Christian friends of gays and lesbians

Tax Benefits
Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
Estate Planning Benefits
Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
Government Benefits
Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
Receiving public assistance benefits.
Employment Benefits
Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
Medical Benefits
Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
Death Benefits
Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
Making burial or other final arrangements.
Family Benefits
Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
Applying for joint foster care rights.
Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.
Housing Benefits
Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.
Consumer Benefits
Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
Other Legal Benefits and Protections
Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

in which state ?

Most states do not allow gays and lesbians to marry. Even in the states where it is legal the federal rights don't accompany the marriage. Most of what is listed above is not available for gay couples.

Same sex marriage isn't recognized by Texas yet I know several gay couples that have gained access to those rights WITHOUT being married and have moved on. Those rights that you have enumerated aren't even equally recoginized through the country for hetero marriages. You have ensured your right to claim to be a victim for many years

:disbelief::disbelief:

You're extrapolating into the twilight zone because one gay couple filed a complaint in 2007that didn't materialize into anything.

The point is that I was told... IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN. Yet, there is proof that it has happened at least once, probably more and I am convinced that phrasing the law, "gay marriage" will help the case against the church.

Immie

It's still paranoia.

No Lawsuit Materialized: Nothing happened. Calm down now Immie, it was three years ago.....would you like a glass of water?

Last edited:
Based on what though ?

Their "constitutional" right to marry and the fact that conservative churches are withholding those rights from them. The fact that there is a difference between civil and religious marriage won't matter in regards to the lawsuits.

Immie

Let me ask you this. What will get the conservative Churches off our backs?

Hehe,

Like I said, I see it the other way. The question should be, what will get the gay community off of the back of conservative churches?

I honestly do not see it as being the church attacking the gay community, but rather they other way around. The church is on the defensive here, not the offensive.

Immie

Honestly, if the solution to getting the right wing Christians off our backs is to call eveyone's civil marriage 'civil union' I'm all for it.

Let the term marriage stay in the churches or social networks.

It's the civil rights we want.

:eek:

Getting "right wing Christians" off your backs? Did I read that right?

The way I see it is getting the gay community off our backs and that is why I am all for it. :lol:

Immie

I want the right wing Christians off MY back.

Gays aren't the only ones suinig the churches

When Pastors Christine and Dennis Wiley of the Covenant Baptist church in Washington, D.C., performed a 2007 commitment ceremony for a gay couple at their altar, it split the church, prompting Yvonne Moore, a loyal church member, to sue the church for the money she had donated over the 37 years she'd been a member.
Woman Sues Church Over Gay Marriage - BV Black Spin

Based on what though ?

Their "constitutional" right to marry and the fact that conservative churches are withholding those rights from them. The fact that there is a difference between civil and religious marriage won't matter in regards to the lawsuits.

Immie

But if all couples are already considered legally married, on what grounds would anyone stand asking the State to impose upon the Church ?

You do not need grounds to file a law suit, just a good lawyer.

Some will claim that they have a right to be married and they want to be married in a church but the church is denying them that right.

Sooner or later a good lawyer is going to push the right buttons and who says they even need to? Our government is corrupt. It does not care about Constitutional rights. Politicians are doing their damnedest to take away those rights as I type this out. Freedom of Religion is no safer than the right to bear arms or the right to free speech or the right to remain silent when questioned by the police.

Our rights are continually in jeopardy. Just like people used to think General Motors was "too big to fail", our rights can be taken away from us at the drop of a gavel in Washington DC.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

But if all couples are already considered legally married, on what grounds would anyone stand asking the State to impose upon the Church ?

Some will claim that they have a right to be married and they want to be married in a church but the church is denying them that right.

Sooner or later a good lawyer is going to push the right buttons and who says they even need to? Our government is corrupt. It does not care about Constitutional rights. Politicians are doing their damnedest to take away those rights as I type this out. Freedom of Religion is no safer than the right to bear arms or the right to free speech or the right to remain silent when questioned by the police.

Our rights are continually in jeopardy. Just like people used to think General Motors was "too big to fail", our rights can be taken away from us at the drop of a gavel in Washington DC.

Immie

Immie

Our government is not corrupt. Go to any third world country and you'll see what corrupt government is.

In America, Churches have every right to discriminate. The RCC refuses to ordain women as priests. Equal rights doesn't apply to churches, they have that privelege.

Last edited:
Honestly, if the solution to getting the right wing Christians off our backs is to call eveyone's civil marriage 'civil union' I'm all for it.

Let the term marriage stay in the churches or social networks.

It's the civil rights we want.

:eek:

Getting "right wing Christians" off your backs? Did I read that right?

The way I see it is getting the gay community off our backs and that is why I am all for it. :lol:

Immie

I want the right wing Christians off MY back.

I want Mormons to quit bicycling up to my door and leaving pamplets.:mad:

I am confident that homosexual activists will seek to force their agenda on religious institutions and win when it get to SCOTUS.

Immie

Based on what though ?

Immie

Of course it would matter. As it stands any hetero couple can already try to sue the Church to marry them and yet the Church upholds certain requirements regardless...There is no precedent for any State ever over reaching the 1st Amendment in that regard.

Last edited:
Gays aren't the only ones suinig the churches

When Pastors Christine and Dennis Wiley of the Covenant Baptist church in Washington, D.C., performed a 2007 commitment ceremony for a gay couple at their altar, it split the church, prompting Yvonne Moore, a loyal church member, to sue the church for the money she had donated over the 37 years she'd been a member.
Woman Sues Church Over Gay Marriage - BV Black Spin
that was just as stupid

gays aren't the only ones suinig the churches

when pastors christine and dennis wiley of the covenant baptist church in washington, d.c., performed a 2007 commitment ceremony for a gay couple at their altar, it split the church, prompting yvonne moore, a loyal church member, to sue the church for the money she had donated over the 37 years she'd been a member.
woman sues church over gay marriage - bv black spin
that was just as stupid

Gays never sued the church in NJ!!!

Then stop making me responsible for some stupid couple in NJ. I hope they lose their lawsuit.

When did I say you were responsible for it?

You keep telling me the community would never do such a thing, but I can show you that in at least one instance they tried.

By the way, I highly doubt the couple is stupid. Maybe hard headed but I doubt they are stupid.

Immie

Here's the story. Yea, this gay couple really seem like monsters.
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR

I never said they were monsters. I still do not believe they have the right to force anyone, let alone the church, to do business with them.

Immie

The point is that I was told... IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN. Yet, there is proof that it has happened at least once, probably more and I am convinced that phrasing the law, "gay marriage" will help the case against the church.

Immie

It's still paranoia.

No Lawsuit Materialized: Nothing happened. Calm down now Immie, it was three years ago.....would you like a glass of water?

Can you tell me that it will never happen in the future?

Nope.

Immie

When did I say you were responsible for it?

You keep telling me the community would never do such a thing, but I can show you that in at least one instance they tried.

By the way, I highly doubt the couple is stupid. Maybe hard headed but I doubt they are stupid.

Immie

Here's the story. Yea, this gay couple really seem like monsters.
Gay Rights, Religious Liberties: A Three-Act Story : NPR

I never said they were monsters. I still do not believe they have the right to force anyone, let alone the church, to do business with them.

Immie

We are not your enemy.

Immie

Immie

Our government is not corrupt. Go to any third world country and you'll see what corrupt government is.

In America, Churches have every right to discriminate. The RCC refuses to ordain women as priests. Equal rights doesn't apply to churches, they have that privelege.

For now.

Not forever.

And yes, our government IS corrupt.

Immie

Immie

Immie

Immie

True but the constitution stands regardless.

All couples would have a right to be civilly married by the State.

Churches would still maintain their autonomy under the 1st amendment.

Couples would have no more grounds than they already do to attempt a lawsuit against a Church to perform a marriage.

Sky is a theist, perhaps? I am not. I feel no need to argue. I have no need to understand gays, for that mater. Would you care to explain why I should?

Immie

Immie

True but the constitution stands regardless.

All couples would have a right to be civilly married by the State.

Churches would still maintain their autonomy under the 1st amendment.

Couples would have no more grounds than they already do to attempt a lawsuit against a Church to perform a marriage.

join them civilly--drop the word marriage---problem solved

gays aren't the only ones suinig the churches

when pastors christine and dennis wiley of the covenant baptist church in washington, d.c., performed a 2007 commitment ceremony for a gay couple at their altar, it split the church, prompting yvonne moore, a loyal church member, to sue the church for the money she had donated over the 37 years she'd been a member.
woman sues church over gay marriage - bv black spin
that was just as stupid

Gays never sued the church in NJ!!!

Wrong... filing a complaint is filing a law suit. It may not have gotten any where, but they tried.

Immie

Forum List

Back