China drops 'peaceful reunification' reference to Taiwan

Everything.

You should educate yourself on how important microchips are to your everyday life and the economy. Not to speak of the specialized and advanced chips that China requires for their military.

I know how important microchips are.

That still doesn't have anything to do with the fact that China wants to invade Taiwan, and China is getting richer and pumping lots of money into its military, and this has nothing to do with the USA.

That still doesn't have anything to do with the fact that China wants to invade Taiwan, and China is getting richer and pumping lots of money into its military, and this has nothing to do with the USA.
Again, it has everything to do with the U.S.A.

Is your military important to you? If it is, you better have access to advanced microchips. They cannot be made elsewhere even as TMSC expands outside of Taiwan they cannot match the same production. This is extremely specialized which requires some resources from the Netherlands and I believe Japan. The manner of how fine these chips are is extraordinary.

China knows why they really want Taiwan. I suspect that American leaders know too.

Again, it has everything to do with the U.S.A.

Is your military important to you? If it is, you better have access to advanced microchips. They cannot be made elsewhere even as TMSC expands outside of Taiwan they cannot match the same production. This is extremely specialized which requires some resources from the Netherlands and I believe Japan. The manner of how fine these chips are is extraordinary.

China knows why they really want Taiwan. I suspect that American leaders know too.

Again, you're mixing up two issues thinking they're the same thing.

The US can't defend Taiwan from China if China really chooses to invade Taiwan. China has a population 4 times that of the US. Yes, it has a GDP that is a lot smaller per capita.

But really in terms of military spending, China is pumping loads of money into specialized equipment for attacking Taiwan. The US can't base itself anywhere close to Taiwan, South Korea and Japan are the closest places with US military bases. China has been working on defending its localized maritime area from foreign forces.

For the US to actively defend Taiwan, it's going to have to spend way more than it would ever bother spending on the military and even then China would probably still win.

The reality is all the US will do is provide funding and equipment, like it's done in the Ukraine. There they were dealing with a country 4 times larger than the Ukraine invading. China is 60 times larger.

If chips are important to the US, then the US needs to make chips for the US, rather than relying on Taiwan.

But again, the issue of how important Taiwan is to microchips and the US economy is totally different to the issue of China arming itself. The US can't stop China arming itself and building up a huge military.

Again, you're mixing up two issues thinking they're the same thing.

The US can't defend Taiwan from China if China really chooses to invade Taiwan. China has a population 4 times that of the US. Yes, it has a GDP that is a lot smaller per capita.

But really in terms of military spending, China is pumping loads of money into specialized equipment for attacking Taiwan. The US can't base itself anywhere close to Taiwan, South Korea and Japan are the closest places with US military bases. China has been working on defending its localized maritime area from foreign forces.

For the US to actively defend Taiwan, it's going to have to spend way more than it would ever bother spending on the military and even then China would probably still win.

The reality is all the US will do is provide funding and equipment, like it's done in the Ukraine. There they were dealing with a country 4 times larger than the Ukraine invading. China is 60 times larger.

If chips are important to the US, then the US needs to make chips for the US, rather than relying on Taiwan.

But again, the issue of how important Taiwan is to microchips and the US economy is totally different to the issue of China arming itself. The US can't stop China arming itself and building up a huge military.
Yes you can, you have to decouple. The E.U is slowly learning this and America better as well. The West has sold itself down the river even as it publicly curses authoritarian regimes. China needs to play by world rules not the other way around.

Yes you can, you have to decouple. The E.U is slowly learning this and America better as well. The West has sold itself down the river even as it publicly curses authoritarian regimes. China needs to play by world rules not the other way around.

Why does China need to play by "world rules"? There aren't any "world rules". The US never played by them.

They're not my adversary.

Taiwan is part of China.

Taiwan speaks Mandarin, their people are Han Chinese, and they call themselves the Republic of China.

This is an argument between Chinese people, it's really none of our business.
A majority of Taiwanese no longer consider themselves part of china

The threat of invasion is the only thing preventing Taiwan from declaring independance

Why does China need to play by "world rules"? There aren't any "world rules". The US never played by them.
This is a major reason why the West is losing it's influence and domestic misery expands in many of oir nations. When Canadians rights are abused you say "hey not our problem". Ditto if it happened in Ukraine or even China. The moral high ground is then lost and Americas enemies say "look what you (or an ally) did, dont lecture us". Human rights must mean something. The world cannot just be transactional. It is this support for civil liberties which made America the light on the hill and helped your standard of living and quality of life improve.and all of us benefitted (in theory, though Canada and to a.lesser extent the U.K didnt evolve as.well). Taiwan is a free, capitalist and democratic nation. They are worth supporting. We need the America of old who called out these nations. We need our modern day Reagan.

China does not want to invade Taiwan

1. They would lose

2. China relies on the Western economies for their economic well being.

A majority of Taiwanese no longer consider themselves part of china

The threat of invasion is the only thing preventing Taiwan from declaring independance

Taiwan has never been part of China

Communists took over China in 1949, they did not take Taiwan

Can they take Taiwan without destroying the semiconductor facilities?
The key to the industry is the people who build them
They won't damage such facilities that's for sure.

As for the personnel, it's amazing how obedient people become when they have a gun pointed at them.

They won't damage such facilities that's for sure.

As for the personnel, it's amazing how obedient people become when they have a gun pointed at them.

I heard an analogy that making semiconductors is like being a master chef
You can capture the kitchen but you need the chef to create gourmet meals

I don’t see how successful they would be at gunpoint

This is a major reason why the West is losing it's influence and domestic misery expands in many of oir nations. When Canadians rights are abused you say "hey not our problem". Ditto if it happened in Ukraine or even China. The moral high ground is then lost and Americas enemies say "look what you (or an ally) did, dont lecture us". Human rights must mean something. The world cannot just be transactional. It is this support for civil liberties which made America the light on the hill and helped your standard of living and quality of life improve.and all of us benefitted (in theory, though Canada and to a.lesser extent the U.K didnt evolve as.well). Taiwan is a free, capitalist and democratic nation. They are worth supporting. We need the America of old who called out these nations. We need our modern day Reagan.

The west is losing its influence because China is rising and India is rising. They have way more people. When they get GDPs even half that of the US's they're going to be very powerful on the world's stage.

The west is killing itself because it doesn't know how to deal with freedom in the social media age.

You might want to support Taiwan, but that wasn't what was being spoken about at the beginning. That was that it's was the US's fault China is rising.

I heard an analogy that making semiconductors is like being a master chef
You can capture the kitchen but you need the chef to create gourmet meals

I don’t see how successful they would be at gunpoint
History says otherwise.

You are correct about the manufacturing of chips. In fact, from what I recall seeing in a documentary, Taiwan purposely focused on the unique, specialized and critical engineering and manufacturing of chips because they wanted to have the world, including American dependent on them. They wanted America to protect them from guess who if that country ever became the country they are today.

China does not want to invade Taiwan

1. They would lose

2. China relies on the Western economies for their economic well being.

There is that.

China is pushing for "new normals" so that it can do this.

It's also pushing for self reliance. And Xi is willing to slow the economy down a bit.

Problem here is that the CCP is very much a single minded kind of operation. They decide they want something, and go for it regardless of other things. Only until the other things cause a problem do they turn away from the first and become single minded about the second.

Chins doesn’t have the navy to invade Taiwan. You’ve been taken in by empty bluster on Xi’s part and shameless echoes by MAGA fellow travelers.

#CCP=FASCISM=MAGA

Actually, they have a Navy of over 600 ships, and can quickly conscript civilian vessels for an invasion, if needed.

I don't think they will because the economic costs would be too high... but with both parties demonizing them and trying to screw with their economies, that calculus might change.

My wife showed me a video the other day where Americans were visiting China and talking about how nice it was and how everyone was so kind to them when they were over there, and then contrasted it with the shit that spews out of Faux News every day.

Again, why is this worth World War III.

I hate to say it, but if China wants Taiwan back that bad, IT'S REALLY NOT MY PROBLEM!!!
It is our problem because china wants to control all of Asia starting with the South China Sea and then expanding to all of Asia from the Indian Ocean to Japan

That would not be in our best interests

Actually, they have a Navy of over 600 ships, and can quickly conscript civilian vessels for an invasion, if needed.

I don't think they will because the economic costs would be too high... but with both parties demonizing them and trying to screw with their economies, that calculus might change.

My wife showed me a video the other day where Americans were visiting China and talking about how nice it was and how everyone was so kind to them when they were over there, and then contrasted it with the shit that spews out of Faux News every day.
They don’t have landing craft to launch an invasion

Forum List

Back