Does any real discussion happen on USMB? Or just insults, namecalling, and lies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense threads get nonsense posts. Do we need to take a look at the active topics.

How about we explore the rampant racism and hate spewed by a massive amount of members.

I asked that same question when I first came aboard. Regretfully, when rabid racists and Teapers are allowed to be the main attraction of the forum...this is what you get.

The irony meter just maxed out with that response.

Yes, some real discussion, good cites to news stories, and a reasonable list of topics. I know of no other boards with the focus on politics and current events, I have noticed a few very radical new posters but one can always skip over them.

Well, I used to participate in the Political debates much more frequently here and it was pretty much name calling and insults or it was people who are very set in their ways, don't want to listen to what you have to say, and will never change their mind anyway.

Get rid of the racists and the quality of threads will greatly increase and the quality of the posts will increase.

I've been here for a couple of days, just reading and getting a feel for the way things work. I've come to the conclusion that 80% of the posters are trolls, 15% are fools, 4% are partisan hacks and 1% are genuine people who want to discuss and debate.

That's because all the other kinds of posters have left in disgust.

Look at your avatar, asshole...that is how you post. I reply in kind, it is that simple.

Nonetheless, the PM's and the negs from racist teapers calling me ****** was enough for me to not care anymore (and USMB not caring but encouraging it). What is your excuse?

So your excuse is you are forced into it? Interesting?

As a side note, you never start any of this right?

:lmao: Who said I was forced into anything. If someone wants a respectful discussion, then they will act as if they want a respectful discussion and I will reply in kind. But veiled racism and overt racist comments are going to manifest vitriol.

As to your side note...no...I simply mirror the Teapers. They are just too stupid to realize it.

I don't see mirroring. You enjoy it, this just perpetuates the problem brought up in the OP.

I've been here for a couple of days, just reading and getting a feel for the way things work. I've come to the conclusion that 80% of the posters are trolls, 15% are fools, 4% are partisan hacks and 1% are genuine people who want to discuss and debate.

Kindly point out the one percent, we can actually do something about those people. :D

No, you can't. Only the Moderators can... and only of "personal attacks" are explicitly banned in the Terms of Service. And if the Moderators do it consistently, fairly... and ruthlessly.

It seems that virtually every thread in this forum deteriorates into "You're an idiot!", "Well, you're even more of an idiot!", "Let me explain just how big an idiot you are!", "Democrats are deliberately trying to destroy the country!", "Republicans hate immigrants, poor people, anyone who isn't white, and women!".

If that's what you want to do with your forum, I'm in no position to object. No one forced me to come here, and no one's forcing me to stay.

**Is** that what you want to do with this forum?

It's worse than that.

Even when one submits a post with objective, documented facts, the attacks and denials continue.

Yep...denials are okay..I have no problem with someone sticking to their guns...but the attacks and the red herring arguments are pathetic.

Nonsense threads get nonsense posts. Do we need to take a look at the active topics.

How about we explore the rampant racism and hate spewed by a massive amount of members.

If you truly feel racism on the board try ignoring those you think are the worst culprits rather than obsessing over it?
Every person that dives into a race discussion is not a racist. Likewise every thread about race isn't a net negative.
It is certainly one issue that will never get any better by ignoring it.

It seems that virtually every thread in this forum deteriorates into "You're an idiot!", "Well, you're even more of an idiot!", "Let me explain just how big an idiot you are!", "Democrats are deliberately trying to destroy the country!", "Republicans hate immigrants, poor people, anyone who isn't white, and women!".

If that's what you want to do with your forum, I'm in no position to object. No one forced me to come here, and no one's forcing me to stay.

**Is** that what you want to do with this forum?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

So your excuse is you are forced into it? Interesting?

As a side note, you never start any of this right?

:lmao: Who said I was forced into anything. If someone wants a respectful discussion, then they will act as if they want a respectful discussion and I will reply in kind. But veiled racism and overt racist comments are going to manifest vitriol.

As to your side note...no...I simply mirror the Teapers. They are just too stupid to realize it.

I don't see mirroring. You enjoy it, this just perpetuates the problem brought up in the OP.

No, I mirror it. If someone wants to have an honest discussion, I have an honest discussion. If someone wants to be nonsensical...I reply-in-kind.

I have been here and gone many times. Same old arguments from both sides repeated over and over. Know what would be novel? Working really hard to find areas of agreement. Sometimes that leads to a little mutual respect.

I can see we are going to disagree much more than agree Nutz, yet I am not a fan of racist remarks. See we have an area of agreement.

Another part of the problem is there's no final resolution to the conflicts, even when a given position is proven to be wrong, there's no concession on the part of those proven wrong; later someone else seeks to propagate the same failed premise and the conflict starts again, again with no final resolution – frustration and insults inevitably ensue.

People need to set the example, and make it known what should and shouldn't be tolerated in our community.

I think we should discard our political enmity for one another, not be so quick to rush to judgment on the motives of others, and avoid personally attacking each other at all costs. We have in our hands the ability to change the landscape of our community, but it will take effort, patience, conviction, and numbers.

Get rid of the racists and the quality of threads will greatly increase and the quality of the posts will increase.

We used to do that here, when I was a mod....if a slew of new stormfront type members came here, we just banned them from the get go....we didn't censor their speech, they just were not invited or welcomed, to the game.

But they are kind of hard to spot now since some people hate our President with a passion, and he also happens to be black.....things are said that probably would not normally be said by just regular ole folk type members...and also, this process may have been changed by management, I dunno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back