservatives.

You are equally culpable

The ONLY reason we are one of the few countries to maintain the death penalty is because of American Conservatives

This is a good point.I wonder how many of the bleeding hearts would kick the merry shit out of any bastard that hurt their families.

Personally, my temper would take over, making an execution less likely to be required.

I'm sure most of us would. But that's not how the justice system is supposed to work.

the problem with the death penalty is that we frequently put the wrong guy on death row.

In Illinois, we had a guy named Ronaldo Cruz who was put on death row after another man named Brian Dugan confessed to the crime. Why did this happen? Because the officials in DuPage County couldn't admit they made a mistake.

i agree there....it should be without a doubt for the death penalty.....

But what constitutes without a doubt.

the counterbalance to Rolando Cruz (an obviously innocent guy the system bent over backwards to railroad, even after someone else confessed) is John Wayne Gacy. The guy had 29 bodies buried under his house, he was as guilty as a cat in canary cage, and yet he still managed to not get executed for 15 years, because he kept filing appeals to his sentence and kept getting delays.

In this case that was botched yesterday, the guy had committed his two murders in 1989. that's how long it took for the appeals to run out, and then they screwed it up when it came time to execute him.

Forum List

Back