Cancer patients affected by health laws

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Not good. Several had their premiums quadruple or lost coverage. Others are unhappy about large fines. More unneeded stress.

Walt Whitlow was under treatment for cancer when he got an unwelcome surprise.

His financial assistance under President Barack Obama's health care law got slashed. That meant his premium quadrupled and his deductible went from $900 to $4,600.

Cancer Patients Snagged in Health Law's Tangled Paperwork

Last edited:
Thank Gid for the ACA!

Before the ACA passed, that poor guy would have had his insurance policy cancelled, and he'd have to sell his home to pay the hospital bills. His family would have been in debt for decades.

470,000 patients had coverage that terminated due to immigration issues.

1 million had subsidies eliminated.

You were saying??

Thank Gid for the ACA!

Before the ACA passed, that poor guy would have had his insurance policy cancelled, and he'd have to sell his home to pay the hospital bills. His family would have been in debt for decades.
More granny lies. Is that all you do? He was being treated so he was covered for cancer, like most policies. If they canceled him they would have been sued big time and money would be no problem for him ever again.

before aca....i could not get insurance....those pesky pre existing conditions....i hate the high deduct but it does beat having zero insurance...not so much in what it pays but in how your insurance immediately cuts the cost nearly in half.....hospital charges...insurance allows....seems if insurance companies could regulate medical rates then so could the government ..engage in a collective bargaining with the pharm companies

BO lied about keeping your doctor, lowering HC costs, and eliminating the uninsured...yet he suffers no consequences for his lies.

before aca....i could not get insurance....those pesky pre existing conditions....i hate the high deduct but it does beat having zero insurance...not so much in what it pays but in how your insurance immediately cuts the cost nearly in half.....hospital charges...insurance allows....seems if insurance companies could regulate medical rates then so could the government ..engage in a collective bargaining with the pharm companies
That's because other people are picking up the costs. Which was as predictable as night and day. Many healthy people can no longer afford insurance.

You were saying??

"Immigration issues"? Aren't you the people who want all immigrants sent back where they came from?

Not good. Several had their premiums quadruple or lost coverage. Others are unhappy about large fines. More unneeded stress.

His financial assistance under President Barack Obama's health care law got slashed. That meant his premium quadrupled and his deductible went from $900 to $4,600.

I am recovering from cancer treatment for the second time and this thread is so stupid...

Even before Obamacare there were higher deductibles and prices for procedures , why because of people using the ER ect. and not paying.

Nothing has changed but the coverage.

1 bag of chemo = $10, 000 x 7 is $70,000
1 shot the next day = $20, 000 x 7 is $140,000

Radiation : x 6 weeks is over $40,000

Surgeries x 2 is $70,000

People were kicked off their insurance and lost their homes, they had to forego treatment and die.

So this thread is a fail....BTW no paperwork at all...and I have the best care at Stanford

That's because other people are picking up the costs. Which was as predictable as night and day. Many healthy people can no longer afford insurance.
Many healthy people can not afford Not having insurance for a catastrophic condition...

it seems to indicate that his funds were slashed and that was problematic.

you should take that up with the wingnuts in congress

ice are you claiming insurance doesnt cancel people? or deny services?
Sure, if you lied about your condition you broke the contract. If you have a plan, you have a contract. Contracts are binding under law.

that shows how little you know. I'm figuring it's because you're too young to know much of anything yet.

reality: prior to the ACA insurance companies canceled people as soon as they got sick.

reality: prior to the ACA you couldn't get insurance if you had a pre-existing condition.

reality: prior to the ACA millions of people had no access to health insurance.

you're welcome.

You were saying??

"Immigration issues"? Aren't you the people who want all immigrants sent back where they came from?
"the administration is highly sensitive to criticism that some people may be getting benefits they're not legally entitled to. But Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell recently acknowledged the paperwork tangle is more likely to trap the innocent than fraudsters."

Last edited:

You were saying??

the administration is highly sensitive to criticism that some people may be getting benefits they're not legally entitled to. But Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell recently acknowledged the paperwork tangle is more likely to trap the innocent than fraudsters.

Please show me the paperwork beside what you have to fill out for the insurance companies...

You were saying??

the administration is highly sensitive to criticism that some people may be getting benefits they're not legally entitled to. But Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell recently acknowledged the paperwork tangle is more likely to trap the innocent than fraudsters.

Please show me the paperwork beside what you have to fill out for the insurance companies...
It's in the article. Paperwork related to legal immigrant status... Income etc. Several had to hire legal aid.

Forum List

Back