Do People who retire in foreign countries still get to vote in American elections?

Iā€™m not talking about local elections. Iā€™m talking about people who decided that a foreign country is better than America and moved there to spend the remainder of their life. Why should they have a say in decisions that wonā€™t impact them?
It will impact them. Especially if they are living off of their pensions, and retirement. Or their dividends, and income generated from rental properties, and business ventures.

Bullshit. That's how a nation achieves insolvency. Then voters just vote for whomever promises more gifts from the taxpayers treasury. Which has been the downfall of every Democracy in History. Its also the Democratic parties go to strategy to win votes.

All voters vote in their best interests.

The guy who lives under a highway overpass has the same voting rights as the guy who built that overpass.

One will vote for the guy most likely to get him out from under the overpass, the other will vote for the guy most likely to give him money to build more overpasses

Democracy in action

Yupā€¦.there was a famous quote (Iā€™ve been looking for it and havenā€™t found it yet) that says something like ā€œas soon as people can vote themselves money from the Treasury, thatā€™s the end of the Republic.ā€

Wall Street did that for years.

We
All voters vote in their best interests.

The guy who lives under a highway overpass has the same voting rights as the guy who built that overpass.

One will vote for the guy most likely to get him out from under the overpass, the other will vote for the guy most likely to give him money to build more overpasses

Democracy in action
We aren't yet, and never were intended to be, a "Democracy". Because "Democracy" is a time tested failure as a form of governance that furthers the security, and prosperity of a NATION. And that is the role of government.

There are a lot of people who don't pay taxes. For instance, old people, especially if they are in retirement homes and living on SS.
You can obviously work out the details to target those who contribute nothing. It's not an all or nothing position. Acting as such just means you lack the ability to rationalize a topic

Bullshit. That's how a nation achieves insolvency. Then voters just vote for whomever promises more gifts from the taxpayers treasury. Which has been the downfall of every Democracy in History. Its also the Democratic parties go to strategy to win votes.
You are a media brainwashed loon. Republicans give the biggest handouts & explode deficits. Only democrats impose fiscal discipline.

We

We aren't yet, and never were intended to be, a "Democracy". Because "Democracy" is a time tested failure as a form of governance that furthers the security, and prosperity of a NATION. And that is the role of government.

No nation operates as a true Democracy

You vote for a Representative. You pick the one who best represents your interests

Iā€™m not talking about local elections. Iā€™m talking about people who decided that a foreign country is better than America and moved there to spend the remainder of their life. Why should they have a say in decisions that wonā€™t impact them?

I am saying they shouldnā€™t if they are a permanent resident of another country. I have no issue with someone choosing to live abroad and keeping their citizenship.

But there is no such thing as a generic ballot for President only. Your ballot is issued at the local level and includes all offices from President down to local Dog Catcher

I dont see how you vote in a local election without residency

No nation operates as a true Democracy

You vote for a Representative. You pick the one who best represents your interests
A representative, who represents the interests of the local community, and up into ever broadening conglomeration of community. City, County, state Federal...
But at its foundation, a community is a group of people with communal investment, and interest. Non contributors are but dependents of the generosity of the contributing members.

I am saying they shouldnā€™t if they are a permanent resident of another country. I have no issue with someone choosing to live abroad and keeping their citizenship.

But there is no such thing as a generic ballot for President only. Your ballot is issued at the local level and includes all offices from President down to local Dog Catcher

I dont see how you vote in a local election without residency
So that would mean that expats - those who rejected life in America - can still vote for everything from president to dog catcher. It seems we agree that they should not.

So that would mean that expats - those who rejected life in America - can still vote for everything from president to dog catcher. It seems we agree that they should not.

It's up to the states. There is a Federal ballot for those not living in a state that allows those living abroad to vote locally.

It took me 5 minutes to look this up.

Most U.S. citizens 18 years or older who reside outside the United States are eligible to vote absentee for federal office candidates in U.S. primary and general elections. In addition, some states allow overseas citizens to vote for state and local office candidates and referendums. For information about your state, see the Voting Assistance Guide.

Absentee Voting Information for U.S. Citizens Abroad

It's up to the states. There is a Federal ballot for those not living in a state that allows those living abroad to vote locally.

It took me 5 minutes to look this up.
Still worth discussing if this is the right thing to do.

I am questioning how you can vote without having a residence in a U.S. community.
Doesnā€™t make sense

Back when I registered to vote, I had to have residence for 90 days. How can someone who doesnā€™t live in that community vote in that community

Yupā€¦.there was a famous quote (Iā€™ve been looking for it and havenā€™t found it yet) that says something like ā€œas soon as people can vote themselves money from the Treasury, thatā€™s the end of the Republic.ā€
Like wealthy people who get elected and pass permanent tax cuts or tax deductions, or lower interest rates to zero for refinancing their YUGE debt?

I am questioning how you can vote without having a residence in a U.S. community.
Doesnā€™t make sense

Back when I registered to vote, I had to have residence for 90 days. How can someone who doesnā€™t live in that community vote in that community
By contributing, and paying taxes there. Ones interests aren't solely dictated by their immediate geographical location.

Why do the rightist republicans always want to disenfranchise American citizens and their right to vote?
Awwwwā€¦..youā€™re complaining that we want to disenfranchise ā€œAmericansā€ who have rejected the country and decided to live out their lives elsewhere?

Forum List

Back